Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Are the Jaguars a Super Bowl contender?

With the draft and the 1st two waves of free agency completed, have the Jaguars done enough to be a legitimate Super Bowl contender? My answer would be "no", however there is still time to change my opinion. The team has yet to legitimately address the team's two biggest weaknesses: pass rush and nickel corner. To expect any of the off-season acquisitions to help significantly at these positions is not reasonable. Abdullah, Hallett and Braswell are all interesting prospects, but even the most optimistic fan would say all three will have big learning curves and won't be able to be relied upon for consistent production. 

I believe Walker and Lloyd will improve significantly which would make the defense good enough for the Jaguars potentially elite offense to outscore most opponents. However, in order to beat teams with upper echelon quarterbacks (K.C., Bengals, Bills), the team needs to still add a veteran pass rusher and nickel. There is enough salary cap room for this to happen, especially since players like Justin Houston could be signed to a one year deal. Signing Houston (Yannick would cost much more) along with Bryce Callahan would be very do-able and give the team a very legitimate chance to go deep into the playoffs. Who would have imagined that Clyde Simmons would become the team's leading sacker for two consecutive years (more than Brackens) when the acquired him in free agency? Without Simmons, it's unlikely they'd have made the amazing playoff run in 1996. 

Super Bowl windows don't last forever, so the Jaguars need to address these two positions before it's too late.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think so, simply because they are playing a fairly weak schedule so I expect them to get to January in pretty good shape. Adding Ridley makes this an offense that can win games despite the defense, and that's the Chefs their first year with Mahomes. So yeah, they can contend even though they aren't the most complete team in the League.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Yes. With the addition of Ridley and Trevor's expected growth absolutely. Combined with an expected increase defensively and a relatively favorable schedule we should be in position to make a run. We were a fumble/dropped Henne INT away from being in the ACFCG last year.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I think they are among the top 10 Super Bowl contenders. They might be the 8th or 9th best team in the league.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2023, 03:03 PM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 2 times in total.)

Vegas odds are somewhat weighted toward betting sentiment but it gives one a good idea of what the popular betting opinion is related to the SB.  From a pure value standpoint, I like the Titans at 80:1.   With a healthy Tannehill, I think they beat the Jags at the end of last season and our playoff run ends there.

Team Odds
Kansas City Chiefs +650 
Philadelphia Eagles +700 
Cincinnati Bengals +900 
Buffalo Bills +900 
San Francisco 49ers +900 
New York Jets +1400 
Dallas Cowboys +1600 
Baltimore Ravens +1800 
Detroit Lions +2000 
Jacksonville Jaguars +2800 
Cleveland Browns +3000 
Los Angeles Chargers +3000 
Miami Dolphins +3000 
Denver Broncos +4000 
New Orleans Saints +4000 
Seattle Seahawks +4000 
Carolina Panthers +5000 
Chicago Bears +5000 
Green Bay Packers +5000 
Minnesota Vikings +5000 
New England Patriots +5000 
New York Giants +5000 
Pittsburgh Steelers +6000 
Atlanta Falcons +6600 
Las Vegas Raiders +6600 
Los Angeles Rams +6600 
Washington Commanders +6600 
Tennessee Titans +8000 
Indianapolis Colts +10000 
Tampa Bay Buccaneers +10000 
Houston Texans +12500 
Arizona Cardinals +20000

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/betting/nfl/...rylink=cpy

(06-12-2023, 02:53 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Vegas odds are somewhat weighted toward betting sentiment but it gives one a good idea of what the popular betting opinion is related to the SB.  From a pure value standpoint, I like the Titans at 80:1.   With a healthy Tannehill, I think they beat the Jags at the end of last season and our playoff run ends there.

Team Odds
Kansas City Chiefs +650 
Philadelphia Eagles +700 
Cincinnati Bengals +900 
Buffalo Bills +900 
San Francisco 49ers +900 
New York Jets +1400 
Dallas Cowboys +1600 
Baltimore Ravens +1800 
Detroit Lions +2000 
Jacksonville Jaguars +2800 
Cleveland Browns +3000 
Los Angeles Chargers +3000 
Miami Dolphins +3000 
Denver Broncos +4000 
New Orleans Saints +4000 
Seattle Seahawks +4000 
Carolina Panthers +5000 
Chicago Bears +5000 
Green Bay Packers +5000 
Minnesota Vikings +5000 
New England Patriots +5000 
New York Giants +5000 
Pittsburgh Steelers +6000 
Atlanta Falcons +6600 
Las Vegas Raiders +6600 
Los Angeles Rams +6600 
Washington Commanders +6600 
Tennessee Titans +8000 
Indianapolis Colts +10000 
Tampa Bay Buccaneers +10000 
Houston Texans +12500 
Arizona Cardinals +20000

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/betting/nfl/...rylink=cpy

Vegas is dumb.  Certain fans are purely irrational and always convinced next year is their year.  Giants, Bears, Packers.  Always take the under on anything those teams are doing in the offseason.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Depends on what you mean by legitimate. Dark horse, definitely.

Dark horse? Maybe. Legit? I think 2024.

As long as Trevor stays healthy, we are a contender for the foreseeable future.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Yes

How the defense performs will determine if they are or not.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

At this point, every team thinks they are Super Bowl contenders..
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2023, 08:17 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

If they can overcome the early miscues from last year that cost them some football games and limit the errors offensively they should have as good a chance as anybody. Divisionally we're set to have the easiest path to the postseason, at least on paper and according to the pundits. A good tell will be how they fair against their five biggest opponents on this year's schedule.

Kansas City, Buffalo, Baltimore, Cincinatti & San Francisco. These teams are always in the conversation, so, if you want to cement yourself at the table with them? You need to knock at least a few of them down. Baltimore we already proved we could do it last year. Kansas City and Cincinatti though are probably going to be the two top dogs in the AFC. Rode to the Superbowl will go through one of them for sure.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(06-13-2023, 08:16 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Kansas City, Buffalo, Baltimore, Cincinatti & San Francisco. These teams are always in the conversation, so, if you want to cement yourself at the table with them? 

Philly fan hates you.

I also hate attempting to spell Cincinnati so I usually just spell Bengals

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2023, 08:54 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-13-2023, 08:51 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-13-2023, 08:16 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Kansas City, Buffalo, Baltimore, Cincinatti & San Francisco. These teams are always in the conversation, so, if you want to cement yourself at the table with them? 

Philly fan hates you.

I also hate attempting to spell Cincinnati so I usually just spell Bengals

LOL. Damn. I missed that extra "n" in there and added an extra "t". I didn't see a spell check come up on me when I was typing it out. I felt pretty good. Thought I nailed it!
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

This offense will give them a chance but I think the lack of a pass rush will ultimately come back to haunt them. I’ll take it though, it’s way beyond where we’ve been recently.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-12-2023, 06:52 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: As long as Trevor stays healthy, we are a contender for the foreseeable future.
This is the right answer.

Just depends on player development at this point.

The team is well positioned to make the playoffs and be a tough out if they are healthy.
Trevor + Pederson should make that sustainable for some time.

It's very possible.

If Trevor takes that third year leap and continues to mimick Josh Allens 3 year growth spurt (including adding a stud WR in year 3)
And if our defense can become a bit more tolerable, we certainly have a shot.

If Mahomes didn't exist i'd say we had really good chances, but that guy is out here replacing Brady right now and he's pissing me off.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2023, 08:21 AM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-14-2023, 07:40 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: It's very possible.

If Trevor takes that third year leap and continues to mimick Josh Allens 3 year growth spurt (including adding a stud WR in year 3)
And if our defense can become a bit more tolerable, we certainly have a shot.

If Mahomes didn't exist i'd say we had really good chances, but that guy is out here replacing Brady right now and he's pissing me off.
He’s better than Brady.

Brady didn’t carry the Pats in the early years. That was all defense and Belicheck. Mahomes been carrying them since day 1.