Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wildcat on Third and Short

We all know this team has struggled to run the ball and short yard situation’s. What do you think about a wildcat style office for those running plays with a direct snap to ETN? Seems like that style of Smash Mouth was working for the Saints when it mattered. What do you guys think?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-20-2023, 08:15 AM)Newton Wrote: We all know this team has struggled to run the ball and short yard situation’s. What do you think about a wildcat style office for those running plays with a direct snap to ETN? Seems like that style of Smash Mouth was working for the Saints when it mattered. What do you guys think?
They (Saints) lined a DT up at FB at times to get rushing yards on us. Not sure why we can't do the same with Bigsby and Strange to throw lead blocks.

Running it out of the gun on 4th and inches pisses me off. Knowing that our interior is piss poor to begin with.

Why give them more time to get pushed back or thrown off balance?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I think it would work.

(10-20-2023, 08:15 AM)Newton Wrote: We all know this team has struggled to run the ball and short yard situation’s. What do you think about a wildcat style office for those running plays with a direct snap to ETN? Seems like that style of Smash Mouth was working for the Saints when it mattered. What do you guys think?

Don't get fancy. We had negative push on that short yardage stuff. They did not.

I don't want shotgun snaps to a guy who's not used to taking snaps nor do I want to put that same guy under center for the exchange. That's just inviting a costly mistake.

Plain and simple, we ain't got the guys that are gonna get you a foot and a half on 4th down. We're gonna have to find a way around that if we want to convert more consistently.

I could be wrong, but on that 4th it looked like someone squeezed out of the pile and broke for the sideline, if Trevor held the ball on that play it may have been an easy conversion.

I wonder if Engram could be that tough, short yardage guy whether it’s in wildcat or not? Hill’s value is that he is strong and hard to bring down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]

We just aren't getting push with our IOL to earn short yardage the traditional ways.

I believe our best short yard plays so far have been outside runs behind a pulling guard and TE and shallow passes out of bunch formation that are almost pick plays.

I don't think there is an easy solution.
Our RB coach is big on "patience to the hole" so I'm not sure we're going to see them stop running out of shotgun.
The staff seems to view it much more positively than fans.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2023, 10:51 AM by Caldrac.)

(10-20-2023, 10:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: We just aren't getting push with our IOL to earn short yardage the traditional ways.

I believe our best short yard plays so far have been outside runs behind a pulling guard and TE and shallow passes out of bunch formation that are almost pick plays.

Our RB coach is big on "patience to the hole" so I'm not sure we're going to see them stop running out of shotgun.
I saw that and have called for more of it. Again, what's the point of drafting a TE/H-Back and a short yardage back in RD2 and RD3 if you can't use them on 4th and inches situation wise?

It's infuriating man. You're talking about a fanbase that grew up on Means, Taylor, Mack, Jones, Jones-Drew, etc. 4th and inches or less was an automatic back in the day.

It's confusing. Then, same game. You see the Saints go heavy at FB with a DT and Hill in the wildcat and it was good enough to get them back in the game late.

This team makes the easy stuff look difficult and the difficult stuff look easy. It's scary. At some point, they will hit their stride and I can't wait. But, damn, it feels like it's taking awfully too long.

Reminder. Saints were also down two offensive tackles and they did enough to get it done when they needed it on the ground. No excuses.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-20-2023, 10:51 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-20-2023, 10:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: We just aren't getting push with our IOL to earn short yardage the traditional ways.

I saw that and have called for more of it. Again, what's the point of drafting a TE/H-Back and a short yardage back in RD2 and RD3 if you can't use them on 4th and inches situation wise?

It's infuriating man. You're talking about a fanbase that grew up on Means, Taylor, Mack, Jones, Jones-Drew, etc. 4th and inches or less was an automatic back in the day.

It's confusing. Then, same game. You see the Saints go heavy at FB with a DT and Hill in the wildcat and it was good enough to get them back in the game late.

This team makes the easy stuff look difficult and the difficult stuff look easy. It's scary. At some point, they will hit their stride and I can't wait. But, damn, it feels like it's taking awfully too long.

Reminder. Saints were also down two offensive tackles and they did enough to get it done when they needed it on the ground. No excuses.

Go back and look at old clips, Means, Taylor etc had at least creases in the line they could exploit. ETN actually does well when he has one up the middle. When he hits a wall of bodies, not so much. In fact the same thing was true for the Saints last night.  On that 4 and 1 last night the play was dead before TL handed off. I suspect if TL was in a bit better health he would have pulled it and gone wide himself.

At first on the heavy wildcat the Saints went wide each time until the Jags set the edge, they then cut inside. Pretty basic but requires the blocker and back to be on the same page.  This worked against a gassed defense in the fourth quarter....
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(10-20-2023, 10:51 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Reminder. Saints were also down two offensive tackles and they did enough to get it done when they needed it on the ground. No excuses.

I'd argue that short yardage is won or lost on the interior; having backups on the ends probably isn't as detrimental when the goal is to move the pile a few feet.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2023, 11:56 AM by Caldrac.)

(10-20-2023, 11:40 AM)Jag149 Wrote:
(10-20-2023, 10:51 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I saw that and have called for more of it. Again, what's the point of drafting a TE/H-Back and a short yardage back in RD2 and RD3 if you can't use them on 4th and inches situation wise?

Go back and look at old clips, Means, Taylor etc had at least creases in the line they could exploit. ETN actually does well when he has one up the middle. When he hits a wall of bodies, not so much. In fact the same thing was true for the Saints last night.  On that 4 and 1 last night the play was dead before TL handed off. I suspect if TL was in a bit better health he would have pulled it and gone wide himself.

At first on the heavy wildcat the Saints went wide each time until the Jags set the edge, they then cut inside. Pretty basic but requires the blocker and back to be on the same page.  This worked against a gassed defense in the fourth quarter....
Again. Goes back to my earlier points. If you cannot create the creases within the interior three on their own? Create them then by incorporating a lead blocker and pulling blocker.

Defeats the purpose of drafting guys like Strange and Bigsby if you cannot use them for those specific reasons. Nobody is asking these guys to jam their hands up Trevor's butt crack and push him into a 1st down like the Eagles do with Hurts.

There has to be something this coaching staff can do better to be more effective in those situations because they keep getting into them damn near every game and they keep doing the same nonsense.

I know it should naturally improve as Robinson continues to shake the rust off, Little returns from injury and Scherff heals up more but the lack of overall personnel designs and variety in those specific situations is aggravating.

Have to do what you do better. They probably should have gone 4 wide or something. This team in its current configuration isn't picking up a yard.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I just cannot get my mind around lining up in the shotgun on 4th and inches.

(10-20-2023, 12:14 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: I just cannot get my mind around lining up in the shotgun on 4th and inches.

No one can.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(10-20-2023, 08:23 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
They (Saints) lined a DT up at FB at times to get rushing yards on us. Not sure why we can't do the same with Bigsby and Strange to throw lead blocks.

Running it out of the gun on 4th and inches pisses me off. Knowing that our interior is piss poor to begin with.

I about went full [BLEEP] when they did this. I don't know why they keep doing this when it's obvious it doesn't work. My husband even commented on it.

Yeah it seems like some creativity is needed here. The direct snap allowing for an extra blocker seems like it’s worth a look to me.

(10-20-2023, 12:14 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: I just cannot get my mind around lining up in the shotgun on 4th and inches.

Putting 16 in the gun with a hurt knee makes a lot of sense

keep him out of traffic with a week IOL

When he's healthy - they need to find ways to make up for the lack of interior push with Trev under center and a lead blocker clearing a path for the back

(10-20-2023, 03:46 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Putting 16 in the gun with a hurt knee makes a lot of sense

keep him out of traffic with a week IOL

When he's healthy - they need to find ways to make up for the lack of interior push with Trev under center and a lead blocker clearing a path for the back
Lawrence undercenter with a split backfield could be a good start. Set the edge with Strange. Use motion. Get creative. You can always give him two or three options.

Go out undercenter in a split backfield. See something different? Motion Etienne, Hasty or Bigsby out and drop back into the gun, etc.

Would like to see a little more movement and creativity out there in those situations.

I'd rather them line up in a more traditional Power I formation... Trevor under center, Bigsby at FB, ETN behind him. Lots of options from this. Run, PA, pass, toss, FB run, QB sneak, etc. Personally think this is better than any wildcat or Shotgun run formation the Jags can currently employ.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

(10-20-2023, 08:23 AM)Caldrac Wrote:

Me too.  I cannot image the mindset of hey we need a foot for the 1st down, let’s back this up 4 yards.  It shows zero confidence in the Oline while giving the defence every advantage.  I get it Trevor was in a brace but we have done this several times this year.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Just wanted to point out that despite people complaining about end-arounds, Agnew usage, + all of the short yardage shotgun runs...

The first drive of the game was capped off by an end around to Jamal Agnew who nearly scored from 15 yards out and then ETN ran in for the score on a shotgun handoff behind Shatley/Robinson blocks.
*shrug*

So... you know - grain of salt and all. Not waiving off the complaints, just adding perspective here.

I'm kind of taking the approach of trying to trust this staff to figure out how to get the most out of this offense while still not exposing TL to injury too much at this point.
We can all come up with stuff that we think might work better here and there, but when these guys execute their assignments well - the calls being made work.

The run game and deep passing game are where we see the OL deficiencies having negative impact. And there isn't much to be done about [BLEEP] until Little is back out there. The all 22 reveals the offense getting the TEs very involved in run blocking - so it isn't like they aren't trying to help manufacture some seams for the backs. It just isn't always enough.

Trevor's best game throwing beyond the sticks came hand in hand with him taking some really hard hits and I think we all know that isn't sustainable for an entire season.