Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Keeping Baalke = Depressing Year

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2023, 11:09 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

Balkie is too smart for his own good at times. He had so many chances to pick some good players this draft and stretched out for strange who is cool, but the jags could have done better there. It’s not even really about who he picked. It’s more about who he let slide by.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Baalke is absolutely horrible. Look at his drafts from the 49ers from 2011-2016. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/t..._draft.htm He was horrible then and there's no reason to believe he won't be horrible now. He passed on Hutchinson, who might be a pro bowler this year, for a guy who never played edge to play edge...with the first pick. To the best of my knowledge nobody has taken a guy one and changed his position because that's insane. He's gonna ruin this team. Period.
BORTLES ISN'T A FRANCHISE QB. FOURNETTE WILL BE A BUST.

(09-24-2023, 05:34 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I agree with Balke having made some major mistakes.

I'm just curious who you guys consider being slam dunk GM's in the NFL right now?

GM of the Dolphins, whoever he is. He certainly picked the right coach and the right pieces on offense.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

So are we still blaming Meyer for every bad move and giving Baalke credit for the good ones? are we blaming Meyer for Walker? lol

Same [BLEEP] every time, SOME of you guys did the same [BLEEP] with Caldwell/Coughlin, Harris/Gene and I am sure you will still do the same in the future lol
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(09-25-2023, 07:53 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: So are we still blaming Meyer for every bad move and giving Baalke credit for the good ones? are we blaming Meyer for Walker? lol

Same [BLEEP] every time, SOME of you guys did the same [BLEEP] with Caldwell/Coughlin, Harris/Gene and I am sure you will still do the same in the future lol

Baalke is terrible too.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-25-2023, 01:35 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(09-24-2023, 05:34 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I agree with Balke having made some major mistakes.

I'm just curious who you guys consider being slam dunk GM's in the NFL right now?

GM of the Dolphins, whoever he is.  He certainly picked the right coach and the right pieces on offense.
Or any guys of the SF front office ill be ok with signing as a GM

I have not been a Baalke basher to date. However, with hindsight, choosing Travon Walker with the first pick in the draft because of "potential" was not smart. Unfortunately, Walker is reminding me of Renaldo Wynn, and I just don't see improvement this year.

(09-24-2023, 03:57 PM)Jag88 Wrote: It’s the offense. The defense can only do so much without help.

The D went up against backup linemen and registered a whopping zero sacks.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2023, 10:52 AM by MoJagFan. Edited 1 time in total.)

This team's history is built upon bad drafting, poor talent development, and getting lucky no brainer picks handed to them. When you consider there would be no Freddie T if someone had been willing to pull the trigger on Coughlin's trade approach. Baalke is just the current place holder. Honestly the best GM we had was Shack Harris until Wayne pressured him to win now and give up the draft to go all in on one more SB push.

Pederson is the best Head Coach we have had since the early success of Coughlin and then JDR before the go all in approach.  This team needs an exorcist on staff.

Edit:
Yes I realize JDR/Shack bought us bad picks but the overall strength of the draft class built the lines and did enough positive overall.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(09-26-2023, 08:19 AM)ATLjag Wrote: I have not been a Baalke basher to date.  However, with hindsight, choosing Travon Walker with the first pick in the draft because of "potential" was not smart.  Unfortunately, Walker is reminding me of Renaldo Wynn, and I just don't see improvement this year.

What's mind boggling is Hutch had potential too.  It's not like Walker was this crazy athlete and Hutch wasn't lol

(09-26-2023, 10:45 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: This team's history is built upon bad drafting, poor talent development, and getting lucky no brainer picks handed to them. When you consider there would be no Freddie T if someone had been willing to pull the trigger on Coughlin's trade approach. Baalke is just the current place holder. Honestly the best GM we had was Shack Harris until Wayne pressured him to win now and give up the draft to go all in on one more SB push.

Pederson is the best Head Coach we have had since the early success of Coughlin and then JDR before the go all in approach.  This team needs an exorcist on staff.

Edit:
Yes I realize JDR/Shack bought us bad picks but the overall strength of the draft class built the lines and did enough positive overall.

I mean, that all makes sense, but...

If the 2022 early draft picks (Walker, Lloyd, Fortner, Muma) ever round into form remotely like the 2021 class (Trevor, Etienne, Campbell, Little, Cisco) then we'll be OK.

That 2021 draft class was more than dumb luck. That's a talented group. 

2022 doesn't not look like it will hit the same mark, but the jury is still out. I know we all want instant gratification, but every single one of those four mentioned from the 2022 class have all showed a slow acclimation to the league. 
Not ideal - I know - but we may yet get some value from the players even if the wait is frustrating. 

2023 class is a total unknown as of now, but the picks from round 2, 3 , and 4 are gonna' need to show something eventually to explain why we didn't address OL, Pass Rush, or nickel.

(09-26-2023, 11:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-26-2023, 10:45 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: This team's history is built upon bad drafting, poor talent development, and getting lucky no brainer picks handed to them. When you consider there would be no Freddie T if someone had been willing to pull the trigger on Coughlin's trade approach. Baalke is just the current place holder. Honestly the best GM we had was Shack Harris until Wayne pressured him to win now and give up the draft to go all in on one more SB push.

Edit:

If the 2022 early draft picks (Walker, Lloyd, Fortner, Muma) ever round into form remotely like the 2021 class (Trevor, Etienne, Campbell, Little, Cisco) then we'll be OK.

2022 doesn't not look like it will hit the same mark, but the jury is still out. I know we all want instant gratification, but every single one of those four mentioned from the 2022 class have all showed a slow acclimation to the league. 
Not ideal - I know - but we may yet get some value from the players even if the wait is frustrating. 

2023 class is a total unknown as of now, but the picks from round 2, 3 , and 4 are gonna' need to show something eventually to explain why we didn't address OL, Pass Rush, or nickel.

We can safely say from his long track record dating to his SF days that he's a bad to mediocre drafter. He'd probably be OK as a pro player personnel manager. Keep him away from the drafting process. I hope Khan lets Doug have a big say in Baalke's replacement. If they miss the playoffs, Baalke must go. It's that simple.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(09-26-2023, 09:40 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-24-2023, 03:57 PM)Jag88 Wrote: It’s the offense. The defense can only do so much without help.

The D went up against backup linemen and registered a whopping zero sacks.

Stroud got the ball out quickly.  But somehow he was sacked 11 times in the first two games.  Then 0 against the Jags.

I've been convinced for a while that the Texans ownership asks the coaching staff to focus on beating the Jags over and above other teams.  The Jags D might not be as good as Indy or Baltimore, but they're not that much worse, to go from 5 sacks to 0 sacks.  It's as if Houston had staff game planning the Jags game during the offseason.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

All that being said, it’s early in the season.

Go jags!

(09-26-2023, 11:20 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(09-26-2023, 11:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I mean, that all makes sense, but...

We can safely say from his long track record dating to his SF days that he's a bad to mediocre drafter. He'd probably be OK as a pro player personnel manager. Keep him away from the drafting process. I hope Khan lets Doug have a big say in Baalke's replacement. If they miss the playoffs, Baalke must go. It's that simple.

That's a fine opinion but the fact of the matter is that the 2021 draft bought him some time whether you want too admit it or not. 

And if Khan and Baalke like the working relationship they have going, that will buy him even more time. 

If those 2022 draftees don't start producing this year, then next season is when his seat MIGHT get warm. 

Long way off.

(09-26-2023, 11:03 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-26-2023, 08:19 AM)ATLjag Wrote: I have not been a Baalke basher to date.  However, with hindsight, choosing Travon Walker with the first pick in the draft because of "potential" was not smart.  Unfortunately, Walker is reminding me of Renaldo Wynn, and I just don't see improvement this year.

What's mind boggling is Hutch had potential too.  It's not like Walker was this crazy athlete and Hutch wasn't lol

Hutchinson was seen to be at his ceiling and results coming from his motor, not his athleticism. Walker was seen as not even touching his potential yet. He has explosiveness that you can't teach. The problem is you actually need to learn how to play the position if your measurables are now matched by the OL.

Walker is just another Taven. Taven had less but he was an idiot. He couldn't learn to do anything but run forward. Walker needs to be learning moves and how to control his body. It's just not that easy though, look at Allen and how he hasn't really taken the jump to great.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

We're three weeks into the season. People need to calm down and have a little patience.
[Image: pqk1i5F.jpg]

(09-27-2023, 02:05 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(09-26-2023, 11:03 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What's mind boggling is Hutch had potential too.  It's not like Walker was this crazy athlete and Hutch wasn't lol

Hutchinson was seen to be at his ceiling and results coming from his motor, not his athleticism. Walker was seen as not even touching his potential yet. He has explosiveness that you can't teach. The problem is you actually need to learn how to play the position if your measurables are now matched by the OL.

Walker is just another Taven. Taven had less but he was an idiot. He couldn't learn to do anything but run forward. Walker needs to be learning moves and how to control his body. It's just not that easy though, look at Allen and how he hasn't really taken the jump to great.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Walker was seen to be at his ceiling by who?  You and the Jags organization?  31 of 32 team would have takenr Hutch over Walker and he wouldn't of went top 2 if it that was the case and been at the top of most boards.  You could absolutely see the athleticism there and if not you were blind.  Not to mention it showed at the combine to confirm it.  He had a better vert, 3 cone, and shuttle than Walker.  Hutch explosiveness is just as good as Travons imo when you see each fire off the snap

The Falcons game will be a bellwether for the remainder of the season. If Doug can’t get the team upright by then, something has gone terribly wrong between the end of last season and the beginning of this one. Whether that’s Press Taylor’s crappy play calling, Doug has started mailing it in, or whatever, something needs to change.

Yeah, yeah, Doug and Press didn’t drop the passes or miss the blocks, yada, yada, yada, but the fact of the matter remains that men paid large salaries and given top talent to forge a team have failed miserably the last two games. That is their job.

All I know is what I see now indicates there is some sort of organizational rot happening and it needs to be excised quickly or it’s going to be another #becausejaguars season.

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2023, 08:50 AM by Hurricane. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-26-2023, 11:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Edit:

Was the draft class really more than dumb luck? That's 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. A decent GM shouldn't have too much trouble finding some starters/at worst, backups. 2 years straight with the #1 pick and somehow our GM couldn't find a "great" player in the whole draft to pick first, instead we got a "decent" player. On top of it, how many players have been drafted and now being used out of position? We haven't benefited from that at all. I'm not a fan of what I've seen from Baalke so far. Its tough to criticize these players for not playing up to their draft spot, but at the same time it isn't even their fault our GM drafted them way too high.

*edit I realize there's going to be picks missed, including #1 picks. Swinging and missing on a QB I totally understand. We went through the QB purgatory for so long, I understand the desperation to try to find the right guy. An edge rusher is probably equivalent for the defense. And we were desperate. Desperate because we needed help and needed now, not a project a couple years down the road.
In Dougie I Trust!