Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How many rookies stick?
This poll is closed.
5.17%
6 5.17%
3.45%
4 3.45%
12.93%
15 12.93%
19.83%
23 19.83%
15.52%
18 15.52%
19.83%
23 19.83%
9 or more
17.24%
20 17.24%
Corn
5.17%
6 5.17%
Blank #2
0.86%
1 0.86%
Total 116 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

13 picks - How many make the 53?

With the large number of picks in the 4-7th rounds, we have an inordinate number of longshots on our roster currently.

How many survive come September? 

(PS doesn't count)

I guess 7 of the 13 make the team. Could be less.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I picked 7, could see 6. We'll stash several others.

That’s a very good question. I’m going to go higher than lower. Optimism

The obvious choices that make it:

Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Miller
Lacy
Abdullah
Johnson

The high "odds" they make it, due to rotational needs, special teams and versatility:

Washington
Braswell
Parish

The "fringe" guys that are long shots that have PS material or will have to really outshine a current 3rd and/or 4th stringer:

Hallett
Hodges
Vohasek

I said it somewhere already, but, I would wager nine out of thirteen make it. I think Washington and Braswell could just as easily fall in the "fringe" catergory but they have the utility already in their favor.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I see 8 to 10 and I think most that get cut will be stashed on the PS

I like hallet and Hodges more than long shots.

(04-30-2023, 11:12 AM)Jag88 Wrote: I like hallet and Hodges more than long shots.
Just depends on ST's value for me with Hallett and whether or not Hodges can come in and clearly set himself above guys like Van Lanen, Brewer and Hance.

In fairness to Hodges. You're probably right. Our offensive line depth is lacking. He could challenge early and often here.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The 3 guys who are obviously guaranteed are Harrison, Strange and Bigsby.

After that based on last year 53 roster at the start of the season there are guys who can compete.

WR Washington will likely be battling it out with Tim Jones.
Zay, Ridley, Kirk are locks and even Agnew I think (he was listed as WR)

OL is complicated as it will be a big battle between some brought in veteran and guys like Hodges. No idea.

DL/EDGE is the same thing: they are going to bring in veteran pass rusher(s) and other than Tyler Lacy who will likely take Smoot spot it's hard to predict the numbers there.
We also need to see what they plan to do with Lloyd as LB depth right now is already stacked with him, Muma, Oluokun and Quarterman.

CB is a battle royale with Darious Williams, Campbell and Herndon and then a world of 6/7 and UDFA from recent years battling it out. Just impossible to predict.

Safety it's interesting: Jenkins, Cisco, Wingard aren't going anywhere. Last year we started with 4 safeties and Daniel Thomas has been a core special teamer who wasn't a liability when called up.
Antonio Johnson training camp better be solid.

I'd say also say 7 guys will be on the starting 53 but could be a couple less or couple more depending on what happens with FA's and opportunites that come up.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2023, 01:52 PM by Jag88.)

Tim jones looked good in last year’s preseason games, but there are so many locks ahead of him.

I think we could possibly have 6 WRs this year with Tim Jones the odd man out..

Ridley, Kirk, Zay, Agnew, Washington, and Cooks

LOL
It is officially "fall in love with an undrafted receiver" szn

I'll be pretty stunned if any UDFAs make the roster.

I do think Tim Jones may go away with Washington taking his spot.

Ridley, Kirk, Jones, Agnew, Washington seem like the obvious five barring injury.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2023, 02:50 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

I said 6, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than that.  A rookie drafted in the later rounds is very cheap compared to a veteran backup, and the rookie will be here on that cheap contract for 4 years, while the veteran backup might be at the end of his contract.  For example, Daniel Thomas is in the last year of his contract.  So is Trevaughn Campbell.  And Jeremiah Ledbetter.  And Chris Claybrooks.  And Tyrie Gillespie (who the hell is that?).  And on and on.  A lot of veteran backups will no doubt be replaced by rookies. 

Shoot, if I had looked at our roster before I voted, I would probably have said 11 draft picks will make the team.  We have a bunch of scrubs on the end of our bench with contracts that expire at the end of this season.  

Plus, there's always optimism between the GM and the coaching staff about players they have just drafted and want to try and develop.

There's probably around 40 safe players that barring injury will be on the initial 53(+Cam) man roster. Add some of the bottom of the roster from last year and it's clear that most rookies will have a tough time.

(04-30-2023, 02:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

Without fail my guy, without fail.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2023, 03:19 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-30-2023, 02:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

Cole, Hurns, Robinson etc.  May the best man win  Where a player is drafted or not is irrelevant at this point.  If say Cooks looks much better in camp than Washington, Cooks needs to be ahead of him on the depth chart. I remember when people were saying Robinson couldn't beat out LF because he was a UDFA lol. Good times

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2023, 03:25 PM by I am Yoda.)

(04-30-2023, 11:02 AM)Caldrac Wrote: The obvious choices that make it:

Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Miller
Lacy
Abdullah
Johnson

The high "odds" they make it, due to rotational needs, special teams and versatility:

Washington
Braswell
Parish

The "fringe" guys that are long shots that have PS material or will have to really outshine a current 3rd and/or 4th stringer:

Hallett
Hodges
Vohasek

I said it somewhere already, but, I would wager nine out of thirteen make it. I think Washington and Braswell could just as easily fall in the "fringe" catergory but they have the utility already in their favor.

That’s not a bad breakdown. I would add Hodges to that list of those obvious choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(04-30-2023, 02:25 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: I'll be pretty stunned if any UDFAs make the roster.

I do think Tim Jones may go away with Washington taking his spot.

Ridley, Kirk, Jones, Agnew, Washington seem like the obvious five barring injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]

I said 8

Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Miller
Lacy
Abdullah
Johnson

Braswell or Hallett

The rest are practice squad or injury insurance. Hopefully I’m wrong and we see some surprises.

I said 7

Hodges a good chance with the lack of depth in the oline position

I said 8, won't be surprised in the DBs make a few of the returning guys expendable or relegated to PS