Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trevor Lawrence vs Patrick Mahomes

(09-15-2023, 07:25 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-14-2023, 11:39 PM)Eric1 Wrote: You guys need to stop kidding yourselves already.. Lawrence is an ELITE QB.

He’s still in the prove it phase. My guess is at the end of this season he will be widely regarded as that. As it stands now, one half of one season isn’t a body of work big enough to lay claim to that yet.

If he plays like is currently the rest of the season, you’re saying he’ll be regarded as elite. Therefore, he’s currently playing as an elite QB but y’all just lagging.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-15-2023, 08:10 AM)NoShoes Wrote:
(09-15-2023, 07:25 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: He’s still in the prove it phase. My guess is at the end of this season he will be widely regarded as that. As it stands now, one half of one season isn’t a body of work big enough to lay claim to that yet.

If he plays like is currently the rest of the season, you’re saying he’ll be regarded as elite. Therefore, he’s currently playing as an elite QB but y’all just lagging.

One of THE PRIME characteristics of an elite QB is consistency. He needs to play an entire season being consistently elite. Until then he’s in the Philip Rivers category.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2023, 08:37 PM by OG-JAGFAN.)

(09-15-2023, 08:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-15-2023, 08:10 AM)NoShoes Wrote: If he plays like is currently the rest of the season, you’re saying he’ll be regarded as elite. Therefore, he’s currently playing as an elite QB but y’all just lagging.

One of THE PRIME characteristics of an elite QB is consistency. He needs to play an entire season being consistently elite. Until then he’s in the Philip Rivers category.

I can agree on that.  This league is full of 1 year prospects that vanished. I do not see that in Lawrence but time will tell.  I would say he is ascending that ladder to elite.

(09-15-2023, 07:25 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: He’s still in the prove it phase. My guess is at the end of this season he will be widely regarded as that. As it stands now, one half of one season isn’t a body of work big enough to lay claim to that yet.

Playing like one and being one are two totally different things.  Playing like one can be short term. I do not think anyone is complaining about how Lawrence is peforming. He just has to do it enough.

(09-15-2023, 08:36 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:
(09-15-2023, 08:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: One of THE PRIME characteristics of an elite QB is consistency. He needs to play an entire season being consistently elite. Until then he’s in the Philip Rivers category.

I can agree on that.  This league is full of 1 year prospects that vanished. I do not see that in Lawrence but time will tell.  I would say he is ascending that ladder to elite.

(09-15-2023, 08:10 AM)NoShoes Wrote: If he plays like is currently the rest of the season, you’re saying he’ll be regarded as elite. Therefore, he’s currently playing as an elite QB but y’all just lagging.

Playing like one and being one are two totally different things.  Playing like one can be short term. I do not think anyone is complaining about how Lawrence is peforming. He just has to do it enough.

If you've watched NFL QBs come and go long enough - it's pretty clear what he's showing us isn't a fluke.

Everybody has their own little definitions and terms for classifying athletes in tiers and whatnot, but we have one of the best QBs in the league and we're set to have him around for a long time. 

I've seen all I need to see to feel he'll be perennially labeled "elite."
The flukey guys don't show what he's shown that consistently - even in a short sample size. 
His talent level is rare. 

Believe me now, or believe me later.

(09-15-2023, 08:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-15-2023, 08:36 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: I can agree on that.  This league is full of 1 year prospects that vanished. I do not see that in Lawrence but time will tell.  I would say he is ascending that ladder to elite.

If you've watched NFL QBs come and go long enough - it's pretty clear what he's showing us isn't a fluke.

Everybody has their own little definitions and terms for classifying athletes in tiers and whatnot, but we have one of the best QBs in the league and we're set to have him around for a long time. 

The flukey guys don't show what he's shown that consistently - even in a short sample size. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

(09-15-2023, 08:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-15-2023, 08:36 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: I can agree on that.  This league is full of 1 year prospects that vanished. I do not see that in Lawrence but time will tell.  I would say he is ascending that ladder to elite.

I agree. At this point the only people here who don't see Trevor as a top of the league QB either haven't been watching football long enough or seriously enough to be able to recognize what they're seeing, or they're not actually Jags fans and they're praying that their eyes have been lying to them.

I see it, but my Whooped Dog Syndrome won't let me totally believe until I see a full season. I wanna believe!

(09-15-2023, 09:11 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(09-15-2023, 08:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If you've watched NFL QBs come and go long enough - it's pretty clear what he's showing us isn't a fluke.

I agree. At this point the only people here who don't see Trevor as a top of the league QB either haven't been watching football long enough or seriously enough to be able to recognize what they're seeing, or they're not actually Jags fans and they're praying that their eyes have been lying to them.

Believing Trevor to be, or not to be, "elite" has nothing to do with being a Jags fan or team loyalty.  We all hope he develops into the best ever, but displaying elite talent and playing consistently at an elite level are two very different things.  I believe he'll get there, but he hasn't earned the label quite yet.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Some of you guys are still kidding yourselves. The train has done left the station and you're falling off the wagon. Names will not be forgotten when you try and hop back on. And that goes beyond who've just posted in this thread.

(09-16-2023, 02:57 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Some of you guys are still kidding yourselves. The train has done left the station and you're falling off the wagon. Names will not be forgotten when you try and hop back on. And that goes beyond who've just posted in this thread.

They're conditioned to expect failure.  Can you forgive them?

(09-16-2023, 02:57 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Some of you guys are still kidding yourselves. The train has done left the station and you're falling off the wagon. Names will not be forgotten when you try and hop back on. And that goes beyond who've just posted in this thread.

No one is going to take you seriously, gestapo man, when you start naming names while wearing Trevor Lawrences jock strap as a COVID mask. 

You're putting on this air as some exalted keeper of the truth when all many have expressed is a desire to see Lawrence play consistently on a high level for one season. Just one season. That's not too much to ask, especially given our past of cycling 'the next QB' through a revolving door. No one is "falling off the wagon". 

So, shove your self-righteous name list up your [BLEEP]. 

I think that about covers it.

As I said. You’re lagging. Anyone that knows ball and has watched Trevor knows this is just the beginning.

(09-16-2023, 09:54 AM)NoShoes Wrote: As I said. You’re lagging. Anyone that knows ball and has watched Trevor knows this is just the beginning.

I see it. I really do.

(09-16-2023, 09:54 AM)NoShoes Wrote: As I said. You’re lagging. Anyone that knows ball and has watched Trevor knows this is just the beginning.

Lawrence and the skill positions are great but the lines are not. If you step away from fandom for a bit you can see some work still in progress although we’re way beyond what we’ve been in a long time.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Well not really... If you extrapolate 2/1 241 to 17 weeks it's not that pretty. 4097 yds 34 Td 17 ints is not what I call elite, maybe top 10. Elite is a great TD:INT ratio, 65%+ Completions and 7.5+ YPA. If you want to be in the Burrow/Mahomes tier (truly elite) then you need to play like it. When Burrow, Allen, and Hurts are "on" I still think they are better QBs atm.

Trevor never really takes over a game and utterly dominates a team from quarter 1-4. When we see that more often, we can start to make claims. TL hasn't lit up teams like some of the above-mentioned QBs have outside of the 1 outlier game in LA(Chargers).

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2023, 12:05 PM by I am Yoda.)

(09-16-2023, 11:54 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:

Well not really... If you extrapolate 2/1 241 to 17 weeks it's not that pretty. 4097 yds 34 Td 17 ints is not what I call elite, maybe top 10. Elite is a great TD:INT ratio, 65%+ Completions and 7.5+ YPA. If you want to be in the Burrow/Mahomes tier (truly elite) then you need to play like it. When Burrow, Allen, and Hurts are "on" I still think they are better QBs atm.

Trevor never really takes over a game and utterly dominates a team from quarter 1-4. When we see that more often, we can start to make claims. TL hasn't lit up teams like some of the above-mentioned QBs have outside of the 1 outlier game in LA(Chargers).

Completely disagree. Allen is a gunslinging screwup. Hurts is really good. But he doesn’t see the field like Trevor. Burrow is the only one that deserves to be mentioned on the same tier as Trevor. Those two are on the rung just behind Mahomes. The next tier, a couple fo steps behind, are Hurts, Herbert, and Allen in that order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

By that logic every week we'll have a pass bounce off someone's head for an int plus a sack fumble fumble for a TD. Hey, if we win all seventeen that's fine.

Quit it with this "we" business

Speak for yourself 

Hurts looked like crap in the 1st quarter on Thursday BTW

Some of us are looking at the rare ability Lawrence has and analyzing that on its own merits.

You have decided to require a bar of performance dependent upon a multitude of external factors and you aren't bothering to quantify any of them.

Go extrapolate Burrow from week 1 then champ…..

(09-15-2023, 08:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

One of THE PRIME characteristics of an elite QB is consistency. He needs to play an entire season being consistently elite. Until then he's in the Philip Rivers category.

A very nice way of putting it. 

He's gone through 'can you play at nfl level' and probably 'can you be the guy to lead a team long term' ... Next challenge and it's admittedly a big one ... Can you elevate yourself into a championship quarterback. Mahomes is probably in that very rare air beyond that where your looking at a guy writing the history of the game ....

Its a cracking challenge to have and I think he has the tools to do it so time will tell ... For now I think the Phil Rivers zone is about right!