Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Path to the One Seed

After tonight's loss to the Eagles, it's all tied up at 2nd after Baltimore, with 4 teams tied at 7-3. We're 1 game back

The Jaguars are close to being in full control of their path to the one seed. Beat Baltimore/Houston and all you need is KC to slip one more time. Our schedule is incredibly favorable moving forward due to injuries to our opponents. The remaining games are as follows:

HOU

CIN

CLE

BAL

TB

CAR

TEN

The only up in the air game is the Ravens and Texans, the rest are very winnable and "should win" isn't a stretch for those other games.

If we can find a way to beat both Baltimore and Houston, LOOK OUT! It's a full on race to the 1 seed. The only help we need is KC to lose 1 game to either Buffalo or any AFC team and the Jaguars will be the 1 seed in the AFC. It's crazy to think 48 months ago we were in the mud, on our way to a 1st overall pick with a lame duck, loser HC. We're now in serious contention for the 1st seed in the AFC. LFG!!!!!!!!!!!

TLDR - Run the table and hope KC loses to Buffalo and we're the one seed, pretty flippin' awesome! Cool

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I STG if we get the 1 seed and lose to the Texans this week and then end up losing to them in the playofs like the titans way back when ima cry.

There's also a chance we get buried after losing in Houston and find ourselves in a scramble to make it as a Wild Card team. Houston may be that team no one wants to play in January but we gotta win this division and push for home field advantage. That is crucial in the playoffs and has been KC's edge the last several years. I don't see any team with an "easy" schedule. Baltimore still has to play the 49ers and the Steelers again, as well as the Dolphins. Case and point, winning is incredibly helpful at this point and losing is going to leave you behind.

Every team can win or lose in pro football. The Texans found out when they lost to Carolina.

The Chiefs have 1 game against a team with a winning record (Bills) and that game is in Arrowhead.

It’s very unlikely that they lose another game. Obviously anything is possible but their schedule is very easy.

One game at a time. I wouldn't get my hopes up though. The Chiefs will figure out a way to do what they do best and that's win when it matters the most. We're still needing to get through this Sunday more than anything. Getting a two game leg up on the tinhorns and splitting the series with them is absolutely imperative. We cannot have anymore clunkers along the way with seven weeks left. Need their absolute best on offense.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Yeah, not banking on a run of the table. Just like the team, take what they give you and work with it. So long as we stay healthy odds are we'll be in the tournament. From there, anything can happen.

Houston are playing well right now but I don't see them as a big threat in the AFC. They have a favourable schedule but the pressure will be on them soon.

I think the #1 seed is unlikely but that was never the target. Getting to the playoffs was and we have a number of ways to do it. Buffalo look the biggest threat from the 'in the hunt' teams but their next 3 games are @Eagles, @Chiefs, Dallas so they have a big mountain to climb. 

The main thing is it is in our hands, we control our destiny and that's what you want. Will we win out the rest of the season? Probably not but we've put ourselves in a strong position for January football and I feel confident if that means going on the road at some point.

[Image: just-win-baby-al-davis.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 11-21-2023, 10:05 AM by Caldrac.)

I honestly think it doesn't matter who makes the Superbowl from the AFC this year. Every offense has been very Jekyll and Hyde.

Defensively I think the 49ers are poised to break an offense in half on the big stage in February. The Eagles also find ways to get it done on both sides.

I honestly feel like we might see one of those lopsided beatdowns in the Superbowl. Similar to that Seattle Vs. Denver game where it was over before halftime.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Crazy how the sentiment swings week to week. Last week we were a fraud and now this week we're in the running for the 1 seed. Truth is somewhere in between. Agreed that Texans and Ravens are the two most difficult games remaining based on current level of play. Don't sleep on Bengals, Browns, and Bucs though. We don't play our A game we could easily lose any of those. By the time we get to Carolina/Titans, those two teams may be mailing it in. Although you have to know the Titans would love to play spoiler if that game matters for us. I'd love to have a playoff bid locked up before then.

Going undefeated is unrealistic. We just don't play well consistently enough. If we went 6-1 with wins over Hou and Bal, then the #1 seed is still in play. But I think this is also unrealistic. Personally I think we should be thrilled if we go 3-1 over our next four games. But 2-2 is not only realistic but may be the most likely scenario. But as others have said the Houston game will determine our expectations. Win that game and the AFC South should be ours. Lose that game, we're still in a good spot for the playoffs, but 10 or 11 wins is likely our ceiling. (as a side note, since they expanded to 14 teams in the playoffs, every team with 10 or more wins has made it. Small sample size of course but even a disappointing 3-4 to finish the season will likely be good enough for us to make the playoffs).

The Chiefs showed their vulnerabilities again last night. Looks like Mahomes has no faith in his receivers due to their multiple drops and even Kelce had a few drops (to the chagrin of all the Swifties). It is possible the Bills can upset them, but still highly unlikely. At this point, the 49er's and Eagles are the best two teams with Baltimore slightly behind due to loss of Andrews. Agree with Caldrac that the Super Bowl could be very one-sided unless Mahomes' receivers figure out how to catch the ball. This week's game against the Texans will decide how far the Jaguars can go. A win would certainly give hope that they can still make it to Las Vegas, while a loss likely makes them one and done in the playoffs.

(11-21-2023, 09:50 AM)Mikey Wrote: Yeah, not banking on a run of the table. Just like the team, take what they give you and work with it. So long as we stay healthy odds are we'll be in the tournament. From there, anything can happen.

If Trevor didn't play like he did this last Sunday I'd agree. I think his hand, or in his case his arm, is getting hot. I think if we beat Houston and Baltimore, we run the table. 

Kansas City looked rough last night, their WRs are bad, and Kelce is starting to show his age. I don't think the LAC/Denver or Buffalo games are easy outs for them. This is the only reason I made the post, I think they're vulnerable and our best football is ahead of us.

(11-21-2023, 11:26 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(11-21-2023, 09:50 AM)Mikey Wrote: Yeah, not banking on a run of the table. Just like the team, take what they give you and work with it. So long as we stay healthy odds are we'll be in the tournament. From there, anything can happen.

If Trevor didn't play like he did this last Sunday I'd agree. I think his hand, or in his case his arm, is getting hot. I think if we beat Houston and Baltimore, we run the table. 

Kansas City looked rough last night, their WRs are bad, and Kelce is starting to show his age. I don't think the LAC/Denver or Buffalo games are easy outs for them. This is the only reason I made the post, I think they're vulnerable and our best football is ahead of us.

This may just be a one off for them if they can fix that personnel issue this offseason, so we need to strike while they're hobbled.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-21-2023, 10:05 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I honestly think it doesn't matter who makes the Superbowl from the AFC this year. Every offense has been very Jekyll and Hyde.

Defensively I think the 49ers are poised to break an offense in half on the big stage in February. The Eagles also find ways to get it done on both sides.

I honestly feel like we might see one of those lopsided beatdowns in the Superbowl. Similar to that Seattle Vs. Denver game where it was over before halftime.

I think you are underestimating KCs defense.  They kind of remind me of the Patriots when there were certain times when Brady was off, their defense was always there to keep things close 

On a side note, I'd love to see another SF v Dallas playoff matchup.  That may be my fav rivalry at this point in time.

We may just skirt in on the wildcard come end of the season, considering our schedule, but we are gonna be a scary team to face for anyone.

(11-21-2023, 02:22 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(11-21-2023, 10:05 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I honestly think it doesn't matter who makes the Superbowl from the AFC this year. Every offense has been very Jekyll and Hyde.

I think you are underestimating KCs defense.  They kind of remind me of the Patriots when there were certain times when Brady was off, their defense was always there to keep things close 

On a side note, I'd love to see another SF v Dallas playoff matchup.  That may be my fav rivalry at this point in time.

I think it'll be San Francisco in Philadelphia again for the NFC Championship game. 

I think it'll be Jacksonville in Kansas City for the AFC Championship game. 

I think both games can go either way. I think either team can get it done. 

When I look at the NFC. The Eagles and 49ers are the best overall teams. Detroit makes for a good story. I just think they'll be out matched at some point by the Eagles or 49ers in the post season. 

The NFC South will have an interesting team make the play-off's but won't really be good enough to challenge anybody beyond their first match-up. 

When I look at the AFC. It's wide open. Kansas City is inconsistent. Probably the most inconsistent football team Andy Reid has had their in Kansas City. At least offensively. I agree with you regarding their defense. They're keeping them alive. Much like our defense has done this year for our team. 

I think the AFC East is turning into the NFC South team wise. They'll end up getting a team in the post season but they won't push very far. Due to challenges offensively and injuries defensively. Miami has yet to beat any team above .500. Baltimore has a scary defense, but, what's more scary? Jackson's 1 - 3 play-off record. 

Lamar plays like an MVP... until it really matters. I could see them being one and done in the post season. The rest of the wildcard teams will be interesting. Not sure about Pittsburgh now. Not sure about Cleveland now. Buffalo doesn't concern me as much anymore. 

This really is the year to strike it rich with our football team. You have to figure out a way to win out and run the table. [BLEEP] around and get inside the Championship game with this team? Who knows. Doug will do anything he can to win those games. We know he will play call wise.

(11-21-2023, 02:22 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

The Jags OL was pillaged by Karlaftis and Jones earlier this season and they made it very difficult for Trevor to operate. 

As things stand - it is hard for me to imagine that will not be difficult to overcome again the next time around. 
They may not be as stout as the niners front - but they made our protection look terrible in a similar fashion.

(11-21-2023, 08:21 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: The Chiefs have 1 game against a team with a winning record (Bills) and that game is in Arrowhead.

It’s very unlikely that they lose another game. Obviously anything is possible but their schedule is very easy.

Yep, the commercial the NFL cooked up joking that the game is rigged is gaslighting at its finest. The NFL is indeed rigged for the new Brady/Golden Boy Mahomes to make it to the Super Bowl.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We would probably have to win all the games or only lose 1 to maybe get the #1 seed.