Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Predraft Plans / Parties

What's everybody doing for the draft this year? Outside of actual gamedays, play-off games and the Superbowl the draft is really the next big thing for most fans to enjoy getting hammered and stuffing their faces. 

What's everybody's poison of choice next Thursday? Any dips, bakes, wings, burgers, finger food ideas I can steal? What's everybody drinking and throwing back to celebrate (or sulk)?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Friday night is supposed to be a dinner double date. May have to make sure my buddy and I can escape to the bar of the restaurant a few times to watch a few picks come in. Thursday and Saturday are likely screwed for me

(04-19-2023, 02:19 PM)Caldrac Wrote: What's everybody doing for the draft this year? Outside of actual gamedays, play-off games and the Superbowl the draft is really the next big thing for most fans to enjoy getting hammered and stuffing their faces. 

What's everybody's poison of choice next Thursday? Any dips, bakes, wings, burgers, finger food ideas I can steal? What's everybody drinking and throwing back to celebrate (or sulk)?

My kid has youth on Thursdays, so early part of the first will be taxi service and waiting impatiently for him to get done. 

Then it's to the local watering hole with friends to forget work, laugh at stupid trades/picks, and hope the place doesn't close for the night before we get to the podium.

Friday night wifey will be at an event so I will be entertaining two kids and teaching them to boo when the commissioner is on screen.

#PeakDadding

Damn. Mine will be interesting. Think I'll just throw together some buffalo chicken dip and taco bake for Thursday night. Working from home on Friday but then I got to load up the SUV and get ready for a camping trip in Ocala for that weekend that my wife and her friend decided to spring on me as a " birthday present".

My birthday is the draft night man. Every once in a while on the 27th it falls on my birthday. That's all I need damn it! Should be fun though camping and getting updates through you guys on here and online.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I'll be sitting on my [BLEEP] at home with my foot propped up on some pillows.  Had to have some hardware removed from when I shattered my ankle back in 2019 and I'll still be in recovery mode.  Don't want to get too blasted while on crutches.  I will be consuming some edibles delicious fruit chews that I brought back from my Reno trip.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-20-2023, 10:17 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I'll be sitting on my [BLEEP] at home with my foot propped up on some pillows.  Had to have some hardware removed from when I shattered my ankle back in 2019 and I'll still be in recovery mode.  Don't want to get too blasted while on crutches.  I will be consuming some edibles delicious fruit chews that I brought back from my Reno trip.

Nice! Hope you have a good and speedy recovery!

Draft "weekend" is my favorite time of year. Thursday night I have the same group of 5 friends and Jaguars fans over my house. My wife makes a great taco dip in addition to other side dishes. Another tradition is taking out an old picture of Joel Bushbaum, the original draft guru before Mel Kiper got his start. I hang it on the fireplace mantel. For those of you too young to know about Bushbaum, he published an annual draft guide and was so knowledgeable that even some NFL General Managers acknowledged that they utilized this guide as part of their decision-making process. He was the ultimate draft "nerd" who worked on his guide literally 365 days a year. He never married and died at a relatively young age due to an undisclosed disease/condition with his loyal dog by his side. We always begin the night with a "moment of silence" in his honor!

I always post my Draft Board next to Joel's picture and cross off the names of players selected prior to the Jaguars' pick. Of course, the last two years were easy.- especially 2021 with Trevor standing alone at the top of the Board. A new Board is prepared prior to day 2 with the hope that some of my favorite players will be available when they pick in rounds 2 and 3.

This year is somewhat unique in the sense that the Jaguars will be favorites to win the AFC South and a solid draft class could make them definite Super Bowl contenders, if not this season then definitely in 2024.

(04-20-2023, 11:48 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Draft "weekend" is my favorite time of year. Thursday night I have the same group of 5 friends and Jaguars fans over my house. My wife makes a great taco dip in addition to other side dishes. Another tradition is taking out an old picture of Joel Bushbaum, the original draft guru before Mel Kiper got his start. I hang it on the fireplace mantel. For those of you too young to know about Bushbaum, he published an annual draft guide and was so knowledgeable that even some NFL General Managers acknowledged that they utilized this guide as part of their decision-making process. He was the ultimate draft "nerd" who worked on his guide literally 365 days a year. He never married and died at a relatively young age due to an undisclosed disease/condition with his loyal dog by his side. We always begin the night with a "moment of silence" in his honor!

I always post my Draft Board next to Joel's picture and cross off the names of players selected prior to the Jaguars' pick. Of course, the last two years were easy.- especially 2021 with Trevor standing alone at the top of the Board. A new Board is prepared prior to day 2 with the hope that some of my favorite players will be available when they pick in rounds 2 and 3.

This year is somewhat unique in the sense that the Jaguars will be favorites to win the AFC South and a solid draft class could make them definite Super Bowl contenders, if not this season then definitely in 2024.

This is awesome!

(04-20-2023, 11:48 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Draft "weekend" is my favorite time of year. Thursday night I have the same group of 5 friends and Jaguars fans over my house. My wife makes a great taco dip in addition to other side dishes. Another tradition is taking out an old picture of Joel Bushbaum, the original draft guru before Mel Kiper got his start. I hang it on the fireplace mantel. For those of you too young to know about Bushbaum, he published an annual draft guide and was so knowledgeable that even some NFL General Managers acknowledged that they utilized this guide as part of their decision-making process. He was the ultimate draft "nerd" who worked on his guide literally 365 days a year. He never married and died at a relatively young age due to an undisclosed disease/condition with his loyal dog by his side. We always begin the night with a "moment of silence" in his honor!

This is so cool dude! Cheers to you.

For Thursday, I'm gonna whip out the inflatable projector screen. Throw it in the back yard with a nice little fire going. Have my friends come over with the moscow mules flowing and then yell at the screen on the first reach of the draft.

Been doing this for a few years now and it's really fun.

(04-20-2023, 12:20 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

This is so cool dude! Cheers to you.

For Thursday, I'm gonna whip out the inflatable projector screen. Throw it in the back yard with a nice little fire going. Have my friends come over with the moscow mules flowing and then yell at the screen on the first reach of the draft.

Been doing this for a few years now and it's really fun.

That sounds awesome!

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2023, 01:46 PM by jaglou53.)

(04-20-2023, 12:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

This is awesome!

Thanks. I realize it's a little extreme, but it's a harmless hobby which brings me pleasure. Much better and safer than doing drugs or messing around with other women.?

(04-20-2023, 01:43 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-20-2023, 12:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote: This is awesome!

Thanks. I realize it's a little extreme, but it's a harmless hobby which brings me pleasure. Much better and safer than doing drugs or messing around with other women.?

I meant that question mark at the end to be a smiley face (or was it just a Freudian slip?).

(04-20-2023, 01:43 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-20-2023, 12:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote: This is awesome!

(04-20-2023, 01:43 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Thanks. I realize it's a little extreme, but it's a harmless hobby which brings me pleasure. Much better and safer than doing drugs or messing around with other women.?

I meant that question mark at the end to be a smiley face (or was it just a Freudian slip?).

You're clearly considering it. 
Tongue

Also - cool draft plans/tradition.

(04-20-2023, 04:46 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-20-2023, 01:43 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Thanks. I realize it's a little extreme, but it's a harmless hobby which brings me pleasure. Much better and safer than doing drugs or messing around with other women.?

You're clearly considering it. 
Tongue

Also - cool draft plans/tradition.

Which one? If I were, I'd prefer the latter since the death would be very quick and hopefully not too painful!

Draft weekend will always be bitter sweet for me going forward. Excited that the draft is finally here and who we will acquire, but it's a sobering reminder of my dad passing away. Sat in a hospital room for over 8 hours on day 2 of the draft back in 2016 waiting for him to pass. Can't believe it'll be 7 years already, man how time flies.

As usual, I'll be throwing back some cold ones for him. The man loved his beer and of course football.

I'm going to watch YouTube. Better than ESPN or the network.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-20-2023, 10:32 PM)Dimson Wrote: I'm going to watch YouTube. Better than ESPN or the network.

Which channel or coverage team do you watch on YouTube?

(04-20-2023, 08:42 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Draft weekend will always be bitter sweet for me going forward. Excited that the draft is finally here and who we will acquire, but it's a sobering reminder of my dad passing away. Sat in a hospital room for over 8 hours on day 2 of the draft back in 2016 waiting for him to pass. Can't believe it'll be 7 years already, man how time flies.

As usual, I'll be throwing back some cold ones for him. The man loved his beer and of course football.

God bless him. He made it so enjoyable for you to honor his memory!
Beer and football.

(04-20-2023, 08:42 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Draft weekend will always be bitter sweet for me going forward. Excited that the draft is finally here and who we will acquire, but it's a sobering reminder of my dad passing away. Sat in a hospital room for over 8 hours on day 2 of the draft back in 2016 waiting for him to pass. Can't believe it'll be 7 years already, man how time flies.

I’ll throw one back for him too man.

Cheers.

I hear yas man.  Same day my wife passed in 2015. It is bitter sweet. Bitter (well you know why) Sweet because even though she was a fan she always took delight (my opinion) in planning other functions on draft weekend.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Appreciate it fellas.

Now I didn't mean to bring the mood down as this is a very exciting time for all football fans. I'll be watching on NFL Network as usual. I prefer it over ESPN. I stay off twitter as well because the picks are always leaked early on there.

Can't say I've ever watched any of the YouTube casts of the Draft.

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2023, 10:45 PM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-22-2023, 08:40 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Appreciate it fellas.

Now I didn't mean to bring the mood down as this is a very exciting time for all football fans. I'll be watching on NFL Network as usual. I prefer it over ESPN. I stay off twitter as well because the picks are always leaked early on there.

Can't say I've ever watched any of the YouTube casts of the Draft.

I'll be playing pool in my garage having a few adult beverages. Weather permitting I open  the doors and our cul-de-sac gathers to comment.
A new broom always sweeps clean.