Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How many rookies stick?
This poll is closed.
5.17%
6 5.17%
3.45%
4 3.45%
12.93%
15 12.93%
19.83%
23 19.83%
15.52%
18 15.52%
19.83%
23 19.83%
9 or more
17.24%
20 17.24%
Corn
5.17%
6 5.17%
Blank #2
0.86%
1 0.86%
Total 116 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

13 picks - How many make the 53?

(08-29-2023, 03:52 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: So is this an accurate list of rookies who made the team? 

Tank Bigsby
Parker Washington
Elijah Cooks (UDFA)
Cooper Hodges
Brenton Strange
Tyler Lacy
Yasir Abdullah
Christian Braswell
Antonio Johnson
Anton Harrison
Ventrell Miller (IR)

The quantity of picks making the roster is impressive. The quality, however, is TBD. If I had to predict based on pre-season performance, this is how I see their future with the Jaguars:

Harrison: Very solid starter and potentially a top 5-10 tackle.

Bigsby: Valuable complement to Etienne who could easily be starting for other teams.

Strange: Should stick around for several years due to ability as a blocker and short distance pass catcher who is hard to bring down.

Tyler Lacy and Antonio Johnson: Both should be contributors on defense this season with Johnson replacing Jenkins following this season at safety.

Parker Washington and Yasir Abdullah: Not yet sure if these two have physical traits to succeed at the NFL level. Washington does have a potential role as 
                                                        kick/punt returner replacing Agnew after this season. Abdullah must overcome his size limitations which will be tough.

Christian Braswell, Elijah Cooks and Ventrell Miller: Cooks could stick due to size/speed ratio being 6'4" and timed at 4.5 in forty. Braswell and Miller don't yet seem
                                                                         ready (Miller lacks athleticism and will be on IR this year while Braswell has a long way to go from his current
                                                                         level at nickel/corner).

All in all, a potentially good group. The only criticism is that Baalke should have traded up at some point to get a nickel/corner with better credentials than Braswell and Hallett. He definitely had the opportunities based on his excess of picks, even though he likely felt the offers he received were unreasonable. Hopefully, Herndon will prove me wrong or Junior will beat him out at some point.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-29-2023, 03:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 02:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: LOL, 

I guess Baalke and DP are officially in the "fall in love with an undrafted receiver"  camp.  Same undrafted WR I was high on.

He's good. I referenced this post a while back in another thread praising Cooks and I predicted him to make the team in the 53 thread. 

I was wrong to make fun of you.
I still enjoyed making fun of you though. 

Big Grin Tongue

Here is Zay talking about yer boy making the team:

https://twitter.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1...73164?s=20

Sorry for poor typing!

(08-29-2023, 05:03 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 03:52 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: So is this an accurate list of rookies who made the team? 

Tank Bigsby
Parker Washington
Elijah Cooks (UDFA)
Cooper Hodges
Brenton Strange
Tyler Lacy
Yasir Abdullah
Christian Braswell
Antonio Johnson
Anton Harrison
Ventrell Miller (IR)

The quantity of picks making the roster is impressive. The quality, however, is TBD. If I had to predict based on pre-season performance, this is how I see their future with the Jaguars:

Bigsby: Valuable complement to Etienne who could easily be starting for other teams.

Strange: Should stick around for several years due to ability as a blocker and short distance pass catcher who is hard to bring down.

Tyler Lacy and Antonio Johnson: Both should be contributors on defense this season with Johnson replacing Jenkins following this season at safety.

Parker Washington and Yasir Abdullah: Not yet sure if these two have physical traits to succeed at the NFL level. Washington does have a potential role as 
                                                        kick/punt returner replacing Agnew after this season. Abdullah must overcome his size limitations which will be tough.

Christian Braswell, Elijah Cooks and Ventrell Miller: Cooks could stick due to size/speed ratio being 6'4" and timed at 4.5 in forty. Braswell and Miller don't yet seem
                                                                         ready (Miller lacks athleticism and will be on IR this year while Braswell has a long way to go from his current
                                                                         level at nickel/corner).

All in all, a potentially good group. The only criticism is that Baalke should have traded up at some point to get a nickel/corner with better credentials than Braswell and Hallett. He definitely had the opportunities based on his excess of picks, even though he likely felt the offers he received were unreasonable. Hopefully, Herndon will prove me wrong or Junior will beat him out at some point.

According to Baalke - he led a pretty exhaustive search for trade partners and found none willing to accept a bundle of late selections.  I do count that as a miscalculation in draft strategy, but it would appear it wasn't for a lack of effort.

(08-29-2023, 05:03 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:

Tank Bigsby
Parker Washington
Elijah Cooks (UDFA)
Cooper Hodges
Brenton Strange
Tyler Lacy
Yasir Abdullah
Christian Braswell
Antonio Johnson
Anton Harrison
Ventrell Miller (IR)

level at nickel/corner).

I'm much more concerned with our back up pass rush.  I'd like to add King but I think JR can man down that spot and continue to improve.

I’m concerned with entire pass rush, not just the backups. Still hoping they bring in a veteran.

Regarding how many rookies made the roster:

We were already a young team.
I think we are even younger now!
Gotta be among the 10 youngest in the league.
I'm sure that list will emerge in a day or two as rosters get solidified.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2023, 09:55 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I wonder how many teams carried 7 WRs?

(08-29-2023, 05:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 03:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: He's good. I referenced this post a while back in another thread praising Cooks and I predicted him to make the team in the 53 thread. 

I was wrong to make fun of you.
I still enjoyed making fun of you though. 

Big Grin Tongue

Here is Zay talking about yer boy making the team:

I agree with him.  He is a possible star in the making.  Trevor loves big WRs and he is the only really big WR we have.  Hopefully Doug has some packages for him in the redzone

(08-29-2023, 09:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I wonder how many teams carried 7 WRs?

(08-29-2023, 05:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Here is Zay talking about yer boy making the team:

I agree with him.  He is a possible star in the making.  Trevor loves big WRs and he is the only really big WR we have.  Hopefully Doug has some packages for him in the redzone

You know he does.   Cooks as a wR is almost like having that 4th TE.  I can see Evan Engram 6'2 240 lbs on one side, Cooks  6'4 214 lbs? on the other. They both chip the DE's on the way out.  Not a lot of teams have the CB's that can match up to 2 Big bodies like that.  Zay is not a big body but is 6'2. I can't remember us ever having that opportunity in our receiving corps ever.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(08-29-2023, 10:19 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 09:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I wonder how many teams carried 7 WRs?

You know he does.   Cooks as a wR is almost like having that 4th TE.  I can see Evan Engram 6'2 240 lbs on one side, Cooks  6'4 214 lbs? on the other. They both chip the DE's on the way out.  Not a lot of teams have the CB's that can match up to 2 Big bodies like that.  Zay is not a big body but is 6'2. I can't remember us ever having that opportunity in our receiving corps ever.

Reggie Williams

(08-29-2023, 10:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 10:19 PM)Jag149 Wrote: You know he does.   Cooks as a wR is almost like having that 4th TE.  I can see Evan Engram 6'2 240 lbs on one side, Cooks  6'4 214 lbs? on the other. They both chip the DE's on the way out.  Not a lot of teams have the CB's that can match up to 2 Big bodies like that.  Zay is not a big body but is 6'2. I can't remember us ever having that opportunity in our receiving corps ever.

Reggie Williams

yea, but who was the other big body?

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2023, 10:32 PM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-29-2023, 10:26 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 10:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Reggie Williams

yea, but who was the other big body?

Ernest Wilford and Matt Jones

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2023, 10:33 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(08-29-2023, 10:30 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 10:26 PM)Jag149 Wrote: yea, but who was the other big body?

Ernest Wilford

This

Hopefully Cooks can be what we hoped Reggie Williams could of been

(08-29-2023, 10:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 10:30 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Ernest Wilford

This

I had forgotten about Earnest.  Then they didn't have TL throwing the rock either.  (or the other WR options on the field at the same time.  We certainly have a WR buffet for Trevor this year.

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2023, 07:55 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-29-2023, 10:48 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 10:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This

I had forgotten about Earnest.  Then they didn't have TL throwing the rock either.  (or the other WR options on the field at the same time.  We certainly have a WR buffet for Trevor this year.

Had Matt Jones as well who was 6'6". Still miss those patented 1 handed catches. What could have been

(08-30-2023, 07:54 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 10:48 PM)Jag149 Wrote: I had forgotten about Earnest.  Then they didn't have TL throwing the rock either.  (or the other WR options on the field at the same time.  We certainly have a WR buffet for Trevor this year.

Had Matt Jones as well who was 6'6".  Still miss those patented 1 handed catches.  What could have been

What he did to himself was crazy.  He must have been dumb as a rock.

Looks like eight rookies made it. I don't see Miller on the list. The LB we drafted. If the ACL didnt happen he probably makes it over Quarterman. I was close with my initial guess of nine.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-30-2023, 07:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-30-2023, 07:54 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Had Matt Jones as well who was 6'6".  Still miss those patented 1 handed catches.  What could have been

What he did to himself was crazy.  He must have been dumb as a rock.

What's even crazier is it wasn't illicit drugs that dealt the final blow, it was beer. A blood test confirmed he had consumed alcohol within the previous two days. When asked about it he told them that he had drank a couple of beers while playing golf over the weekend. Jones didn't understand that he was to consume no substance, legal or illegal. Those beers caused him to be released and he never made another roster.

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2023, 10:09 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-30-2023, 09:47 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Looks like eight rookies made it. I don't see Miller on the list. The LB we drafted. If the ACL didnt happen he probably makes it over Quarterman. I was close with my initial guess of nine.

11 rookies.

Tank Bigsby
Parker Washington
Elijah Cooks (UDFA)
Cooper Hodges
Brenton Strange
Tyler Lacy
Yasir Abdullah
Christian Braswell
Antonio Johnson
Anton Harrison
Ventrell Miller (IR)

(08-30-2023, 09:47 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Looks like eight rookies made it. I don't see Miller on the list. The LB we drafted. If the ACL didnt happen he probably makes it over Quarterman. I was close with my initial guess of nine.

Miller tore his Achilles last week, he's on IR now.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato