Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tank Bigsby RB Round 3

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2023, 06:53 PM by RicoTx. Edited 2 times in total.)

(05-04-2023, 03:01 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 01:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Folks call him starting caliber because he has started games in the NFL and produced very well in those opportunities.

Yeah it (that he's a starter or he's very good depth) just seems to get mentioned a lot around here without any context.  That's pie in the sky thinking considering the contract and his mere 7 touches in 15 games last year.  Sure he played well 2 years ago over a small sample of games (3 impressive games to be precise), but that's a long time ago in RB years by the time the season rolls around.  Hope springs eternal I guess.  How many unhatched chickens we up to now?

He was behind Kareem Hunt who had over 100 carries and Nick Chubb who had over 200 in 2022.  He didn’t get a chance.  When they were both hurt in 2021 he had over 500 yards on the ground and over 5 YPC including, I believe, a 200 yard game.  If that’s ‘pie in the sky’, I’ll have a slice.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-04-2023, 03:01 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 01:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Folks call him starting caliber because he has started games in the NFL and produced very well in those opportunities.

Yeah it (that he's a starter or he's very good depth) just seems to get mentioned a lot around here without any context.  That's pie in the sky thinking considering the contract and his mere 7 touches in 15 games last year.  Sure he played well 2 years ago over a small sample of games (3 impressive games to be precise), but that's a long time ago in RB years by the time the season rolls around.  Hope springs eternal I guess.  How many unhatched chickens we up to now?

4 chickens by my count

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2023, 09:22 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-04-2023, 06:33 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 03:01 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Yeah it (that he's a starter or he's very good depth) just seems to get mentioned a lot around here without any context.  That's pie in the sky thinking considering the contract and his mere 7 touches in 15 games last year.  Sure he played well 2 years ago over a small sample of games (3 impressive games to be precise), but that's a long time ago in RB years by the time the season rolls around.  Hope springs eternal I guess.  How many unhatched chickens we up to now?

He was behind Kareem Hunt who had over 100 carries and Nick Chubb who had over 200 in 2022.  He didn’t get a chance.  When they were both hurt in 2021 he had over 500 yards on the ground and over 5 YPC including, I believe, a 200 yard game.  If that’s ‘pie in the sky’, I’ll have a slice.

You're fooling yourself.  Kareem Hunt wasn't all that efficient last year and they let both he and D'Ernest walk in free agency.  7 touches in 15 games behind 3.8 ypc Kareem Hunt and then a "nice knowin' ya" by the Browns front office and then the "here's $50 grand to come try out for the team" by us.  All I'm saying is expectations should be tempered significantly from where they are with him.

(05-04-2023, 09:18 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 06:33 PM)RicoTx Wrote: He was behind Kareem Hunt who had over 100 carries and Nick Chubb who had over 200 in 2022.  He didn’t get a chance.  When they were both hurt in 2021 he had over 500 yards on the ground and over 5 YPC including, I believe, a 200 yard game.  If that’s ‘pie in the sky’, I’ll have a slice.

You're fooling yourself.  Kareem Hunt wasn't all that efficient last year and they let both he and D'Ernest walk in free agency.  7 touches in 15 games behind 3.8 ypc Kareem Hunt and then a "nice knowin' ya" by the Browns front office.  All I'm saying is expectations should be tempered significantly from where they are with him.

I haven't seen any high expectations expressed anywhere. What are you seeing, exactly? 

He simply gets mentioned as one of the many reasons not to draft RB ahead of pass rush, nickel-corner and LG.

This is the season of everyone falling in love with the shiney new toys drafted. INo one really knows what they have at the moment but nary a bad word will be said. Well until August then most everyone will suddenly get trashed ! I love it. LOL
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2023, 09:48 PM by Jag88.)

(05-04-2023, 09:30 PM)Jag149 Wrote: This is the season of everyone falling in love with the shiney new toys drafted. INo one really knows what they have at the moment but nary a bad word will be said.  Well until August then most everyone will suddenly get trashed !  I love it.  LOL

Yes, the countdown to the trash talk.

(05-04-2023, 09:18 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 06:33 PM)RicoTx Wrote: He was behind Kareem Hunt who had over 100 carries and Nick Chubb who had over 200 in 2022.  He didn’t get a chance.  When they were both hurt in 2021 he had over 500 yards on the ground and over 5 YPC including, I believe, a 200 yard game.  If that’s ‘pie in the sky’, I’ll have a slice.

You're fooling yourself.  Kareem Hunt wasn't all that efficient last year and they let both he and D'Ernest walk in free agency.  7 touches in 15 games behind 3.8 ypc Kareem Hunt and then a "nice knowin' ya" by the Browns front office and then the "here's $50 grand to come try out for the team" by us.  All I'm saying is expectations should be tempered significantly from where they are with him.

For one.  I have no expectations other than he's a good running back.  Secondly, you have two multi-million dollar running backs.  Exactly who do you think they're going to play?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-04-2023, 09:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 09:18 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: You're fooling yourself.  Kareem Hunt wasn't all that efficient last year and they let both he and D'Ernest walk in free agency.  7 touches in 15 games behind 3.8 ypc Kareem Hunt and then a "nice knowin' ya" by the Browns front office.  All I'm saying is expectations should be tempered significantly from where they are with him.

I haven't seen any high expectations expressed anywhere. What are you seeing, exactly? 

He simply gets mentioned as one of the many reasons not to draft RB ahead of pass rush, nickel-corner and LG.

"Starting RB" usually has some connotations that go along with it that I wouldn't apply to a guy who stepped in for a stretch 2 years ago and then was almost absent the stat sheet last year without any listed injury.  The only thing he is right now is a camp body until he earns his spot on the team.  As you say, many folks cited him as the reason our RB depth was "fine" or something to that effect.  I'm just not rushing to proclaim he's made the 53 man yet given the circumstance, so counting him as depth and calling our RB room "fine" or something similar seems to be higher expectations than there should be or should've been leading up to the draft.  I was guilty as well when Tank was selected.  Wasn't expecting RB there at all, but when reviewing the game logs for the guys in our RB room and their contracts, the need became clear and the proclamation that our RB room didn't need to be addressed in a relatively significant way began sounding ill-informed.

(05-04-2023, 10:19 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 09:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I haven't seen any high expectations expressed anywhere. What are you seeing, exactly? 

"Starting RB" usually has some connotations that go along with it that I wouldn't apply to a guy who stepped in for a stretch 2 years ago and then was almost absent the stat sheet last year without any listed injury.  The only thing he is right now is a camp body until he earns his spot on the team.  As you say, many folks cited him as the reason our RB depth was "fine" or something to that effect.  I'm just not rushing to proclaim he's made the 53 man yet given the circumstance, so counting him as depth and calling our RB room "fine" or something similar seems to be higher expectations than there should be or should've been leading up to the draft.  I was guilty as well when Tank was selected.  Wasn't expecting RB there at all, but when reviewing the game logs for the guys in our RB room and their contracts, the need became clear and the proclamation that our RB room didn't need to be addressed in a relatively significant way began sounding ill-informed.

Agreed. If Etienne gets 1300 yards this year and 1400 next year, he’s  going to want a big payday too.

(05-04-2023, 10:01 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 09:18 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: You're fooling yourself.  Kareem Hunt wasn't all that efficient last year and they let both he and D'Ernest walk in free agency.  7 touches in 15 games behind 3.8 ypc Kareem Hunt and then a "nice knowin' ya" by the Browns front office and then the "here's $50 grand to come try out for the team" by us.  All I'm saying is expectations should be tempered significantly from where they are with him.

For one.  I have no expectations other than he's a good running back.  Secondly, you have two multi-million dollar running backs.  Exactly who do you think they're going to play?

If they felt they could get more out of him than Kareem, they would have have given him more than 7 touches is all.  You don't have to bench anyone to do that.  At best, they viewed D'Ernest to be comparable, but they could have viewed him as inferior as well we'll never know.  Based on Kareem's 2022 stat line, it leaves something to be desired either way.

(05-04-2023, 10:19 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 09:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I haven't seen any high expectations expressed anywhere. What are you seeing, exactly? 

It’s OK that you like the pick. 
It’s OK that you see need there.
It’s fine that you don’t mind the need being addressed in the third round, but that’s where I depart from your reasoning. 

There’s no sense in you hyperbolizing my stance to try making your point.

(05-05-2023, 12:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 10:19 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: "Starting RB" usually has some connotations that go along with it that I wouldn't apply to a guy who stepped in for a stretch 2 years ago and then was almost absent the stat sheet last year without any listed injury.  The only thing he is right now is a camp body until he earns his spot on the team.  As you say, many folks cited him as the reason our RB depth was "fine" or something to that effect.  I'm just not rushing to proclaim he's made the 53 man yet given the circumstance, so counting him as depth and calling our RB room "fine" or something similar seems to be higher expectations than there should be or should've been leading up to the draft.  I was guilty as well when Tank was selected.  Wasn't expecting RB there at all, but when reviewing the game logs for the guys in our RB room and their contracts, the need became clear and the proclamation that our RB room didn't need to be addressed in a relatively significant way began sounding ill-informed.

It’s OK that you like the pick. 
It’s OK that you see need there.
It’s fine that you don’t mind the need being addressed in the third round, but that’s where I depart from your reasoning. 

There’s no sense in you hyperbolizing my stance to try making your point.

I have a good idea what your position is.  I was speaking primarily to the general reaction in the draft day thread when he was selected since we kinda shifted to "What I'm seeing" about what's being said or has been said about the pick and by extension D'Ernest.  I wasn't reading that as "What am I seeing from you specifically."  Perhaps my response would have been more clear had I said proclamations instead of proclamation.  In reading it back the way I intended, I don't see any hyperbole, but I wasn't specifically targeting your stance either.  I was just responding to your question.  

When someone says D'Ernest is a quality back up, or there was no need at RB for us, there are implied expectations for D'Ernest that go along with that.  Those expectations may or may not be correct.  We'll find out in camp or maybe during the season, but if you find out otherwise at that point you're now behind the 8 ball in attempting to address the issue.  All I've said and all I'm saying is the most recent evidence we have on D'Ernest doesn't necessarily support that assertion.  There was, in fact, a need at RB upon reviewing things.  And lastly, to add, I doubt need alone is driving their decisions, nor should it in the draft.  I generally agree not to spend very high draft capital on a RB except in very specific scenarios and situations, I just still give more weight to player evaluation over positional valuation and the 3rd round isn't a big deal to invest in RB to me.

I'm just glad Doug and the front office values the RB position more than a lot of people on this board.

(05-05-2023, 10:10 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm just glad Doug and the front office values the RB position more than a lot of people on this board.

I value the position quite a bit. Most of my favorite NFL players historically are RBs. Nothing gets me more fired up than a big run on game day. And it's a key component of a good offense, obviously.

I just evaluate and prioritize it's current state on our club as "better off" than a few other groups we may have addressed efficiently in the third round. 

It's not a big deal to me and I hope Tank pans out to make a difference, I'd just have added another RB using less capital instead of taking him in the 3rd. 

I actually think the 4th round ILB pick was a slightly more egregious departure from efficient use of draft capital than the RB pick, but I'm really not flipping out over either of them. 
Just slightly disappointed we couldn't address pass rush and NB sooner than we did. 
The draft wasn't  a failure, we aren't grossly over invested in RB, I like what I've learned about our picks, I just would have targeted different guys in the 3rd and 4th round.

(05-05-2023, 10:10 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm just glad Doug and the front office values the RB position more than a lot of people on this board.

He may equally value not having to pay them which I think in a general sense most would agree with.  Will be interesting to see how Baalke handles ETN in a couple of years.

(This post was last modified: 05-05-2023, 12:53 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

Yes most of the time running backs are the cheaper of the positions now. Having running backs on rookie contracts is nice.

(05-05-2023, 12:05 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:

He may equally value not having to pay them which I think in a general sense most would agree with.  Will be interesting to see how Baalke handles ETN in a couple of years.
You can value the RB position but also not want to pay them big money or use a top 100 pick on them.

(05-05-2023, 01:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-05-2023, 12:05 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: He may equally value not having to pay them which I think in a general sense most would agree with.  Will be interesting to see how Baalke handles ETN in a couple of years.
You can value the RB position but also not want to pay them big money or use a top 100 pick on them.

I'm not sure how you can value the RB position relative to other positions if you're unwilling to allocate more meaningful resources toward it.  That sounds more like the definition of de-valuing the position, which is fine. It is by all accounts much more likely that a given RB's career is going to be more short lived than that of other positions.  Your qualifiers make it sound more like just paying lip service to the idea of valuing the position though.

(05-05-2023, 01:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-05-2023, 12:05 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: He may equally value not having to pay them which I think in a general sense most would agree with.  Will be interesting to see how Baalke handles ETN in a couple of years.

Top 100 pick?  Lol, that's a new one.

(This post was last modified: 05-05-2023, 04:05 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-05-2023, 12:05 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:

I think it boils down to, wait for it.............BPA drafting.  Them sticking to their board and taking the top player on it when it was their pick and not moving positions more of need up their board because of need.  What Baalke and Doug have talked about and the right way to draft to build a championship caliber team.  Now the only question is was their board right which remains to be seen.  You don't push players up the board because of need. I personally would of went Porter, Torrence, Washington.  I hope they got it right