Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Round 7 - Cooper Hodges Tackle/Guard

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2023, 02:10 AM by JagFanatic24. Edited 3 times in total.)

Trent said he was scouting another player a little while back and kept noticing Hodges pop up. Said he was a guy that could come in and play tackle or guard and again he offers versatility. He was a 4 time All-Sun Belt RT at App State. At 6’4 305, Hodges is projected to play Guard.

Hodges played over 3500 snaps for Appalchian State and only allowed 7 sacks. He is a local kid and attended Baker County High School, about 20 minutes from Jacksonville, FL. Hodges was Jaguars fan as a kid. Hodges said “I’m an I-10 man and the Jaguars is the reason I got into football.”

Hodges went on to say “this is my dream team.”

Welcome to BACK to Duval big son! Congratulations on getting drafted by your hometown team.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-30-2023, 01:37 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Trent said he was scouting another player a little while back and kept noticing Hodges pop up. Said he was a guy that could come in and play tackle or guard and again he offers versatility. He was a 4 time All-Sun Belt RT at App State. At 6’4 305, Hodges is projected to play Guard.

Hodges played over 3500 snaps for Appalchian State and only allowed 7 sacks. He is a local kid and attended Baker County High School, about 20 minutes from Jacksonville, FL. Hodges was Jaguars fan as a kid. Hodges said “I’m an I-10 man and the Jaguars is the reason I got into football.”

Hodges went on to say “this is my dream team.”

Welcome to BACK to Duval big son! Congratulations on getting drafted by your hometown team.

I'm grateful for the O line depth.  The more big uglies they draft up there, the better I like it.
[Image: giphy.gif]

If we actually have a good OLine for a change imagine how great this offense will be.

Lots of nice young talent being coached by a very good coach.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

I love picks like this. Good fit. Sounds happy & motivated.

Welcome fellow Wildcat!
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Baker County native !!!

(04-30-2023, 04:53 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: Lots of nice young talent being coached by a very good coach.

Young guns Little, Harrison, Fortner, and Bartsch, a few undrafted free agents, with Uncle Scherff and Papa Shatley.  

LG still seems like a gaping hole, and Fortner needs to take a huge step forward at center. Rauscher has his work cut out for him coaching up the "young talent."
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(05-01-2023, 05:00 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: Welcome fellow Wildcat!

Welcome to the jungle

I know nothing about this kid but being that we lack depth in general along the line and he looks like he's capable of playing tackle or guard? I am all for him making the team. Especially considering where we landed him.

I was high on Cody Mauch on the 2nd night of the draft. Was bummed out when the Buccaneers landed him but Hodges seems like a similar kind of athlete if I am not mistaken. He had to built his weight up throughout college, correct?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-02-2023, 01:00 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I know nothing about this kid but being that we lack depth in general along the line and he looks like he's capable of playing tackle or guard? I am all for him making the team. Especially considering where we landed him.

I was high on Cody Mauch on the 2nd night of the draft. Was bummed out when the Buccaneers landed him but Hodges seems like a similar kind of athlete if I am not mistaken. He had to built his weight up throughout college, correct?

Yea, but he doesn't have Cody's hair and smile!

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2023, 04:28 PM by JagFanatic24.)

This kid will probably make the 53 as a backup guard. He was a team captain and from what I understand, he was the best LT in his division. Both of our tackles went down last season at some point, and in a 17 game regular season plus playoffs, it will be a luxury for us to have him on the roster as he can step in and play tackle in a pinch. Plenty of experience out there.

Very happy and excited for this kid!

He's got the crowd behind him!

Go get it, big dog!!

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2023, 04:43 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-02-2023, 04:28 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: This kid will probably make the 53 as a backup guard. He was a team captain and from what I understand, he was the best LT in his division. Both of our tackles went down last season at some point, and in a 17 game regular season plus playoffs, it will be a luxury for us to have him on the roster as he can step in and play tackle in a pinch. Plenty of experience out there.

Good call. Here's the current roster line-up for the OL group:

Ben Bartch
Chandler Brewer
Luke Fortner
Blake Hance
Walker Little
Jimmy Murray
Cam Robinson
Brandon Scherff
Tyler Shatley
Cole Van Lanen
Josh Wells
Darryl Williams
Coy Cronk
Anton Harrison
Cooper Hodges

There's 15 guys in total. I bolded the guys that I know will be on the roster, due to cap situation, experience, play, etc. That's eight right there. So, really, his competition boils down to six other guys. I am not 100% sure how many you have to have on your roster and how many must be active on gamedays but you certainly need 5 for starting purposes and then I would guess to say at least another 4 - 5 guys on the roster. 

His competition really is:

Cronk
Williams
Van Lanen
Murray 
Hance
Brewer

I hope he honestly gets a shot at both, guard and tackle. Would just increase his odds of making it. I can't tell you [BLEEP] about any of these guys above, outside of Van Lanen. Who, I recall we traded for last year during the off season and I think he came in for one play at RG, when Scherff's helmet came off, annnnnd, he completely [BLEEP] the bed. He was blown up and the play resulted in a turnover or a big loss I think.

Hodges has a chance though. I would think we keep 9 players in the group in total on the roster. Just finish as a top 2 out of that group of 6 (7 counting him) and he'll have a job come September. They could also always be in the market for trading some of these players away. Cam Robinson would be my first guy to move on from via trade but it's hard to do that given his suspension and cap hit. I wouldn't rule out Bartch as a potential trading candidate.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2023, 04:46 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

Yeah typically it’s 9. Backups and special teams plus your 5 starters.

What Hodges brings to the table is punt team, extra point team, kickoff return team, he can jump in at either tackle, he can backup both guards. He would also be on a cheap contract.

I’m looking forward to seeing if this young man can develop.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.