Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cam Robinson- Suspended (merged)

The suspension is really convenient for us really. Presuming no fitness issues to start the year it allows us to bed in Little at LT, Harrison at RT. In terms of Little's development we really wanted to see him playing at LT and the Cam situation made that awkward, whereas now that is resolved. Then when he returns we can use Cam as a swing tackle/injury replacement/guard or even at LT or RT depending on the performance so far. He can have no complaints and will want to show he is still worth a contract elsewhere so you'd presume he'll be much more amenable to be moved around and show he can be a team player.

It also forced us to address an important position that was previously a weakness with the 1st rounder. If this didn't happen they probably only use a 3/4 on a tackle, Little starts RT and then we have to address it next year instead whilst not knowing how good Little is and having a weaker line this year in the process. If it was me I think I'd use the 1st pick on the line every year once you have a QB, particularly in the bottom half of the round.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think Cam could be an elite G. I think he will be a better G than a T. He rarely ever gets overpowered, it's usually by the quick edge rusher when he gets beat. He has already gotten paid and suspended so when he comes back and Doug wants him to play G hopefully he will be good with it and do what's best for the team.

(05-16-2023, 09:11 AM)wassy04 Wrote: The suspension is really convenient for us really. Presuming no fitness issues to start the year it allows us to bed in Little at LT, Harrison at RT. In terms of Little's development we really wanted to see him playing at LT and the Cam situation made that awkward, whereas now that is resolved. Then when he returns we can use Cam as a swing tackle/injury replacement/guard or even at LT or RT depending on the performance so far. He can have no complaints and will want to show he is still worth a contract elsewhere so you'd presume he'll be much more amenable to be moved around and show he can be a team player.

It also forced us to address an important position that was previously a weakness with the 1st rounder. If this didn't happen they probably only use a 3/4 on a tackle, Little starts RT and then we have to address it next year instead whilst not knowing how good Little is and having a weaker line this year in the process. If it was me I think I'd use the 1st pick on the line every year once you have a QB, particularly in the bottom half of the round.

Regarding the bolded text - yes, it is convenient that way. Good point, but I'd add the disclaimer that if the details of his suspension and offense turn out to show he did something very selfish and irresponsible, then it will overshadow that "convenience" to some degree.
(05-16-2023, 10:01 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think Cam could be an elite G.  I think he will be a better G than a T.  He rarely ever gets overpowered, it's usually by the quick edge rusher when he gets beat.  He has already gotten paid and suspended so when he comes back and Doug wants him to play G hopefully he will be good with it and do what's best for the team.

Yes, I'd like to see him compete at LG, but I'm not optimistic about him suddenly doing a 180 degree turn on his arrogant  little "I only play LT" song and dance.

(05-16-2023, 10:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-16-2023, 09:11 AM)wassy04 Wrote: The suspension is really convenient for us really. Presuming no fitness issues to start the year it allows us to bed in Little at LT, Harrison at RT. In terms of Little's development we really wanted to see him playing at LT and the Cam situation made that awkward, whereas now that is resolved. Then when he returns we can use Cam as a swing tackle/injury replacement/guard or even at LT or RT depending on the performance so far. He can have no complaints and will want to show he is still worth a contract elsewhere so you'd presume he'll be much more amenable to be moved around and show he can be a team player.

Regarding the bolded text - yes, it is convenient that way. Good point, but I'd add the disclaimer that if the details of his suspension and offense turn out to show he did something very selfish and irresponsible, then it will overshadow that "convenience" to some degree.
(05-16-2023, 10:01 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think Cam could be an elite G.  I think he will be a better G than a T.  He rarely ever gets overpowered, it's usually by the quick edge rusher when he gets beat.  He has already gotten paid and suspended so when he comes back and Doug wants him to play G hopefully he will be good with it and do what's best for the team.

Yes, I'd like to see him compete at LG, but I'm not optimistic about him suddenly doing a 180 degree turn on his arrogant  little "I only play LT" song and dance.

Has he actually said that btw, or is it just rumours coming out of the team?

(05-16-2023, 11:27 AM)wassy04 Wrote:
(05-16-2023, 10:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Regarding the bolded text - yes, it is convenient that way. Good point, but I'd add the disclaimer that if the details of his suspension and offense turn out to show he did something very selfish and irresponsible, then it will overshadow that "convenience" to some degree.

Has he actually said that btw, or is it just rumours coming out of the team?

about only playing LT? 

He said it prior to last offseason's workouts.

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2023, 09:17 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

Cam is not going to guard. He appears to consider that an insult, There’s a better chance that the rookie will play guard and there doesn’t seem to be a chance of that at either. Too bad because it would be terrific to have all those guys on the same starting line. That’s a lot of collective talent.

(05-16-2023, 10:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Any LT would say the same thing.  No LT wants to move to OG or RT.  There's huge amounts of money involved.

(05-16-2023, 01:37 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-16-2023, 10:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Regarding the bolded text - yes, it is convenient that way. Good point, but I'd add the disclaimer that if the details of his suspension and offense turn out to show he did something very selfish and irresponsible, then it will overshadow that "convenience" to some degree.

Any LT would say the same thing.  No LT wants to move to OG or RT.  There's huge amounts of money involved.

Weird, because I've heard plenty of tackles say they'd do whatever their team needed them to do.

He did make these comments when he was under the tag and wanting a long term deal that he frankly did not deserve, so money, or the pursuit of it may have affected his decision to be pompous about it. That's fine. 

The situation is different now, so it will be interesting to see if he backs down from that stance. 
He got paid more than he was worth and then got promptly suspended for being irresponsible about what he puts in his body. This would be the time for him to switch to a team first mentality. 

I just have a feeling he won't. I hope I'm wrong.

My,My we are all coaches and the players are unfeeling chess players. (motivation is a given I guess)

Trade Cam before or during the 2023 season? absolutely not. We have currently 2 veteran guys who can play left tackle, one of which can jump in at right tackle if we need. We have a rookie who has all the tools to play right tackle. (I am thinking if he can work hard, get stronger and develop his punch be pretty good in the Searcy mold) We need all three guys. that leaves the first 6 games we will not have one of them to navigate.

I do agree Cam put himself in a tenuous situation much like Wally Pip did when he laid out a few games letting Gehrig fill in for him.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Cam's cap hit and suspension make him a highly unlikely trading candidate to begin with. Best case scenario. Both of our tackles are playing outstanding and he's forced to play Guard when he gets back, or, worst case, one of our tackles is so-so and they deserve to be in the swing tackle role and on the bench. Either way. He's not in a Jaguars uniform in 2024 and beyond.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-17-2023, 08:04 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Cam's cap hit and suspension make him a highly unlikely trading candidate to begin with. Best case scenario. Both of our tackles are playing outstanding and he's forced to play Guard when he gets back, or, worst case, one of our tackles is so-so and they deserve to be in the swing tackle role and on the bench. Either way. He's not in a Jaguars uniform in 2024 and beyond.

Best case is that we don't need him at all when he comes back because the starting five are doing the job.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-17-2023, 08:04 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Cam's cap hit and suspension make him a highly unlikely trading candidate to begin with. Best case scenario. Both of our tackles are playing outstanding and he's forced to play Guard when he gets back, or, worst case, one of our tackles is so-so and they deserve to be in the swing tackle role and on the bench. Either way. He's not in a Jaguars uniform in 2024 and beyond.

...is he eligible to appear in preseason, though?

No idea if he is recovered and ready, but I know Watson did that last season, got a few reps in the new duds before going on league-induced hiatus.  If Cam is similarly eligible and can show that he's back to form, that might help us if a desperate team comes calling to rent his services.

Plus, doesn't hurt to keep the fire under the youngsters' feet; knowing in the back of your mind that the pricey vet is looking to take your place in a month and a half might be good motivation to keep honing the craft or shake off that nagging sore ankle.

When do we find out how many games he’s suspended? What’s the big secret?

(05-17-2023, 12:39 PM)Mikey Wrote:

...is he eligible to appear in preseason, though?

No idea if he is recovered and ready, but I know Watson did that last season, got a few reps in the new duds before going on league-induced hiatus.  If Cam is similarly eligible and can show that he's back to form, that might help us if a desperate team comes calling to rent his services.

Plus, doesn't hurt to keep the fire under the youngsters' feet; knowing in the back of your mind that the pricey vet is looking to take your place in a month and a half might be good motivation to keep honing the craft or shake off that nagging sore ankle.
I think he can play in the preseason.

Deshaun played against the Jags in preseason.

(05-16-2023, 08:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 10:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: He did not perform up to the level of his deal last year, nearly got our franchise QB injured, and now has gotten himself suspended.

He's good as gone and he should be. 
He basically fleeced the Jags last year because they didn't have enough OT talent to move on without him yet. 
Now they do.

If he comes back week 7 or whenever, he likely won't play unless someone is hurt or a badly underperforming.  
I'd try to trade him to a team with injury trouble at tackle early in the season. 
Get something out of that bad extension.

(05-16-2023, 03:24 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Best case scenario:

A playoff contender loses a tackle to injury before the trade deadline, they send us a 2nd round pick out of desperation for Cam.

While I proposed this two weeks ago, if Cam is approaching this situation as a "team player" he could be valuable down the stretch as depth (at tackle or guard.) 

I guess it comes down to price, like most things.

This is true, but I do wonder how it would go if say, Little and Harrison are playing well enough to the point where the team wouldn't stick Cam back into the lineup. Would he suck it up and play guard? I doubt it. Would he be nice as depth incase of an injury? yes but not at his price point. So I think all signs lead to him being traded right before the deadline, unless Harrison/Little aren't playing well.

(05-18-2023, 02:44 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(05-16-2023, 08:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: While I proposed this two weeks ago, if Cam is approaching this situation as a "team player" he could be valuable down the stretch as depth (at tackle or guard.) 

I guess it comes down to price, like most things.

This is true, but I do wonder how it would go if say, Little and Harrison are playing well enough to the point where the team wouldn't stick Cam back into the lineup. Would he suck it up and play guard? I doubt it. Would he be nice as depth incase of an injury? yes but not at his price point. So I think all signs lead to him being traded right before the deadline, unless Harrison/Little aren't playing well.

The guard talk is a nonstarter IMO. You don't take a guy who's never played the position and stick him in the lineup after he's not practiced or played for a month or more. If Cam is the best option at LG at that point then we screwed something up this off-season or we're injury plagued. Ithink (hope really) that he's a costly insurance policy next year and we move on with our two good starters and a new backup in 2024.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-18-2023, 06:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-18-2023, 02:44 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: This is true, but I do wonder how it would go if say, Little and Harrison are playing well enough to the point where the team wouldn't stick Cam back into the lineup. Would he suck it up and play guard? I doubt it. Would he be nice as depth incase of an injury? yes but not at his price point. So I think all signs lead to him being traded right before the deadline, unless Harrison/Little aren't playing well.

The guard talk is a nonstarter IMO. You don't take a guy who's never played the position and stick him in the lineup after he's not practiced or played for a month or more. If Cam is the best option at LG at that point then we screwed something up this off-season or we're injury plagued. Ithink (hope really) that he's a costly insurance policy next year and we move on with our two good starters and a new backup in 2024.

Zero people suggested that ^

There would obviously be a process if they were unhappy enough with Bartch and the depth below him to figure out if Cam might be a better option. 

Tackles sliding into a guard spot midseason isn't some foreign concept we've never seen before. We have. 
I even recall our own team doing it in the Mularkey and Bradley eras. 
CR coming off injury, suspension, and the whole "I only play LT" thing all work against any likelihood of it happening though. 

And - dozens of folks that posted here about needs in the months leading up to the draft would tell you that we did indeed screw up something this off-season by not adding viable competition at LG. Many called for it. 

Hopefully Bartch is healthy and improved and the whole thing is moot.

(05-19-2023, 09:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-18-2023, 06:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The guard talk is a nonstarter IMO. You don't take a guy who's never played the position and stick him in the lineup after he's not practiced or played for a month or more. If Cam is the best option at LG at that point then we screwed something up this off-season or we're injury plagued. Ithink (hope really) that he's a costly insurance policy next year and we move on with our two good starters and a new backup in 2024.

Zero people suggested that ^

There would obviously be a process if they were unhappy enough with Bartch and the depth below him to figure out if Cam might be a better option. 

Tackles sliding into a guard spot midseason isn't some foreign concept we've never seen before. We have. 
CR coming off injury, suspension, and the whole "I only play LT" thing all work against any likelihood of it happening though. 

And - dozens of folks that posted here about needs in the months leading up to the draft would tell you that we did indeed screw up something this off-season by not adding viable competition at LG. Many called for it. 

C'mon man, the post I quoted literally asked the question. Others in this thread have asked the question if he would move inside; it's not something no one has suggested. I simply think it's 99.9% unlikely to happen at any point this year.

(05-19-2023, 09:59 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-19-2023, 09:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Zero people suggested that ^

C'mon man, the post I quoted literally asked the question. Others in this thread have asked the question if he would move inside; it's not something no one has suggested. I simply think it's 99.9% unlikely to happen at any point this year.

"stick him in the lineup after he's not played or practiced"  was the bit I was focusing on. That's clearly not how it would go down if it went down at all.

Regardless, it is unlikely no matter what the process. Even if they gave him practice reps after his suspension and waited till after the bye week to actually insert him, it's unlikely.

(05-16-2023, 02:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-16-2023, 01:37 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Any LT would say the same thing.  No LT wants to move to OG or RT.  There's huge amounts of money involved.

Weird, because I've heard plenty of tackles say they'd do whatever their team needed them to do.

He did make these comments when he was under the tag and wanting a long term deal that he frankly did not deserve, so money, or the pursuit of it may have affected his decision to be pompous about it. That's fine. 

The situation is different now, so it will be interesting to see if he backs down from that stance. 
He got paid more than he was worth and then got promptly suspended for being irresponsible about what he puts in his body. This would be the time for him to switch to a team first mentality. 

I just have a feeling he won't. I hope I'm wrong.

Would a player ever really publicly decide to just not play though in what is essentially a new contract year that he'll be missing a third of?

I guess he could feign injury like Ramsey and just take his chances next year after being moved or cut?

I wonder if that happens if they don't try to find a trade spot immediately for whatever they could get (like a 4th rounder)?