Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Secondary

Trying to cool off after the embarrassment we put on display last night, one facet of the team I have been really impressed with is the secondary. House and Ramsey havent even been thrown to to my knowledge and Gipson hasnt had a lot of work due to the corners playing so well. The linebackers have been torched but the secondary especially Ramsey and House have been great. Prince has done alright as well outside of the PI call. Really impressed with this group.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I always liked Davon House except the one game DeAndre Hopkins burned him all day. He is not a great CB, but usually good enough.

Has appeared to be tight coverage throughout the preseason.  The middle of the field tends to be the spot to throw to for most teams in the nfl these days.  Picks and option routes are so common you can expect to be beat there by scheme alone.  Its nice to see us holding our own on the outside where we have struggled in the past.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:I always liked Davon House except the one game DeAndre Hopkins burned him all day. He is not a great CB, but usually good enough.

He basically just burned him in the final quarter, House held his own until then.  He is a good CB.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:He basically just burned him in the final quarter, House held his own until then.  He is a good CB.

The easiest part to remember is often the worst.

The corners have looked very good. The two plays that stuck out to me last night were the two screen plays the Bengals ran. Evans on one of them, and Cyprien on the other. Their recognition skills and awareness are atrocious. I would give them a zero awareness if this were Madden. Not to mention, why was Evans even out there? Is there anyone more important to protect on the defense than Gipson? If he goes down, the entire secondary will be exposed.

Outside of Cyp still struggling the secondary is tight.

If the pass rush ever gets going they'll have some good shots at turnovers.

Quote:The corners have looked very good. The two plays that stuck out to me last night were the two screen plays the Bengals ran. Evans on one of them, and Cyprien on the other. Their recognition skills and awareness are atrocious. I would give them a zero awareness if this were Madden. Not to mention, why was Evans even out there? Is there anyone more important to protect on the defense than Gipson? If he goes down, the entire secondary will be exposed.

Josh Evans is probably playing for his job. He could be on the cut block tomorrow.

Quote:Josh Evans is probably playing for his job. He could be on the cut block tomorrow.
I am with you on that, but he was out there on the very first drive for the Bengals. The play in specific is the touchdown the Bengals scored on. Just was very weird to see him on the field at that moment. 

Quote:I am with you on that, but he was out there on the very first drive for the Bengals. The play in specific is the touchdown the Bengals scored on. Just was very weird to see him on the field at that moment.

He took a laughably bad angle on that TD play. Ran straight to where Bernard was when he caught the ball and ended up running straight into a blocker.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:I am with you on that, but he was out there on the very first drive for the Bengals. The play in specific is the touchdown the Bengals scored on. Just was very weird to see him on the field at that moment. 

Yeah, I don't know why Josh Evans started at safety. But Gus Bradley should have prevented the situation by challenging Yeldon's fumble.

We need to keep in mind that preseason is still used for evaluation. They said prior to the game that they wanted to see some guys out there that wouldn't normally get first team reps to see how they handle it. Ash was out there too and he's a guy who's squarely on the chopping block.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Outside of Cyp still struggling the secondary is tight.

If the pass rush ever gets going they'll have some good shots at turnovers.

I think corner depth is a real concern.

Otherwise, I like the safety positions and the CB starters/top of the depth chart (Ramsey, Colvin, House, Prince.)

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:We need to keep in mind that preseason is still used for evaluation. They said prior to the game that they wanted to see some guys out there that wouldn't normally get first team reps to see how they handle it. Ash was out there too and he's a guy who's squarely on the chopping block.
You are right. It is about letting the bubble guys state their case. On that note, thought Josh Johnson had another good game. McCray got beat bad, but maybe it was a push off. 

Quote:You are right. It is about letting the bubble guys state their case. On that note, thought Josh Johnson had another good game. McCray got beat bad, but maybe it was a push off. 

Got beat REALLY bad.  Has not been a good preseason at all for him.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I think corner depth is a real concern.

Otherwise, I like the safety positions and the CB starters/top of the depth chart (Ramsey, Colvin, House, Prince.)

Colvin is not a starter and will be away from the team until Week 5.

Quote:I think corner depth is a real concern.

I can't disagree, but having Amukamara around helps that situation and (gulp) Dwayne Gratz has actually looked solid this offseason.

As purely a depth guy, he'll be fine IF he plays the same way when his number is called in reg. season.  (hopefully we don't have to see that)

Quote:Yeah, I don't know why Josh Evans started at safety. But Gus Bradley should have prevented the situation by challenging Yeldon's fumble.

It was 100% def a fumble. No discussion.

The only thing that concerns me about the secondary is still the lack of int's by the db group as a whole. It has been too long. The starters I am talking about. I realize pass rush can be an issue there.

Quote:He basically just burned him in the final quarter, House held his own until then.  He is a good CB.
Hopkins also pushed off a lot and was never flagged for it. 

Quote:It was 100% def a fumble. No discussion.

The only thing that concerns me about the secondary is still the lack of int's by the db group as a whole. It has been too long. The starters I am talking about. I realize pass rush can be an issue there.

I remember everyone was saying that is a big reason we need to improve our pass rush - to help defensive backs create turnovers. But regardless of that, we need depth in the secondary.