Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
JOSH ALLEN skipping OTA!

If he doesn't show up for camp in shape, prepped and ready to go, or he starts talking trash about getting paid, I'll be concerned.

Until then, it's voluntary activity season.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-01-2023, 10:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: If he doesn't show up for camp in shape, prepped and ready to go, or he starts talking trash about getting paid, I'll be concerned.

And Allen doesn't strike me as a guy who would do that.

(06-01-2023, 10:29 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-01-2023, 10:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: If he doesn't show up for camp in shape, prepped and ready to go, or he starts talking trash about getting paid, I'll be concerned.

And Allen doesn't strike me as a guy who would do that.

He's not the type of guy for sure. He'll show up ready to go. It may very well be his last season here as a Jaguar. I hope he makes it his best and I hope it helps us in winning a Superbowl.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-31-2023, 08:31 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:
(05-31-2023, 08:15 PM)RicoTx Wrote: He’s overhyped on this board?

Yea some claim him to be a monster because he gets pressures.

I wouldn't refer to him as a "monster", although I'm probably a bigger supporter of him than most on here.  Saying he averages less than 7 sacks per season is a little misleading because this average is being brought down by one season where he missed half of the season with injury and wasn't fully healthy in the half that he did play.  If you take out his one injury plagued season, he averages over 8 sacks per season.  He's a 7 to 10.5 sack guy.  

Going further, I believe if you have competent players behind him, he's closer to the 10.5 sack guy.  He was 7th in the NFL in pressures last year.  The question becomes sacks.  However, if you look at it, he got sacks at a fine rate as long as Darius Williams or even Shaq Griffin were playing cornerback opposite Tyson Campbell.  If you pro-rate those games, he finishes with over 10 sacks last year.  The issue was that Josh Allen's sacks nose-dived when Tre Herndon or some other incompetent was playing outside cornerback. Allen still got pressure, just not sacks.  If you think about it, it's very hard to get a sack when a receiver is sitting wide open.  When the pressure comes, the qb will just throw it to the open player.  

Obviously, it needs to be a fair deal, but I support resigning Josh Allen now.  Assuming they don't get injured, a full year with Campbell and Williams as outside cornerbacks likely means that Josh Allen has a good year in terms of sacks.  I could easily see him returning to 10+ sacks.  Let's resign him before his price goes up.

(06-01-2023, 12:04 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(05-31-2023, 08:31 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: Yea some claim him to be a monster because he gets pressures.

I wouldn't refer to him as a "monster", although I'm probably a bigger supporter of him than most on here.  Saying he averages less than 7 sacks per season is a little misleading because this average is being brought down by one season where he missed half of the season with injury and wasn't fully healthy in the half that he did play.  If you take out his one injury plagued season, he averages over 8 sacks per season.  He's a 7 to 10.5 sack guy.  

Going further, I believe if you have competent players behind him, he's closer to the 10.5 sack guy.  He was 7th in the NFL in pressures last year.  The question becomes sacks.  However, if you look at it, he got sacks at a fine rate as long as Darius Williams or even Shaq Griffin were playing cornerback opposite Tyson Campbell.  If you pro-rate those games, he finishes with over 10 sacks last year.  The issue was that Josh Allen's sacks nose-dived when Tre Herndon or some other incompetent was playing outside cornerback. Allen still got pressure, just not sacks.  If you think about it, it's very hard to get a sack when a receiver is sitting wide open.  When the pressure comes, the qb will just throw it to the open player.  

Obviously, it needs to be a fair deal, but I support resigning Josh Allen now.  Assuming they don't get injured, a full year with Campbell and Williams as outside cornerbacks likely means that Josh Allen has a good year in terms of sacks.  I could easily see him returning to 10+ sacks.  Let's resign him before his price goes up.

I'm in this same boat. I would have signed him months ago
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2023, 04:36 PM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-01-2023, 03:10 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(06-01-2023, 12:04 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I wouldn't refer to him as a "monster", although I'm probably a bigger supporter of him than most on here.  Saying he averages less than 7 sacks per season is a little misleading because this average is being brought down by one season where he missed half of the season with injury and wasn't fully healthy in the half that he did play.  If you take out his one injury plagued season, he averages over 8 sacks per season.  He's a 7 to 10.5 sack guy.  

I'm in this same boat. I would have signed him months ago

I am sure from the feedback on him from management he could have gotten a new deal this off season. What we don't know is if there was an offer made. If there was one made I doubt the Jags would have said anything, leaving that up to Josh. So if one was, it wasn't acceptable and he preferred to play on 10 million fifth year option this year. I see it this way 10 million a year puts him in the top 5 or 6 of all LB's. The drop off from there is 8 million...I know a lot of if's....
A new broom always sweeps clean.

He does not need training camp and is probably working his tail off in preparation for the upcoming season.

The youngsters will benefit most by getting the added reps.

I’m looking forward to seeing the competition at the OLB position.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

He still dosen't feel like the kinda player I would be upset to see leave, could change maybe but for the time being I don't see him ever being a superstar edge threat. Would love for him to prove me wrong tho.

Fred used to skip the voluntary stuff all the time. The one I’m worried about is Engram. Allen can hold out all he wants but the production just wasn’t there.

I’m good with Abdullah taking snaps with the 1’s for now.

(06-01-2023, 11:12 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Fred used to skip the voluntary stuff all the time. The one I’m worried about is Engram. Allen can hold out all he wants but the production just wasn’t there.

I’m good with Abdullah taking snaps with the 1’s for now.

Engram isn't even on the roster at this point. He's got less incentive to do the voluntary stuff then the guys under contract, so I don't care a bit that he's not here.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

https://twitter.com/JoshAllen41_/status/...86056?s=20

He just retweeted his own tweet from 2020. I know he'll be ready to go.

What is OTAI

(06-05-2023, 12:52 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: What is OTAI

Organized Team Activities Involuntary
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(06-02-2023, 11:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/JoshAllen41_/status/...86056?s=20

He just retweeted his own tweet from 2020. I know he'll be ready to go.

Fans are Glad he is a jag.

I saw something on the tube a few days ago saying based on Allen’s production since he was drafted, his value is higher than what his contract is calling for which would explain his holdout.

It was around $5M difference.

Another day gone by that Engram is not currently a Jaguar. Still hasn’t signed the tag. I don’t think he will sign it. His value has never been as high as it is now. He broke all the Jaguar single season tight end records, we just come off a playoff season. There’s no proven tight ends on the roster behind him. If I was Engram I would holdout for a long term contract too. It ain’t my fault they can’t manage money. They gotta pay me big son.

(06-05-2023, 01:06 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(06-05-2023, 12:52 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: What is OTAI

Organized Team Activities Involuntary

Thanks !!  I actually googled the acronym earlier and could not find it as it applies to the NFL --- just kept giving me a player named peter otai

(06-05-2023, 02:20 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I saw something on the tube a few days ago saying based on Allen’s production since he was drafted, his value is higher than what his contract is calling for which would explain his holdout.

Another day gone by that Engram is not currently a Jaguar. Still hasn’t signed the tag. I don’t think he will sign it. His value has never been as high as it is now. He broke all the Jaguar single season tight end records, we just come off a playoff season. There’s no proven tight ends on the roster behind him. If I was Engram I would holdout for a long term contract too. It ain’t my fault they can’t manage money. They gotta pay me big son.

He is not holding out. 

He skipped voluntary OTAs. 

If he doesn't show on June 12 - start up the "holdout" talk.

(06-05-2023, 02:20 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I saw something on the tube a few days ago saying based on Allen’s production since he was drafted, his value is higher than what his contract is calling for which would explain his holdout.

Interesting take as he is not currently holding out as all workouts have been voluntary so far. So how again is this a holdout?

While I do not believe your opinion is anywhere close to reality the way it works is he can play on the tag or not play anywhere.  If he chooses to not play and take the year off then next year the same thing will apply. I can't see that helping his value.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(06-05-2023, 02:20 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Another day gone by that Engram is not currently a Jaguar. Still hasn’t signed the tag. I don’t think he will sign it. His value has never been as high as it is now. He broke all the Jaguar single season tight end records, we just come off a playoff season. There’s no proven tight ends on the roster behind him. If I was Engram I would holdout for a long term contract too. It ain’t my fault they can’t manage money. They gotta pay me big son.

Engram is trying to get a deal done and so are the Jags. They are negotiating a long term deal. It might very well happen before July IMO. 

The only way it is going to happen will be Engram coming off of his price, and not the Jags raising their current offer significantly. 
The simple reason for this is the NFL's current TE market. There were no landmark free agent deals for TE's this year, and guys that have shown similar production to Engram got lackluster deals. 

If Engram gets a 3 year deal for 30-35 million and 24-26 guaranteed, he should take the money.

(06-05-2023, 05:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-05-2023, 02:20 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Another day gone by that Engram is not currently a Jaguar. Still hasn’t signed the tag. I don’t think he will sign it. His value has never been as high as it is now. He broke all the Jaguar single season tight end records, we just come off a playoff season. There’s no proven tight ends on the roster behind him. If I was Engram I would holdout for a long term contract too. It ain’t my fault they can’t manage money. They gotta pay me big son.

Engram is trying to get a deal done and so are the Jags. They are negotiating a long term deal. It might very well happen before July IMO. 

The only way it is going to happen will be Engram coming off of his price, and not the Jags raising their current offer significantly. 
The simple reason for this is the NFL's current TE market. There were no landmark free agent deals for TE's this year, and guys that have shown similar production to Engram got lackluster deals. 

If Engram gets a 3 year deal for 30-35 million and 24-26 guaranteed, he should take the money.

Agreed