Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 NFL Draft - Head To Head

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2023, 04:48 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

Think we saw one of these threads float around before but I thought it would be fun to bring it up this year. Name two players at the same position and put them head-to-head. State your reason for and/or against the player in said head-to-head. I will start first. 

Darnell Washington Vs. Luke Musgrave

I favor Darnell Washington in this matchup. While Washington was limited behind Bowers. His size, speed and freak athleticism combined with his run blocking ability to put him over the top for me here. Musgrave just doesn't have enough film to look at, his stat sheet is okay, he's obviously the son of a coach, a coach we're all familiar with. 

He's still highly touted though with a lot of upside. I just have a tendency to favor the more experienced or proven player over the guy that's supposedly carrying the higher ceiling with potential.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-10-2023, 04:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Think we saw one of these threads float around before but I thought it would be fun to bring it up this year. Name two players at the same position and put them head-to-head. State your reason for and/or against the player in said head-to-head. I will start first. 

I favor Darnell Washington in this matchup. While Washington was limited behind Bowers. His size, speed and freak athleticism combined with his run blocking ability to put him over the top for me here. Musgrave just doesn't have enough film to look at, his stat sheet is okay, he's obviously the son of a coach, a coach we're all familiar with. 

He's still highly touted though with a lot of upside. I just have a tendency to favor the more experienced or proven player over the guy that's supposedly carrying the higher ceiling with potential.

Washington (just slightly)

Darnell Wright vs. Broderick Jones

(04-10-2023, 06:27 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-10-2023, 04:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Think we saw one of these threads float around before but I thought it would be fun to bring it up this year. Name two players at the same position and put them head-to-head. State your reason for and/or against the player in said head-to-head. I will start first. 

Washington (just slightly)

Darnell Wright vs. Broderick Jones
Nice.

I prefer Darnell Wright over Broderick Jones. For this team and our current situation at the moment. I like his versatility a lot more. He can play LT, RT or G. He helped pave the way for Hendon Hooker last year when the Vols had a nice run.

Jones will be a good LT in the NFL though. Only two years starting but he did the right thing getting out of there now with a new QB coming in and after going back to back as a Champion.

If I am being honest though. Wouldnt hurt my feelings nor surprise me if they did draft Jones.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Washington and Jones for me. Washington has a high a ceiling as anyone in this draft and he's like an extra lineman. I think Jones can play pretty much any spot on the oline, he just won 2 championships, and very athletic as well as Wright. I'd draft put Jones at LG day 1 and I think he could be an elite G for us this year. If Little struggles at RT just put him there if Cam stays at LT.

Brian Branch vs Deonte Banks?

(04-10-2023, 07:15 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Washington and Jones for me. Washington has a high a ceiling as anyone in this draft and he's like an extra lineman. I think Jones can play pretty much any spot on the oline, he just won 2 championships, and very athletic as well as Wright. I'd draft put Jones at LG day 1 and I think he could be an elite G for us this year. If Little struggles at RT just put him there if Cam stays at LT.

Brian Branch vs Deonte Banks?
Branch over Banks. Branch seems to be a lot more versatile and that gives us a lot of different looks defensively and the ability to probably mix it up with Cisco and Jenkins. I know some folks may not like it but he probably not only fits one of our biggest needs on day one but the value lines up perfectly.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Jones over Wright: Wright improved dramatically last season so this is another close one. Both can play guard in their rookie season.

Branch over Banks: Branch may be the one potential pick who would help the Jaguars the most in his rookie season. He'll fit perfectly at nickel, but can also play safety.

Myles Murphy or Will McDonald?

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2023, 07:34 AM by TheDogCatcher. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-11-2023, 12:18 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Jones over Wright: Wright improved dramatically last season so this is another close one. Both can play guard in their rookie season.

Branch over Banks: Branch may be the one potential pick who would help the Jaguars the most in his rookie season. He'll fit perfectly at nickel, but can also play safety.

Myles Murphy or Will McDonald?

Murphy. He’s more versatile and can generate pressure inside and outside. He’s also bigger and can stuff the run better.

Christian Gonzalez vs. Devon Witherspoon
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

McDonald over Murphy: Murphy is definitely lower risk, but he lacks the explosive pass rush potential of McDonald

Gonzalez over Witherspon: Both would be great picks and should be the first 2 corners taken. Nod to Gonzalez due to being close to 6'2".

Calijah Kancey vs Tyrannosaurus Rex

It's an interesting matchup to be certain.
In the end, despite the fact that he'll never last a full season before being kicked out of the league for devouring a teammate or opponent, I'm gonna go with the T-Rex here.

He's got longer arms, and if you've got a decent back, you should be able to run behind his blocks for days until his inevitable expulsion from the NFL.

Sorry, bad jokes happen when I'm bored.

For real though - With Kancey being so near Bresee in lots of mocks and big boards out there, it would be cool to hear them comped from someone who has really checked them out.
I've just watched a few videos and I'm scared of the downside on both prospects.

(04-11-2023, 12:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Calijah Kancey vs Tyrannosaurus Rex

It's an interesting matchup to be certain.
In the end, despite the fact that he'll never last a full season before being kicked out of the league for devouring a teammate or opponent, I'm gonna go with the T-Rex here.

He's got longer arms, and if you've got a decent back, you should be able to run behind his blocks for days until his inevitable expulsion from the NFL.

Sorry, bad jokes happen when I'm bored.

For real though - With Kancey being so near Bresee in lots of mocks and big boards out there, it would be cool to hear them comped from someone who has really checked them out.
I've just watched a few videos and I'm scared of the downside on both prospects.

Give be Kancey over Bresee all day. Kancey has a motor you just can't teach. And he has short arms his whole life, so he has learned how to compensate. His quickness more than makes up for short arms imo.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I would also prefer Kancey despite his physical limitations. While he won't be Aaron Donald, I do expect him to get 10 sacks per season due to his explosive pass rush skills.

Cody Mauch or Steve Avilla?

(04-11-2023, 03:29 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I would also prefer Kancey despite his physical limitations. While he won't be Aaron Donald, I do expect him to get 10 sacks per season due to his explosive pass rush skills.

Cody Mauch because he has red hair and looks edgy, which is ideal in a lineman. Maybe he pokes eyes under a fumble pileup. We could call him Cody the Red because he resembles a Viking. 

Will Levis vs. Herndon Hooker?
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(04-11-2023, 03:29 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I would also prefer Kancey despite his physical limitations. While he won't be Aaron Donald, I do expect him to get 10 sacks per season due to his explosive pass rush skills.

Mauch, because he plays Guard or Tackle but, I would be excited for either.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-11-2023, 09:27 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

Cody Mauch because he has red hair and looks edgy, which is ideal in a lineman. Maybe he pokes eyes under a fumble pileup. We could call him Cody the Red because he resembles a Viking. 

Will Levis vs. Herndon Hooker?

I'd go with Mauch, also. Could see him becoming a fan favorite due to his personality, looks, and aggressive style of play.

Levis vs. Hooker- Thankfully, we won't even have to think about new q.b. prospects for another decade. If we did, I'd go with Hooker. Levis seems like he'll be a bust.