Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Left Guard

Quote:  If Luke Joeckel can't hold on to a starting job this season, the chances of the Jaguars even wanting him back next season are low at best.  A change of scenery in 2017, if not before, is probably best for both parties. 

Definitely. Some of Gene Smith's draft picks have become successful/ on other teams after seeming to be busts In Jacksonville (Rashad Jennings, Blaine Gabbert, and Reggie Nelson). I don't know if that was on Dave Caldwell/s mind when he elected to not exercise his fifth year option on Luke Joeckel, but it is possible. I think by making that choice, he was admitting his first-ever pick as a GM was a mistake.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Definitely. Some of Gene Smith's draft picks have become successful/ on other teams after seeming to be busts In Jacksonville (Rashad Jennings, Blaine Gabbert, and Reggie Nelson). I don't know if that was on Dave Caldwell/s mind when he elected to not exercise his fifth year option on Luke Joeckel, but it is possible. I think by making that choice, he was admitting his first-ever pick as a GM was a mistake.

For a 7th Round pick,  Rashad Jennings gave the Jaguars good value.   I agree the others you mentioned Gene Smith drafted were busts.

My take on the decision not to exercise the 5th year option on Luke Joeckel is it's a combination of Joeckel not coming close to living up to expectations and trying to set a fire under him to get the most out of Joeckel this season.   

Quote: For a 7th Round pick,  Rashad Jennings gave the Jaguars good value.   I agree the others you mentioned Gene Smith drafted were busts.

My take on the decision not to exercise the 5th year option on Luke Joeckel is it's a combination of Joeckel not coming close to living up to expectations and trying to set a fire under him to get the most out of Joeckel this season.   

I was just thinking about how Rashad Jennings became a full-time starter with the Giants.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2016, 09:52 PM by rollerjag.)

Was Joeckel that bad Sunday night? I just re-watched every snap in which he played guard. On the Atkins bull rush where he bowled Luke over, it looks like Luke tripped over Linder's foot. Boselli noted this on Jaguars Monday, but I don't have access to the All 22 to confirm. There were two other rushes from Atkins that got a good push on Joeckel, but Blake had time to get the pass off. On the stretch play where Atkins blew past Luke, Luke immediately went after a LB, making me wonder about blocking assignments. Atkins switched sides for a few plays and gave Cann just as much trouble. Eventually Atkins was double teamed on either side. Against the other Bengal DLinemen played well, at times even above average.

What I saw was a decent effort from a guy not only playing guard against first teamers for the first time in live action, but also between a new C and LT. Against Gino Freakin' Atkins.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Yes, Luke Joeckel really was that bad. What I saw was a lack of effort on plays when he did not get knocked down. It was like Sam Young vs. J.J. Watt.

Quote:I was just thinking about how Rashad Jennings became a full-time starter with the Giants.
Yeah I wonder why the Giants have not moved on from him yet. I mean I guess he has done fine for being a RBBC player really but still. 1500 yards and 7 TDs in two seasons is horrible if you view it without the RBBC tho.

Quote:Yeah I wonder why the Giants have not moved on from him yet. I mean I guess he has done fine for being a RBBC player really but still. 1500 yards and 7 TDs in two seasons is horrible if you view it without the RBBC tho.

What is an RBBC?

Quote:Definitely. Some of Gene Smith's draft picks have become successful/ on other teams after seeming to be busts In Jacksonville (Rashad Jennings, Blaine Gabbert, and Reggie Nelson). I don't know if that was on Dave Caldwell/s mind when he elected to not exercise his fifth year option on Luke Joeckel, but it is possible. I think by making that choice, he was admitting his first-ever pick as a GM was a mistake.

Reggie Nelson was a Shack Harris pick.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:What is an RBBC?
Running Back By Committee, meaning he typically still shares the backfield with other RBs during the regular season.

He does have 500 yards or so receiving as well so he does get multiple roles in their system but still doesnt really amount to all that great but like D6 pointed out for a 7th rounder it isnt bad.

Quote:Running Back By Committee, meaning he typically still shares the backfield with other RBs during the regular season.

He does have 500 yards or so receiving as well so he does get multiple roles in their system but still doesnt really amount to all that great but like D6 pointed out for a 7th rounder it isnt bad.

No it's not bad. My point was he never would have had a chance to do that well in Jacksonville.

Where's Will Rackley at

The Lions traded for draft bust Brandon Thomas in order to cut Schwartz. I'm fine with kicking the tires on Schwartz, but that's a really bad sign. 

Quote:Was Joeckel that bad Sunday night? I just re-watched every snap in which he played guard. On the Atkins bull rush where he bowled Luke over, it looks like Luke tripped over Linder's foot. Boselli noted this on Jaguars Monday, but I don't have access to the All 22 to confirm. There were two other rushes from Atkins that got a good push on Joeckel, but Blake had time to get the pass off. On the stretch play where Atkins blew past Luke, Luke immediately went after a LB, making me wonder about blocking assignments. Atkins switched sides for a few plays and gave Cann just as much trouble. Eventually Atkins was double teamed on either side. Against the other Bengal DLinemen played well, at times even above average.

What I saw was a decent effort from a guy not only playing guard against first teamers for the first time in live action, but also between a new C and LT. Against Gino Freakin' Atkins.
Everybody just loves to hate Joeckel and are making this out to be FAR more than what it really is.

Most of the people here obviously have no clue who Geno Atkins really is. The guy is arguably the best DT in football. If he didn't tear his ACL (or was it an achilles injury? one or the other, I can't remember for sure and too lazy to look it up) towards the end of the 2013 season, even the most casual fan would know who he is.

The guy is an absolute freak and its took a little time coming back from the injury, but he looks like he's right back to being his old self. He abuses literally everybody when he's healthy.

Joeckel may not be the long term answer, but him being abused by Geno Atkins should be everybody's very last worry right now. Geno does that to everybody, let alone a guy who has never played Guard in his entire life.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2016, 11:11 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Yes, Luke Joeckel really was that bad. What I saw was a lack of effort on plays when he did not get knocked down. It was like Sam Young vs. J.J. Watt.

He only got knocked down one one play, in which he may have been tripped by the center. When facing any lineman not named Atkins he did well. That same Geno Atkins also blew through Cann and eventually drew double teams.

Lack of effort? Did you concentrate on Luke every play? He's not perfect, but he's playing hard.
- Bob Marley

Quote:He only got knocked down one one play, in which he may have been tripped by the center. When facing any lineman not named Atkins he did well. That same Geno Atkins also blew through Cann and eventually drew double teams.

Lack of effort? Did you concentrate on Luke every play? He's not perfect, but he's playing hard.

Luke was knocked down twice IIRC. I saw a guy wearing #76 not trying to push Geno back. It was bad.

Quote:Was Joeckel that bad Sunday night? I just re-watched every snap in which he played guard. On the Atkins bull rush where he bowled Luke over, it looks like Luke tripped over Linder's foot. Boselli noted this on Jaguars Monday, but I don't have access to the All 22 to confirm. There were two other rushes from Atkins that got a good push on Joeckel, but Blake had time to get the pass off. On the stretch play where Atkins blew past Luke, Luke immediately went after a LB, making me wonder about blocking assignments. Atkins switched sides for a few plays and gave Cann just as much trouble. Eventually Atkins was double teamed on either side. Against the other Bengal DLinemen played well, at times even above average.

My dad and I both had the same reaction to that play. It looks like Luke is sorta passing him off to Linder.

That's it! Cut Brandon Linder NOW!

The game is coming on NFL Network in about two hours, and I intend to keep a rather close eye on Joekel to see if he was truly as bad as has been reported, or if some of these later posts are more accurate. I figure he must have struggled a bit just given his post-game reaction where he was talking about how he needs to improve at G.

'02

Joekel was not bad for his first start at G. You can tell he is hesitant and has some work, but overall not bad.

The play that everyone keeps bringing up, he was engaged with Atkins and tripped over Linder's leg. Other than that one particular moment, he blocked Atkin's and everyone else just fine. In fact, Atkins moved over to the other side of the line where he continued to abuse Cann and even pushed by Parnell. This board just loves to hate on the kid. Yet, nobody is screaming about Beachum's two whiffs, poor run blocking, and false start.

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Quote:Luke was knocked down twice IIRC. I saw a guy wearing #76 not trying to push Geno back. It was bad.

You recall incorrectly, and if you saw anything indicating Luke was not trying you merely saw what you wanted to see.

- Bob Marley