Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Geoff Schwartz

Sign him, LJ to the bench.  Please!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Can we claim him?

Quote:Can we claim him?

He'll be a vested veteran or whatever the term is so probably not.

I was banging the drum for Matt Slauson 2 months ago, so I will go ahead and do the same for Schwartz. If Dave doesn't get Geoff Schwartz down to Jacksonville I will not be a happy camper.

There is ZERO downside.

Eh, he'll sign with the Patriots.

The only thing I don't like is he's a journeyman who's on the wrong side of 30 and hes had some injury issues lately. If we sign him, and yea I kinda hope they do because we need a LG badly, I just hate the idea of cutting another player who is probably younger and worked all through camp with the team for a guy who's not gonna be around long, was just cut, and has an injury list.

Sign him immediately. HIGH SCORE you actually agree with me more than you bring on. I started that Slauson thread wanting Dave to sign him.

Whats the downside, hes an upgrade over The Joke.

Quote:The only thing I don't like is he's a journeyman who's on the wrong side of 30 and hes had some injury issues lately. If we sign him, and yea I kinda hope they do because we need a LG badly, I just hate the idea of cutting another player who is probably younger and worked all through camp with the team for a guy who's not gonna be around long, was just cut, and has an injury list.

After not having a good game as a backup RG in the pre-season opener in Pittsburgh,  Geoff Schwartz didn't play in the last two games.    He apparently has been dealing with a minor injury but has been able to practice at least to some extent on some days.   Jim Caldwell is very secretive when it comes to short term injuries.     That much more in training camp and the pre-season when teams don't have to file injury reports with the NFL.

The Lions acquired backup G Brandon Thomas from the 49ers yesterday for WR Jeremy Kerley,  who probably wasn't going to make the opening day 53 man roster.    This decision made Schwartz'  situation with the Lions that much more cloudy.    Even after the Steelers game,   I didn't envision a scenario in which Schwartz would get cut this summer.    Things changed dramatically over the last 2 weeks.  

I'm not sure how much Schwartz has left in the tank.   Being that he signed an NFL Veteran Minimum Contract with the Lions a few weeks before the draft,   he's not going to count much on the salary cap if the Jaguars elect to sign him.     The point you brought up though about the opportunity cost of Schwartz vs.  a younger/ more upside player on the Jaguars roster is a good one.   It certainly should be weighed into the equation before a decision is made whether to offer him a contract. 

Gotta think the Colts would overpay for him. Desperate

Quote:Gotta think the Colts would overpay for him. Desperate

Another potential added benefit for the Colts is much like with RB Stevan Ridley,  who they signed yesterday after he was released by the Lions a few days ago,  Geoff Schwartz can provide them additional information about the Lions.   The Colts host the Lions in the regular season opener on September 11.    

We're not rebuilding anymore. The Joke is a disaster at LG and everyone behind him are just guys. Bring him in for the year as a stop gap and draft his replacement.

Someone write a letter. we need him.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend