Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Strength of this team is not the offense. The Defense is our Strength

(10-16-2023, 02:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 02:09 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: Defense wins championships.  Offense gets the glory

This dynamic has changed some over the years - but it still matters. 
You need an offense that can keep up in a shootout sometimes nowadays - but defense can still win big games.

Yea look a Cleveland yesterday.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2023, 05:43 PM by Caldrac.)

(10-16-2023, 04:17 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 03:52 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: The thing that is very difficult to understand (and extremely frustrating) is how some General Managers like T.B. can miss the obvious. No General Managers can hit on 100% of their decisions, but it seems like our guy misses more than most. The same could be said about Caldwell, Gene Smith and Shack Harris. Historically successful organizations like the Patriots, Ravens and Steelers seem to have figured all of this out.

While the interior line is likely going to be a weakness this season, do you believe Cooper Hodges has the potential to land a starting spot when he gets healthy?

I think before the season, the Jags brass saw a starting lineup for the first 4 games of Little-Bartch-Fortner-Scherff-Harrison.  And they thought when Cam came back, we would have a lineup of Robinson-Little-Fortner-Scherff-Harrison.  The assumption was that Scherff would be recovered from the ankle that hampered him last season, Fortner would be stronger and have a year experience, and Bartch was good enough for the first 4 games.  Then Little would slide inside and replace Bartch.  

Knowing what they (and a lot of other people) believed at the time, I don't see anything wrong with that.
I get it from that perspective. However, I think what's bogging everybody down is that they had 13 selections back in April's draft and the brass chose to use just the 27th overall pick and 226th pick to add a starter and depth.

Knowing Cam was suspended. Knowing Ben was coming back from IR since October of last year. Knowing Scherff battled through an ankle and bicep injury all year and is injury prone to begin with.

Then you had other things spring up like Wells injury settlement which was a gamble anyway knowing he finished on IR in Tampa last year and then Shatley's heart situation that came up.

This entire class looks like a massive waste of opportunities. While it's good seeing Strange and Bigsby here and there. We haven't seen anything else really note worthy from this class. Miller on IR. Lacy? Nowhere. Abdullah? Meh. Johnson? Promising maybe. Just getting into action. Washington? Not sure. Braswell and Hallett? The DT? Parish canned from PS today.

Just seems like multiple people dropped the ball in scouting and evaluations with all of those picks. And based on how some of these lineman have played on the team? And graded out? Hell, maybe we could have added a starter or upgrade in RD4 or later.

Time will tell. As it always does. Cheers to optimism.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-16-2023, 04:17 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 03:52 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: The thing that is very difficult to understand (and extremely frustrating) is how some General Managers like T.B. can miss the obvious. No General Managers can hit on 100% of their decisions, but it seems like our guy misses more than most. The same could be said about Caldwell, Gene Smith and Shack Harris. Historically successful organizations like the Patriots, Ravens and Steelers seem to have figured all of this out.

While the interior line is likely going to be a weakness this season, do you believe Cooper Hodges has the potential to land a starting spot when he gets healthy?

I think before the season, the Jags brass saw a starting lineup for the first 4 games of Little-Bartch-Fortner-Scherff-Harrison.  And they thought when Cam came back, we would have a lineup of Robinson-Little-Fortner-Scherff-Harrison.  The assumption was that Scherff would be recovered from the ankle that hampered him last season, Fortner would be stronger and have a year experience, and Bartch was good enough for the first 4 games.  Then Little would slide inside and replace Bartch.  

Knowing what they (and a lot of other people) believed at the time, I don't see anything wrong with that.

I think Fortner and Shatley playing like crap last year + ending the season 28th in pass block win rate and 30th in run Blk win rate  + Scherff basically staying injured for half of his career were REALLY good reasons to see plenty wrong with that.
 Especially when they spent a third on a spell-back and a fourth round pick on a LB while we have Chad Muma backing up two stud linebackers. 

That was unwise use of capital and poor foresight.

(10-15-2023, 07:48 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I told you all before season started offensse would,be disappointing and to watch out for the Teal of doom. No one wanted to believe me.

I wanted to believe.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(10-16-2023, 05:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 04:17 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think before the season, the Jags brass saw a starting lineup for the first 4 games of Little-Bartch-Fortner-Scherff-Harrison.  And they thought when Cam came back, we would have a lineup of Robinson-Little-Fortner-Scherff-Harrison.  The assumption was that Scherff would be recovered from the ankle that hampered him last season, Fortner would be stronger and have a year experience, and Bartch was good enough for the first 4 games.  Then Little would slide inside and replace Bartch.  

I think Fortner and Shatley playing like crap last year + ending the season 28th in pass block win rate and 30th in run Blk win rate  + Scherff basically staying injured for half of his career were REALLY good reasons to see plenty wrong with that.
 Especially when they spent a third on a spell-back and a fourth round pick on a LB while we have Chad Muma backing up two stud linebackers. 

That was unwise use of capital and poor foresight.
You and Caldrac said it well; the "braintrust" failed to maximize the potential value of having so many picks. Harrison was the correct pick and I expect Antonio Johnson and Cooper Hodges to eventually become starters and valuable replacements for Jenkins and Scherff respectively (salary cap moves). Unfortunately, the team decided to utilize picks 2, 3 and 4 on players (positions) that were not priorities such as interior line, pass rush and nickel. Baalke indicated that he made trade offers to move up in rounds 2 and possibly 3, but the teams refused to deal with him. We'll never know for sure what was offered, but my guess is that he could have made it happen if he offered just slightly more. Had the Jaguars come out of the draft with Harrison, Cyrus O'Torrence, Clark Phillips, Johnson and Hodges my guess is most fans would have been ecstatic. Instead, they selected 3 players who presented little value when taken. Strange is likely to get the most playing time of the three, but his lack of speed will limit his upside in the receiving game. It would surprise me if more than one of the remaining picks ever becomes much more than a special teams player, although I hope Yasir Abdullah proves me wrong and becomes one of the few undersized college pass rushers to succeed in the NFL. If he does, the 2023 draft grade would improve significantly.

(10-16-2023, 02:58 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 02:01 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: I agree with the old John Madden saying, "it all starts up front"

I agree the OL needs to be fixed but do not think that is going to happen this season. Barring a trade this team is stuck with this line. I say to focus more on the run so our QB can last this season.

ETN is that type of runner. He is not your 5 yards a carry back. He is that 2 yard, 3 yard, 1 yard, then 25 yard explosive type of back. There are times that he is at error on why run plays get blown up. There were times Sunday if he hit the hole hard and fast it would of been there but he kinda waited and got caught up in the backfield. It's a give/take thing.

But more times than not, there were defenders in the backfield too quickly for plays to develop. 80% O line, 20% ETN.

this right here.

that immediate penetration is a big problem. Looked like our guys were shedding blocks early to get to next level, or not even blocking the first level.

(10-16-2023, 05:41 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 04:17 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think before the season, the Jags brass saw a starting lineup for the first 4 games of Little-Bartch-Fortner-Scherff-Harrison.  And they thought when Cam came back, we would have a lineup of Robinson-Little-Fortner-Scherff-Harrison.  The assumption was that Scherff would be recovered from the ankle that hampered him last season, Fortner would be stronger and have a year experience, and Bartch was good enough for the first 4 games.  Then Little would slide inside and replace Bartch.  

I get it from that perspective. However, I think what's bogging everybody down is that they had 13 selections back in April's draft and the brass chose to use just the 27th overall pick and 226th pick to add a starter and depth.

Knowing Cam was suspended. Knowing Ben was coming back from IR since October of last year. Knowing Scherff battled through an ankle and bicep injury all year and is injury prone to begin with.

Then you had other things spring up like Wells injury settlement which was a gamble anyway knowing he finished on IR in Tampa last year and then Shatley's heart situation that came up.

This entire class looks like a massive waste of opportunities. While it's good seeing Strange and Bigsby here and there. We haven't seen anything else really note worthy from this class. Miller on IR. Lacy? Nowhere. Abdullah? Meh. Johnson? Promising maybe. Just getting into action. Washington? Not sure. Braswell and Hallett? The DT? Parish canned from PS today.

Just seems like multiple people dropped the ball in scouting and evaluations with all of those picks. And based on how some of these lineman have played on the team? And graded out? Hell, maybe we could have added a starter or upgrade in RD4 or later.

Time will tell. As it always does. Cheers to optimism.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I agree with the early sentiments here but I have this feeling that April's darft was not about this season, or even next, for that matter.

Now in two years, if those guys are scrubs, we wasted a ton of opportunity. I certainly would have liked to see more effort to improve or plan for the future w/r/t interior line, but given that we have two mid-round picks on rookie deals and a high-priced FA at the three spots, I do understand why they would want to see what they got or use resources elsewhere to get guys ready to replace the guys we know we either won't be able to afford or want to find cheaper options to replace.

I just hope we don't paint ourselves into a corner and end up looking to inside line help in a weak year at that position. Usually seems to be the way it falls.

(10-16-2023, 10:21 PM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF_Jaguars/status/1...4096420172

He should make a terrific coach as well once he's done playing if he can teach and transfer even 50% of his tackling skills to his players.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Yes! This team reminds me of 2007 so much. Game manager QB, insanely good run game and a surprisingly good defense with a questionable pass rush at times.

(10-17-2023, 06:08 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Yes! This team reminds me of 2007 so much. Game manager QB, insanely good run game and a surprisingly good defense with a questionable pass rush at times.

Yea but Lawrence is miles better than Leftwich or Garrard.

(10-17-2023, 06:08 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Yes! This team reminds me of 2007 so much. Game manager QB, insanely good run game and a surprisingly good defense with a questionable pass rush at times.

game manager

[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2023, 06:39 PM by Thewitnessofsolinvictus. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-17-2023, 06:08 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:  Game manager QB

MIND YOUR TONGUE AND BEND YOUR KNEE

Fan since '95 calls this one a game manager.
[BLEEP] OUTTA HERE

This dude really just said game manager QB LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

(10-17-2023, 07:49 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

This dude really just said game manager QB LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Bannable offense in my opinion
No Fun

[Image: giphy.gif]
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

trollllolololololol

Well played, sir.  You put years and years into blending in as a fan and regular here with over 5,000 posts only to turn troll as you had planned all along.  Dedicated to craft for sure.