Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We should remove "Fragile" Fred from the annals of history

Ok Im surprised this hasn't been posted yet. 

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/08/31/fred-ta...r-injuries

Dude Played with a fractured clavicle and 2 partially torn labrum. Crazy...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Gladiator combat but they are suppose to make the decisions for themselves.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2016, 11:27 PM by ThunderCat.)

I never called him that. I was at the game when he tore the ham off the bone. That didn't look fun to me. Not sure who or why he got the nick name. I love Fred and it's a shame he was robbed of pro bowls and robbed by his agent. Now to get denied benefits is a slap in the face. The NFL is the devil.

I'll admit it ticked me off.  I just had a hard time imagining why you'd drop the ball to grab your leg.  Once I found out the extent of the injury, I understood... but I was mad at that moment in the game.  He's my favorite Jag of all time, though.

Dude is a top 15 all-time RB, there is nothing fragile about that.

Quote:I never called him that. I was at the game when he tore the ham off the bone. That didn't look fun to me. Not sure who or why he got the nick name. I love Fred and it's a shame he was robbed of pro bowls and robbed by his agent. Now to get denied benefits is a slap in the face. The NFL is the devil.

Frangie I believe

Quote:Dude is a top 15 all-time RB, there is nothing fragile about that.

He is now 16th Sad 

That said 13 seasons and 2,534 carries is not fragile.  He averaged 4.6 yards per carry as well.

The Khan Years

Quote:Frangie I believe

I thought it was David Lamm

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2016, 06:17 AM by Go_jags3228.)

I could be wrong but isnt he the all time ypc leader?

He was a tough player, he did have some major injuries early in the career that had some people slapping him with an unfair nickname.

As far as his current situation, I think doctors should be straight with the players and not mislead them BUT players claim to know the consequences of playing and (along with the short careers) are the arguments the player's union uses to justify the high salaries.  As a player, I think you should understand and accept the fact that you might have some lingering medical issues later in life.  With that said, the league and the doctors should do everything they can to minimize those and provide assistance if there are more than minor concerns.  Sounds like they may not be doing that for Freddie (never even heard of the line of duty benefit).

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

David Lamm was the main guy that came up with the fragile Fred nickname
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:David Lamm was the main guy that came up with the fragile Fred nickname

I don't like Lamm at all anyway. And this only deepens that

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:He was a tough player, he did have some major injuries early in the career that had some people slapping him with an unfair nickname.

As far as his current situation, I think doctors should be straight with the players and not mislead them BUT players claim to know the consequences of playing and (along with the short careers) are the arguments the player's union uses to justify the high salaries.
 As a player, I think you should understand and accept the fact that you might have some lingering medical issues later in life.  With that said, the league and the doctors should do everything they can to minimize those and provide assistance if there are more than minor concerns.  Sounds like they may not be doing that for Freddie (never even heard of the line of duty benefit).

It was my impression that the NFLPA used the Total Revenue by the League to justify and determine the player's salaries, not the short career and consequences. And is it really a fair / just / good thing to assume that a 20 year old is going to be able to properly assess the risk associated with a playing career? This, on top of the fact that a professional gave advice that was contrary to the patients well-being.

All in all, the system needs shoring up at the least and a complete overhaul at most. The medical professionals employed by the League need to be independent of, and answerable to their patients only. Not the owners or League who are simply financially bound to the players.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Frangie I believe

He's one to talk with all the nick names I hear about him.

I can see one team having doctors like that......but he left the Jags for the Pats and they looked him over and he passed a physical. You would think the labrums and clavicle would have been caught there in the physical(even tho they were mostly checking out his legs, by that point in time he had the nick fragile fred...so you think they woulda done a once over lol. My little brother had a broken clavicle and it healed incorrectly.....and you can tell just looking at him w shirt off, his clavicle is [BLEEP] over for life. Fred is one of my all-time favorite players, and if this is true...then I feel bad for the guy. Its just that I have a hard time seeing this.

Quote:It was my impression that the NFLPA used the Total Revenue by the League to justify and determine the player's salaries, not the short career and consequences. And is it really a fair / just / good thing to assume that a 20 year old is going to be able to properly assess the risk associated with a playing career? This, on top of the fact that a professional gave advice that was contrary to the patients well-being.

All in all, the system needs shoring up at the least and a complete overhaul at most. The medical professionals employed by the League need to be independent of, and answerable to their patients only. Not the owners or League who are simply financially bound to the players.

The revenues are what they use to determine the actual amounts and salary structures true, but the commentary around high salaries in a general sense is almost always around the risks and career longevity.  Players generally say they understand the risks and they're adults, so you have to take them at their word.  I do agree that if the doctor's have a conflict of interest, that's an issue and it needs to be addressed.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:I could be wrong but isnt he the all time ypc leader?
He isn't.  The last few seasons drove down his ypc under 5.  http://www.pro-football-reference.com/le...career.htm

The QBs are at the top but Jaamal Charles (Rushing Attempts 1,320) is leading the list at 5.5 for running backs.  I doubt he will keep that pace as he ages.  Jim Brown (Rushing attempts 2,359) was a great at 5.2 and is a gold standard.

The Khan Years

Ok, I love Fred Taylor. He is by far one of my favorite Jags, but no way in hell you don't know the pain of a torn labrum. My recent surgery repaired a partial tear to my labrum and my shoulder felt like it was coming out of the socket every time I moved a certain way, not to mention the pain. The labrum is one of the things that helps keep your shoulder stable. Your shoulder doesn't feel fatigued, it feels like it's slipping in and out of the socket which is painful as all get out.

I also had a hole drilled into my acromion which is at the end of the clavicle. They essentially partially fractured it to get a bone spur out. There is no way in hell you don't feel the pain of that either.  I mean, you can't even move your arm/shoulder right when you have a fractured clavicle. And your bones grate against each other. No way you don't feel that. 

Either Fred has a super high tolerance for pain, which is possible; was on pain meds a lot to deal with the pain of other injuries we know he had so he didn't feel these; or someone is not being honest.

Quote:Ok, I love Fred Taylor. He is by far one of my favorite Jags, but no way in hell you don't know the pain of a torn labrum. My recent surgery repaired a partial tear to my labrum and my shoulder felt like it was coming out of the socket every time I moved a certain way, not to mention the pain. The labrum is one of the things that helps keep your shoulder stable. Your shoulder doesn't feel fatigued, it feels like it's slipping in and out of the socket which is painful as all get out.

I also had a hole drilled into my acromion which is at the end of the clavicle. They essentially partially fractured it to get a bone spur out. There is no way in hell you don't feel the pain of that either. I mean, you can't even move your arm/shoulder right when you have a fractured clavicle. And your bones grate against each other. No way you don't feel that.

Either Fred has a super high tolerance for pain, which is possible; was on pain meds a lot to deal with the pain of other injuries we know he had so he didn't feel these; or someone is not being honest.

Or he is simply a helluva lot tougher than you. Likely.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Quote:Or he is simply a helluva lot tougher than you. Likely.

Or hes lying...