Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Khan: "Baalke, Pederson, Lawrence = Trifecta"

I think 31 of the 32 GMs would have taken Hutch over Walker. This was Baalke trying to be smarter than everyone else imo. We will see this year if he was in that aspect or he makes himself look like an idiot. Hopefully Walker improves a ton.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No question on quarterback and head coach.  I liked them at the time of acquisition and still like them now.  However, I feel that our GM being considered great is still to be determined.

I didn't like retaining Baalke as I didn't think he had earned it and felt a fresh start would be better for the organization given all the turmoil.  However, once it was obvious that he was going to be retained, I believed in giving him a chance.  I do think that sometimes people can learn from their past mistakes and get better at their jobs.  My hope was that this would be the case with Baalke.

As for his performance, I think it's very still to be determined.  Based upon what we do know, I would characterize Baalke as one who has a high batting average with the soft balls but has yet to show that he can hit a fast ball.  His successes have been early draft picks and high priced free agents.  If Trevor Lawrence wasn't sitting there at pick #1, this team would have had a losing record last year and the attitude towards this team's future would be completely different.  

I see Baalke receiving praise for finding 4 starters in the 2021 draft.  You have to remember that not only was he picking first in each round, but he had an extra first rounder and second rounder that were acquired prior to him being GM.  That's 5 picks in the top 65.  No, he didn't blow them, but finding starters there doesn't make him GM of the century either.  In the draft re-do in another thread that was made shortly after the 2021 draft, I selected 5 players who ended up starting in week one of their rookie years.  With early draft picks, you should expect good results.

His 2022 draft remains very questionable, even with the early picks.  Walker was the first overall pick and he wasn't even in the conversation for defensive rookie of the year.  They used another first round pick on Lloyd who lost his starting job mid-season.  Fortner started, but there are mixed reviews on his performance.  Some are highly critical.    PFF gave him a score below 50 and consider center to still be on the of the Jaguars biggest needs.  Muma was a questionable pick considering the Jaguars spent huge money on Oluokun in free agency and drafted a player at the same position in round 1.  If Lloyd does develop, does Muma go back to primarily being a special teams player?

Now, let's talk about Baalke's day 3 picks.  Again, it's early.  Maybe they all develop into great players and I hope so, but up to this point, they have generated almost no production for the Jaguars.  Over the two years, he drafted 4 defensive players on Day 3.  They have combined for 15 tackles and that's it.  They've had no interceptions, no sacks, no forced fumbles, no fumble recoveries, no tackles for a loss, etc.  Baalke also drafted 3 offensive players - a wide receiver, a tight end and a running back.  They have combined for 96 receiving yards, 42 rushing yards and 1 touchdown.  To me, a great GM occasionally hits on the mid to late picks.  Hopefully Baalke becomes a great GM, but I don't feel he has proven it yet.

While I appreciate the enthusiasm, we need to see this on a more consistent level. Remember how we all felt after 2017?

I do hope the op is correct. I just think it's smart to stay cautious.

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2023, 09:02 PM by Predator. Edited 1 time in total.)

I think he has a sound strategy.

Will his choices end up being good? Who knows. Being a GM is a streaky job.

Even GMs that have built Super Bowl teams go through a cold spells and get fired. It's the nature of the beast.

You can only hope you have a GM while they are having a good streak.

Unless you are a owner/GM, you are getting fired most likely multiple times in your career no matter how great of teams you may have built in the past.

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2023, 01:48 PM by Khan Artist. Edited 1 time in total.)

Yeah I'm way too gunshy to think we have sustained success for the long haul. It looks different than past runs because of Doug and Trevor, but I thought we were gonna be the toast of the AFC after both 2007 and 2017 soooo yeah.

A couple of things to mention after reading through some responses:

* I don't think in that interview with Khan that he necessarily praised Baalke beyond calling him the "right" GM. Many here are using other adjectives that I don't think Khan used. Calling him the right guy may mean he's a GM that takes direction from the coaches better than most for all we know.

* While I have not personally been effusive with praise for Baalke - he's certainly been better than the treatment ~20% of our fanbase gave him with the whole klown-out thing.
We'll have a much better idea about the front office element in this "trifecta" after we see what Walker and Lloyd do in their 2nd year in the league. They both need to step up to validate those selections, whether they were made primarily by the GM or the coaches.

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2023, 03:59 PM by TheDogCatcher.)

(04-03-2023, 11:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: A couple of things to mention after reading through some responses:

* I don't think in that interview with Khan that he necessarily praised Baalke beyond calling him the "right" GM. Many here are using other adjectives that I don't think Khan used. Calling him the right guy may mean he's a GM that takes direction from the coaches better than most for all we know.

* While I have not personally been effusive with praise for Baalke - he's certainly been better than the treatment ~20% of our fanbase gave him with the whole klown-out thing.
We'll have a much better idea about the front office element in this "trifecta" after we see what Walker and Lloyd do in their 2nd year in the league. They both need to step up to validate those selections, whether they were made primarily by the GM or the coaches.

I think so far he's been a mid-tier GM with the Jaguars. I wish we had the Ravens' Decosta or the Eagles' Roseman, but the Jaguars could certainly do much worse and have had much worse. The GMs in the division are all newbies learning on the job, except for the Colts' GM, who rode Reid & Mahomes's coattails to his job and hasn't been very effective. I wouldn't want any of them.

(04-02-2023, 10:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think 31 of the 32 GMs would have taken Hutch over Walker. This was Baalke trying to be smarter than everyone else imo.  We will see this year if he was in that aspect or he makes himself look like an idiot. Hopefully Walker improves a ton.

He was definitely taking a page out of Gene Smith's book there, only Smith would've picked someone on no one's radar from West Montana State.

I predict Walker can be salvaged if they play him inside at least half the time, especially third downs.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2023, 06:59 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 5 times in total.)

(04-03-2023, 03:56 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 11:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: A couple of things to mention after reading through some responses:

I think so far he's been a mid-tier GM with the Jaguars. I wish we had the Ravens' Decosta or the Eagles' Roseman, but the Jaguars could certainly do much worse and have had much worse. The GMs in the division are all newbies learning on the job, except for the Colts' GM, who rode Reid & Mahomes's coattails to his job and hasn't been very effective. I wouldn't want any of them.

(04-02-2023, 10:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think 31 of the 32 GMs would have taken Hutch over Walker. This was Baalke trying to be smarter than everyone else imo.  We will see this year if he was in that aspect or he makes himself look like an idiot. Hopefully Walker improves a ton.

He was definitely taking a page out of Gene Smith's book there, only Smith would've picked someone on no one's radar from West Montana State.

I predict Walker can be salvaged if they play him inside at least half the time, especially third downs.

I like Walker alot and think he can turn out to be a beast.  I just dont think he will ever be as good as Hutch, hopefully im wrong.  I didnt understand it because Hutch is a great athlete as well on top of the production.  Hutch is a top 20 all time in RAS and NFL. com had Hutch with the highest athletic score for edge last year.  Walker is a insane athlete but so is Hutch. Hutch had a better 3 cone, better shuttle, better 10 yrd split, and had 28 reps where Walker didnt bench, and better vertical than Walker. So he was the better athlete, with more production, and a better pass rusher.

(04-03-2023, 06:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 03:56 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: I think so far he's been a mid-tier GM with the Jaguars. I wish we had the Ravens' Decosta or the Eagles' Roseman, but the Jaguars could certainly do much worse and have had much worse. The GMs in the division are all newbies learning on the job, except for the Colts' GM, who rode Reid & Mahomes's coattails to his job and hasn't been very effective. I wouldn't want any of them.

I like Walker alot and think he can turn out to be a beast.  I just dont think he will ever be as good as Hutch, hopefully im wrong.  I didnt understand it because Hutch is a great athlete as well on top of the production.  Hutch is a top 20 all time in RAS and NFL. com had Hutch with the highest athletic score for edge last year.  Walker is a insane athlete but so is Hutch.  Hutch had a better 3 cone, better shuttle, better 10 yrd split, and had 28 reps where Walker didnt bench,  and better vertical than Walker.  So he was the better athlete, with more production, and a better pass rusher.

Yes, it was Baalke's ego getting the best of him. He wanted to be super scout, like Gene Smith. Hutch would've really solidified the defense and been a great leader on top of that. I honestly don't know why Baalke gets paid more than say $50,000/year. Any reasonably informed fan could probably produce the same or better drafts than him using a team of pro scouts, provided the fan doesn't often overrule the consensus picks with super scout reaches.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Just checking in to see if we signed a veteran DE yet…also hoping they move Walker inside. He has a little trouble beating up on tackles but I think he could whip guards on the regular and he could make those twists and stunts wreck plays and disrupt timing.

Nope, not gonna fall for that trap ever again

Anybody else having issues with the board? This is the only thread I was able to pull up. I was able to get in by google and clicking on a link. It’s been like this for 2 days.

(04-06-2023, 10:40 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Anybody else having issues with the board? This is the only thread I was able to pull up. I was able to get in by google and clicking on a link. It’s been like this for 2 days.

I had to kill any cached links. Couldn't connect to anything useful otherwise.

(04-06-2023, 10:40 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Anybody else having issues with the board? This is the only thread I was able to pull up. I was able to get in by google and clicking on a link. It’s been like this for 2 days.

There is literally a banner on the top of the page saying there are known issues, lol.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

You didn't quote anyone, so I'm not sure if you were referring to me.  If you are, I would point out that Baalke does use the adjective "great" in his interview with John Oehser.  His quote is:

"We've got a great head coach; we got a great general manager; and we have a great quarterback; and that's the tri-fecta for success in the NFL."

If you were referring to someone else, then never mind.

(03-31-2023, 11:39 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Yeah can we please have back to back successful seasons before we get out ahead on this? I am optimistic but really need to see a bit more before I join Khan with Teel Aid.

+1

(04-14-2023, 03:09 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-31-2023, 11:39 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Yeah can we please have back to back successful seasons before we get out ahead on this? I am optimistic but really need to see a bit more before I join Khan with Teel Aid.

+1

But the off-season is all about enjoying the teal-aid. Please don’t spoil it lol

(04-14-2023, 01:00 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:

You didn't quote anyone, so I'm not sure if you were referring to me.  If you are, I would point out that Baalke does use the adjective "great" in his interview with John Oehser.  His quote is:

"We've got a great head coach; we got a great general manager; and we have a great quarterback; and that's the tri-fecta for success in the NFL."

If you were referring to someone else, then never mind.

Was referencing numerous posts, but thanks for the detail and clarification. I missed that.

(04-07-2023, 06:18 PM)Dimson Wrote:

There is literally a banner on the top of the page saying there are known issues, lol.

I typed out that second sentence for people like you.