Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tony Wiggins interviews Travon Walker.

I am curious if he will continue to lineup outside as a LB or convert more to DL. 

https://youtu.be/rm4T-z-vy3g

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think it depends on what the newcomers can do and how fast they develop. Like if Abdullah can actually bring the heat, then just move Walker down to DE and let him spy QB's and rush the passer there, also stuff the run which was something he was somewhat decent at on the edge.

Move him inside

Go back to a traditional 4/3 and have him play DE full time.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-04-2023, 12:09 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Move him inside

(06-05-2023, 09:17 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Go back to a traditional 4/3 and have him play DE full time.

Agreed with you both. He's a more natural fit there. Gives him the opportunity to just use his raw, god given strength and then create more plays against the run and pass. We'll see what happens this summer I guess.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I like him at OLB and think his best way to get to the QBs is via blitzing schemes. He has talent but just lacks the great moves that the really good DEs have that result in a high number of sacks. Use him the way the Steelers used Greg Lloyd and the Giants used Lawrence Taylor.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2023, 09:49 AM by Caldrac.)

(06-05-2023, 09:39 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I like him at OLB and think his best way to get to the QBs is via blitzing schemes.  He has talent but just lacks the great moves that the really good DEs have that result in a high number of sacks.  Use him the way the Steelers used Greg Lloyd and the Giants used Lawrence Taylor.

Really? I think it's the other way around. BECAUSE he lacks great moves you would want him to actually be closer to the line of scrimmage to:

A. Shorten his overall distance from snap to QB.
B. Enable him to use his strength in a phone booth situation against an engaging blocker. 

At some point he'll command double teams on his side which would enable a more natural, lighter OLB to knife through the gaps or around the tackle. When I watched him at times last year, he was overthinking his responsibilities standing upright. He's talented for sure. I just feel like Caldwell played him out of position and it was very, very evident that he was a lot more comfortable with his hands in the dirt in some of our best overall games on defense.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

It will be fun to watch his potential progression this season.

(06-05-2023, 12:27 PM)Jag88 Wrote: It will be fun to watch his potential progression this season.

I agree.  It feels like a good portion of the fanbase is ready to call him a bust.  At least it felt that way around here at the end of last season.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2023, 01:22 PM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(06-05-2023, 01:13 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(06-05-2023, 12:27 PM)Jag88 Wrote: It will be fun to watch his potential progression this season.

I agree.  It feels like a good portion of the fanbase is ready to call him a bust.  At least it felt that way around here at the end of last season.

I put it on Caldwell. I felt like the whole year he was playing him out of position along with Lloyd. I don't think Lloyd should be an inside backer. I think he's more of a weakside or strongside type where you let him cover one half of the field or stay in a man-to-man coverage position on a TE/RB and you try to find ways to effectively blitz him off the edge. I know Caldwell very recently said he's not going to engage an OT off the edge. 

Yeah, no [BLEEP], it's YOUR JOB to get him sprung free scheme wise though with his god given speed for his size and let him run stunts inside while a big man like Allen or Walker is bull rushing the hell out of an OT to free him up. That was my biggest concern and call out around the draft day thread when they selected Walker over Hutchinson. Most of us understood the upside argument but my concern was how would they use him. They played him as an OLB and he struggled off and on. When they gave in and played him closer and tighter to the line of scrimmage though? He flashed a lot more big play opportunities.

Have to put your aces in their places in this league man. You can't afford to keep experimenting and gambling for too long with top tier talent. If they thrive in one particular area? Let them do it. Would I like to see Walker line up everywhere like a TJ Watt type? Absolutely. Is he capable of that? Absolutely. Can Caldwell and this coaching staff unlock that ability? No clue. I just hope we see tremendous improvement and strides made from him and Lloyd this year early and often. Especially in a division where we may very well have at least one or two games against rookie QB's.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2023, 01:20 PM by OG-JAGFAN. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-05-2023, 09:17 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Go back to a traditional 4/3 and have him play DE full time.

Agreed. I would even throw him at DT on some pass rushing downs.

I don't think there's any way we don't see Travon Walker move inside to 3-4 end more this season, but I am also firmly in the camp of not giving up on him playing OLB.

He's a freak athlete who is very raw as a pass rusher. Dude could still learn an arsenal of moves that allow him to get to the QB from the edge.
I would not close the book on it just yet.

(and yes, he'd probably flourish as a 4-3 DE as many of us have said for a long time, but that is clearly not happening this year under Caldwell.)

He’s 43 DT and a 34 End. They drafted him #1 overall and thought they was going to stick him out there at OLB and he was gonna get them 15 sacks a season. That ain’t hatt’n

Put him in a 3 point stance, working the a,b,c gap(s) and let Abdullah and Allen rush from the edges. Walker needs to be down in there with them big boys.

(06-05-2023, 02:11 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: He’s 43 DT and a 34 End. They drafted him #1 overall and thought they was going to stick him out there at OLB and he was gonna get them 15 sacks a season. That ain’t hatt’n

Put him in a 3 point stance, working the a,b,c gap(s) and let Abdullah and Allen rush from the edges. Walker needs to be down in there with them big boys.

I think he would be awesome as a 3 tech.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(06-05-2023, 02:11 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: He’s 43 DT and a 34 End. They drafted him #1 overall and thought they was going to stick him out there at OLB and he was gonna get them 15 sacks a season. That ain’t hatt’n

Walker isn't big enough for that

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2023, 04:03 AM by wg171. Edited 3 times in total.)

(06-05-2023, 09:37 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 12:09 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Move him inside

Agreed with you both. He's a more natural fit there. Gives him the opportunity to just use his raw, god given strength and then create more plays against the run and pass. We'll see what happens this summer I guess.

Agree with all three of you guys.

(06-05-2023, 01:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't think there's any way we don't see Travon Walker move inside to 3-4 end more this season, but I am also firmly in the camp of not giving up on him playing OLB.

He's a freak athlete who is very raw as a pass rusher. Dude could still learn an arsenal of moves that allow him to get to the QB from the edge.
I would not close the book on it just yet.

(and yes, he'd probably flourish as a 4-3 DE as many of us have said for a long time, but that is clearly not happening this year under Caldwell.)

Agreed. Not happening under Caldwell.

I’m by no means sold on Caldwell.

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2023, 06:06 AM by JaguarJosh2.)

(06-05-2023, 01:13 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:

It doesn't help given our track record with first round pass rushers.  Much less first overall picks...  he NEEDS to be an all pro caliber player.

(06-05-2023, 06:17 PM)Dimson Wrote:

I think he would be awesome as a 3 tech.

He isn't an Aaron Donald.  I do think his perfect fit is a 4-3 DE though,  which we aren't going to be playing this season.  I hope we fire Caldwell after this season and find a real defense.  I feel that will be our achilles heel.  Stopping Burrow/Mahomes is going to be tough for any defense though.