Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
After 3 games, 3 things on O and 3 things on D

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2023, 04:57 PM by Jagulars. Edited 1 time in total.)

Offense:

1. OL: Let's get the obvious out of the way. Injuries and lack of decent depth are hurting the offense so far. Robinson coming back is not going to magically fix the entire line. Robinson is good. Not great. And has been this way for the longest time. Scherff regressed even more from last season. Bartch is not a starter. Fortner has started out bad. I would seriously be looking at FA or a trade to try and make some effort to place a decent patch until the season is over. For Trevor's sake. Next offseason, we could likely see 3 new starters on the OL if it continues to play out like this. 

2. Play-calling: I will not completely wreck on Press Taylor here. There have been some seriously questionable calls that left me scratching my head. But, it's not entirely on him. Players have to make plays too. When the OL is struggling and some playmakers are dropping passed, drawing penalties, and missing assignments. It's an ugly start. Coaches and players need to get on track to fix this or it becomes a long season. 

3. Ridley: This is a double-edged sword. He can ball. No doubt. Today was his ugly game. Since coming here, the whole dynamics of the offense changed a bit. It's more forced to throw him the ball. It shifted the other players around. Kirk, Jones, and Engram. I don't know if this is so much the play-calling or Trevor in some cases. Could be both. Gotta clean this up too. Spread the ball around. Find the mismatches and hit those. Stop forcing it.

Defense:

1. Pass Rush: Where is it? I thought Caldwell had a game plan for this. After the first game, it went on a downfall. DL hasn't been winning their battles much here. Hamilton is missed here. Also doesn't help when the players are not put in the best position to succeed either. Walker needs to stop standing. I'm beginning to consider a full switch to 4-3 again. 

2. Devin Lloyd: After 3 games, I'm a bit disappointed so far. He still seems lost in plays. This guy balled in college. Either he needs to move outside or he just isn't cut to play starter in the coming years.

3. Pass Defense: outside of the KC game, the DBs haven't played that great. Fixing the pass rush can help. Sure. Also, playing against unknowns like Richardson and Stroud could play a role in it too. This is just something to monitor here.

With only 3 games in, this hasn't been too exciting to watch. Some things to fix here and there and this team can be just like most of us had imagined they would turn out to be. I have confidence some or most of these issues will turn around this season. Will the Jags still make the playoffs? Yes.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

ALL true statements

Block. Catch the Ball. Don't fumble.

That's really all that needs to happen for this team to be really good.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-24-2023, 05:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Block. Catch the Ball. Don't fumble.

Three more (four actually) very true statements

(09-24-2023, 04:56 PM)Jagulars Wrote: Offense:

1. OL: Let's get the obvious out of the way. Injuries and lack of decent depth are hurting the offense so far. Robinson coming back is not going to magically fix the entire line. Robinson is good. Not great. And has been this way for the longest time. Scherff regressed even more from last season. Bartch is not a starter. Fortner has started out bad. I would seriously be looking at FA or a trade to try and make some effort to place a decent patch until the season is over. For Trevor's sake. Next offseason, we could likely see 3 new starters on the OL if it continues to play out like this. 

2. Play-calling: I will not completely wreck on Press Taylor here. There have been some seriously questionable calls that left me scratching my head. But, it's not entirely on him. Players have to make plays too. When the OL is struggling and some playmakers are dropping passed, drawing penalties, and missing assignments. It's an ugly start. Coaches and players need to get on track to fix this or it becomes a long season. 

3. Ridley: This is a double-edged sword. He can ball. No doubt. Today was his ugly game. Since coming here, the whole dynamics of the offense changed a bit. It's more forced to throw him the ball. It shifted the other players around. Kirk, Jones, and Engram. I don't know if this is so much the play-calling or Trevor in some cases. Could be both. Gotta clean this up too. Spread the ball around. Find the mismatches and hit those. Stop forcing it.

Defense:

1. Pass Rush: Where is it? I thought Caldwell had a game plan for this. After the first game, it went on a downfall. DL hasn't been winning their battles much here. Hamilton is missed here. Also doesn't help when the players are not put in the best position to succeed either. Walker needs to stop standing. I'm beginning to consider a full switch to 4-3 again. 

2. Devin Lloyd: After 3 games, I'm a bit disappointed so far. He still seems lost in plays. This guy balled in college. Either he needs to move outside or he just isn't cut to play starter in the coming years.

3. Pass Defense: outside of the KC game, the DBs haven't played that great. Fixing the pass rush can help. Sure. Also, playing against unknowns like Richardson and Stroud could play a role in it too. This is just something to monitor here.

With only 3 games in, this hasn't been too exciting to watch. Some things to fix here and there and this team can be just like most of us had imagined they would turn out to be. I have confidence some or most of these issues will turn around this season. Will the Jags still make the playoffs? Yes.

Agree with all this.

3. Ridley -- Even with Atlanta, he was a bit hot and cold. Given this is first season back in a few years it is no surprise that has continued. 

Press/Doug need to impress on Trevor to mix it up and get everyone involved. There are too may pass catchers and options for him to lock onto any one player in any game. He did this last year too a lot where it seemed that each game a different guy would have a great game. It's better overall for every guy to have 50-80 yards.

1/3. Pass Rush/Defense -- I honestly think the PR and coverage plan was designed to work when playing ahead. When playing behind, they have to be worried about so much more variety that it just doesn't allow the athletes on D to just play fast. Issue is that they haven't really been playing from ahead much.

Also a lot of modern day coverage calls predicting and understanding what an offense is going to do with their formations/ pre-snap looks and route patterns. Both Indy and Houston have new QB's and OC's, so there was very little tape on them -- especially compared to normal for a divisional opponent. That can make it hard to predict how the route combinations will work to know who is passing off what to what; and knowing what to make "hot read" wrinkles based on expected offense. Doesn't excuse Caldwell and coaches, but it is somewhat understandable.

2. No matter what, Llyod was a misallocation of resources. I'm hoping he improves, but he won't ever live up to being a 1st round pick. He just doesn't seem have any natural football instincts, or he is not trusting it. Maybe everyone is right about incorrect position, but I'm just not sure. Jags just have horrible luck/scouting at drafting DL and LB's over the last decade except for I guess Yannick, Telvin and D Hamilton. But the first 2 guys apparently didn't have the attitude you want in franchise players. Even Allen hasn't really lived up to his draft position. Maybe they should bite the bullet and try to fill those positions via trade/FA and use the draft resources for other spots.

(09-24-2023, 05:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Block. Catch the Ball. Don't fumble.

Pretty much.

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2023, 06:14 PM by I am Yoda.)

(09-24-2023, 04:56 PM)Jagulars Wrote: Offense:

Defense:

We haven’t been good as a 3-4 defense. But you can’t install a new base defense during the season.

Walker needs to play with his hand in the dirt. Lloyd might be helped by moving the outside. Stop making players play against their natural positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2023, 06:50 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

Agree with all. Per Robinson, the jury is still out on whether we get PED or post-PED talent out of him, IMO.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

The Texans have 12 players on IR. 4 of 5 staring O-linemen were out. 3 of 4 starters in the secondary were out. You can't blame any of this on injuries to just a few players on the Jags side. Bottom line is that they were out-coached, out-played, and out-hearted. Texans wanted the win, Jags were lackluster and didn't have any energy. Help is not on the way.

May as well start calling our receiving corp butterfingers

I hope McManus gets cut. Should have kept Patterson.

Dolphins could put 100 on our defence

(09-25-2023, 05:24 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I hope McManus gets cut. Should have kept Patterson.

Nah, Patterson would've been blocked yesterday too.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato