Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Left Guard

Quote:Joekel was not bad for his first start at G. You can tell he is hesitant and has some work, but overall not bad.

The play that everyone keeps bringing up, he was engaged with Atkins and tripped over Linder's leg. Other than that one particular moment, he blocked Atkin's and everyone else just fine. In fact, Atkins moved over to the other side of the line where he continued to abuse Cann and even pushed by Parnell. This board just loves to hate on the kid. Yet, nobody is screaming about Beachum's two whiffs, poor run blocking, and false start.

I just watched this play last night and am not buying the Linder excuse. I'm not saying LInder's foot wasn't there, but that's not why he fell down. Atkins blew him up.

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I just watched this play last night and am not buying the Linder excuse. I'm not saying LInder's foot wasn't there, but that's not why he fell down. Atkins blew him up.
Atkins got push just like he does on everyone, but you may want to watch again if you think he wasn't tripped up before setting his feet.

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Quote:Joekel was not bad for his first start at G. You can tell he is hesitant and has some work, but overall not bad.

The play that everyone keeps bringing up, he was engaged with Atkins and tripped over Linder's leg. Other than that one particular moment, he blocked Atkin's and everyone else just fine. In fact, Atkins moved over to the other side of the line where he continued to abuse Cann and even pushed by Parnell. This board just loves to hate on the kid. Yet, nobody is screaming about Beachum's two whiffs, poor run blocking, and false start.

I know Geno Atkins is a very good player. I also know something is wrong if a player is not putting forth the effort to push him back. Perhaps Luke Joeckel is just not strong enough for Atkins, but that will be a problem against other DTs.

Quote:Atkins got push just like he does on everyone, but you may want to watch again if you think he wasn't tripped up before setting his feet.

For one it wasn't just "push." When a guy is tripped he tends to fall down, but Joeckel appeared to be violently thrown to the turf. Now, Linder might have tripped him up and made it even worse, but that at most was only part of it. As I said, Atkins blew him up.

'02

Quote:For one it wasn't just "push." When a guy is tripped he tends to fall down, but Joeckel appeared to be violently thrown to the turf. Now, Linder might have tripped him up and made it even worse, but that at most was only part of it. As I said, Atkins blew him up.
  :whistling:  Okay you're right, Joeckel stinks because he can't block a 300 pound lineman while one leg is kicked out from under him.

[Image: trip.jpg]

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I can't tell from that picture how Joeckel got tripped up by Linder's foot.

Quote:I can't tell from that picture how Joeckel got tripped up by Linder's foot.

If you look very closely at Joeckel's right foot it appears to be on top of Linder's left foot (I think).

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

I still think that Joke is going to be good enough at LG.  It's still a position of need but I'm not super concerned about it. 

A lineup of Beachum, Joke, Linder, Cann, Parnell is better than what we played with last year.

Luke and Gus are in the same boat..

Im not big on Joeckel, but lets see him in a few more games before we start getting the pitchforks out for him at LG. He went up against arguably the most dominant DT in the game on Sunday. It wasnt pretty but he showed some good thingd at LG in camp if i remember right. Theres no one else there that is that much better if at all anyway. May as well take the guy that we spent a high pick on and hope the light turns on.

Quote: Im not big on Joeckel, but lets see him in a few more games before we start getting the pitchforks out for him at LG. He went up against arguably the most dominant DT in the game on Sunday. It wasnt pretty but he showed some good things at LG in camp if i remember right. Theres no one else there that is that much better if at all anyway. May as well take the guy that we spent a high pick on and hope the light turns on.

Yes - He looked good at LG in the scrimmage.  Better than just "solid."  

Quote:If you look very closely at Joeckel's right foot it appears to be on top of Linder's left foot (I think).

You are correct.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:You are correct.

Yep. I see that too. 

Quote:For one it wasn't just "push." When a guy is tripped he tends to fall down, but Joeckel appeared to be violently thrown to the turf. Now, Linder might have tripped him up and made it even worse, but that at most was only part of it. As I said, Atkins blew him up.

There is another play, against a different DT, where Luke puts his right foot back to brace against a straight ahead bull rush. It's that exact movement he was prevented from doing when he got tangled with Linder's foot. That's why he went on his butt so abruptly and made the play look so much worse than it actually was.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">Star DT Geno Atkins looks to be in regular-season form

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">Atkins played very well in this one, pancaking LG Luke Joeckel at 13:42 of the first quarter (with a helpful trip from the center) to land a hit on QB Blake Bortles.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-cin...guars-win/

LOL at "helpful trip from center." If Joeckel's foot was on top of Linder's, wouldn't that mean he helped himself fall backward?

Quote:LOL at "helpful trip from center." If Joeckel's foot was on top of Linder's, wouldn't that mean he helped himself fall backward?

It's not tough to understand.  Think about it.

If a  very strong 300+ pound man is pushing you backward and you step on anything other than solid ground... you are toast. 

Maybe we look at John Sullivan. Very good C if he's healthy (which he supposedly is), hasn't played guard before but surely could transition. 

Surely the better situation would be Sullivan at Center, Beachum at LT and move Linder back to Guard?

You'd think but they seem extremely dead set on Linder being our C.