Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pick No 61. Brenton Strange TE , PennState

(04-29-2023, 09:08 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-29-2023, 09:02 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If you applied that rule to every team, then every GM would get fired every single year, because I guarantee you, some guy taken after the first round will make the Hall of Fame, and that will mean every team passed him over for a lesser player.
Eagles should have fired Howie Roseman for taking Reagor over Jefferson…..

And yet Roseman is the best GM in the league right now. I’m gonna cool my jets on Baalke right now. Even though I really question him reaching on players in round two and three, even if they turn out to be good players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-29-2023, 10:26 AM)nitwit248 Wrote: Penn State site's video scout on Strange. Pretty honest and balanced evaluation IMO. Great blocker w/ the athleticism to improve as a pass catcher. Goal line threat. video says there's two other nfl tight ends on the roster, which explains the modest production. Kiper had him going 51 to Miami in a mock.

https://youtu.be/x4Mqr1jVHAo

That definitely give some hope that I did not have last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

So when do people starting bring out the "Strange"r Things and Life is Strange T-shirts?

(04-29-2023, 11:55 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: So when do people starting bring out the "Strange"r Things and Life is Strange T-shirts?

When he does something to justify his outrageously high draft choice.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(04-29-2023, 10:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-29-2023, 10:26 AM)nitwit248 Wrote: Penn State site's video scout on Strange. Pretty honest and balanced evaluation IMO. Great blocker w/ the athleticism to improve as a pass catcher. Goal line threat. video says there's two other nfl tight ends on the roster, which explains the modest production. Kiper had him going 51 to Miami in a mock.

https://youtu.be/x4Mqr1jVHAo
HORRIBLE PICK! BURN IT DOWN

Seth Rollins, is that you?

(04-29-2023, 12:29 PM)jrvegeeta Wrote:
(04-29-2023, 10:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: HORRIBLE PICK! BURN IT DOWN

Seth Rollins, is that you?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Stranger Danger

I’m rooting for the guy, if only in part because I love the last name
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Strange days

(04-29-2023, 09:22 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: I’m rooting for the guy, if only in part because I love the last name

I'm rooting for him as well.  I hope he will be a difference maker for our offense

Do people think the Strange selection means that Engram is a one year rental?

(04-29-2023, 10:29 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Do people think the Strange selection means that Engram is a one year rental?

I think so. I don’t see how they can keep paying everybody with Trevor’s mega deal on the horizon. 

I don’t wanna jinx anything but we don’t know if Engram will holdout while expecting a long term deal. I’ve heard the Jags are trying to get a deal done before camp. 

Strange gives us instant starter capabilities/quality depth.

https://youtu.be/AgHaGrZkkv4

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Mcshays best draft pick for each team. Maybe you haters can take a deep breath now since one of the most known draft guys around says it was a great pick.

Jacksonville Jaguars
Brenton Strange, TE, Penn State (Round 2, No. 61)

Even though the Jaguars ended up making 10 picks on Day 3, I tentatively had Strange circled as their best pick on Saturday morning before Round 4 had kicked off. That's how much I like his game. He's possibly the most underrated player in this class and ended up No. 68 on my board. Yes, he ran a 4.70 in the 40, and yes, he never broke 400 receiving yards in a season at Penn State. But I plead you to go watch some highlights before you make an evaluation of Strange. He just wasn't targeted much in the Nittany Lions' offense and can outplay his college resume in the pros.

The Jaguars franchise-tagged Evan Engram after a 766-yard season, but Strange is a different type of tight end, and they can coexist in this Jacksonville offense. Strange has good acceleration and reliable hands, and he's a smooth route runner. I don't see seam-stretching ability in his game, but he can improve there. And he will still produce big gains by hauling in intermediate-level passes and using his strength to pick up yards after the catch. Strange is also a powerful in-line blocker.

Like I mentioned with Deshaun Watson earlier, Trevor Lawrence enjoyed success at Clemson with big targets such as Tee Higgins and Justyn Ross. Adding 6-foot-4, 253-pound Strange to the receiving mix should benefit the third-year quarterback.

This guy seems to have soft hands and very good short area quickness footwork for the little I've seen of him. And a very willing blocker.

I really trust Doug on TE evaluation and use.

What's debatable is the value of the pick on the current roster. A second rounder for a backup TE (followed up by a 3rd rounder for a backup RB) could be a bit too much but again...I trust Doug on this one.

As others have mentioned though I'm starting to wonder if they are considering letting Engram playing on the tag and then re evaluate.
They said things are trending towards a long term extension but maybe they are realizing those money could be better spent elsewhere long term and are taking precautions.
I don't know but 2nd rounder for a guy who will likely see limited snaps/targets especially with Ridley in the mix it's a bit of a luxury so who knows, maybe a longterm Engram isn't as viable as they thought in the first place.

(04-30-2023, 12:19 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: This guy seems to have soft hands and very good short area quickness footwork for the little I've seen of him. And a very willing blocker.

I really trust Doug on TE evaluation and use.

What's debatable is the value of the pick on the current roster. A second rounder for a backup TE (followed up by a 3rd rounder for a backup RB) could be a bit too much but again...I trust Doug on this one.

As others have mentioned though I'm starting to wonder if they are considering letting Engram playing on the tag and then re evaluate.
They said things are trending towards a long term extension but maybe they are realizing those money could be better spent elsewhere long term and are taking precautions.
I don't know but 2nd rounder for a guy who will likely see limited snaps/targets especially with Ridley in the mix it's a bit of a luxury so who knows, maybe a longterm Engram isn't as viable as they thought in the first place.

Would you have said this if they had taken Mayer or Laporta?

The final pick to complete the Trevor weapon arsenal. Doug can let his offense creativity run wild. If Trevor’s improvement continues to progress, this offense has the potential to be really sick.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2023, 08:28 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 4 times in total.)

Someone mentioned Baalke saying he didn't want to leave a paper trail on Strange in the draft day thread which caused me to go find the video of him saying as much which I've posted below.  Such a comment is akin to saying "we were in love with the prospect and couldn't bear the thought of walking away from the draft without him."  I appreciate the transparency of draft strategy.  However, it also invites valid criticism if the pick turns out to be meh or a bust.  In short, if you're in love with a prospect, you'd better be right.  

This is not me second guessing the pick.  I don't know if he will work out or not, but I'm rooting for each and every Jaguars pick's success though I know most of them will likely not be here in short order.  I just find that many people around here and many sports fans in general sometimes create potential narratives in their head with very little actual information and then convince themselves (and then try to convince others) it's the god's honest truth.  Knock yourself out if that's your bag.  This, however, is an instance of Baalke providing actual information on what they were thinking prior to selecting him.  No narrative need be created.

Ultimately, if Baalke's days here come to an end at some point, this pick potentially failing probably won't be the sole reason, but so much regarding the draft is generally either unspoken, left up to interpretation or even outright intentionally misleading at times, it's nice to have some moments of clarity and nuggets of truth from time to time. If this pick doesn't pan out though, he'll deserve every bit of the criticism for it.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8kiqs7