Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Key to the Season - Travon Walker

I just want to see him inside with his hand in the dirt.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-09-2023, 05:19 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I just want to see him inside with his hand in the dirt.

That's what she said. AmIrite?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

An injury to Walker or Allen is a scary possibility for this team, we have got to add another pass rusher! I don’t love the free agent options right now and it’s telling that no one is signed. If I’m Baalke, I think I’d add a cheap FA, then if things are looking good record wise and we have a shot to make a run, I’d look for a trade with a team looking to the future.

All year 2/3 defenders need to take a big jump this year if we're going to challenge for the Super Bowl. Trevor and the offense will be good, but if you can't get KC, Buffalo, or Cincy off the field on 3rd down its going to be much harder to win those games. Walker is the centerpiece of the defense and needs to be much improved in order to advance further into the playoffs.

(05-08-2023, 01:11 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Not an often poster, but always lurking and following our beloved Jags.  I've also been listening to the local talking heads and thinking a lot about where we stand coming into the season.

I feel like Doug and Trent have done a commendable building this team to where it is today.  While there are plenty of areas for improvement, the biggest glaring needs to me are at CB and pass rusher, which tells me one thing, we may have issues stopping the pass this year.  That's not a good area to be lacking in today's passing league, especially with the murderers row of AFC QBs.  The team has super bowl aspirations, but this could and likely will be the reason if the team falls short.  The rest of the team feels pretty solid, although I think the OL could be a little stronger.  We still have the rest of Free Agency to fill some gaps, but the team is largely built as it stands.

With that said, I think Travon Walker is the biggest piece of the puzzle we need to come through for us this year.  He has the physical tools and opportunity to make a giant leap this year and boy do we need it!  I think at this point, we know what we can expect out of the rest of pass rushers, but Travon's contributions this year will be huge and really season defining IMO. A lethal pass rush changes everything and can easily compensate for secondary deficiencies.  If the rest of the team performs as we expect, we GOT TO HAVE huge improvements from Travon if we want to achieve the goal this year.

Hope he's busting his butt this offseason and comes through huge, as we would expect from a #1 pick.  I think, in oversimplified terms, our season comes down to what he can do on the field this year.

Agree, bash, or indifference - your thoughts are welcomed!  Go Jags!!!

Welcome back to the board.  If time permits, please don't shy away from providing your input here.  The posters here are good, but there's always room for another good poster (I'll have to remember this post if we win it all and the bandwagon swells beyond recognition).

As for the substance of your post, while I would welcome any improvement from Walker, at this point, I think I have higher hopes for Devin Lloyd.  It would be nice if both became big play catalysts for this defense.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Carl Lawson may be available from the Jets due to their cap situation.

(05-12-2023, 06:23 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Carl Lawson may be available from the Jets due to their cap situation.

There seem to be a few pass rushers that may be of help-at least short term.

Lawson may be one of them, though somehow I am sensing we won't go after any of them right now.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We might wait until other teams cut players to find the right DE.

Yeah, so far the jags are not in a hurry to grab a player from free agency.

Only free agent that remotely intrest me atm is Yannick, but something tells me his ego wouldn't accept the contract he's worth nor would he want to be a backup/rotational player.

(05-09-2023, 04:34 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-08-2023, 08:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The defense nor anyone on it is the key. The key is Doug, then Trevor, then the offense, then the defense.

This. They added Ridley. They'll move Little to LT and they replaced Taylor with Harrison at RT. They added a legitimate H-Back that can flex out as a TE with the 61st pick and a legitimate #2 back (hopefully) with Bigsby with the 88th pick. In addition to adding a freak athlete in Parish that should be our FB. 

They clearly wanted to get bigger, faster and stronger coming out of the backfield this year and that was to balance out the passing game completely from last year. Which is something we lacked at times here and there.

Lawrence should be an MVP candidate year round now. I read somewhere that we scored a total of 92 points with our first possession. Regardless of 1st half or 2nd half. This put us pretty high up on the list in good company and we all remember a few games where the offense came out and stalled, barely, due to a dropped TD pass, a fumble or an INT on some of those opening opportunities within striking distance. 

This offense is poised to take a massive step forward in 2023. Should be right up there with Kansas City. It's a whole hell of a lot easier to play defense when your offense is scoring early and often and then controlling the flow of the game on the ground. Defensively they should be able to scheme more easily and effectively. 

I fully expect this defense to beat the piss out of our division this year. Fully expect it. Especially if any of these rookie QB's are thrusted into the opening line-up at any point in time within September. Which is a very, very real possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Not the key to the season but the key to the defense falls on Lloyd and Walker's development. I think both will improve a good bit in their 2nd season, if not it's likely we won't make it farther then we did last year. The goal is the SB but I want to atleast make the AFC championship which will be an improvement from last year. We need to continue to show improvement each year until we hold the Lombardi!

I think player development in general will make or break the team/defense. Its is basically impossible to acquire known high level talent in every position group.

The coaching staff has to be able to develop/scheme up good players at a few positions groups, or the scouts/front office have to have a strategy to find overlooked guys at a few position groups that don't require high round picks/high FA money.

Given the team has invested so much resources on offense, they are basically betting on those things happening on defense.

(05-13-2023, 01:19 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I think player development in general will make or break the team/defense. Its is basically impossible to acquire known high level talent in every position group.

The coaching staff has to be able to develop/scheme up good players at a few positions groups, or the scouts/front office have to have a strategy to find overlooked guys at a few position groups that don't require high round picks/high FA money.

Given the team has invested so much resources on offense, they are basically betting on those things happening on defense.

Agreed.

Second year player  development and a little rookie contribution are what this defense will need to improve.
Year 2 in the scheme - and that scheme starting to have a more consistent identity should could help out as well.
Fingers crossed.