Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tank Bigsby RB Round 3

(08-27-2023, 09:26 AM)Rockman1966 Wrote:
(08-26-2023, 09:20 PM)RicoTx Wrote: How do you teach a guy not to fumble?

At my JUCO a fumbler would have to carry a football with him everywhere he went.  Any fellow player would be instructed to swipe at the ball while the fumbler walked to class, in the cafeteria, in class, anywhere he went.

This didn’t work one damn bit.  

*The coach was a USMC/Korea vet, will never forget the first time he addressed the 120 who were trying out for the team.  “We’re gonna keep 60 men.  It doesn't matter what position 
they play.  If we don’t have a quarterback we’re gonna run the ball every play.”

We went 10-1 and won ‘77 Natty.  

We did have a QB.  His backup was our punter.

You ever seen The Program?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-27-2023, 08:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-27-2023, 07:51 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I knew this would be THE example.  We have one.  So do we bring in Coughlin to 'teach' him?

I'm sure there are lots of others.  The point is, it can be done.

You’re sure huh?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-27-2023, 10:11 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-27-2023, 08:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'm sure there are lots of others.  The point is, it can be done.

You’re sure huh?

Should we cut him?

It disappoints me that the Jaguars drafted another guy with fumbling problems, but at least he actually got hit to drop it, last year I remember multiple times that Etienne fumbled with very little ball or arm contact.

Hopefully they can be coached up to hold the ball more securely because I get the feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of defenses focused heavily on stopping the pass and the running game should be able to mostly get 5 yards whenever Doug wants them.

(08-27-2023, 10:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-27-2023, 10:11 AM)RicoTx Wrote: You’re sure huh?

Should we cut him?

Naw we will just catch him behind the goal posts....I'll bring the rubber hoses and you can just beat him...I'll watch...

PS. I view these complaints as entertainment. A lot of rookie running backs have the tendency to carry the ball too low and let their arm get separation from their body the first year. Go look at that second tough run where he trucked that safety. He had the ball high and tight.  That is what Barber had to learn as at this level you just cannot get away with not doing that like you can in college.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(08-27-2023, 10:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-27-2023, 10:11 AM)RicoTx Wrote: You’re sure huh?

Should we cut him?

Nah, shoot him.

BUT…we can ‘teach’ him how to not fumble kind of like we taught Bortles and Leftwich how to throw or Gabbert to have a set.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fc8.alamy.com%2Fcomp%2FW...ipo=images]

I wanted them to take a nickel or OL in the third.
Def didn't want a RB there.

However, Tank looks pretty darn good to me. The fumble was a drag, and ETN still needs to prove that won't be an issue for him too, but it is clear we've got a nice 1-2 punch with these guys if they can stay healthy and secure the damn ball.

Fingers crossed.

(08-27-2023, 09:29 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-27-2023, 09:26 AM)Rockman1966 Wrote: At my JUCO a fumbler would have to carry a football with him everywhere he went.  Any fellow player would be instructed to swipe at the ball while the fumbler walked to class, in the cafeteria, in class, anywhere he went.

*The coach was a USMC/Korea vet, will never forget the first time he addressed the 120 who were trying out for the team.  “We’re gonna keep 60 men.  It doesn't matter what position 
they play.  If we don’t have a quarterback we’re gonna run the ball every play.”

You ever seen The Program?
I did.  Nick Nolte played the coach or was that the basketball movie with Shaq?
Remember the shot of the LB on whatever just wacked out of his head.

An add on to my story, we had 10 recently discharged Marines; fearless.  Just crazy.  We'd play a few D1 JVs on Thursdays so they could dress everyone for home games on Saturdays.

Our running attack will be scary good this year. All three of top backs are quality

(08-27-2023, 01:25 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote:
(08-27-2023, 09:29 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You ever seen The Program?
I did.  Nick Nolte played the coach or was that the basketball movie with Shaq?

An add on to my story, we had 10 recently discharged Marines; fearless.  Just crazy.  We'd play a few D1 JVs on Thursdays so they could dress everyone for home games on Saturdays.
Blue Chips was with Nolte, Shaq and Penny Hardaway.

(08-27-2023, 05:27 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-27-2023, 01:25 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: I did.  Nick Nolte played the coach or was that the basketball movie with Shaq?

Blue Chips was with Nolte, Shaq and Penny Hardaway.

You are right, Sir!  California State Dolphins or close to that.
I should have remembered that movie.  I'm an original Orlando Magic season ticket holder.  Terry Catledge Jerry Reynolds, Greg Kite, Reggie Theus, Scott Skiles, Nick Anderson.  Truly a terrible team.  Two ping-pongs then brought Shaq and Penny.

(08-27-2023, 08:02 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote:
(08-27-2023, 05:27 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Blue Chips was with Nolte, Shaq and Penny Hardaway.

You are right, Sir!  California State Dolphins or close to that.
I should have remembered that movie.  I'm an original Orlando Magic season ticket holder.  Terry Catledge Jerry Reynolds, Greg Kite, Reggie Theus, Scott Skiles, Nick Anderson.  Truly a terrible team.  Two ping-pongs then brought Shaq and Penny.
Penny is my favorite NBA player ever and if it wasn’t for injuries, he may be considered a top 50 player of all time. He was that good.

I met him at MSG when he played for the Knicks. He signed a ball for me and was super chill.

Not to mention, he had some of the best sneakers.

That ball toss play using the running back when 5 yards out I can see being very successful

As long as the lead blockers do there job

(08-26-2023, 09:20 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-26-2023, 08:19 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: He will be fine.
The fumble is a great teaching opportunity.

How do you teach a guy not to fumble?

...you start giving those carries to other guys. In a performance-driven league, if you start losing carries, especially in the red zone, you're going to be putting in work to protect that ball and make your case to get those opportunities back.

It all starts on the practice field. Everyone mentioned Tiki and Tom's approach, and if he were dropping that ball day in and day out around the facility, you know darn well Tom wasn't going to keep putting the ball in his hands.

(08-27-2023, 09:26 AM)Rockman1966 Wrote:
(08-26-2023, 09:20 PM)RicoTx Wrote: How do you teach a guy not to fumble?

At my JUCO a fumbler would have to carry a football with him everywhere he went.  Any fellow player would be instructed to swipe at the ball while the fumbler walked to class, in the cafeteria, in class, anywhere he went.

....maybe it did, did the fumblers make the cut? Success may have been confirming suspicion that the guy wasn't gonna break the habit, thereby making the decision to put the ball in someone else's hands that much easier.

(08-28-2023, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-27-2023, 09:26 AM)Rockman1966 Wrote: At my JUCO a fumbler would have to carry a football with him everywhere he went.  Any fellow player would be instructed to swipe at the ball while the fumbler walked to class, in the cafeteria, in class, anywhere he went.

....maybe it did, did the fumblers make the cut? Success may have been confirming suspicion that the guy wasn't gonna break the habit, thereby making the decision to put the ball in someone else's hands that much easier.
Fumblers didn't make the team.  If you fumbled too many times during the season you just never played again.  Just that simple.  Those were the days when you got over getting your feelings hurt.  Get better or go home.

We need to protect the ball. We have talent, but fumblitis will lose a game in a heartbeat at any time.

(09-06-2023, 10:34 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: We need to protect the ball.  We have talent,  but fumblitis will lose a game in a heartbeat at any time.

Bit more sticky spray needed

(This post was last modified: 10-30-2023, 09:04 AM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-27-2023, 10:52 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-27-2023, 10:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Should we cut him?

Nah, shoot him.

BUT…we can ‘teach’ him how to not fumble kind of like we taught Bortles and Leftwich how to throw or Gabbert to have a set.

The above communication about Bigsby's fumbles occurred on Aug 27th during preseason.   

So I guess the question is, should we cut him as asked by homebiscuit, or shoot him as suggested by RicoTx?