Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How many rookies stick?
This poll is closed.
5.17%
6 5.17%
3.45%
4 3.45%
12.93%
15 12.93%
19.83%
23 19.83%
15.52%
18 15.52%
19.83%
23 19.83%
9 or more
17.24%
20 17.24%
Corn
5.17%
6 5.17%
Blank #2
0.86%
1 0.86%
Total 116 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

13 picks - How many make the 53?

I know that I'm a little late to the party, but I liked this topic.  When it first came up, I wanted to review the 53 man roster before commenting but got a little tied up with other things and forgot to revisit it until now.  I think most people are voting low.  I voted for 9 or more.  First, it's not about who I like.  It's who Baalke likes and he picked these players for a reason.  Second, as some have mentioned, salary could be a consideration.  Many of these late round picks are competing against players in the final year of their deals.  Even if there's little savings this year, Baalke may like having them locked up for four years at a bargain price versus the other player who hits free agency in 2024 and can only be brought back at a higher price.  Third, it's going to be an embarrassment to Baalke if too many of these picks are cut.  I find it surprising that almost half are saying 6 or fewer.  Do people really think he's only going to keep 6 and cut 7?  Can you imagine the negative public reaction?  I'm not saying he's going to keep someone who clearly doesn't deserve it, but if it's close, the benefit of the doubt is going to go to the draft pick.  Bottom roster spots decisions are often close.  

As for the specific players, the first three are locks.  Also, if you look at the history of Jaguars drafts, it's rare for a 4th rounder to not make the 53 man roster.  I believe it has only happened two or three times in our history.  They have to be a real bust not to make the team.  As such, Miller and Lacy make the team.  I then think our two fifth rounders (Abdullah and Johnson) as well as our first sixth rounder (Washington) make the team.  That's 8.  You then just need 1 out of the remaining 5 to make the team and you got your 9.  I know the first 8 aren't locks and maybe there's a surprise cut, but it is also possible that two or even three of the remaining players make the team.

I think one of the DB's has the best chance (probably Braswell).  Both could make it but there's enough players competing for the bottom two roster spots that the odds of the two rookies finishing 1 and 2 isn't probable.

They say Hodges is going to play on the interior.  He basically has to beat out Van Lanen to make the 53 man roster.  That's doable.  This is also one where salary could be a consideration with Van Lanen an RFA next year and UFA the following year.  

Pederson likes his chess pieces and he must see a role for Parish or I don't think Baalke drafts him.  When I look at the 53 man roster, I have a little trouble finding a spot for him, but surprise cuts happen.  Special teams is often big in the bottom roster spots.

Our backups on the defensive line could go in a number of different directions, so I don't love Vohasek's chances, but it's certainly possible.

I say this equates to 9 or more.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-30-2023, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: With the large number of picks in the 4-7th rounds, we have an inordinate number of longshots on our roster currently.

How many survive come September? 

(PS doesn't count)

I guess 7 of the 13 make the team. Could be less.

Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Miller
Lacy
Abdullah
Washington
Hallet
Hodges
Vohasek 

These guys have all flashed at some point in camp.
Abdullah seems like he has a steep learning curve compared to the others right now though. 

Hard to imagine all 10 making the 53. 

This is going to get interesting

(05-28-2023, 03:15 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I know that I'm a little late to the party, but I liked this topic.  When it first came up, I wanted to review the 53 man roster before commenting but got a little tied up with other things and forgot to revisit it until now.  I think most people are voting low.  I voted for 9 or more.  First, it's not about who I like.  It's who Baalke likes and he picked these players for a reason.  Second, as some have mentioned, salary could be a consideration.  Many of these late round picks are competing against players in the final year of their deals.  Even if there's little savings this year, Baalke may like having them locked up for four years at a bargain price versus the other player who hits free agency in 2024 and can only be brought back at a higher price.  Third, it's going to be an embarrassment to Baalke if too many of these picks are cut.  I find it surprising that almost half are saying 6 or fewer.  Do people really think he's only going to keep 6 and cut 7?  Can you imagine the negative public reaction?  I'm not saying he's going to keep someone who clearly doesn't deserve it, but if it's close, the benefit of the doubt is going to go to the draft pick.  Bottom roster spots decisions are often close.  

As for the specific players, the first three are locks.  Also, if you look at the history of Jaguars drafts, it's rare for a 4th rounder to not make the 53 man roster.  I believe it has only happened two or three times in our history.  They have to be a real bust not to make the team.  As such, Miller and Lacy make the team.  I then think our two fifth rounders (Abdullah and Johnson) as well as our first sixth rounder (Washington) make the team.  That's 8.  You then just need 1 out of the remaining 5 to make the team and you got your 9.  I know the first 8 aren't locks and maybe there's a surprise cut, but it is also possible that two or even three of the remaining players make the team.

I think one of the DB's has the best chance (probably Braswell).  Both could make it but there's enough players competing for the bottom two roster spots that the odds of the two rookies finishing 1 and 2 isn't probable.

They say Hodges is going to play on the interior.  He basically has to beat out Van Lanen to make the 53 man roster.  That's doable.  This is also one where salary could be a consideration with Van Lanen an RFA next year and UFA the following year.  

Pederson likes his chess pieces and he must see a role for Parish or I don't think Baalke drafts him.  When I look at the 53 man roster, I have a little trouble finding a spot for him, but surprise cuts happen.  Special teams is often big in the bottom roster spots.

Our backups on the defensive line could go in a number of different directions, so I don't love Vohasek's chances, but it's certainly possible.

Forget about his ego. He misjudged the draft and other GMs' willingness to trade with him. This is about building the best 53-man roster to compete for a championship. 

I'd keep only:

Offense: Harrison, Strange, Bigsby

Defense: Lacy, Miller, Johnson

Stash Parish, Abdullah, Hodges, and the young DBs on the practice squad. Don't play them in the preseason to reduce other teams' interest. Putting 5-6 on the practice squad is ego management for Baalke.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(08-07-2023, 05:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-30-2023, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: With the large number of picks in the 4-7th rounds, we have an inordinate number of longshots on our roster currently.

(PS doesn't count)

Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Miller
Lacy
Abdullah
Washington
Hallet
Hodges
Vohasek 

Abdullah seems like he has a steep learning curve compared to the others right now though. 

(PS doesn't count)

Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Miller
Lacy
Abdullah
Washington
Hallet
Hodges
Vohasek 

Of the 10 players you mention, Hodges and Vohasek are the only two who may begin on the practice squad. If Vohasek keeps playing like he did today, he may beat out one of the veterans signed in the off-season. I haven't heard much about Abdullah, but it's disappointing if your observations on him are accurate. That would be even more reason for the team to sign one of the few remaining veteran free agents like Melvin Ingram or Dunlop. It would be worth the $5 or $6 million price tag for one season if their health checks out. Of all the players you mentioned, Ty Hallett has been the most pleasant surprise. I predict he will be getting many snaps at nickel before too long and eventually unseat Herndon as the starter. Both he and Antonio Johnson should become important parts of the secondary with Johnson gettin snaps at "big nickel" this season before replacing Jenkins at safety next season.

(08-07-2023, 06:18 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(05-28-2023, 03:15 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I know that I'm a little late to the party, but I liked this topic.  When it first came up, I wanted to review the 53 man roster before commenting but got a little tied up with other things and forgot to revisit it until now.  I think most people are voting low.  I voted for 9 or more.  First, it's not about who I like.  It's who Baalke likes and he picked these players for a reason.  Second, as some have mentioned, salary could be a consideration.  Many of these late round picks are competing against players in the final year of their deals.  Even if there's little savings this year, Baalke may like having them locked up for four years at a bargain price versus the other player who hits free agency in 2024 and can only be brought back at a higher price.  Third, it's going to be an embarrassment to Baalke if too many of these picks are cut.  I find it surprising that almost half are saying 6 or fewer.  Do people really think he's only going to keep 6 and cut 7?  Can you imagine the negative public reaction?  I'm not saying he's going to keep someone who clearly doesn't deserve it, but if it's close, the benefit of the doubt is going to go to the draft pick.  Bottom roster spots decisions are often close.  

Forget about his ego. He misjudged the draft and other GMs' willingness to trade with him. This is about building the best 53-man roster to compete for a championship. 

I'd keep only:

Offense: Harrison, Strange, Bigsby

Defense: Lacy, Miller, Johnson

Stash Parish, Abdullah, Hodges, and the young DBs on the practice squad. Don't play them in the preseason to reduce other teams' interest. Putting 5-6 on the practice squad is ego management for Baalke.

Yeah, that ain't happening. 31 other teams already scouted these guys (if their FO is worth a darn) and they already know who these guys are, and what their projected potential is. Not playing them is either a dead giveaway that they are injured, you're trying to hide tape, or they are in over their heads. I would imagine 91% of the teams out there could figure out which one of the three it is.

First depth chart released by team

A number of rookies appear right on the bubble including Lacey, Vohasek, and Braswell

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2023, 09:16 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-08-2023, 08:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: First depth chart released by team

A number of  rookies appear  right on the bubble including Lacey, Vohasek, and Braswell

Sounds about right. Really wasn't a fan of the Lacey selection. Would have preferred Herbig out of Wisconsin who ended up in Pittsburgh. Braswell is the name to watch though.

He's not considered a nickel/slot CB so he's going to have to earn his stripes this preseason soon putting in good work on the outside. Would like to see him challenge Herndon specifically for that 3rd/4th spot. Tony Pauline loved the guy coming out of Rutgers.

Vohasek I forgot about. He's a DT, correct? One of the last guys we took. 

Really interested in seeing Hodges at Guard/Tackle and Parish at FB and on ST's. I would like to see Parish get some work at DE just for the hell of it as well.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-07-2023, 09:17 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 05:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Miller
Lacy
Abdullah
Washington
Hallet
Hodges
Vohasek 

Of the 10 players you mention, Hodges and Vohasek are the only two who may begin on the practice squad. If Vohasek keeps playing like he did today, he may beat out one of the veterans signed in the off-season. I haven't heard much about Abdullah, but it's disappointing if your observations on him are accurate. That would be even more reason for the team to sign one of the few remaining veteran free agents like Melvin Ingram or Dunlop. It would be worth the $5 or $6 million price tag for one season if their health checks out. Of all the players you mentioned, Ty Hallett has been the most pleasant surprise. I predict he will be getting many snaps at nickel before too long and eventually unseat Herndon as the starter. Both he and Antonio Johnson should become important parts of the secondary with Johnson gettin snaps at "big nickel" this season before replacing Jenkins at safety next season.

Hodges ended up listed as the immediate back ups at RG on the first depth chart. 
Batch's return could shake that up. 

While Hallet and Johnson are both sort of on the bubble on the depth chart currently, I agree they seem to figure into plans to challenge for depth snaps, situational nickel, or maybe even outright starter at nickel. Hallet needs to leapfrog Tevaughn Campbell on that depth chart IMO. He's got 3 weeks. 

I agree Johnson is a candidate for SS OTF.

(08-08-2023, 09:15 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(08-08-2023, 08:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: First depth chart released by team

A number of  rookies appear  right on the bubble including Lacey, Vohasek, and Braswell

Sounds about right. Really wasn't a fan of the Lacey selection. Would have preferred Herbig out of Wisconsin who ended up in Pittsburgh. Braswell is the name to watch though.

He's not considered a nickel/slot CB so he's going to have to earn his stripes this preseason soon putting in good work on the outside. Would like to see him challenge Herndon specifically for that 3rd/4th spot. Tony Pauline loved the guy coming out of Rutgers.

Vohasek I forgot about. He's a DT, correct? One of the last guys we took. 

Really interested in seeing Hodges at Guard/Tackle and Parish at FB and on ST's. I would like to see Parish get some work at DE just for the hell of it as well.

Yes. He had some good flashes last week and yesterday. 
Best guess is PS for him, but if they keep enough big guys, maybe he squeaks into the 53. Long shot for sure.

(08-08-2023, 10:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 09:17 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Of the 10 players you mention, Hodges and Vohasek are the only two who may begin on the practice squad. If Vohasek keeps playing like he did today, he may beat out one of the veterans signed in the off-season. I haven't heard much about Abdullah, but it's disappointing if your observations on him are accurate. That would be even more reason for the team to sign one of the few remaining veteran free agents like Melvin Ingram or Dunlop. It would be worth the $5 or $6 million price tag for one season if their health checks out. Of all the players you mentioned, Ty Hallett has been the most pleasant surprise. I predict he will be getting many snaps at nickel before too long and eventually unseat Herndon as the starter. Both he and Antonio Johnson should become important parts of the secondary with Johnson gettin snaps at "big nickel" this season before replacing Jenkins at safety next season.

Hodges ended up listed as the immediate back ups at RG on the first depth chart. 
Batch's return could shake that up. 

While Hallet and Johnson are both sort of on the bubble on the depth chart currently, I agree they seem to figure into plans to challenge for depth snaps, situational nickel, or maybe even outright starter at nickel. Hallet needs to leapfrog Tevaughn Campbell on that depth chart IMO. He's got 3 weeks. 

I agree Johnson is a candidate for SS OTF.

John Shipley indicated this morning that the toughest battles will be at defensive back and wide receiver. He feels Gregory Junior has improved significantly and will earn a spot on the team. He also mentioned Erick Hallett as a late round pick who has had a good training camp. I have been plugging Hallett since seeing him at training camp and watching an interview with him. For some reason, I referred to him as Ty Hallett in a few other posts. After researching this on-line, the ex-Jaguar Ty Hallock appeared. He spent 1996-97 with the Jaguars and his name somehow stayed in my sub-conscious. Hallock was a journey-man player who lasted 8 seasons in the NFL due to special teams and the ability to play 3 positions (linebacker, tight end and fullback). My hope is that Erick Hallett has an NFL career that lasts as long as Hallock and that he eventually becomes a starter at nickel and Baalke's best value pick of the 2023 draft!

(04-30-2023, 02:53 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(04-30-2023, 02:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL
It is officially "fall in love with an undrafted receiver" szn

Without fail my guy, without fail.

Chad Owens!
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(05-01-2023, 09:35 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 07:29 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Be lucky if even half of them make the roster.

Honestly I wont be a bit surprised if we look back at this draft in 1-2 years and only 4 or 5 players from it are still on the roster.

If those 4-5 are good players in the league it'll be a slam dunk draft.

The team is going to need cheap depth once Trevor gets his contract extension.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(05-01-2023, 09:35 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 07:29 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Be lucky if even half of them make the roster.

Honestly I wont be a bit surprised if we look back at this draft in 1-2 years and only 4 or 5 players from it are still on the roster.

If those 4-5 are good players in the league it'll be a slam dunk draft.

The team is going to need cheap depth once Trevor gets his contract extension.

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2023, 08:57 AM by ATLjag. Edited 2 times in total.)

Initially, I said 9-10 drafted rookies would make the 53 much earlier in the thread. With a little more familiarity with the players, I am guessing 8 now.

Offense: Bigsby, Harrison, Strange, Washington
The 1st 3 are no-question locks. Washington moved into a lock now with his return specialist ability in camp.

Defense: Abdullah, Lacy, Johnson, Miller
Addullah and Lacy make it for their upside and backup vets in front of them being more expensive and mediocre at best. Johnson has been a stud in camp. Miller, if healthy, has more upside than the popular but limited Quarterman.

PS: Hodges, Hallett, Braswell, Vohasek, Parrish

(08-08-2023, 08:27 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote:
(04-30-2023, 02:53 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Without fail my guy, without fail.

Chad Owens!

Interestingly enough - the UDFA receiver I was referring to when responding to gatur-guy was Elijah Cooks. 

While I poked fun at him for predicting Cooks would make the 53 as a 6th receiver, the kid has indeed looked very good in camp! He may have a future in the league.

Personally I like Corn's chances.

(08-10-2023, 04:19 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Personally I like Corn's chances.

He is  going to tittiians

(PS doesn't count)

Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Miller
Lacy
Abdullah
Washington
Hallet
Hodges
Vohasek 

You didn't list Antonio Johnson.  Are you not a fan or was that an oversight?

I previously predicted 9+ and I still like it.  I saw the following as very likely to make the team:

Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Miller
Lacy
Abdullah
Johnson
Washington

I still do.  That's 8.  The remaining 5 are iffy, but we only need 1 of the 5 to reach the 9+ threshold.  Right now, I would say Hallet probably has the best chance.  Reports have been that Vohasek has made some big hits, so I like his chances better now than before.  Braswell missing time has hurt him, so he needs to finish strong if he wants a roster spot.  I feel like Hodges and Parish will probably be near misses.  I see them as likely to be on our practice squad.

(08-10-2023, 08:18 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 05:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Miller
Lacy
Abdullah
Washington
Hallet
Hodges
Vohasek 

You didn't list Antonio Johnson.  Are you not a fan or was that an oversight?

I previously predicted 9+ and I still like it.  I saw the following as very likely to make the team:

Harrison
Strange
Bigsby
Miller
Lacy
Abdullah
Johnson
Washington

I still do.  That's 8.  The remaining 5 are iffy, but we only need 1 of the 5 to reach the 9+ threshold.  Right now, I would say Hallet probably has the best chance.  Reports have been that Vohasek has made some big hits, so I like his chances better now than before.  Braswell missing time has hurt him, so he needs to finish strong if he wants a roster spot.  I feel like Hodges and Parish will probably be near misses.  I see them as likely to be on our practice squad.

Forgot Johnson.
Thanks for the catch.