Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
GOP Debate thoughts

I think different candidates have had strong points and weaknesses on different topics. A few that standout Hutchinson is 100% right on the abortion topic Republicans are being hypocritical to argue for states rights for 50 years and then now say we need a federal ban. I support it staying a 10th amendment issue for states to settle. 

Ron Desantis was strong on several points but looked weak when he avoided answering the January 6th question. 

Vivik is always sharpe and quick on his feet he nailed it on climate change. 

I disagree with Vivik and Pence on their extreme yes and no supporting Ukraine, I think DeSantis is correct we support them contingent on Europe handling more of European problems. I hate the talk about an invasion on the southern border that's hyperbole. 

I think Tim Scott comes off as the most honest and genuine out of all them. 

Pence spent to much time trying to establish himself as an OG conservative, I do respect him standing up to massive pressure on January 6th and doing the right thing. 

In order I have my preference as 
1 DeSantis
2 Scott
3 anyone else but trump
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2023, 10:58 PM by Caldrac.)

I like Vivek.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I liked a lot of what DeSantis said tonight. Especially on Ukraine, border control and the education system.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2023, 11:02 PM by EricC85.)

(08-23-2023, 10:57 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I like Vivek.

I liked a lot of what DeSantis said tonight. Especially on Ukraine, border control and the education system.

I like him too, still prefer DeSantis but I could vote for him push come to shove. I think he leans a little to close to Alex Jones conspiracies for me but he's still a good candidate
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

The battle for second place..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2023, 11:12 PM by mikesez. Edited 2 times in total.)

Vivek has the personality and vigor and youth I want to see. But he is totally wrong regarding how to handle Trump's possible criminal convictions, and totally wrong about how to confront Russia and China. Nikki Haley was right about this. There are many European countries already doing more for Ukraine than we are. Do we encourage them to do even more, yes. Do we hold out until they do, no.

Most of the candidates are living in reality, I would say, but not Vivek and not Ron.

I thought Ron cutting off the moderator about the climate change hand raise was both juvenile and cowardly. He did that a few other times, refusing to answer questions.

Really I liked what I saw from the other 6 a lot. But Vivek is dangerous. It'll be a while before we see the last of him.

The one nice thing I'll say about Vivek is, when he argued with Pence about rural America being in a sort of malaise, he was right. It's why homeless people are staying in cities rather than finding homes they can fix up in the sticks. It's why China and Mexico make fentanyl but very few Chinese or Mexicans overdose on it. Many people in the US, especially the rural US, lack identity and direction. Vivek was right about that. But I don't know how government can fix it. Does anyone?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Haley and Christie had the best debate. DeSantis showed some energy. Vivek came across annoying. Pence came to fight and was in the mix. Scott looked overwhelmed. 2 or three of these 8 need to probably drop out.

It was a talking point fest for a party that's already chosen the candidate. Vivek is Winger with money and a platform. Pence is dull. DeSantis needs two opponents not seven. The Former Governors group are all second tier. I could see Tim Scott in the Vice seat just because he helps offset Kackala's box checking role and outshines her on character. Overall it's still Trump by a mile.

And the whole thing felt like Fox was going for Monday Night Football rather than serious politics.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2023, 07:24 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-24-2023, 06:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It was a talking point fest for a party that's already chosen the candidate. Vivek is Winger with money and a platform. Pence is dull. DeSantis needs two opponents not seven. The Former Governors group are all second tier. I could see Tim Scott in the Vice seat just because he helps offset Kackala's box checking role and outshines her on character. Overall it's still Trump by a mile.

And the whole thing felt like Fox was going for Monday Night Football rather than serious politics.

I’m not a fan of the format. The crowd also demonstrated why Trump doesn’t need to be there.

However, I think Nikki Haley made a good showing for herself.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2023, 09:53 AM by Lucky2Last. Edited 2 times in total.)

Nikki is an establishment moderate. Nothing will change with her at the helm. Only the messaging. Mike Pence and Chris Christie need to drop out. They aren't serious contenders. They are there as obstacles to Trump, which, ironically, only gives Trump a bigger voice as they drown out his competitors. DeSantis did ok. He needs more time to talk. Tim Scott is ok. Needs more time to talk. The other two governors need to drop out. They are old and boring. Vivek is an outsider. He will be labeled as crazy by the establishment MSM, but he has some fresh ideas, youthful energy, and a vision for a united America. He's the only Republican I see reaching across the aisle to minorities and speaking on liberal and progressive platforms.

If you could narrow this field to Haley, Scott, DeSantis, and Vivek, you could have a more informative debate on real issues. Not that it matters. Unless we end with an establishment Republican who will do the bidding of our corporate overlords, they aren't winning this election.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2023, 10:51 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I forgot it was on as I was watching a Railroad Earth concert @ Red Rocks.  Did happen to catch the final 30+ minutes.  I like Hutchinson, Christie, and Haley but don't even mind the others.  I can't wait until  2028 when Trump is gone and there is a normal selection of GOP candidates.  Same on the DEM side.....  it will be nice to see fresh new faces on both ends of the spectrum.

(08-24-2023, 10:51 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I forgot it was on as I was watching a Railroad Earth concert @ Red Rocks.  Did happen to catch the final 30+ minutes.  I like Hutchinson, Christie, and Haley but don't even mind the others.  I can't wait until  2028 when Trump is gone and there is a normal selection of GOP candidates.  Same on the DEM side.....  it will be nice to see fresh new faces on both ends of the spectrum.

I don’t think anyone disagrees with you there.

(08-23-2023, 11:08 PM)mikesez Wrote: Vivek has the personality and vigor and youth I want to see.  But he is totally wrong regarding how to handle Trump's possible criminal convictions, and totally wrong about how to confront Russia and China.  Nikki Haley was right about this.  There are many European countries already doing more for Ukraine than we are.  Do we encourage them to do even more, yes.  Do we hold out until they do, no.

Most of the candidates are living in reality, I would say, but not Vivek and not Ron.

I thought Ron cutting off the moderator about the climate change hand raise was both juvenile and cowardly.  He did that a few other times, refusing to answer questions.

Really I liked what I saw from the other 6 a lot.  But Vivek is dangerous. It'll be a while before we see the last of him.

The one nice thing I'll say about Vivek is, when he argued with Pence about rural America being in a sort of malaise, he was right.  It's why homeless people are staying in cities rather than finding homes they can fix up in the sticks.  It's why China and Mexico make fentanyl but very few Chinese or Mexicans overdose on it.  Many people in the US, especially the rural US, lack identity and direction.  Vivek was right about that.  But I don't know how government can fix it.  Does anyone?

It’s interesting that in all likelihood the very reason you dislike the Vivek is the very reason I have him at the top of my list.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(08-24-2023, 10:55 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 10:51 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I forgot it was on as I was watching a Railroad Earth concert @ Red Rocks.  Did happen to catch the final 30+ minutes.  I like Hutchinson, Christie, and Haley but don't even mind the others.  I can't wait until  2028 when Trump is gone and there is a normal selection of GOP candidates.  Same on the DEM side.....  it will be nice to see fresh new faces on both ends of the spectrum.

I don’t think anyone disagrees with you there.

I think it's an assumption to believe Trump will be gone in 2028. If he's breathing then he's involved.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The right likes Vivek for many of the same reasons they like(d) Trump.

The right seems like it needs two parties these days.

One who are allegiant to the incendiary rhetoric of Trump and Vivek Ramaswamy, and and another who are rooted in some semblance of meaningful policy with an actual chance at attainability.

Oddly - Ramaswamy ripped off Obama with his "who's this skinny kid up here with the funny last name?" quip last night. LOL

(08-24-2023, 11:01 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 10:55 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don’t think anyone disagrees with you there.

I think it's an assumption to believe Trump will be gone in 2028. If he's breathing then he's involved.

You spelled incarcerated wrong. 

Tongue

Mike Pence is arguably the GOP's best potential president although not necessarily the best candidate due to having the personality of a turnip. Haley would be a good candidate from my perspective but has a zero percent chance in either the primaries or the general election.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(08-24-2023, 09:51 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Nikki is an establishment moderate. Nothing will change with her at the helm. 

What changes does a non-establishment president really make?  I mean, what did Trump really change that you would consider it to be so unique that it couldn't have been done by someone within the establishment?   Trump is so non-establishment that he didn't even have a clue what rights he had and didn't have as a president.

(08-24-2023, 11:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The right likes Vivek for many of the same reasons they like(d) Trump.

One who are allegiant to the incendiary rhetoric of Trump and Vivek Ramaswamy, and and another who are rooted in some semblance of meaningful policy with an actual chance at attainability.

Oddly -  Ramaswamy ripped off Obama with his "who's this skinny kid up here with the funny last name?" quip last night. LOL

(08-24-2023, 11:01 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I think it's an assumption to believe Trump will be gone in 2028. If he's breathing then he's involved.

Tongue

You call it incendiary, I call it refreshing.  The system is broken whether you realise it or not.  It’s going to take an outsider with new ideas to fix it.  Trump never had the temperament to do this hopefully Vivek does.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(08-24-2023, 11:23 AM)copycat Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 11:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The right likes Vivek for many of the same reasons they like(d) Trump.

Oddly -  Ramaswamy ripped off Obama with his "who's this skinny kid up here with the funny last name?" quip last night. LOL

Tongue

You call it incendiary, I call it refreshing.  The system is broken whether you realise it or not.  It’s going to take an outsider with new ideas to fix it.  Trump never had the temperament to do this hopefully Vivek does.

I don't think Vivek was incendiary at all.  He didn't make me feel angry.  Rather, when moderators and other candidates presented him with facts, he said, "I reject those facts." A large contingent of both parties simply doesn't believe that difficult questions exist, and they want a candidate who will reinforce their delusions so they feel good.

But that's why he's dangerous. If he's President and we actually have a difficult situation, will he try to assert his way out of it? "Mr. President the Congress and Supreme Court say that's beyond your authority." "No they didn't."  See what I mean?

(08-24-2023, 11:01 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I think it's an assumption to believe Trump will be gone in 2028. If he's breathing then he's involved.

Tongue

I'm sure you've got him this time. Just like the other times.

What will be interesting is how fast they drop the charges if/when he's not longer an election threat. Then what they dig back up in 2027 when he's out campaigning again.

(08-24-2023, 11:08 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Mike Pence is arguably the GOP's best potential president although not necessarily the best candidate due to having the personality of a turnip. Haley would be a good candidate from my perspective but has a zero percent chance in either the primaries or the general election.

Pence and Haley both said they would support Trump if he got the nomination.  Almost everything else they said made sense.  But that one hand raise contradicts everything.  I know why they said so, because they think not saying so will turn off too many voters, but it highlights the impossible task they have.