Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Key to the Season - Travon Walker

Not an often poster, but always lurking and following our beloved Jags.  I've also been listening to the local talking heads and thinking a lot about where we stand coming into the season.

I feel like Doug and Trent have done a commendable building this team to where it is today.  While there are plenty of areas for improvement, the biggest glaring needs to me are at CB and pass rusher, which tells me one thing, we may have issues stopping the pass this year.  That's not a good area to be lacking in today's passing league, especially with the murderers row of AFC QBs.  The team has super bowl aspirations, but this could and likely will be the reason if the team falls short.  The rest of the team feels pretty solid, although I think the OL could be a little stronger.  We still have the rest of Free Agency to fill some gaps, but the team is largely built as it stands.

With that said, I think Travon Walker is the biggest piece of the puzzle we need to come through for us this year.  He has the physical tools and opportunity to make a giant leap this year and boy do we need it!  I think at this point, we know what we can expect out of the rest of pass rushers, but Travon's contributions this year will be huge and really season defining IMO. A lethal pass rush changes everything and can easily compensate for secondary deficiencies.  If the rest of the team performs as we expect, we GOT TO HAVE huge improvements from Travon if we want to achieve the goal this year.

Hope he's busting his butt this offseason and comes through huge, as we would expect from a #1 pick.  I think, in oversimplified terms, our season comes down to what he can do on the field this year.

Agree, bash, or indifference - your thoughts are welcomed!  Go Jags!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It would be nice. Can he become a Calais Campbell type rusher? Josh Allen seems to be what he is around a 5-6 sack a year guy...
No Fun

Hopefully Josh Allen can get into double digit sacks this season. He still hasn’t played up to his potential even though I see the assignment of he is what he is so far.

(05-08-2023, 01:11 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Not an often poster, but always lurking and following our beloved Jags.  I've also been listening to the local talking heads and thinking a lot about where we stand coming into the season.

I feel like Doug and Trent have done a commendable building this team to where it is today.  While there are plenty of areas for improvement, the biggest glaring needs to me are at CB and pass rusher, which tells me one thing, we may have issues stopping the pass this year.  That's not a good area to be lacking in today's passing league, especially with the murderers row of AFC QBs.  The team has super bowl aspirations, but this could and likely will be the reason if the team falls short.  The rest of the team feels pretty solid, although I think the OL could be a little stronger.  We still have the rest of Free Agency to fill some gaps, but the team is largely built as it stands.

With that said, I think Travon Walker is the biggest piece of the puzzle we need to come through for us this year.  He has the physical tools and opportunity to make a giant leap this year and boy do we need it!  I think at this point, we know what we can expect out of the rest of pass rushers, but Travon's contributions this year will be huge and really season defining IMO. A lethal pass rush changes everything and can easily compensate for secondary deficiencies.  If the rest of the team performs as we expect, we GOT TO HAVE huge improvements from Travon if we want to achieve the goal this year.

Hope he's busting his butt this offseason and comes through huge, as we would expect from a #1 pick.  I think, in oversimplified terms, our season comes down to what he can do on the field this year.

My thoughts are that you've averaged over 0.9 posts per day in your time here.  I'd call that more often than most.  Definitely more often than me.

(05-08-2023, 01:46 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Hopefully Josh Allen can get into double digit sacks this season. He still hasn’t played up to his potential even though I see the assignment of he is what he is so far.

Josh Allen is better than average but just. He’ll probably be playing somewhere else next year and that’s a key reason we picked up a new LB in the draft.

I agree with the OP that the development of Walker will be a critical this year. Hopefully the coaches will drop the idea of him being an OLB and have him play full time with his hand in the dirt. He could be a new version of Tony Brackens if he develops and is used right.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-08-2023, 02:21 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-08-2023, 01:11 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Not an often poster, but always lurking and following our beloved Jags.  I've also been listening to the local talking heads and thinking a lot about where we stand coming into the season.

My thoughts are that you've averaged over 0.9 posts per day in your time here.  I'd call that more often than most.  Definitely more often than me.

Edit:  Not an often RECENT poster!

I don't know if "HUGE" improvement is what I'm looking for out of Walker as much as standard development.

We drafted a raw player without a true position based on traits and potential.
It's not that he was bad in year one - as much as he just needed that time to acclimate.

No idea how much he'll have his hand in the ground this year wether it's outside in a 4-3 look or playing 3-4 end inside of the OLBs, but I hope we see his arsenal of pass rush moves grow.

I feel like he'll make an impact.
Still too many question marks in the pass rush rotation at edge and interior and there are still holes in coverage that don't do those guys any favors, so... I'll pass my judgment on the kid in a measured fashion.

(05-08-2023, 01:11 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:  ..today's passing league...

Other 1st overall pick. The team lives and dies by our King. LONG MAY HE REIGN. Baalke, however, might be living or dying by Walker.
If THE MAN gets more accurate with the deep ball, getchya fingers measured. THATS RIGHT- PLURAL.

I think that Travon is going to continue to grow as a player for the foreseeable future.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

the real key to the season is our key players staying healthy.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

The defense nor anyone on it is the key. The key is Doug, then Trevor, then the offense, then the defense.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The key is to score more points each game than the other team.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2023, 08:37 PM by OzJohnnie.)

(05-08-2023, 02:21 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:

Lol.  It's nuggets like this post that keep me addicted to this forum.

(05-08-2023, 08:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The defense nor anyone on it is the key. The key is Doug, then Trevor, then the offense, then the defense.

I agree with you, and that's what I'm getting at.  I expect Doug, Trevor and the offense to be good.  Really good.  There are questions on the defense, and primarily our pass D.  The difference between a really good team and a team that can go all the way can be a small margin.  One that a stellar year from Travon could compensate weaknesses for and possibly get us all the way.

Walker needs to show off some new moves. Lol

The key left and went to the titans smh.

This is why I thought bringing Calais back was almost a must have. I feel like any D-line he has been a part of is generally very disruptive. I was sad to see him go to ATL. Walker has a lot of room to improve.

(05-09-2023, 12:26 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: The key left and went to the titans smh.

[Image: forehead-slap-slapping-forehead-oh-my-god-gif-13308042]

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2023, 04:50 AM by ChrisJagBoy.)

(05-09-2023, 03:50 AM)StrayaJag Wrote:
(05-09-2023, 12:26 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: The key left and went to the titans smh.

[Image: forehead-slap-slapping-forehead-oh-my-god-gif-13308042]

did u know he literally built the jaguars, and we disrespected him smh.. dude gave us 4.5 sacks dude was literally the reason we made the playoffs!

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2023, 04:36 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-08-2023, 08:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The defense nor anyone on it is the key. The key is Doug, then Trevor, then the offense, then the defense.

This. They added Ridley. They'll move Little to LT and they replaced Taylor with Harrison at RT. They added a legitimate H-Back that can flex out as a TE with the 61st pick and a legitimate #2 back (hopefully) with Bigsby with the 88th pick. In addition to adding a freak athlete in Parish that should be our FB. 

They clearly wanted to get bigger, faster and stronger coming out of the backfield this year and that was to balance out the passing game completely from last year. Which is something we lacked at times here and there.

Lawrence should be an MVP candidate year round now. I read somewhere that we scored a total of 92 points with our first possession. Regardless of 1st half or 2nd half. This put us pretty high up on the list in good company and we all remember a few games where the offense came out and stalled, barely, due to a dropped TD pass, a fumble or an INT on some of those opening opportunities within striking distance. 

This offense is poised to take a massive step forward in 2023. Should be right up there with Kansas City. It's a whole hell of a lot easier to play defense when your offense is scoring early and often and then controlling the flow of the game on the ground. Defensively they should be able to scheme more easily and effectively. 

I fully expect this defense to beat the piss out of our division this year. Fully expect it. Especially if any of these rookie QB's are thrusted into the opening line-up at any point in time within September. Which is a very, very real possibility.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."