Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Players to watch in final Preseason game

By now most of the roster is set, but there are still a few decisions to be made. Let's look at the guys still fighting for final roster spots...

• QB Brandon Allen - Using last season as a precedent, Allen may very well play this entire game so we can get a good long look at him. He has a natural, deep passing arm worth developing in this system along with outstanding poise in the pocket, but still must learn how to not throw INTs. I predict he will make the roster as the #3 QB behind Bortles and Henne. If Henne does have to play, he'll be on an extremely short leash.

• RB Joe Banyard - It pretty much goes without saying that the top four RBs will be Ivory, Yeldon, DRob and Grant, but Banyard has been running hard out there and will get plenty of action in this game. The Jaguars typically keep five RBs, and he's making his own claim for them to do so again. That said, I predict they just don't have room for Banyard, but Caldwell will keep his number on speed dial in case of injury should he not end up somewhere else.

• TE Braedon Bowman - Bowman looks the part of a TE and shows natural athleticism out there with outstanding hands reminding me of former 49ers TE Brent Jones. I see him one day starting in this league, but he needs a final good showing to clinch the roster to make the final decision at TE come down to Koyack vs Sterling. There is only room for two of the three. It's my prediction that Bowman will make the roster as the #4 TE since he's so raw, and that the other two are battling for the early #3 TE role with the loser going on the PS.

• WR Arrelious Benn - It's generally thought the Jaguars will stick to only five WRs with the last spot coming down Walters vs Benn, and Walters seems to have an edge as the fan favorite with Benn on IR most of last year. We all know precisely what we have in Walters. That is, a guy with exceptional hands despite his drop in Bengals game, and a guy who is able to routinely find that first down marker in order to get just enough yards to convert. Walters is a natural slot receiver with a knack for getting open in the middle of the field. Benn is intriguing player we need to see more of with natural deep speed as a split-end and a knack for getting open down the sideline. He's got a little Jimmy Smith in him and excites me as a player that fits Oley's scheme well. My prediction is that he wins the #5 WR spot and they waive Walters, but should Walters secure that spot I'd hope the team will find a way to keep Benn as a 6th WR.

• G Chris Reed - Shatley and Wells are likely to stay put leaving only two spots to fight for between Reed, Kadeem Edwards, Bernadeau and Omameh. Omameh has a bit of an edge here since the 4-year vet can also backup at RT, so it may come down to only one spot between Reed, Edwards and Bernadeu. The latter two graded out well in the Bengals game at PFF making this a tough decision, but in Bradley's presser he took time to specifically mention Reed as being in the mix. Bernadeau is a 9-year vet, and while experienced, his old age has shown itself at times. Edwards is going into his third season and looked great against the Bengals after having been injured for the first two weeks of the Preseason. Reed has yet to accrue an official season, but has been a favorite to win a roster spot since standing out as the starting G for the first preseason game. It's conceivable that the team might only keep 8 OLs given Joekel's versatility in which case their depth would feature Wells, Shatley and one more player. My prediction is that 8th OL would be Reed, and that if they keep nine as expected, Omameh would be the 9th. Of note, ESPN prodicted Bernadeau to make it over Omameh as the 9th, and they remain correct after the first round of cuts.

• DE Tyrone Holmes - the Jaguars 6th round pick stood out with a monster game against the Bengals, and has impressed in flashes all preseason. With the Jaguars emphasis on an improved pass rush, and with Woodard on the PUP, the team would be well advised to keep him on the roster. That said, Holmes still needs another stand out game to make this much clear because the numbers game on the DL is as tight as ever. It's thought the team can only keep 10 DLs, and 9 of those spots appear secure. That is, you have Odrick, Miller, Malik and Fowler starting with Alualu, Jones, Marks and Ngakoue behind them, along with their 4th round draft pick Day who is staying put. This leaves one spot for Holmes as a 5th DE or Michael Bennett who has been making his own claim for a spot as a 6th DT as predicted by ESPN. I predict that 6 DTs is just too many and that Holmes makes the roster as a LOTTO.

• Hayes Pullard III - At the start of preseason nobody knew his name. Over the past two weeks, that's changed. Reports of him challenging Tripp both for a roster spot and as the team best ST ace began a couple weeks ago, and since then he's popped out on the screen with action as a FB catching a TD pass despite not reporting, and making the game winning INT against the Bengals as a LB. It's now thought that Pullard will make the roster, but does he replace a guy like Tripp or Davis who they seem to love, or do they keep him as a 7th LB while going short somewhere else such as going a player short on offense by only keeping 8 OLs? I predict that they find a way to keep Pullard, although I'm not prepared to predict how they do this.

• Nick Marshall - Marshall is smack on the bubble needing a solid game to make the roster as the team's 5th CB, and they want to keep five unless they consider Colvin their 5th despite his suspension. The top four are clearly House, Ramsey, Prince and, as much as I hate to admit it, Gratz. This leaves Marshall and a couple impressive undrafted rookies vying for one spot. Nick had a great game week one, then seemed to stink week two, but then had his best game yet week three grading out as one of the Jaguars best players at PFF. Another great game and he might just secure the final CB spot for himself. Otherwise that spot is going to one of two players likely to make the PS, as in Boddy Briean-Calhoun who has looked impressive this preseason in coverage, or Josh Johnson who had the INT returned for a TD in week two.

• Jarrod Wilson - The final battle on the roster is between Peyton Thompson and Jarrod Wilson for the backup FS role as Evans job appears secure as the backup SS. Thompson was an emergency corner for the Jaguarsa last year who was converted to FS this season, and he's been not great, but ok. Week two he had an incredibly hard hit on a play...so hard that he sustained a concussion. Meanwhile, Jarrod has impressed all camp and preseason as an undrafted rookie, and he really looks the part you see him on the field. I just feel like he's going to be a good player, and it's my prediction that he knocks Thompson right off the roster. If I'm wrong and he fails to win a roster spot, you can rest assured that he'll make the PS if not claimed.

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think Holmes makes it.

How in the world is Joeckel not playing the final pre-season game?

Quote:How in the world is Joeckel not playing the final pre-season game?

For the same exact reason that Linder, Parnell, Cann and Beachum are not playing.

'02

Myles Jack

I would play Brandon Allen the entire game

;

;

JW is not going to be happy about this thread.

Quote:I would play Brandon Allen the entire game

Henne should start and go out in the first quarter.

I think they may keep Jarrod Wilson and Peyton Thompson as back-up safeties and part ways with Evans.  Look for Wilson to get snaps at SS tomorrow. If he does, that's  ^ why. 

Other than that and players mentioned already, I think the big thing to watch is who stands out on special teams in coverage, blocking  and gunner duty. 

That's the best shot for most of these bubble guys to make the team. 

What is gunner duty?

Quote:What is gunner duty?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunner_(Am..._football)

gunner duty? ew gross

Quote:I think they may keep Jarrod Wilson and Peyton Thompson as back-up safeties and part ways with Evans.  Look for Wilson to get snaps at SS tomorrow. If he does, that's  ^ why. 

Other than that and players mentioned already, I think the big thing to watch is who stands out on special teams in coverage, blocking  and gunner duty. 

That's the best shot for most of these bubble guys to make the team. 

This is certainly possible regarding Wilson, and I agree that if you see him getting reps at SS, Evans is probably sweating (and I don't mean from playing). It'll be interesting how this shakes out. Thurston Armbrister and Chris Smith look to be out the door with the emergence of Holmes and Pullard, but you never know if one of them is going to step it up in the last game here to get noticed.

'02

Sheldon Day is playing, so I'll be watching him. And Jack.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Sheldon Day is playing, so I'll be watching him. And Jack.

So much for the earlier thread claiming we will put Day on IR.

Quote:This is certainly possible regarding Wilson, and I agree that if you see him getting reps at SS, Evans is probably sweating (and I don't mean from playing). It'll be interesting how this shakes out. Thurston Armbrister and Chris Smith look to be out the door with the emergence of Holmes and Pullard,
and so does Tony Washington
on the offensive side, but you never know if one of them is going to step it up in the last game here to get noticed.

Washington was waived.  My sleeper WR is Rashad Lawrence.  I hope he's at least on the PS.  

Sub- 4.5 forty time, 39 inch vert, and the make-up of a solid slot player IMO. 

Quote:Washington was waived.  My sleeper WR is Rashad Lawrence.  I hope he's at least on the PS.  

You must have already been in this thread when I edited it to remove Tony's name after I saw he was waived.

'02

Regarding Jarrod Wilson...

I noticed Wilson playing FS early on which made sense knowing he was a FS in college, however, I just hear O'hallaran explain that he's been working both at FS and SS.

'02

Quote:Washington was waived.  My sleeper WR is Rashad Lawrence. I hope he's at least on the PS.  

How good is Lawrence at catching footballs?

Quote:Regarding Jarrod Wilson...

I noticed Wilson playing FS early on which made sense knowing he was a FS in college, however, I just hear O'hallaran explain that he's been working both at FS and SS.

Maybe he will play at SS tomorrow.