Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What does that draft say to you?

I heard Trent say we traded down and still got the players we wanted. I also heard him say we tried to trade up, but we weren’t able to.

Either way you cut it, they still got the players they targeted. If you take the extra picks they gained away, it still means they picked the players they wanted. The extra picks were just that.

They wanted to use those extra picks to move up but wasn’t able too. Meaning they still got the player they targeted but wasn’t able to get an additional player they targeted.

Foyesade Oluokun was drafted in the 6th round. Rashawn Jenkins was drafted in the 4th round. Telvin Smith was drafted in the 5th round. The list goes on.

Even if they were able to trade up, there’s no guarantee those picks pan out. Or they may all be hall of famers. We drafted Lloyd in round 1 and he got benched last year. Then he comes back and sets a franchise record with 10 assists. A 6th round pick and a 4th round pick both tied the combined tackles record in a single game with 18, Oluokun and Jenkins. A 3rd round CB set the franchise record for most solo tackles in a game with 16, Derek Cox.

Fred Taylor got picked in round 1 and became the all time leading rusher but never made an All Pro. MJD goes in the 2nd round and makes an All Pro. Robinson goes undrafted and takes 1st round pick Fournette’s job.

Keenan McCardell was selected in the 12th round and he was a bazillion times better than 1st round Reggie Williams. They all still have to go out and perform. The draft is a crap shoot.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-06-2023, 02:57 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I heard Trent say we traded down and still got the players we wanted. I also heard him say we tried to trade up, but we weren’t able to.

No one having knowledge of the draft board aside from the few making the decisions means he can say whatever he wants.  And no GM is ever going to say "well we really wanted player X, but we couldn't find a trade partner to trade up to get him so we settled for player Y and man are we elated to have him."  We'll never know if he's telling the whole truth or not.  I do think we got who we targeted in the 1st and 2nd round based on the comments from Beane on the trade back in the 1st and the comment Baalke made about not wanting to leave a paper trail on Strange and with Strange projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd.  We took him at the high end of his projected range because they clearly didn't want to chance missing out on him.  Admittedly, his comment could still be fluff, but it just didn't strike me as such and it makes me lean heavily toward they were targeting him in the 2nd all along.

(05-06-2023, 02:57 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I heard Trent say we traded down and still got the players we wanted. I also heard him say we tried to trade up, but we weren’t able to.

Either way you cut it, they still got the players they targeted. If you take the extra picks they gained away, it still means they picked the players they wanted. The extra picks were just that.

They wanted to use those extra picks to move up but wasn’t able too. Meaning they still got the player they targeted but wasn’t able to get an additional player they targeted.

Foyesade Oluokun was drafted in the 6th round. Rashawn Jenkins was drafted in the 4th round. Telvin Smith was drafted in the 5th round. The list goes on.

Even if they were able to trade up, there’s no guarantee those picks pan out. Or they may all be hall of famers. We drafted Lloyd in round 1 and he got benched last year. Then he comes back and sets a franchise record with 10 assists. A 6th round pick and a 4th round pick both tied the combined tackles record in a single game with 18, Oluokun and Jenkins. A 3rd round CB set the franchise record for most solo tackles in a game with 16, Derek Cox.

Fred Taylor got picked in round 1 and became the all time leading rusher but never made an All Pro. MJD goes in the 2nd round and makes an All Pro. Robinson goes undrafted and takes 1st round pick Fournette’s job.

Keenan McCardell was selected in the 12th round and he was a bazillion times better than 1st round Reggie Williams. They all still have to go out and perform. The draft is a crap shoot.

If we got ‘who we wanted’, why was he trying to trade up?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-06-2023, 09:05 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

He wasnt trying to trade up in the first few rounds

(05-06-2023, 09:15 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 09:05 AM)RicoTx Wrote: If we got ‘who we wanted’, why was he trying to trade up?

He wasnt trying to trade up in the first few rounds

No [BLEEP].  So you’re saying he only wanted two players the whole draft.  Cool story.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2023, 09:51 AM by I am Yoda. Edited 1 time in total.)

I know this video has probably already made the rounds on the board.  But I absolutely love that we are getting a hidden gem at TE.  My favorite line in the video is, "He will block you into the stands!"  If these two weapons turn out as well as the commenters hype them to be, we're going to look back on this draft with a lot of pleasure and pride.  TE is one of my favorite positions in football.  It's for the same reason I love big, aggressive O lineman.  There's just something about physically dominant, nasty blocking that I really enjoy.

And some Tank highlights, too.

[Image: giphy.gif]
The team will only go as far as the quality of the offensive line.

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2023, 12:05 PM by Jag88.)

I can’t wait to see them get on the field .

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2023, 02:08 PM by TheDuke007. Edited 4 times in total.)

(04-30-2023, 10:29 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: There is so much to say about the draft.  If I were to write it in one message, it would be ridiculously long.  I'll start with one of my big observations.  I considered the early 4th round to be the sweet spot in this draft where a lot of excellent value met the Jaguars needs.  You had Clark Phillips at 113, Dawand Jones at 111 and Adetomiwa Adebawore at 110.  I wasn't high on Kelee Ringo and didn't want him on Day 1 or Day 2 but was good value at 105.  Nick Saldiveri was also available at 103.  The problem was that these players were gone before our picks at #121, 127, 130, 136, 160, 185, 202, 208, 226 and 240.  I would have loved to take our ten Day 3 picks and convert them into as many picks as possible in the #103 to #113 range.  

We're only talking about moving up 8 spots in the 4th round to get Clark Phillips who I like 10 times better than Ventrell Miller.  I can't believe we couldn't find a way to make it work.  I don't believe that no teams wanted to trade down.  This draft set a new NFL record for the number of draft day trades.  You just had to offer what was fair for this draft.  We clearly had the resources to do so.  The point chart says the move up should only cost us 16 points.  I know it can be different from draft to draft, but double it, triple it, quadruple it, whatever.  We had 170 points available to us.  I can't believe we couldn't make it work and still be left with more draft picks than could realistically make our 53 man roster.  It was a major missed opportunity.

Baalke made it clear that Antonio Johnson will be playing safety and special teams.  He doesn't appear to even be in consideration for the nickel corner role.  That leaves players taken at #202 and #208 to offer competition to Tre Herndon.  We can hope for the best, but I'm not optimistic.  Sadly, Herndon, who sucks, will likely be our starting nickel corner again in 2023.  If so, that will be a major failure of this draft.

I previously advocated trading up and specifically for Clark Phillips.  I was curious, so I looked at what trades were made and what they costed.  When I did, I found that I was right.  Teams could trade up and the cost wasn't unreasonable.  The team 1 spot ahead of us (Patriots) in the 4th round coincidentally traded up to the exact spot I wanted -- 1 spot ahead of Clark Phillips.  I mentioned above that the point chart said it would cost 16 points.  Guess what the Patriots paid?  16.2 points.  It cost them a 6th round pick.  Was that too much to move up?  To be fair, the Patriots traded 120 and 184 while we had 121 and 185 but come on.  Throw in another late pick or two.  Alternatively, we could have offered pick 160 instead of 185.  I find it very hard to believe the Jets wouldn't have preferred that offer to the one they accepted.

A second option also existed.  The Cardinals traded picks 122, 139 and 168 to the Lions move up to pick 96 (third round).  We could have offered the Lions picks 121, 136 and 160.  All three picks are higher.  If so, our draft could have been:

Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Clark Phillips or Dawand Jones or Adetomiwa Adebawore or Kelee Ringo or Nick Saldiveri
Two 4th Round Picks  
Three 6th Round Picks
Two 7th Round Picks

We could have gotten a quality player at a position of need and still had more late round picks than could realistically make the team.

Interestingly, I also just totaled the points for the trade.  The 96th pick is worth 116 points.  Guess what's the combined points of 121, 136 and 160?  116.2 points!  LOL!  As I said, we just needed to offer fair value.

Sorry to get into the nitty gritty, but the point is that this notion that there were no options for Baalke to trade up is just false.

(05-06-2023, 01:59 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(04-30-2023, 10:29 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: There is so much to say about the draft.  If I were to write it in one message, it would be ridiculously long.  I'll start with one of my big observations.  I considered the early 4th round to be the sweet spot in this draft where a lot of excellent value met the Jaguars needs.  You had Clark Phillips at 113, Dawand Jones at 111 and Adetomiwa Adebawore at 110.  I wasn't high on Kelee Ringo and didn't want him on Day 1 or Day 2 but was good value at 105.  Nick Saldiveri was also available at 103.  The problem was that these players were gone before our picks at #121, 127, 130, 136, 160, 185, 202, 208, 226 and 240.  I would have loved to take our ten Day 3 picks and convert them into as many picks as possible in the #103 to #113 range.  

We're only talking about moving up 8 spots in the 4th round to get Clark Phillips who I like 10 times better than Ventrell Miller.  I can't believe we couldn't find a way to make it work.  I don't believe that no teams wanted to trade down.  This draft set a new NFL record for the number of draft day trades.  You just had to offer what was fair for this draft.  We clearly had the resources to do so.  The point chart says the move up should only cost us 16 points.  I know it can be different from draft to draft, but double it, triple it, quadruple it, whatever.  We had 170 points available to us.  I can't believe we couldn't make it work and still be left with more draft picks than could realistically make our 53 man roster.  It was a major missed opportunity.

Baalke made it clear that Antonio Johnson will be playing safety and special teams.  He doesn't appear to even be in consideration for the nickel corner role.  That leaves players taken at #202 and #208 to offer competition to Tre Herndon.  We can hope for the best, but I'm not optimistic.  Sadly, Herndon, who sucks, will likely be our starting nickel corner again in 2023.  If so, that will be a major failure of this draft.

I previously advocated trading up and specifically for Clark Phillips.  I was curious, so I looked at what trades were made and what they costed.  When I did, I found that I was right.  Teams could trade up and the cost wasn't unreasonable.  The team 1 spot ahead of us (Patriots) in the 4th round coincidentally traded up to the exact spot I wanted -- 1 spot ahead of Clark Phillips.  I mentioned above that the point chart said it would cost 16 points.  Guess what the Patriots paid?  16.2 points.  It cost them a 6th round pick.  Was that too much to move up?  To be fair, the Patriots traded 120 and 184 while we had 121 and 185 but come on.  Throw in another late pick or two.  Alternatively, we could have offered pick 160 instead of 185.  I find it very hard to believe the Jets wouldn't have preferred that offer to the one they accepted.

A second option also existed.  The Cardinals traded picks 122, 139 and 168 to the Lions move up to pick 96 (third round).  We could have offered the Lions picks 121, 136 and 160.  All three picks are higher.  If so, our draft could have been:

Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Clark Phillips or Dawand Jones or Adetomiwa Adebawore or Kelee Ringo or Nick Saldiveri
Two 4th Round Picks  
Three 6th Round Picks
Two 7th Round Picks

We could have gotten a quality player at a position of need and still had more late round picks than could realistically make the team.

Interestingly, I also just totaled the points for the trade.  The 96th pick is worth 116 points.  Guess what's the combined points of 121, 136 and 160?  116.2 points!  LOL!  As I said, we just needed to offer fair value.

Sorry to get into the nitty gritty, but the point is that this notion that there were no options for Baalke to trade up is just false.

Perhaps, but you presume we coveted Philips or any of the guys you mention.  It could be that we coveted guys that went before all of them and couldn't find a partner to get up high enough to get them and then just decided to sit tight because there were plenty of guys left to choose from in the next highest tier on their board.  You're drawing fairly definitive conclusions off relatively little information.

(05-06-2023, 01:59 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:

Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Two 4th Round Picks  
Three 6th Round Picks
Two 7th Round Picks

I couldn't agree more with your post. The biggest failure of this draft was not getting a starting nickel. As you said, it would not have been difficult to move up and get him. Although he dropped from initial projections due to his unspectacular combine measurements, it's difficult to find any scouting services not high on him. He's unlikely to be an an outside corner due to his height, but getting a very good nickel like him in round 4 would have been  a steal. Miller is a tough, hardworking linebacker who will never be more than average. I doubt he's much better than Quarterman who has had trouble getting on the field other than special teams.

Trader Trent takes risks, goes down in NFL draft to bolster Jaguars' roster (jacksonville.com)

Over the 10 NFL Drafts Trent Baalke has presided over between the Jaguars and San Francisco 49ers, it has never been his foreordained strategy to be a wheeler-dealer.

While draft-day trades are inevitable for almost every NFL team, Baalke isn’t setting out to be Trader Trent.

“I don’t go into a draft thinking I’m going to make these trades, it just happens,” Baalke said in an interview with the Times-Union. “It’s not a calculated get-on-the-phone strategy.

“For the most part, it’s a gut feel of how the board is falling and whether it makes sense to trade back and get a couple picks.”...

As Doug would say, trust the process. Doug did some amazing things turning the culture and belief system around last year. Then the players started doing some amazing things once they started believing in themselves and trusting Doug.

As an Eagles fan, I know what Doug is trying to do on offense. He knows how to win games and his favorite formula is to get a few touchdown lead and then strangle the clock. He likes to manufacture those 10 minute drives late in the fourth quarter that just end games. It's how you take a 10 win team and turn it into a 15 win team. He needs short yardage pieces like a tight end and several running backs so he can keep one fresh to bell cow the late drives.

My team, with an inferior coach, made it to the super bowl with the formula they saw him using only they didn't understand the nuances the way he does. He knows you can't salt the clock in the super bowl. They didn't and we lost. Trust Doug, he's building something and you may not understand the reasons but he turned around the team, culture and the fan base in a single season. Have faith.

An Eagles and a Doug fan.

(05-06-2023, 03:52 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 01:59 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I previously advocated trading up and specifically for Clark Phillips.  I was curious, so I looked at what trades were made and what they costed.  When I did, I found that I was right.  Teams could trade up and the cost wasn't unreasonable.  The team 1 spot ahead of us (Patriots) in the 4th round coincidentally traded up to the exact spot I wanted -- 1 spot ahead of Clark Phillips.  I mentioned above that the point chart said it would cost 16 points.  Guess what the Patriots paid?  16.2 points.  It cost them a 6th round pick.  Was that too much to move up?  To be fair, the Patriots traded 120 and 184 while we had 121 and 185 but come on.  Throw in another late pick or two.  Alternatively, we could have offered pick 160 instead of 185.  I find it very hard to believe the Jets wouldn't have preferred that offer to the one they accepted.

Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Two 4th Round Picks  
Three 6th Round Picks
Two 7th Round Picks

Perhaps, but you presume we coveted Philips or any of the guys you mention.  It could be that we coveted guys that went before all of them and couldn't find a partner to get up high enough to get them and then just decided to sit tight because there were plenty of guys left to choose from in the next highest tier on their board.  You're drawing fairly definitive conclusions off relatively little information.

I didn't presume the Jaguars wanted Philips.  I said that I advocated for Philips.  I can draw extremely definitive conclusions because I was talking about MY strategy.  Baalke is obviously going to like his strategy or it wouldn't have been his strategy.  Besides, whether or not Baalke wanted Philips doesn't change that it was an option available to him.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2023, 09:44 AM by Mikey.)

(05-05-2023, 04:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-05-2023, 10:49 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Dude.

They tried to gather more picks in an attempt to use those picks to move back up in the later rounds. Then, no one would trade with them and they were stuck with the picks.

Their initial strategy didn’t work and they had to use more picks in this draft than they intended to.

I know they did not manage to use the extra picks to move up, but to call the whole transaction a failure, when they got the player they would have picked anyway, and got 3 extra picks without losing anything, is way overstating it.  Like I said before, if someone hands me $10, and I intend to use it at the bar, but the bar is closed, have I failed?  Or have I gained $10?

Bad analogy.

We had a $10 bill. We exchanged that with someone for $9.00 and $2 CDN, thinking that we could combine those foreign bills with 3 or 4 bucks left in our wallet to get 5 or 6 additional bucks to spend, but nobody wanted the foreign currency. So, we were left with our 3 or 4 bucks and whatever we could buy with canuckicash.

(05-06-2023, 09:05 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

we wanted A LOT of guys.

Big Grin

(05-08-2023, 09:42 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-05-2023, 04:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I know they did not manage to use the extra picks to move up, but to call the whole transaction a failure, when they got the player they would have picked anyway, and got 3 extra picks without losing anything, is way overstating it.  Like I said before, if someone hands me $10, and I intend to use it at the bar, but the bar is closed, have I failed?  Or have I gained $10?

Bad analogy.

We had a $10 bill. We exchanged that with someone for $9.00 and $2 CDN, thinking that we could combine those foreign bills with 3 or 4 bucks left in our wallet to get 5 or 6 additional bucks to spend, but nobody wanted the foreign currency. So, we were left with our 3 or 4 bucks and whatever we could buy with canuckicash.

No, we had a $10 bill and exchanged it for a $10 bill and $2 CDN.  I say that because we still drafted the player we were going to draft anyway.  We gained 2 late round picks at no expense.

(05-08-2023, 10:23 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-08-2023, 09:42 AM)Mikey Wrote: Bad analogy.

No, we had a $10 bill and exchanged it for a $10 bill and $2 CDN.  I say that because we still drafted the player we were going to draft anyway.  We gained 2 late round picks at no expense.

The strategy had two phases. 

Phase One: Trade back and acquire capital
Phase Two: Use capital to move back into round round three or four

Phase Two failed. It happens. They tried, they failed. 

The "free picks" in round 6, 7 and 8 were extreme long shots to begin with, and they are now even greater longshots because we have SEVEN players from those rounds  - and  we may only keep one or two of them. We won't be able to develop most of them because there is no room on the roster.

I like the plan of the draft as in base hits, depth, ST. and competition for the biggest part of it and a few that look like they could be studs.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2023, 04:38 PM by Mikey.)

(05-08-2023, 10:23 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-08-2023, 09:42 AM)Mikey Wrote: Bad analogy.

we traded down and risked losing the guy we wanted. The expense was calculated risk. If anyone else wanted AH as much as we did, they could have traded ahead of where we ended up and we'd have incurred loss. It wasn't free money. It was a gamble. Part of the gamble paid out (AH), the other part did not (extra picks to help move up). That's how gambling works, otherwise it would just be called winning.

(05-08-2023, 01:06 PM)wrong_box Wrote: I like the plan of the draft as in base hits, depth, ST. and competition for the biggest part of it and a few that look like they could be studs.

I can't hear 'base hits' without thinking of the gene-ius. woof.

(05-08-2023, 04:37 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-08-2023, 10:23 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: No, we had a $10 bill and exchanged it for a $10 bill and $2 CDN.  I say that because we still drafted the player we were going to draft anyway.  We gained 2 late round picks at no expense.

we traded down and risked losing the guy we wanted. The expense was calculated risk. If anyone else wanted AH as much as we did, they could have traded ahead of where we ended up and we'd have incurred loss. It wasn't free money. It was a gamble. Part of the gamble paid out (AH), the other part did not (extra picks to help move up). That's how gambling works, otherwise it would just be called winning.

(05-08-2023, 01:06 PM)wrong_box Wrote: I like the plan of the draft as in base hits, depth, ST. and competition for the biggest part of it and a few that look like they could be studs.

Bad analogy. (sorry couldn't resist)

Gambling is a zero sum game.  There's a winner and a loser.  We didn't lose anything by picking up extra picks as those late round prospects' stories have yet to be written.  We might not have gained what was intended, but we still gained something.

(05-08-2023, 04:56 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-08-2023, 04:37 PM)Mikey Wrote: we traded down and risked losing the guy we wanted. The expense was calculated risk. If anyone else wanted AH as much as we did, they could have traded ahead of where we ended up and we'd have incurred loss. It wasn't free money. It was a gamble. Part of the gamble paid out (AH), the other part did not (extra picks to help move up). That's how gambling works, otherwise it would just be called winning.

Bad analogy. (sorry couldn't resist)

Gambling is a zero sum game.  There's a winner and a loser.  We didn't lose anything by picking up extra picks as those late round prospects' stories have yet to be written.  We might not have gained what was intended, but we still gained something.

sure, we gained something, but if I went to the store for milk and eggs and came home with a jar of mayo and pickled herring, I'm not going to consider my venture a success.