Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Select response that best describes your position
I just want the Jags to stay in Jax long term. I support any solution that solves that issue.
I don't care if they are the Jax Jags, the London Jags, or relocate to Oklahoma City. I'll fan from afar all the same.
I'd like to see something fair happen for local taxpayers that keeps the team in place post construction.
I'd like to see something fair happen for local taxpayers that keeps the team in place during construction and post construction.
I hope they have to play in a nearby city for two years so they'll be closer to me
They'll figure it out. Not concerned.
Blank #2
Corn
[Show Results]

New Stadium Poll (Out Of Area Fans)

select best response if you're a Jags fan not residing in Duval county

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No new taxes.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Out-of-towner who grew up in Jacksonville, left, moved back to Jacksonville for some time, and left again. I consider Jacksonville my home away from home, and I want to see the Jags in Jacksonville until the end of time.

I chose fair to tax payers but keeps them in Jax during and post because ideally that's what I'd like for you guys. But truthfully I don't care as long as they stay put long term.

For someone who lives in NY I honestly have zero sympathy if you have to pay some extra taxes to keep them, I just want them to stay the Jacksonville Jags.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(05-24-2023, 12:38 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I chose fair to tax payers but keeps them in Jax during and post because ideally that's what I'd like for you guys. But truthfully I don't  care as long as they stay put long term.

For someone who lives in NY I honestly have zero sympathy if you have to pay some extra taxes to keep them, I just want them to stay the Jacksonville Jags.

Why would you want people to pay more taxes?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-24-2023, 12:51 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 12:38 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I chose fair to tax payers but keeps them in Jax during and post because ideally that's what I'd like for you guys. But truthfully I don't  care as long as they stay put long term.

If you had to choose between a half cent sales tax, and the team not being here, which would you choose?  

a) Half cent sales tax and team stays here for good.
b) No new taxes and the team moves to London. 

Pick one.

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2023, 12:56 PM by Caldrac.)

Out of state, out of mind. Doesn't come out of his pockets directly. Makes sense. He's also in New York. They have the highest overall tax burden in the country. It's close to 13% in total I believe.

(05-24-2023, 12:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 12:51 PM)Dimson Wrote: Why would you want people to pay more taxes?

If you had to choose between a half cent sales tax, and the team not being here, which would you choose?  

Pick one.

Precisely.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-24-2023, 12:55 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 12:51 PM)Dimson Wrote: Why would you want people to pay more taxes?

Out of state, out of mind. Doesn't come out of his pockets directly. Makes sense. He's also in New York. They have the highest overall tax burden in the country. It's close to 13% in total I believe.

(05-24-2023, 12:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: If you had to choose between a half cent sales tax, and the team not being here, which would you choose?  

Pick one.

Precisely.

Exactly. I don't WANT you guys to pay more taxes. I mentioned that ideally I don't want you to pay any more. But if you end up having to pay a little more, my sympathy meter is pretty low. Plus I'm paying for Buffalo's new stadium and I don't even like them.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(05-24-2023, 12:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Pick one.

There's more to consider.

Without the expenditures to renovate the stadium, Florida-Georgia becomes at risk.

I seem to recall Georgia floating the idea of making it a home and home, on campus series instead of the neutral site game it has been.

Without the Jaguars/Florida-Georgia as a draw, what incentive would businesses like the Four Seasons hotel have to build here?

Does the riverfront have any hope of being developed without the Jaguars' presence?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

As a former resident, I remember the last half cent increase that built the arena. I supported it because you saw the outcomes. Taxes are a helluva drug for political types.

Here in Dallas area everyone foolishly raises their school tax rates to build 75 Million High School Stadiums. I hope the best for the Duval faithful.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I’ll give someone half a cent if they don’t want to pay their share.

Do what they gotta do to keep the Jags in Jacksonville. How can there even be another option?

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2023, 02:44 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

I guess it may not be popular, but I think it would be really interesting to see the jags at the swamp. I’m not sure how realistic that would be, but maybe the jags would gain some gator fans and some of those college students as potential new fans. Also, it’s a short drive from Jacksonville. I’ve done that drive plenty of times.

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2023, 06:19 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-25-2023, 02:43 AM)Jag88 Wrote: I guess it may not be popular, but I think it would be really interesting to see the jags at the swamp. I’m not sure how realistic that would be, but maybe the jags would gain some gator fans and some of those college students as potential new fans. Also, it’s a short drive from Jacksonville. I’ve done that drive plenty of times.

As a buddy of mine pointed out, it sounds like a good plan until 50,000 fans and their cars cram onto 301. It would be alleviated by the bypass built around Starke but it’s still a lot of traffic for that road.

Why would you want your city to become Akron?

Nobody goes there because they WANT to; they go there because they HAVE to. If you lose the team, the city will slowly deteriorate as all the revenue streams that the team brought with it wither and die. You won't get a second chance like Cleveland or Houston did.

I voted for the middle option, keeping the team in place during and post-build.

I think it's far too risky a prospect to let the franchise see just how green the grass may be on the other side of the fence. I don't see London as a season-long solution, but if the team plays for a few years in Orlando and sees better attendance/support, Duval will be fighting uphill to try and convince the team to stay in place. I get that we would seek to have a long-term deal that keeps the team there, but we've always faced the out clauses linked with revenue. Would the city continue to support the team if they regressed back to their losing ways again? What if Lamping's challenge to the community/nearby businesses goes unanswered?

Having a shieldball franchise is like holding onto a winning lotto ticket - they're very hard to come by, so you do what you can to keep it once it's in your hands. If you lose it, good luck getting another one.

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2023, 08:58 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

uh, to keep the team in Jacksonville.   I kind of think the answer was obvious.

(05-25-2023, 08:23 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Nobody goes there because they WANT to; they go there because they HAVE to. If you lose the team, the city will slowly deteriorate as all the revenue streams that the team brought with it wither and die. You won't get a second chance like Cleveland or Houston did.

We'd be very similar to Charleston, even so far as to be in the USL (2nd tier soccer league), which Jacksonville is entering in 2025.

(05-25-2023, 08:23 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Do I want the jags here?  Absolutely!!!! However, I call BS on that statement. This town is going to continue to expand whether of not the Jags are here.  A number of reasons are driving this.  Just one is our port and completion of the expanded canal.  We will eventually be one of the largest ports on the East Coast. (95 and 10 intersection.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(05-25-2023, 09:24 AM)Jag149 Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 08:23 AM)Mikey Wrote: Why would you want your city to become Akron?

Do I want the jags here?  Absolutely!!!! However, I call BS on that statement. This town is going to continue to expand whether of not the Jags are here.  A number of reasons are driving this.  Just one is our port and completion of the expanded canal.  We will eventually be one of the largest ports on the East Coast. (95 and 10 intersection.

Silly me, I forgot that container ships bring in so many tourists.

(05-25-2023, 09:24 AM)Jag149 Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 08:23 AM)Mikey Wrote: Why would you want your city to become Akron?

Wouldn't you rather have a significant port  AND  billions of dollars of positive impact + 100,000 created jobs from the team and its footprint?