Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pick No 61. Brenton Strange TE , PennState

You always need to be right plenty. Otherwise you get fired. Saying it out loud means nothing.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2023, 09:18 AM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-01-2023, 09:31 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: You always need to be right plenty.  Otherwise you get fired.  Saying it out loud means nothing.

Not sure the bolded makes sense, but I get what you're saying and I disagree.  Every GM misses a lot in the draft and you need to allow for that.  You just need to hit relatively frequently and hit on the more important decisions (i.e. higher draft picks) more often than not.

They were locked in on Strange from the sound of it.  It's potentially evidence of having put blinders on to other alternatives which is not what you want to see from a talent evaluator.  There's a difference in being locked in on single prospect and organizing your board into tiers and selecting from guys in your highest tier when it's your turn to pick which is how they described their process with the Harrison pick by the way.  The apparent strength of conviction on this particular prospect is either extra points given or taken away depending on how the pick pans out.  Just something interesting to monitor moving forward for me.  If not for you, so be it.  But saying what he said, does mean something.  I'm sure nice things were said about all of the guys we picked, but this was a little more process specific.

Ryan Wilson's opinion:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-...ams-fared/

Hidden gem: Penn State TE Brenton Strange (61st overall, 2nd Round)

Brenton Strange is incredibly athletic and loves to block. Evan Engram doesn't necessarily block for you, and he's on the franchise tag. Strange could be here for the next four years. I think his best football is ahead of him. Strange will block you into the stands.

Rick Spielman also just spoke highly of him on the 1010XL show. Said he was pleasantly surprised when he put the film on him. Said he's probably loaded with untapped potential given that Penn State does not have the best of QB's out there slinging it. He's a versatile option, can probably not only be a good blocker but a move TE as well.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2023, 02:34 PM by HardcoreMoJagFan. Edited 2 times in total.)

(05-01-2023, 10:58 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 09:31 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: You always need to be right plenty.  Otherwise you get fired.  Saying it out loud means nothing.

Not sure the bolded makes sense, but I get what you're saying and I disagree.  Every GM misses a lot in the draft and you need to allow for that.  You just need to hit relatively frequently and hit on the more important decisions (i.e. higher draft picks) more often than not.

They were locked in on Strange from the sound of it.  It's potentially evidence of having put blinders on to other alternatives which is not what you want to see from a talent evaluator.  There's a difference in being locked in on single prospect and organizing your board into tiers and selecting from guys in your highest tier when it's your turn to pick which is how they described their process with the Harrison pick by the way.  The apparent strength of conviction on this particular prospect is either extra points given or taken away depending on how the pick pans out.  Just something interesting to monitor moving forward for me.  If not for you, so be it.  But saying what he said, does mean something.  I'm sure nice things were said about all of the guys we picked, but this was a little more process specific.

Maybe there are blinders on but if you are in love with a player you better get him.  It makes no sense to love a guy and then mess around to try to get such good value that you miss him. But it doesn't change th fact your job is based on getting picks right.  It's sorta about value but value doesn't mean anything unless your analysis is correct.

Again in the end of you get two to four quality starters out of a draft you've done a good job.  At least that is how it looks based on old draft grades I read.

STRANGER DANGER

(05-02-2023, 02:51 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: STRANGER DANGER

Lol that’s what I said on draft say. It has a nice ring to it.

(05-02-2023, 05:06 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 02:51 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: STRANGER DANGER

Lol that’s what I said on draft say. It has a nice ring to it.

For me, it was when I saw the pick is in, and it said "B Strange" so I painted yellow polka dots and purple zigzags on my wall, and looked at my cat with a bit of a suggestive glance.

(05-03-2023, 08:48 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 05:06 PM) Wrote: Lol that’s what I said on draft say. It has a nice ring to it.

For me, it was when I saw the pick is in, and it said "B Strange" so I painted yellow polka dots and purple zigzags on my wall, and looked at my cat with a bit of a suggestive glance.

Well, you did better than our front office.

They read that and picked a RB in the third. 
Tongue

(04-30-2023, 12:19 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: This guy seems to have soft hands and very good short area quickness footwork for the little I've seen of him. And a very willing blocker.

I really trust Doug on TE evaluation and use.

What's debatable is the value of the pick on the current roster. A second rounder for a backup TE (followed up by a 3rd rounder for a backup RB) could be a bit too much but again...I trust Doug on this one.

As others have mentioned though I'm starting to wonder if they are considering letting Engram playing on the tag and then re evaluate.
They said things are trending towards a long term extension but maybe they are realizing those money could be better spent elsewhere long term and are taking precautions.
I don't know but 2nd rounder for a guy who will likely see limited snaps/targets especially with Ridley in the mix it's a bit of a luxury so who knows, maybe a longterm Engram isn't as viable as they thought in the first place.

I'm thinking they could afford to pay only big money to two receivers when Trevor is extended. So the choice comes down to Ridley, Engram, and Kirk. I think maybe they wait to see which two are most valuable this season.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

If the were always planning to draft a TE with one of their first 3 picks, Strange looks as strong, fast and coachable as any of the other top 5 TEs. If we're talking taking a TE that can both block and catch...with a good motor... I'm happy with the pick.

Keeping my fingers crossed that non of our starting CBs sustain a serious injury during the year though.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

A blocking TE seems to be the reasoning behind this pick. Marcedes Lewis esque. Not to say he won't catch a pass at times, but we now have a TE that can get dirty.

(05-03-2023, 05:18 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: A blocking TE seems to be the reasoning behind this pick.  Marcedes Lewis esque.  Not to say he won't catch a pass at times,  but we now have a TE that can get dirty.

If that was the case we would of went with Washington.  Strange is more of a gadget type TE that we can move all over

I don't remember if it was someone on here, or reddit, or a youtube comment. But someone said "At least when Doug gets some Strange it's not controversial like the last guy" or something like that, LOL.

I would like to see all the players jags drafted this year make jags,and succed,but i want Strange to make the team the most, and to succed the most.   Heres why  the Pastor who started our church lives in Brentwood tensse,they are yuck tittians fans. The familys last name is  Strange,spelled same way as te jags drafted. So if he makes it on Jags team my dad,and i can tell him they need to become Jags fans now since they have family on the Jags. could be a cousiun or something, you never know. of course Strange has to make the Jags team.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

STRANGE BREW

(05-04-2023, 02:41 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I would like to see all the players jags drafted this year make jags,and succed,but i want Strange to make the team the most, and to succed the most.   Heres why  the Pastor who started our church lives in Brentwood tensse,they are yuck tittians fans. The familys last name is  Strange,spelled same way as te jags drafted. So if he makes it on Jags team my dad,and i can tell him they need to become Jags fans now since they have family on the Jags. could be a cousiun or something, you never know. of course Strange has to make the Jags team.

I like it!

(05-04-2023, 02:41 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I would like to see all the players jags drafted this year make jags,and succed,but i want Strange to make the team the most, and to succed the most.   Heres why  the Pastor who started our church lives in Brentwood tensse,they are yuck tittians fans. The familys last name is  Strange,spelled same way as te jags drafted. So if he makes it on Jags team my dad,and i can tell him they need to become Jags fans now since they have family on the Jags. could be a cousiun or something, you never know. of course Strange has to make the Jags team.

He’s going to make the team so no worrys. Picks from round 1 to round 4 are usually locks.

(05-03-2023, 05:18 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: A blocking TE seems to be the reasoning behind this pick.  Marcedes Lewis esque.  Not to say he won't catch a pass at times,  but we now have a TE that can get dirty.

Mercedes was 4.85. This guy's 4.7.   He's got more juice than Lewis and Lewis went to the pro bowl and is he still playing?

This guy could be here a decade plus.

(05-04-2023, 06:49 PM)jj82284 Wrote:

Mercedes was 4.85. This guy's 4.7.   He's got more juice than Lewis and Lewis went to the pro bowl and is he still playing?

This guy could be here a decade plus.

He ran a 4.64.  He's faster than Strange as well.  Man I hope Strange turns out to be a better pro than Washington.  Gonna trust Doug on this one.