Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
JOSH ALLEN skipping OTA!

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2023, 07:59 PM by OG-JAGFAN. Edited 3 times in total.)

I have no doubt a new contract plays a major role in this. Allen is not an Alpha pass Rusher. If he is asking near a 9 figure deal I would let him walk. Allen is a solid football that is overhyped on this board. He had that great 2017 year but has been pretty average since then. Allen will get pressure but rarely finish. He is Averaging below 7 sacks a year for his career.

Some will say sacks are not everything but I call that statement complete crap. In today's NFL pressures are not good enough. Look how many times just last year, we saw a QB escape pressure to make a huge play down field or with their legs? Sacks kill the play and kill momentum. Sacks mean so much more than pressures.

So Allen in 4 years is Averaging less than 7 sacks per season. His best season was way back in 2017. Allen needs a big guy on the other side because he is not an Alpha rusher. How much is a fair deal for him?

My Max is 5 years $60 million with incentives sprinkled in. Josh Allen is a solid football player but hesitate to call good. Far from elite.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He’s overhyped on this board?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

He's been solid but not even close to an ALL Pro, I think he gets traded by the deadline unless he gets major production early in the season. I like him though, he's a very good character guy and has been through a lot as a Jag, I hope he turns the corner and we sign him to a long term deal.

(05-31-2023, 08:15 PM)RicoTx Wrote: He’s overhyped on this board?

Yea some claim him to be a monster because he gets pressures.

I don’t think he’ll be back next year. We need the cap space for better players..Trevor, of course, but also Campbell.

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2023, 08:42 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(05-31-2023, 08:31 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:

Not so much here.  The general consensus around here is probably in line with your original post.  Hopefully he comes out like gangbusters this year though.

Yea some claim him to be a monster because he gets pressures

A "monster?' 

I don't think anyone has called him that since his rookie year.

I must be reading a different board.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

What is he doing that will help him get better instead of attending OTAs? If he is learning, great but if he isn't he is just risking injury away from the team or sitting at home doing nothing. Skipping them isn't going to get him a contract unless he is improving.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(05-31-2023, 10:17 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-31-2023, 08:31 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: Yea some claim him to be a monster because he gets pressures.

I must be reading a different board.

Check out his Join Date, the problem becomes clear.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Well josh hasn’t had much help if you consider that the jags traded away most of the defense in a rebuild not too long ago. Hopefully this defense is better in 2023.

I mean it is the same defense and coordinator as last year.
It is most of the same players and DL unit as last year.
He is basically a veteran now at the end of his rookie deal.

Isn't skipping the OTA's part of what is allowable per the CBA? Why is everyone jumping to him being lazy or pissed about the contract or not good at his job?

I'm pretty sure if most of the people on this board would do the same thing if they were told by their job they had the option of coming to some extra work events but they would not get extra money for coming to those events.

It's not like coming to OTA's will net him a big next contract. The only way he will do that is by playing really well this year and finally getting double digit sacks.

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2023, 05:47 AM by wg171. Edited 1 time in total.)

Imho not trading him for Kansas City’s first round selection was a mistake. I “think” the Chiefs were offering it at the trading deadline last year.

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2023, 06:53 AM by JaguarJosh2.)

If he shows up to earn his new contract, I couldn't care less about him missing OTA's. However, it looks bad as a team captain from last season though. Hoping there is no drama/locker room effect. He isn't an elite rusher/player by any means.

Meh, let me know when he's skipping anything mandatory and then I'll be somewhat concerned. Pretty sure Engram isn't at OTAs either.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Yes, it’s much about nothing at this point.

(05-31-2023, 08:24 PM)MojoKing Wrote: He's been solid but not even close to an ALL Pro, I think he gets traded by the deadline unless he gets major production early in the season. I like him though, he's a very good character guy and has been through a lot as a Jag, I hope he turns the corner and we sign him to a long term deal.

His agent is pressing this strategy. They hope the front office will cave to a new deal out of preseason fear and forget that he's not an elite pass rusher.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(06-01-2023, 07:30 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(05-31-2023, 08:24 PM)MojoKing Wrote: He's been solid but not even close to an ALL Pro, I think he gets traded by the deadline unless he gets major production early in the season. I like him though, he's a very good character guy and has been through a lot as a Jag, I hope he turns the corner and we sign him to a long term deal.

His agent is pressing this strategy. They hope the front office will cave to a new deal out of preseason fear and forget that he's not an elite pass rusher.

What strategy?  Threatening to do what he should have done the previous years?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Nothing new here he does this every off season... Why people on here looking for [BLEEP] to [BLEEP] about...jeez. He don't produce he is gone.

Doesn't help the culture they built upon last year but it is what it is. Hope he shows up ready to go and has his best statistical season since his rookie year. Won't waste much time reading further into his decision.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."