Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What does that draft say to you?

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2023, 08:27 PM by OG-JAGFAN. Edited 1 time in total.)

My take. 

The first 3 picks were offense. It was clear that supporting the Qb was the top priority. I have no problem with the picks in these rounds.

The team is bringing in a ton of competition. Players like Devon Lloyd who appeared to be lost at times are going to feel the pressure. Competition is always good.

The team decided to take 13 swings this year. Will have some strike outs, base hits, and hopefully some home runs. I do not buy a ton of stock on where a player is drafted. Sure the odds drop of getting a starter in every round. There are also plenty of cases were great players drop in later rounds for stupid reasons. See Tom Brady 6th round or Jerry Rice dropping to 16th overall from a lackluster 40 yard time. There are plenty of other examples.

The team is comfortable with Herndon at nickle. Unless they make a move outside the draft I do not see many options at corner.

I know these were not the Draft Expert type of picks. The so called Experts get as many wrong as the average GM. Mike Mayok was a draft expert king so he got his shot at GM. We know how that turned out. My point is because a player is not on ESPN or NFL network draft board does not mean it's a bad pick. They very well could all be bust. I am taking the wait and see approach.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2023, 08:52 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

With Strange, Bigsby, and the FB Parish it's clear they want to improve on short yardage situations. The one thing we improved the most in is short yardage situations

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2023, 11:53 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-29-2023, 08:21 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: My take. 

The first 3 picks were offense. It was clear that supporting the Qb was the top priority. I have no problem with the picks in these rounds.

The team is bringing in a ton of competition. Players like Devon Lloyd who appeared to be lost at times are going to feel the pressure. Competition is always good.

The team decided to take 13 swings this year. Will have some strike outs, base hits, and hopefully some home runs. I do not buy a ton of stock on where a player is drafted. Sure the odds drop of getting a starter in every round. There are also plenty of cases were great players drop in later rounds for stupid reasons. See Tom Brady 6th round or Jerry Rice dropping to 16th overall from a lackluster 40 yard time. There are plenty of other examples.

The team is comfortable with Herndon at nickle. Unless they make a move outside the draft I do not see many options at corner.

I know these were not the Draft Expert type of picks. The so called Experts get as many wrong as the average GM. Mike Mayok was a draft expert king so he got his shot at GM. We know how that turned out. My point is because a player is not on ESPN or NFL network draft board does not mean it's a bad pick. They very well could all be bust. I am taking the wait and see approach.

I would like to personally thank you for well thought out post. I have the same thoughts. 

I saw this draft as a GM gets his buggy in the grocery store and says ok I know what I lacked in 2022, so lemme make some specific selections to increase my chances. 

The culture has changed in Duval and I kept hearing that word during the draft process. Dougy P is trying to bring a championship to this city and he knows what he needs to get there. For all we know, maybe they had Trevor’s input along with a couple of other guys. 

The Harrison pick was a homerun. I heard a few experts say he was the best tackle in the draft. He can play both sides and he can play guard. We lost Taylor, Cam will be suspended, and Little still has the jury out. Harrison will be a day 1 starter and will be protecting our franchise. Homerun pick since we got the best tackle in the entire draft. 

Strange was blocking people in the ground, and running extra crispy routes and torquing his body and making sure handed catches.  Engram might be on a 1 year tag and demand a lot of money that we can’t afford. But Strange brings quality personnel at that position. Extremely strong hands and catches fluidly and is tough to bring down. He can create mis-matches on weak side backers, come out the backfield, motion, etc. 

Bigsby made me think of Tavian Banks. Taylor was the man, but it was cool to see Banks doing his thing before he got hurt. Bigsby brings raw talent that Hasty just didn’t have. Last year Hasty made the long TD but outside of that he didn’t bring much to the table. Tank Bigsby can give us what Corey Grant did back in 2017. He can also play special teams. He’s a scat back or for you Mopar guys…scat pack. 

The Miller pick put guys like Muma and Lloyd on notice. Lloyd led all LB with 5 takeaways in 2022, but he also led all LB of being out of position. Muma came in and was as pedestrian as you could get. Miller will also give us room to move our backers around until we find a good fit. He will also play special teams.

Abdullah - him and Bigsby are my favorite picks. If this guy was 3 inches taller and 10 more pounds he would have been a top 5 pick. He’s a 34 OLB that runs a 4.4 he will cause all kinds of problems with his speed alone against Left and Right Tackles that run 4.Evers if he can keep the big guys off him, he can blow plays up.

Lacey will get some work at 34 DE/DT he adds some bulk along that defensive front and has the athleticism to run plays wide and the size to space eat and clog some stuff up. 

Johnson is a big guy at 6’2” 200 pounds, runs a 4.52. Dalvin Cook ran a 4.53 back in 2017. Jenkins is on notice and will have all the competition he can handle come camp time. One thing this guy has is he brings the hat. He knocked a few guys silly and he’s rangy. Jenkins struggles in coverage, but we will see if Johnson can put the clamps on better than Jenkins. 

Washington missed the final 3 games of his college career and still led the team in receiving yards. He didn’t run at the combine or pro day but this dude was making OBJ type catches. He’s a short strider and will be a match up night mare for any safety or LB. He only had 8 drops his entire collegiate career. Another offensive weapon for Lawrence to go along with Strange, Bigsby, Etienne, Kirk, Engram, Jones, and Swagnew. That’s a lot of weapons for #16.

Hallet and Hodges offer depth, youth and special teams. You always hope for a diamond in the rough but they will have a chance to show what they got.

You can also see that our front office is getting ready for Lawrence’s payday. We’re going to be losing some guys that we would normally keep in any other era, but with the contract they are gearing up for you have to accept that some positions will not be addressed like you want. On the other hand, this draft could turn out to be a bust and they all stink, or we may find 3 starters and a couple rotation guys. We can’t draft Hall of Famers every single pick and we can’t have Pro Bowlers at every position. 

Maybe they are gearing up for Budda Baker, maybe not. 

Our focus should be to win our division and make the playoffs. The AFC South should run through Duval, and play in front of our fans at the Bank. Take it one game at the time from there. 

At the end of the day, we still have one of the best coaches in all of football and we have a superstar QB going into his 3rd year. He took this same roster minus the draft to the playoffs and won a game. Let Lawrence Cook!

The draft makes me think that the Jaguars front office mindset is this:

Continue to build the offense, to keep up with the other 3 big dogs in the AFC, and that they have faith in our younger players on defense to get better.

We just upgraded that offense everywhere. I can’t wait to see TBigs bust loose.

All in all I like the draft if you come away from any draft regardless of how many picks you have, with 5/6 players that contribute over the couple of seasons then it’ll be a successful draft.

-A tackle that will start straight away and allows us to move on from cam next year
-A tight end that will line up as te2 from day one and gives us flexibility should engram not extend
-A running back better suited for short yardage take the wear off etn
-line backer I didn’t really get, but if they plan on moving lloyd more off the edge or are planning for oluokons exit once money gets tighter after Trevor’s extension then it makes sense
-more d-line help and will be in the rotation
-3 dbs battle it out for the nickel as well as potentially taking over from Jenkins next season
-wr who can learn behind Kirk for a couple of seasons and be ready to move into that role, again once Trevor gets paid and you need to go cheaper elsewhere.

All in all every draft is the same you hope the picks work out, some will some won’t, but it seems there was a clear plan and a view on the future , as others have said the better your team gets as a rule the less immediate starters you get in the draft, particularly when your qb is on his rookie deal and you have money tied up every where else.

I Concur to every sentiment to which you just stated. Looking from the outside in, our needs were CB, Tackle, Guard, Safety DL and TE. Not necessarily in that order. We got them all in my opinion whether they pan out or not is yet to be seen. As this 2023 NFL Draft unfolded it was clear to me that Baalke and Pederson had a plan, they targeted specific players and strategically traded back because they knew that said players would be available later especially the two of whom didn't perform at the Senior Bowl and Pro Day. They even tried to trade back up into the third round  several times to no avail. CUDOS.

The objective of this draft was to thicken the roster w/respect to the second and third tier players. Hopefully we've acquired an starter or two BUT I'll be more than happy w/the role players. I have no choice but I'm seriously content and confident of this draft's outcome. 

The true test(s) will be determined on the field and via. our coaching staff.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2023, 05:42 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

I think they got a bunch of interesting players.  Whether this draft was good, bad, or something else remains to be seen.  I know everyone has an opinion, and this message board is where we express our opinions, so I will dispense with my usual admonition about whether we are actually qualified to exercise our egos by acting like experts.  But I will say this.  Did you notice how many people criticize the Bigsby pick who cannot even spell his name correctly? 

It's all about taking a division winning team which lost only 1 starter and adding talent at every level.  Good teams draft backup players after the first couple of rounds.  We're not used to that.  We're more used to having holes all over our roster, and trying to make a major improvement through the draft.  This year, the focus will be on improvement through experience in the system.  I think we got one possible immediate starter in this draft.  But that's okay.  We already have a good team, and on a quality team, which we have, we can't expect players drafted after the middle of the second round to come in and start.  In fact, thank God we don't have to expect such a thing.  

We got a lot of interesting players.  I'm glad we drafted an offensive tackle with our first pick.  Also, I think there are some interesting picks in the later rounds.  To me, the most notable were the WR from Penn State, Parker Washington, and the CB from Rutgers, Christian Braswell.  Parker Washington's highlight video is quite remarkable. 

Like I said in another thread, I have given our draft an A every year, because I'm a company man and prefer to be an optimist.

(04-29-2023, 08:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: With Strange, Bigsby, and the FB Parish it's clear they want to improve on short yardage situations.  The one thing we improved the most in is short yardage situations

Yes and a wise move and we were pretty weak in short yardage situations, certainly near the goalline. Definitely not a strength of Etienne, hopefully Bigsby is good at this.

(04-30-2023, 07:38 AM)wassy04 Wrote:
(04-29-2023, 08:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: With Strange, Bigsby, and the FB Parish it's clear they want to improve on short yardage situations.  The one thing we improved the most in is short yardage situations

Yes and a wise move and we were pretty weak in short yardage situations, certainly near the goalline. Definitely not a strength of Etienne, hopefully Bigsby is good at this.

Actually, I think Etienne was very good in short yardage.  The problem was, he was the only back we had that was good in short yardage, and why waste his talent on that kind of thing.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2023, 07:54 AM by rfc17. Edited 1 time in total.)

I think the story of this draft was missed opportunities. Obviously can't really grade a draft until 2 or 3 years down the road. But I think you can grade the draft process immediately. Rounds 1-3 you are expecting either immediate starters or major contributors. Round 4 may fall into this category as well but at a minimum a rotation player that makes the team. But then once you start getting into Round 5 and beyond, it really is just dumb luck as all teams agreed these players weren't worthy of being selected early so if you find a good one, everybody essentially missed including yourself. But the key draft picks are typically rounds 1-3 and the questions are did you come away with the guys you were targeting, are you getting value with those picks, are they filling pressing needs on your team, etc.... I think those things can be judged immediately.

I liked how the first round went. Was able to acquire additional picks while still getting a guy everyone would have liked at our original spot. Fills a big need. Looks like he has a lot of potential. It is possible they really had their eye on one or two players they would have drafted with or original pick. And with no one falling they moved back some. But I still think they came away in a great spot.

In the 2nd and 3rd rounds I think they were disappointed with how the board fell. Baalke talked later about how you can't always trade up but it sounds like they tried. As Baalke and Pederson were sitting there in the draft room as the first round came to an end, looking at how many good players were still on the board falling to the second round, thinking of all the extra draft capital they had just acquired, I don't believe there was any chance at the end of night 2 that they thought they'd walk away with just a backup TE and at best a 2nd string RB. And it's not as though this was one of those fringe first round TEs that had fallen. This guy was clearly in a lower tier than the others. If he was rated as highly they wouldn't have felt okay trading back and still landing him. Again Baalke mentioned it takes two to tango but there were trades happening all night. It's not as though no one was trading. Were we just being too stingy with what we would have to give up? There were a number highly rated players that fell within 10-15 spots of our original 2nd round pick. And the draft capital to move up wasn't that excessive. Packers essentially moved from 45-50 and only got a 5th and 6th out of it. We couldn't have moved from 55 to 45 if we had really tried? Imagine if we had given up a 4th and a 5th to get Brian Branch. I probably would have done that. And then in the 3rd round again a number of trades were made by teams wanting to move. Unfortunate we couldn't move to an area where the value would have met the need better. But very surprised we used a 3rd round pick on a RB when we already have a crowded RB room. If we really just wanted a third guy to share the carries who could be more capable in short yardage situations, I have to think we could have found 3-4 UDFAs and let them compete. It's hard to find a special game breaking RB. It's not hard to find a serviceable guy who fills a specific role.

Round 4 was fine. Solid rotation players. Thought Miller's pick was a little odd as definitely zero need there. I am curious to see if his selection suggests a move for Lloyd to more outside rusher. Otherwise is it him and Quaterman fighting for last roster spot? And then round 5 and beyond was basically just a shotgun approach. Hopefully you hit something. Johnson is the more intriguing one as he was projected to go much higher. Clearly we didn't love him as we passed over him 4 other times (including the trade back) on day 3. Wonder why so many teams were scared to pull the trigger. Injuries, off the field, maybe just good athlete but no football awareness? Hopefully he becomes a player for us though.

Yasir and Parker Washington were my favorite picks in this draft. I think they’ll both contribute at times this season.

In regards to the draft, who knows man. Jags offense is gonna be FLYING this year and if the young kids on D step up, they should be alright.

Be ready for some high scoring games!

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2023, 08:29 AM by Caldrac.)

I shared my thoughts in the day three thread below.

If you guys paid ANY attention you would have realized the following:

1. They just added two players to this team to fit a role they didn't even really have filled properly last year at H-Back or even on the roster which just opened up the running game and gadget plays Doug coveted in Philadelphia.

2. They added three quality slot corners with safety versatility and special teams ability to push Claybrooks and Herndon off the roster completely.

3. They added an inside backer which indicates they are more than likely moving Lloyd outside to rush the passer, or, at least moving him to his natural position he played at Utah to upgrade that spot.

4. They added a potential slot receiver to spell Kirk in a pinch and offer return abilities if Agnew cant hold up physically in Washington.

5. They added a high level swing tackle that fits our scheme perfectly on day one that can plug and play at either spot.

6. They snatched a durable 3tech/5tech rotational piece in Lacy and the leading ACC sack leader that can actually help in coverage to off set losing Smoot and Key this off season.

The only slight complaints that can be made. Barely. Is Bigsby at 88, Miller at ILB and a SS being a nickel and overkill in RD6.

All of that, again, becomes a moot point if we're now seeing a power running game balancing out our passing attack late down the stretch and Lloyd moves outside and thrives as a weakside or strongside backer.

Really hard to knock this class.

Pederson's comments were also tongue in cheek but it's about power in the backfield and providing balance to the skill position signings we made last year at WR and TE.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-29-2023, 11:48 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:

I would like to personally thank you for well thought out post. I have the same thoughts. 

I saw this draft as a GM gets his buggy in the grocery store and says ok I know what I lacked in 2022, so lemme make some specific selections to increase my chances. 

The culture has changed in Duval and I kept hearing that word during the draft process. Dougy P is trying to bring a championship to this city and he knows what he needs to get there. For all we know, maybe they had Trevor’s input along with a couple of other guys. 

The Harrison pick was a homerun. I heard a few experts say he was the best tackle in the draft. He can play both sides and he can play guard. We lost Taylor, Cam will be suspended, and Little still has the jury out. Harrison will be a day 1 starter and will be protecting our franchise. Homerun pick since we got the best tackle in the entire draft. 

Strange was blocking people in the ground, and running extra crispy routes and torquing his body and making sure handed catches.  Engram might be on a 1 year tag and demand a lot of money that we can’t afford. But Strange brings quality personnel at that position. Extremely strong hands and catches fluidly and is tough to bring down. He can create mis-matches on weak side backers, come out the backfield, motion, etc. 

Bigsby made me think of Tavian Banks. Taylor was the man, but it was cool to see Banks doing his thing before he got hurt. Bigsby brings raw talent that Hasty just didn’t have. Last year Hasty made the long TD but outside of that he didn’t bring much to the table. Tank Bigsby can give us what Corey Grant did back in 2017. He can also play special teams. He’s a scat back or for you Mopar guys…scat pack. 

The Miller pick put guys like Muma and Lloyd on notice. Lloyd led all LB with 5 takeaways in 2022, but he also led all LB of being out of position. Muma came in and was as pedestrian as you could get. Miller will also give us room to move our backers around until we find a good fit. He will also play special teams.

Abdullah - him and Bigsby are my favorite picks. If this guy was 3 inches taller and 10 more pounds he would have been a top 5 pick. He’s a 34 OLB that runs a 4.4 he will cause all kinds of problems with his speed alone against Left and Right Tackles that run 4.Evers if he can keep the big guys off him, he can blow plays up.

Lacey will get some work at 34 DE/DT he adds some bulk along that defensive front and has the athleticism to run plays wide and the size to space eat and clog some stuff up. 

Johnson is a big guy at 6’2” 200 pounds, runs a 4.52. Dalvin Cook ran a 4.53 back in 2017. Jenkins is on notice and will have all the competition he can handle come camp time. One thing this guy has is he brings the hat. He knocked a few guys silly and he’s rangy. Jenkins struggles in coverage, but we will see if Johnson can put the clamps on better than Jenkins. 

Washington missed the final 3 games of his college career and still led the team in receiving yards. He didn’t run at the combine or pro day but this dude was making OBJ type catches. He’s a short strider and will be a match up night mare for any safety or LB. He only had 8 drops his entire collegiate career. Another offensive weapon for Lawrence to go along with Strange, Bigsby, Etienne, Kirk, Engram, Jones, and Swagnew. That’s a lot of weapons for #16.

Hallet and Hodges offer depth, youth and special teams. You always hope for a diamond in the rough but they will have a chance to show what they got.

You can also see that our front office is getting ready for Lawrence’s payday. We’re going to be losing some guys that we would normally keep in any other era, but with the contract they are gearing up for you have to accept that some positions will not be addressed like you want. On the other hand, this draft could turn out to be a bust and they all stink, or we may find 3 starters and a couple rotation guys. We can’t draft Hall of Famers every single pick and we can’t have Pro Bowlers at every position. 

Our focus should be to win our division and make the playoffs. The AFC South should run through Duval, and play in front of our fans at the Bank. Take it one game at the time from there. 

At the end of the day, we still have one of the best coaches in all of football and we have a superstar QB going into his 3rd year. He took this same roster minus the draft to the playoffs and won a game. Let Lawrence Cook!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-30-2023, 08:24 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Yasir and Parker Washington were my favorite picks in this draft. I think they’ll both contribute at times this season.

In regards to the draft, who knows man. Jags offense is gonna be FLYING this year and if the young kids on D step up, they should be alright.

Be ready for some high scoring games!
I really like the Harrison, Strange, Parish, Johnson and Abdullah selections. We can argue value here, value there. It will ultimately take a year or two to determine what was the right call or not.

I think this draft covered every major concern the average fan had on a surface level and it also covered some of the personnel questions the more studious fan had with Pederson's system and Caldwell's system.

Average fan was concerned with protection for Lawrence. They added Harrison. Average fan was concerned with CB depth. They added three guys specifically graded out highly to backfill the 4th and 5th spots and challenge Herndon. Average fan was concerned with losing Smoot and Key. They added Lacy and Abdullah.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

it really doesn't matter were your picked it ,all players are  talented in the draft. thier  performace on the field is what will matter.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

This draft, to me says:

This FO/staff does not value positions with draft capital the way I do

RB in the 3rd given our needs was unwise
As was the ILB pick that followed

Outside of those, I get it.
Would have much rather landed a nickel with that mid round capital.
I think it would help us more at the end of the day than either of those picks.

Fingers crossed one or two of the late round flyers works out

(04-29-2023, 11:48 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:

The unrealized potential of Tavian Banks still haunts me.  The devastating knee injury was the result of a completely unnecessary hit as he was going out of bounds against ATL.  Might be wrong, think it was late in a preseason game.

He was the long lost 3rd down back the Jags were desperate to find.

Love #22.  Wonder whatever happened to him post-NFL?

(04-30-2023, 10:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: This draft, to me says:

About where I am.  Some of these flyers are going to have to stick.

I thinki they had grand plans of moving up with all of the extra picks and it came back to smack them in the face.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-30-2023, 10:23 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(04-30-2023, 10:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: This draft, to me says:

About where I am.  Some of these flyers are going to have to stick.

I thinki they had grand plans of moving up with all of the extra picks and it came back to smack them in the face.

The failure to move back up really bit them in the backside 

Baalke has said 15 teams turned down his attempts to trade back up. 

We have a glut of longshots and spent low capital in places we needed real help. 
Not ideal.