Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Idalia headed this way

I’m already losing satellite signal. That’s an indicator this storm is intense.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-29-2023, 10:37 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 10:05 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Nearly got flattened by a Yankee with 2 buggies full of water jugs last night. Panic spending can't be good for inflation right now.

I love the ones filling up 7 gas cans and 3 propane tanks.........................then putting them in the trunk.  If they get hit, it could be like riding in a bomb.

Ford Pinto!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2023, 10:28 PM by americus 2.0.)

(08-29-2023, 04:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 04:36 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: That's what a grill is for. Ours is undercover so we can grill rain or shine or snow. Unless it's raining sideways.

And no one will suspect it’s a grill.  Ninja

Exactly!

(08-29-2023, 04:49 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 11:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Nothing like stocking up on steaks prior to the electricity going out.

(08-29-2023, 04:36 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: That's what a grill is for. Ours is undercover so we can grill rain or shine or snow. Unless it's raining sideways.

I thought the charcoal made it obvious.  Maybe he was referring to the refrigerator.

Well, yeah. The power goes out you fire up the grill to cook it and eat it.

(08-29-2023, 10:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 04:49 PM)Sneakers Wrote:  
I thought the charcoal made it obvious.  Maybe he was referring to the refrigerator.

If I'm stuck in the house without power, I'm at least going to enjoy a nice dinner.

P.S.  Giving you a + for the Pinto.  Didn't think you were old enough to remember those.................you must have overheard your parents talking about them.  Big Grin
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Looks like highest winds in metro-Jax will be from 11AM-2PM and will begin subsiding to pretty normal/moderate levels after that.

Nothing crazy in my hood thus far.

(08-30-2023, 09:51 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 10:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

If I'm stuck in the house without power, I'm at least going to enjoy a nice dinner.

P.S.  Giving you a + for the Pinto.  Didn't think you were old enough to remember those.................you must have overheard your parents talking about them.  Big Grin

There are only two girls that are on this board regularly…you can’t tell the difference between us? Laughing
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(08-29-2023, 04:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

And no one will suspect it’s a grill.  Ninja

I get that ... duh.   But, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to hurricanes.  Our freezer is full so I try to eat anything possible in advance of the hurricane in preparation of things potentially spoiling if the power is out for an long-term period.  That said, I think the longest our power was out in any single duration was 10 hours for the hurricane that came up the east coast on the opening day of the the NFL when the Jags beat the Texans.  If I recall correctly, they cut the power from ~ midnight until 10am.

(08-30-2023, 10:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Looks like highest winds in metro-Jax will be from 11AM-2PM and will begin subsiding to pretty normal/moderate levels after that.

Nothing crazy in my hood thus far.

11:15am - pretty strong winds here at the beach but nothing is over the dunes as of yet. Looks like we're not even getting a strong rain at this point.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

It has been pretty much a non-event for us (thankfully).  Just a rainy day with some moderate winds.  At least we didn't lose power.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-30-2023, 10:54 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 04:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: And no one will suspect it’s a grill.  Ninja

I get that ... duh.   But, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to hurricanes.  Our freezer is full so I try to eat anything possible in advance of the hurricane in preparation of things potentially spoiling if the power is out for an long-term period.  That said, I think the longest our power was out in any single duration was 10 hours for the hurricane that came up the east coast on the opening day of the the NFL when the Jags beat the Texans.  If I recall correctly, they cut the power from ~ midnight until 10am.

Our deep freezer is also full. I tried talking my husband into getting a generator for years but he wasn't going for it. When our county had that power outage in December due to sabotage I didn't ask him about getting one, I told him I was getting one. As I was getting into my truck. He didn't argue. Lol. 

There is no reason for all of that meat to go to waste, plus what is in our fridge at any given time. In December I had just gone grocery shopping the day before so our fridge was full. I wasn't losing all of that plus the deep freezer.

Well, I think that’s about it. So long, Idalia. Don’t come back.

My wife was out gardening in this [BLEEP]..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Due to the lack of rain and heat the last couple of weeks, my pool water level had gotten a little low, thought I'd get a freebie refill....guess it's time to put the hose in it.

We may just catch a break on this one..

https://twitter.com/accuweather/status/1...MoALQ&s=19
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Lee worries me. If the trough coming across the country is too slow or Lee moves faster than projected it could smack NC right in the mouth. Best case scenario is the trough reaches the east coast at just the right time and pushes a slower moving Lee northeast and away from the eastern seaboard.

We have provisions and a generator but my husband would still have to go to work and deal with all the complications heavy rain brings on to wastewater plants. Thankfully he was off when Idalia's heavy rain came through so the plant was someone else's problem. He might not be so lucky again.

(09-07-2023, 10:22 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: We may just catch a break on this one..

Only if it misses us completely, it's already a Cat 5! 

And I just finished picking up all the broken branches in my yard from Idalia.  I hope this one veers north (sorry americus).

I remember when we had hurricanes that were only named after women. No men's names. They changed that in 1978. Now we have hurricanes and himicanes.

(09-08-2023, 10:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I remember when we had hurricanes that were only named after women.  No men's names.  They changed that in 1978.  Now we have hurricanes and himicanes.

Shouldn't we let the hurricane decide for itself how it wants to identify?

(09-08-2023, 10:30 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 10:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I remember when we had hurricanes that were only named after women.  No men's names.  They changed that in 1978.  Now we have hurricanes and himicanes.

Shouldn't we let the hurricane decide for itself how it wants to identify?

+1

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2023, 01:54 PM by americus 2.0.)

(09-08-2023, 07:30 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(09-07-2023, 10:22 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: We may just catch a break on this one..

Only if it misses us completely, it's already a Cat 5! 

And I just finished picking up all the broken branches in my yard from Idalia.  I hope this one veers north (sorry americus).

Dude, I don't want anyone in the path of this monster. It just needs to get pushed out into the Atlantic.

You surely meant HERricanes.  Big Grin