Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Left Guard

Clearly there is potential that Joeckel won't last the season at the position if he doesn't shape up. 

Reed, Shatley and Bernedeau are options.  Geoff Schwartz was released by the lions today also. 

I'm sure we'll see an O-Lineman drafted before round three next year, but until then, how would you fix it? 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If Schwartz is healthy I would take a hard look.

Dave Birkett ‏@davebirkett  5h

5 hours ago

<p style="font-size:16px;">The Lions are releasing OG Geoff Schwartz today. Schwartz is healthy, just got caught in a numbers game in Detroit.

It might be wise to carefully scout the league to see how has legit competition at G where the loser has the potential of being released. I recall every time, at least during the final cuts, that good G's are cut all over due to the numbers game that every team faces.

'02

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/davebirkett'>Dave Birkett@davebirkett </a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/770275890320125952'>5h</a>
<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/770275890320125952'>5 hours ago</a>

The Lions are releasing OG Geoff Schwartz today. Schwartz is healthy, just got caught in a numbers game in Detroit.

Yes please.

Quote: 

Dave Birkett ‏@davebirkett  5h

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">5 hours ago

<p style="font-size:16px;">The Lions are releasing OG Geoff Schwartz today. Schwartz is healthy, just got caught in a numbers game in Detroit.

</div>

I hadn't even read this when I posted above, but case in point.

'02

We may see Joekel improve as the season wears on, or he may just flame out. in any case, you need a contingency plan. Schwartz is at least experienced there, take a look and see how he'd fit. 

Schwartz is healthy for now, but the dude gets hurt so much. The guy couldn't finish his dinner, let alone a full NFL season

Quote:We may see Joekel improve as the season wears on, or he may just flame out. in any case, you need a contingency plan. Schwartz is at least experienced there, take a look and see how he'd fit. 

We need immediate improvement at the position.

All you need to do is take a look at the mentions regarding Schwartz to realize he may not be that easy to sign. Seems like a lot of teams could use an upgrade at Guard.

Quote:All you need to do is take a look at the mentions regarding Schwartz to realize he may not be that easy to sign. Seems like a lot of teams could use an upgrade at Guard.

We have more money than most teams.

Quote:We have more money than most teams.
But I wouldn't over pay for his services. I rather have a backup start over Joeckle until he gets his strength up to stand and block later in the season. He is not ready to start at guard at all. He was being bullied almost every play and we need Blake to have the best protection this season for the offense to flourish.

Quote:But I wouldn't over pay for his services. I rather have a backup start over Joeckle until he gets his strength up to stand and block later in the season. He is not ready to start at guard at all. He was being bullied almost every play and we need Blake to have the best protection this season for the offense to flourish.

If we sign another LG he will start over Joeckel all season. Then Joeckel will leave as a FA.

Quote:If we sign another LG he will start over Joeckel all season. Then Joeckel will leave as a FA.

But Joeckel could still be a backup LT or Guard. If Beachum was to go down Joeckel would be our best bet. I would sit Joeckel to clean up his play for a few weeks and start Reed or Bernedeau.

Quote:If we sign another LG he will start over Joeckel all season. Then Joeckel will leave as a FA.

This much is certainly possible, and would simply mean that our backup LG/OT has a $6.75 mil cap hit.

'02

Quote:Schwartz is healthy for now, but the dude gets hurt so much. The guy couldn't finish his dinner, let alone a full NFL season

Geoff Schwartz is certainly more healthy at this time than when his last 2 seasons came to an end.   However,  Schwartz didn't play in the last 2 pre-season games and missed some practice time during the period.   He apparently has been dealing with a minor injury that Jim " See the Injury Report when we release it "  Caldwell as expected refused to discuss.   

Schwartz'  performance at RG in the first pre-season at Pittsburgh wasn't good.    The bright spot for the team that signs him is it won't cost much,  as Schwartz signed an NFL Veteran Minimum Deal with the Lions back in the Spring.  

If Luke Joeckel can't hold on to a starting job this season,  the chances of the Jaguars even wanting him back next season are low at best.    A change of scenery in 2017,  if not before,  is probably best for both parties. 

He can't be that much in demand if he signed for the veteran's minimum not too long ago. He'd be a solid signing.

Quote:He can't be that much in demand if he signed for the veteran's minimum not too long ago. He'd be a solid signing.

An X factor now compared to back in the Spring is there are less viable options on the open market now.   That might increase the demand for Geoff Schwartz'  services to at least some extent.   However,  the game tape from the Steelers game and Schwartz not playing in the last two pre-season games doesn't help his cause.  

Quick passes or the RB has to stay in to block until we draft or sign another starting caliber O-Lineman.