Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Is Trump good for the GOP?
This poll is closed.
Yes
25.93%
7 25.93%
No
40.74%
11 40.74%
Not ideal, but might be the best chance to be voted in
7.41%
2 7.41%
I wish they'd focus on a less polarizing candidate
25.93%
7 25.93%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

TRUMP: Good for the GOP? Or, nah?

Since there are a number of conservative and independent-ish folks hanging about these threads usually, I thought it would be good to see where folks currently land on this.

DT looks like a lock to win the Republican nomination again. 

Is that a good thing for the party, or a bad thing? 
If you don't care about the party, is it good for conservatives, or not? 

Are there candidates who are less polarizing you'd prefer? 

Not trying to stir the pot here as you all know I'm your favorite resident "libtard." 
Just genuinely interested in how Trump is viewed as a candidate in 2024 amongst you folks.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Was for DeSantis.. Now I'm tired of the bull [BLEEP] going on..

Trump 2024!!

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Don't really like Trump, not sure if he's better than what we currently have or not, I think they both pretty much stink. Was hoping DeSantis would be the guy but he's starting to go down a similar path I don't really like. I see and like a lot of what Vivek Ramaswamy has to say, but he realistically doesn't have a chance. Maybe next election, who knows where we'll be.

Honestly, I don't really care about the GOP. I think most of them are as corrupt as they come. I think Trump has zero chance of winning the general, so it's a fool's errand to vote for him. Unfortunately, I don't see a better choice. Let's be clear. Trump is not an ideal President. He's loud. He's uncouth. He's a narcissist. He's a liar. That said, I think he sees there's a problem in our government, knows it needs to be fixed, and I don't think anyone else has the balls to stand up to it. Truth be told, I don't think any Republican has a chance. We all know the democrats are terrible, but their influence is too far reaching, and our general population isn't smart enough to recognize how broken our system has become.

Whoever it is needs to be an outsider. I like Ron for FL, but I don't trust him for the Presidency. Some of his antics recently have just seemed more showy than practical, and I'm not interested in that at the national level. Ramaswamy is right that Americans need to share an identity, but he's not going to win that. Unless he is willing to clean house and deal with the fallout that comes from attempting such a feat, he's not going to make any headway on this issue. We have to go after the corporate-government carousel and the corruption of policy that is only strengthening that bond.

Of the current choices or future choices, Trump is the best candidate for the country, as much as it depresses me to say that. Unfortunately, the narrative has been cast that he's divisive, even though the main drivers of that come from the democratic party and the media who is in their pocket.

We're [BLEEP].
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Trump is a duality. His personality is narcissistic and abrasive but his policies in office were good for the country. Let’s admit it, the only reason he faced impeachment is because he was threatening the Democrat power base and called the MSM out as an arm of the DNC that everyone knows they are. He created powerful enemies by clearly exposing DC as the swamp he claimed it is. Is there anyone here who disputes that?

My final answer is No. He is not good for the GOP because he chooses to take it all down with him rather than promote another candidate who is not so divisive.

(05-02-2023, 11:34 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Trump is a duality. His personality is narcissistic and abrasive but his policies in office were good for the country. Let’s admit it, the only reason he faced impeachment is because he was threatening the Democrat power base and called the MSM out as an arm of the DNC that everyone knows they are. He created powerful enemies by clearly exposing DC as the swamp he claimed it is. Is there anyone here who disputes that?

My final answer is No. He is not good for the GOP because he chooses to take it all down with him rather than promote another candidate who is not so divisive.

Absolutely.  I dispute that.  But regardless, that's answering a different question, "Is Trump good for the country" or "Is Trump good for democracy?"  Is he good for the GOP? That's a harder question.  I don't think any other Republican beats Hillary in 2016, but I also don't think any other Republican loses to Biden in 2020.  First he engaged a bunch of people who don't usually vote to vote for him.  But his actions in office engaged yet another set of people who don't usually vote to vote against him.  Maybe it's recency bias but if 2024 is a rematch it will be the same result.  A lot of those same voters will turn out to vote against Trump.  If you have a different candidate in 2024, turnout probably goes down, but GOP chances go up.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

The GOP is dead.. Nobody in it but RINOS and cowards.

To hell with the GOP..

(05-02-2023, 12:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 11:34 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Trump is a duality. His personality is narcissistic and abrasive but his policies in office were good for the country. Let’s admit it, the only reason he faced impeachment is because he was threatening the Democrat power base and called the MSM out as an arm of the DNC that everyone knows they are. He created powerful enemies by clearly exposing DC as the swamp he claimed it is. Is there anyone here who disputes that?

Absolutely.  I dispute that.  But regardless, that's answering a different question, "Is Trump good for the country" or "Is Trump good for democracy?"  Is he good for the GOP? That's a harder question.  I don't think any other Republican beats Hillary in 2016, but I also don't think any other Republican loses to Biden in 2020.  First he engaged a bunch of people who don't usually vote to vote for him.  But his actions in office engaged yet another set of people who don't usually vote to vote against him.  Maybe it's recency bias but if 2024 is a rematch it will be the same result.  A lot of those same voters will turn out to vote against Trump.  If you have a different candidate in 2024, turnout probably goes down, but GOP chances go up.

[Image: giphy.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-02-2023, 12:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Are you really calling someone out for not answering the question asked?

I agree with Biscuit. Ultimately no because Trump would rather burn it all to the ground rather than lose or admit a mistake.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(05-02-2023, 01:33 PM)copycat Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 12:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: Absolutely.  I dispute that.  But regardless, that's answering a different question, "Is Trump good for the country" or "Is Trump good for democracy?"  Is he good for the GOP? That's a harder question.  I don't think any other Republican beats Hillary in 2016, but I also don't think any other Republican loses to Biden in 2020.  First he engaged a bunch of people who don't usually vote to vote for him.  But his actions in office engaged yet another set of people who don't usually vote to vote against him.  Maybe it's recency bias but if 2024 is a rematch it will be the same result.  A lot of those same voters will turn out to vote against Trump.  If you have a different candidate in 2024, turnout probably goes down, but GOP chances go up.

Are you really calling someone out for not answering the question asked?

I agree with Biscuit. Ultimately no because Trump would rather burn it all to the ground rather than lose or admit a mistake.

You're not wrong, and homebiscuit is not wrong, however, the part I bolded has nothing to do with whether y'all are right or wrong.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(05-02-2023, 12:11 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: The GOP is dead.. Nobody in it but RINOS and cowards.

To hell with the GOP..

Not dead yet, but in need of serious reform.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Washington DC needs an enema. Across the board. It's already been said, we're [BLEEP].

Trump is the single worse thing to ever happen to republicans.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Sorry, dude, but if Trump doesn't happen, it's just more pretense.

Well there's definitely no worse than Biden.. That's the [BLEEP] truth!

This thing only got six votes.

Wondering if being found liable for sexual assault, battery and defamation has swayed anyone?

https://www.reuters.com/legal/jurors-set...023-05-09/

(05-10-2023, 10:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: This thing only got six votes.

Wondering if being found liable for sexual assault, battery and defamation has swayed anyone?

Meh, another failed witch hunt.

Trump didn't rape me either, can I also get five million please? Laughing
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Yep, it's driving people to him rather than away from him. Being the victim of a witch hunt will do that to a candidate.

(05-10-2023, 10:48 AM)Jagwired Wrote:

Meh, another failed witch hunt.

Trump didn't rape me either, can I also get five million please? Laughing

Yes, all you have to do is convince a jury to unanimously decide that he did in fact sexually assault, attack, and defame you.