Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Julius Thomas

Quote:Actually, and this pains me to say (considering I am the founder of the Marcedes Lewis anti-fanclub Est. 2010) but I think Marcedes offers more as a straight up red zone target. Sure he can't run, but he can post up in the endzone and is willing to be physical with DBs.

So does Thomas give us something that Marcedes doesn't?

Or, are we following the trend of using 2 pass catching TEs?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2016, 02:08 PM by badger.)

like he said, JT has speed.  however, i dont see his speed as really game-changing.  it's an asset, yes.  it's just not that big of a deal when you cant do everything else.

im of the opinion that it doesn't really take very long to figure out who has real talent.  Julius Thomas is not going to suddenly figure out how to play this game at an elite level.  he's going to catch some balls here and there and help us marginally.  it is what it is.

his big year in Denver was a product of one of the best QBs of ALL TIME distributing the ball.  JT simply isn't as good as those numbers would suggest.

Quote:So does Thomas give us something that Marcedes doesn't?

Or, are we following the trend of using 2 pass catching TEs?

I think Thomas does a good job of finding gaps in zones and using his speed to get open against mismatches. If he is open, he does a pretty good job of reeling the ball in. Where he fails, is any time he is challenged by a defender or a throw that is not right on his mitts. I would just really like to see him play like he is 6'5" 260. Attack the ball. Body up against a defender. Make himself big.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2016, 02:24 PM by badger.)

bottom line: i have yet to see Julius Thomas do something I haven't already seen other tight ends do for us in the past. he is not special.

JT is talented. Effort, No. We often see Hurns, Robinson and others made efforts to fight for the ball, not JT. He has to be open and the ball has to be on his way (catchable). For that JT will do his job but will never be an elite TE.

I'm surprised by his hands the most. I think he'll be ok and should be productive, but the hands and not fighting for the ball like the one last night, is the things that's a bit dissapointing. I guess we've gotten used to ARob and Hurns, but still.....

Quote:Okkkkkkkkkkkkay.

Player performances cannot be judged via preseason, huh?
There's a lot of evaluation going on by the coaching staff on younger unproven players. The pro-bowl TE has only had 3 targets for a reason. 

They know what they'e got there.  

Quote:There's a lot of evaluation going on by the coaching staff on younger unproven players. The pro-bowl TE has only had 3 targets for a reason. 

They know what they'e got there.  

So then the coaches are satisfied that Thomas' lackadaisical effort has cost the team 2 TDs out of those three targets?

Quote:So then the coaches are satisfied that Thomas' lackadaisical effort has cost the team 2 TDs out of those three targets?
They better not be.  Im sure he got an earful, I just don't see any tragedy here.  I think the coaches know what he's capable of and he'll be held accountable to produce when the score matters. 

I'm just expressing confidence in a guy and I think altering my opinion on him based off of this preseason would end up being proven a fool's errand. 

Obviously, you may be right to sound the alarm, I just haven't seen enough to agree. 

Quote:They better not be.  Im sure he got an earful, I just don't see any tragedy here.  I think the coaches know what he's capable of and he'll be help accountable to produce when the score matters. 

I'm just expressing confidence in a guy and I think altering my opinion on him based off of this preseason would end up being proven a fool's errand. 

Obviously, you may be right to sound the alarm, I just haven't seen enough to agree. 

Fair enough

Quote:What does he do well?  Honestly... what is it that he is REALLY GOOD at?

Blocking? No not his strong suit, but he'll block

Catching the ball?  Not really his hands are fine... a preseason drop changes nothing

Fighting for the ball? Guess not not during the preseason

Fast? Not that I can tell. he's actually one of the faster TEs in the league

Agile? Does not appear to be. he's a TE ...name me an agile TE

??? anyone?

'02

I agree with NYC4jags here.  

It may be alarm time but I'm willing to go with the fact that it is preseason and everyone played bad yesterday.

Maybe it is wishful thinking but I suspect that they will be getting him involved more this season but have decided not to put that on film for opponents until the games matter.

Quote:He runs well and has good size. 

My problem is he seems to have a bit of that patented Luke Joekel sawftness. Does not body up, does not fight for ball, and does not catch the ball exceptionally well.

I'm not ready to cut the guy. I think he will be good running up the seem, particularly as ARob attracts double coverage. I just don't think he is the red zone target we all hoped for.

Actually, and this pains me to say (considering I am the founder of the Marcedes Lewis anti-fanclub Est. 2010) but I think Marcedes offers more as a straight up red zone target. Sure he can't run, but he can post up in the endzone and is willing to be physical with DBs.

Marcedes has become an ideal red zone target much like Ben Coates back in the day. I agree with you there as Julius is more of a between-the-twenties TE where he has room to run.

I wouldn't make too much of a drop or two in the preseason. From what I saw last year, he did a great job catching the ball even with a stiff finger. We're talking about a 2x pro bowler, so please temper your preseason expectations for him. His main job this preseason is to not get injured.

'02

Quote:Julius made 3 or 4 plays in the red zone last season that ol waffle iron hands could only make in his wildest dreams.

Then again, Marcedes might have had a couple more if Blake was able to throw a better fade pass.

'02

Quote:I think Thomas does a good job of finding gaps in zones and using his speed to get open against mismatches. If he is open, he does a pretty good job of reeling the ball in. Where he fails, is any time he is challenged by a defender or a throw that is not right on his mitts. I would just really like to see him play like he is 6'5" 260. Attack the ball. Body up against a defender. Make himself big.

He might not "attack the ball" when it's not on target like Allen Robinson. Maybe Peyton spoiled him a little, but he expects an on-target throw. That said, he most definitely bodies up against defenders to make himself big. That's precisely what he does best. I've seen him look covered, but when the ball is there he's able to position is body in a manner that largely negates whatever LB or DB is covering him. I really feel it's more a matter of him not desiring to go out of his way in the preseason. He'll show up when it counts.

'02

Quote:bottom line: i have yet to see Julius Thomas do something I haven't already seen other tight ends do for us in the past. he is not special.

He catches a lot more passes than most tight ends we have had in the past.

Let's watch some JT highlights since we seem to forget some of his capabilities.

https://youtu.be/PEu3iO_EQ28
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Let's watch some JT highlights since we seem to forget some of his capabilities.

I think people chose to believe from the beginning JT is not very good just because Peyton Manning was his QB.

Quote:Let's watch some JT highlights since we seem to forget some of his capabilities.

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://youtu.be/PEu3iO_EQ28'>https://youtu.be/PEu3iO_EQ28</a>

46 million dollars should buy us a highlight reel that consists of more than 4 touchdown catches and be longer than a minute and 6 seconds

Just sayin

Quote:46 million dollars should buy us a highlight reel that consists of more than 4 touchdown catches and be longer than a minute and 6 seconds

Just sayin

True. But let's keep in mind he missed the first 6 games last year.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."