Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Select the answer that best describes your position
Whatever it takes, I support it. Spend big, build big, play elsewhere for two years, just get a long term deal done to stay in Jax
I support a rebuild or new build as long as the team doesn't play home games elsewhere during the construction
I would like to see an overhaul in phases so the team can play in TIAA bank stad. throughout the process
Build a new one right next to the old one. Problem solved. I don't care if it's 400 mil more to the taxpayers.
If they play somewhere else for two years, I'm out as a fan.
If taxpayers pay more than 4 or 500 mil on a 900mil to 1.2 billion dollar rebuild - I can't support it.
Blank #2
Corn
[Show Results]

New Stadium Poll (Duval Residents)

I'll post a second poll for Jags fans outside the area shortly. 

Please select the answer that best describes your position.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm not in Duval, but just sharing similar experience as an Orange County resident. For government money, the revenue source matters. If you're funding it out of property taxes, voters are most sensitive. Gas taxes, voters are a little less sensitive, as long as you're not changing the rate. Sales taxes, a little less, again as long as you dont change the rate. Hotel taxes, heck, at that point the voters don't even care. Change the rate all you want, the voters don't care. I'm pretty sure most of the work on the Jacksonville stadium, to this point, has been funded with hotel taxes and lease payments by the team. Let me know if I have that wrong.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Do what it takes. If the stadium gets done the Jags will be here another 30 years. If it doesn't get done, they'll move. It's that simple.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Build a new one. I'd prefer it to be in Northern SJC, but southern Duval would be ok too. Just get it out of the wasteland of Tallyrand.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I don't think Duval County should solely be responsible for contributing. I think a tax increase should apply to all of Duval boarding counties -> St. John's, Nassau, Clay, and Baker counties.

(05-24-2023, 11:52 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I don't think Duval County should solely be responsible for contributing.  I think a tax increase should apply to all of Duval boarding counties -> St. John's, Nassau, Clay, and Baker counties.

No new taxes!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2023, 12:03 PM by Caldrac.)

I am in the "whatever it takes" camp. Provided they play on US soil and within a 2 hour transit time within season ticket holders reach for "home" games.

(05-24-2023, 11:52 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I don't think Duval County should solely be responsible for contributing.  I think a tax increase should apply to all of Duval boarding counties -> St. John's, Nassau, Clay, and Baker counties.

I am in agreement with this. It's the JACKSONVILLE Jaguars at the end of the day. I know the famous "Duval" chant has been coined now for years here but Jacksonville consists of five counties. Not just us here in Duval.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2023, 12:06 PM by Caldrac.)

(05-24-2023, 10:49 AM)mikesez Wrote: I'm not in Duval, but just sharing similar experience as an Orange County resident.  For government money, the revenue source matters.  If you're funding it out of property taxes, voters are most sensitive.  Gas taxes, voters are a little less sensitive, as long as you're not changing the rate.  Sales taxes, a little less, again as long as you dont change the rate.  Hotel taxes, heck, at that point the voters don't even care.  Change the rate all you want, the voters don't care.  I'm pretty sure most of the work on the Jacksonville stadium, to this point, has been funded with hotel taxes and lease payments by the team.  Let me know if I have that wrong.

I am fine with a slight bump in taxes, especially if it's spread out over all five counties in Jacksonville. 

Just give us a $100 voucher for Jaguars merchandise and a coupon book for local and national businesses and I'll call it square with the tax increase. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I can't believe you guys are happy to pay even more taxes.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-24-2023, 11:17 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Do what it takes. If the stadium gets done the Jags will be here another 30 years. If it doesn't get done, they'll move. It's that simple.

Agreed with one caveat:  The stadium has to be renovated properly-from initial design concept to actual construction to the actual lease.

Recently saw a video (can't remember where) that detailed all of the stadium construction happening around the league.

It seems a few teams have botched their stadiums and are not overly enthused with the results.

The Bears just had Soldier Field almost completely rebuilt (they kept those columns), but they will be leaving the downtown Chicago area to build a stadium in the suburbs.

When the Rams moved from L.A. to St. Louis in 1995, IIRC they played a year in Busch Stadium while the TWA dome was being built.  The construction was completed in 1996.  Before they moved to LA less than three decades later, the Rams voiced all kinds of concerns and complaints about the renamed Edward Jones dome.  St. Louis proposed a design for an open air stadium and the Rams turned it down.  The Rams moved back to Los Angeles.

The team formerly known as the Redskins opened their stadium in Landover, Md two years after we re-opened the Gator Bowl/Jacksonville Municipal stadium.  While I didn't follow it closely, I know there have been a long litany of complaints about the stadium over the years from capacity to location.  They have reduced the seating capacity (from about 80,000 seat capacity at it's 1997 opening to about 60k or so now.).  Based on the video I saw, Washington is looking to build a new stadium seating about 55,000 (approximating the capacity of old RFK stadium, where the Skins had all of their success under Joe Gibbs).

Bottom line is we can't afford to mess this up.  The Nattering nabobs can't drown out the sensible folk like they do here from time to time and we have to approve the stadium rebuiild.  But it MUST be executed properly or drag our feet on this, or Jacksonville will be back here before we know it-or worse.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(05-24-2023, 12:09 PM)Dimson Wrote: I can't believe you guys are happy to pay even more taxes.

The popular suggestions based on past negotiations are a .5 Cent increase in local sales tax and a hotel tax which affects tourists and not locals. 

I find neither difficult to swallow.

I seem to recall the State of Florida having a fund set up somewhere for new stadium construction for the sports teams.

I also remember Khan has repeatedly proven willing to contribute to the construction of stadium upgrades/things in the Shipyards area.

I also remember what this town was like before the Jaguars got here.  It wasn't pretty, folks.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2023, 12:31 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-24-2023, 12:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 12:09 PM)Dimson Wrote: I can't believe you guys are happy to pay even more taxes.

The popular suggestions based on past negotiations are a .5 Cent increase in local sales tax and a hotel tax which affects tourists and not locals. 

Exactly. That's why I wouldn't have an issue with it. It's not enough to move the needle for me. Especially in this current economy where I am getting gouged in more dire areas at the moment. 

Eating a barely noticeable sales tax to keep a team and owner here in my city that provides jobs, entertainment and a potential platform for further development with more job opportunities is a no brainer for me.

I don't think people realize how much an NFL team provides to a local area. It's not just concessions and alcohol sales during gameday. There's parking, there's advertising, there's social media teams, sales teams, equipment teams, boosters, trainers, travel agency, etc.

All of that is encompassed underneath the Jaguar umbrella. Not to mention the local charity stuff and community work these guys get involved in. It's a true privilege having an NFL team. This should not be taken lightly nor for granted. Especially in this market.

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2023, 12:36 PM by The Real Marty.)

I voted "I would like to see an overhaul in phases..." but I would have also been happy with "Whatever it takes..."

(05-24-2023, 12:28 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 12:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The popular suggestions based on past negotiations are a .5 Cent increase in local sales tax and a hotel tax which affects tourists and not locals. 

Exactly. That's why I wouldn't have an issue with it. It's not enough to move the needle for me. Especially in this current economy where I am getting gouged in more dire areas at the moment. 

Eating a barely noticeable sales tax to keep a team and owner here in my city that provides jobs, entertainment and a potential platform for further development with more job opportunities is a no brainer for me.

I don't think people realize how much an NFL team provides to a local area. It's not just concessions and alcohol sales during gameday. There's parking, there's advertising, there's social media teams, sales teams, equipment teams, boosters, trainers, travel agency, etc.

All of that is encompassed underneath the Jaguar umbrella. Not to mention the local charity stuff and community work these guys get involved in. It's a true privilege having an NFL team. This should not be taken lightly nor for granted. Especially in this market.

That's the tangible stuff, and it's important to point out, but to me, the main reason for having a team is because I want to have a team.  It's a quality of life issue for me.

If I'm not mistaken, Lamping has already stated that the stadium will be overhauled in phased to which it'll be worked on during the off season, away games and between home games. The structure of the stadium has been evaluated and given the green light for the overhaul.

I definately don't want our team to relocate for any time frame especially to an local college. It's been said that it could be done w/o interfering w/the game process.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(05-24-2023, 12:44 PM)NH3 Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, Lamping has already stated that the stadium will be overhauled in phased to which it'll be worked on during the off season, away games and between home games. The structure of the stadium has been evaluated and given the green light for the overhaul.

I definately don't want our team to relocate for any time frame especially to an local college. It's been said that it could be done w/o interfering w/the game process.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

This would be the best possible outcome for all parties involved. I hope it's the ultimate route that they go with.

(05-24-2023, 12:44 PM)NH3 Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, Lamping has already stated that the stadium will be overhauled in phased to which it'll be worked on during the off season, away games and between home games. The structure of the stadium has been evaluated and given the green light for the overhaul.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

This was a potential solution that was floated at last season's "state of the jaguars" presser.
It is still a possibility, but...

No design has been actually chosen
There are many other avenues this may take. 
When ownership and city finally agree on something they must then gain approval from the league and the owners roundtable.

Then and only then will we have a plan in place and know the short term and long term fate of the team. 

Personally I feel fine about it.
Khan is invested in Jacksonville and has sworn unwavering support. City leadership knows the Jags are good for the city and its development.

They are going to work hard to find a win-win out of this.

I'm not a half-measure type of guy. If doing it right means playing elsewhere for two years, that's fine. Elsewhere being London would be hard to swallow regardless of whatever agreement is in place. Agreements can be broken and the immediate value increase of being located in London would likely more than offset whatever costs would be involved in breaching the agreement with the city. Elsewhere being Orlando is really the only thing that makes sense if there are no ulterior motives at play as many will make the trip down and they can further cultivate the central florida market at the same time.

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2023, 01:15 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 3 times in total.)

Whatever is more cost-effective. If a new stadium only costs 1 - 3% more than the renovation, then build it. Otherwise, I'd renovate in stages. The bones are still good.

However, trying to get other counties in the metro area to pay via taxes is going to be roughly equivalent to getting Mexico to pay for the wall.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(05-24-2023, 01:13 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Whatever is more cost-effective.  If a new stadium only costs 1 - 3% more than the renovation, then build it.  Otherwise, I'd renovate in stages.  The bones are still good.

However, trying to get other counties in the metro area to pay via taxes is going to be roughly equivalent to getting Mexico to pay for the wall.

These are just ball park figures based on other recent stadium reno's and builds, but it seems there's about a 400 mil gap between starting fresh and keeping the old bones. for a massive overhaul + roof

(Renov. = 8-900mil. - new build - 1.2-.1.3 billion)