Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Best hitter in Jaguars history?

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2023, 07:53 PM by OG-JAGFAN. Edited 2 times in total.)

We have had some thumpers in our past.  Big John Henderson, Stroud, Mike Peterson, Daryl Smith, but here is my boy:

He literally is just stopping full running RB's in their tracks.  He would be fined too often in today's game but Donovan Darius was a bad man.

https://youtu.be/LhifhacR0DI

https://youtu.be/Nr28r8o1ojI

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2023, 08:03 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

Cisco is starting to enter the convo. I think he lays a few more out this year and will likely get a fine or two

https://youtu.be/UyckNrTqGxE

https://youtu.be/kVhXvVDYV2w

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2023, 09:00 PM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-23-2023, 07:45 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: We have had some thumpers in our past.  Big John Henderson, Stroud, Mike Peterson, Daryl Smith, but here is my boy:

He literally is just stopping full running RB's in their tracks.  He would be fined too often in today's game but Donovan Darius was a bad man.

https://youtu.be/LhifhacR0DI

https://youtu.be/Nr28r8o1ojI

Darius wins this hands down to me.

Almost 20 years removed from his career, he's still registered the hardest and most hits in team history.  Some of my favorites from him...

1.  The MNF trucking of Bettis.  It was a mirror image of Steve Atwater's hit on Chiefs RB Christian Okoye.  Similar dynamics as far as physical dimensions of the players involved....similar results.

2.  The hit on then Jets' TE Kyle Brady in the 1998 playoff loss to the Jets.  My Bills fan buddy thought he KILLED Brady.

3.  The hit on LaDanian Tomlinson, 2003 season.  Another poster here recently referenced that hit.  That was an early game tone setter, and we didn't hear a peep out of Tomlinson the rest of the game.

4.  Vs. the Green Bay Packers, hit on WR Robert Ferguson, 2004.  Yes it was flagged and the cheeseheads were moralizing about it (conveniently forgetting Charles Martin, he of the Bounty towel against the Bears circa 1988).  DD was not known as a dirty player before this hit, and fortunately, except for whiny Packers fans, the rep didn't stick.  But if you ever wanted to see a pro wrestling clothesline in the NFL...this is it. (In the video montage above, it's at the very beginning if the video. It somehow got cut off, so you only see the second half of it...but man...what a hit!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2023, 09:45 PM by Jag88.)

Yep #20 gave you the one hitter quitter. But Cisco had some good ones in that first Chiefs game last year.

Seem to remember Kevin Hardy hitting pretty hard. But maybe im confusing that with tackling.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Darius was awesome.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(05-23-2023, 10:45 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Seem to remember Kevin Hardy hitting pretty hard. But maybe im confusing that with tackling.

While I'm pretty sure there is some overlap between the two attributes on some levvel, I saw Hardy as a sure tackler moreso than a hard hitter.

Of course, I say this with the comfort of having never been tackled by Hardy, so there's that caveat.

I am on the Darius train here. He was the sheriff and I do remember seeing good receivers get gator arms when he was bearing down on them.

I do have to give a nod to Shaq Quarterman hit on Henry last year. It was both timely and sweet.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(05-24-2023, 12:17 AM)Jag149 Wrote: I am on the Darius train here. He was the sheriff and I do remember seeing good receivers get gator arms when he was bearing down on them.

I do have to give a nod to Shaq Quarterman hit on Henry last year. It was both timely and sweet.

* Cool point bonus earned for the Quarterman hit reference.

Agreed completely!

Tim Tebow. I saw him hit a few bombs for the AA mets affiliate.

Gotta be DD although a special mention to Poz. He wasn’t with us that long but I recall some pretty physical hits while he was.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

DD and there's no close second. We will never see another like him, just because of the NFL rule changes. It's sad. I miss violent football.

(05-23-2023, 08:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Cisco is starting to enter the convo.  I think he lays a few more out this year and will likely get a fine or two

See that's the problem. A big hit don't mean dook if it costs you 15. Might as well not bother tackling at that rate.

You can be a big hitter without drawing flags.

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2023, 08:27 AM by Caldrac.)

Agreed. DD hit people like a double barreled shotgun. I remember one game in particular where he didn't actually have to hit anybody. It was impressive up in Minnesota.

I saw Randy Moss alligator arm a pass over the middle that was catchable and he opted not to reach for it for the catch because he saw #20 out of the corner of his eye.

That's how you know he's feared and respected as a hitter. When you have Hall of Fame caliber receivers saying "Hmmm, NOPE!" you know you're doing something right.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

One guy I just remembered as a hard hitter was former CB (that should have been a S) Dave Thomas.

He was a starter in the secondary in the early days and didn't appear to be a smooth athlete.

What makes him noteworthy to me is he actually got a good hit (meaning absolutely LEVLED) Jerry RIce in a preseason game, That was the one time in Rice's entire career I saw him get levled like that.

(05-24-2023, 11:06 AM)Bullseye Wrote: One guy I just remembered as a hard hitter was former CB (that should have been a S) Dave Thomas.

He was a starter in the secondary in the early days and didn't appear to be a smooth athlete.

What makes him noteworthy to me is he actually got a good hit (meaning absolutely LEVLED) Jerry RIce in a preseason game, That was the one time in Rice's entire career I saw him get levled like that.

He also makes a pretty good burger and chili.

Where's the Beef?!?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(05-24-2023, 01:07 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 11:06 AM)Bullseye Wrote: One guy I just remembered as a hard hitter was former CB (that should have been a S) Dave Thomas.

What makes him noteworthy to me is he actually got a good hit (meaning absolutely LEVLED) Jerry RIce in a preseason game,  That was the one time in Rice's entire career I saw him get leve Laughingled like that.

He also makes a pretty good burger and chili.

Where's the Beef?!?

I knew that was coming.  Laughing

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2023, 01:47 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 6 times in total.)

(05-24-2023, 08:15 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 08:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Cisco is starting to enter the convo.  I think he lays a few more out this year and will likely get a fine or two

See that's the problem. A big hit don't mean dook if it costs you 15. Might as well not bother tackling at that rate.

You can be a big hitter without drawing flags.

You can hit them with a pillow and get fined these days. When the defense sees someone get laid out they think twice about going across the middle or catching the ball in traffic. Sometimes there are fines for hits that don't draw a penalty

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2023, 05:26 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

CJ Henderson could lay the wood.  He reminds me of Steve Atwater.

(05-24-2023, 01:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 01:07 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: He also makes a pretty good burger and chili.

Where's the Beef?!?

I knew that was coming.  Laughing

You do get points for the reference. I remember that hit !
A new broom always sweeps clean.