Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Carolina

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2023, 03:42 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 2 times in total.)

They're a mess obviously.  Strong belief among fans that Tepper stepped in and directed the trade up to 1 to select Bryce Young over the GM and HC Frank Reich potentially preferring Stroud.  Another report was Reich was directed from ownership to change up the play calling to suit Bryce Young more and declined to do so resulting in his dismissal.  This would seem to line up with the idea that Tepper directed the selection of Young.

First, I don't have too much pity for that franchise.  I'm not walking around with a strong hatred for them, but I do remember when Jacksonville was awarded a franchise after Carolina and some negative opinions about Jacksonville coming out of Carolina media.  So, at best, I'm strongly indifferent toward that franchise and their fans.

Second, poor Frank Reich.  Tepper might be one of the worst owners in football given his short tumultuous history.  He reminds me of Dan Snyder a little, though will be difficult even for him to reach that low in the barrel.  Frank got canned last year by one of the worst owners in football in Jim Irsay, who was meddling in personnel decisions and was just canned in Carolina by Tepper, who sounds like he was also meddling in personnel decisions.  Reich may not get another shot, but as far as prior two time head coaches go I'd be more willing to give him a 3rd shot than most others with that track record given who he had to work under.

Third, can Bryce Young ascend to Stroud's level next year?  I know the book isn't written on either yet.  I think tinhorn fans think they're closer to the promised land than they actually are, personally.  That's less an indictment on their team and more a commentary about being behind us not only in talent, but in playoff experience as well.  But no doubt, Stroud is head and shoulders above all other rookie QBs at this time.  Making the post season this year for them would go a long way toward closing that gap somewhat even if they wind up as an early bounce.  It will be difficult for them to make it as there are several good teams fighting for the 6th and 7th seeds.  A lot of football left to play though.  Back to Young, I haven't watched any of him this year, so I have no real opinion on him.

Thoughts on these or other subtopics for this franchise?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2023, 04:09 PM by I am Yoda.)

(11-29-2023, 03:37 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: They're a mess obviously.  Strong belief among fans that Tepper stepped in and directed the trade up to 1 to select Bryce Young over the GM and HC Frank Reich potentially preferring Stroud.  Another report was Reich was directed from ownership to change up the play calling to suit Bryce Young more and declined to do so resulting in his dismissal.  This would seem to line up with the idea that Tepper directed the selection of Young.

First, I don't have too much pity for that franchise.  I'm not walking around with a strong hatred for them, but I do remember when Jacksonville was awarded a franchise after Carolina and some negative opinions about Jacksonville coming out of Carolina media.  So, at best, I'm strongly indifferent toward that franchise and their fans.

Second, poor Frank Reich.  Tepper might be one of the worst owners in football given his short tumultuous history.  He reminds me of Dan Snyder a little, though will be difficult even for him to reach that low in the barrel.  Frank got canned last year by one of the worst owners in football in Jim Irsay, who was meddling in personnel decisions and was just canned in Carolina by Tepper, who sounds like he was also meddling in personnel decisions.  Reich may not get another shot, but as far as prior two time head coaches go I'd be more willing to give him a 3rd shot than most others with that track record given who he had to work under.

Third, can Bryce Young ascend to Stroud's level next year?  I know the book isn't written on either yet.  I think tinhorn fans think they're closer to the promised land than they actually are, personally.  That's less an indictment on their team and more a commentary about being behind us not only in talent, but in playoff experience as well.  But no doubt, Stroud is head and shoulders above all other rookie QBs at this time.  Making the post season this year for them would go a long way toward closing that gap somewhat even if they wind up as an early bounce.  It will be difficult for them to make it as there are several good teams fighting for the 6th and 7th seeds.  A lot of football left to play though.  Back to Young, I haven't watched any of him this year, so I have no real opinion on him.

Tepper is a Jerry Jones wannabe. Except Jerry is a better businessman and a better football guy. (Not saying Jerry is the equal to most GMs. But 35 years experience goes a long way.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
The team will only go as far as the quality of the offensive line.

(11-29-2023, 04:08 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(11-29-2023, 03:37 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: They're a mess obviously.  Strong belief among fans that Tepper stepped in and directed the trade up to 1 to select Bryce Young over the GM and HC Frank Reich potentially preferring Stroud.  Another report was Reich was directed from ownership to change up the play calling to suit Bryce Young more and declined to do so resulting in his dismissal.  This would seem to line up with the idea that Tepper directed the selection of Young.

Tepper is a Jerry Jones wannabe. Except Jerry is a better businessman and a better football guy. (Not saying Jerry is the equal to most GMs. But 35 years experience goes a long way.)

I have no love for the Cowboys, but I do like Jerry Jones.  The difference is they don't hire some puppet GM and then continually go around them.  He and his son are the GM.  He may make bad decisions from time to time, but it's his team.  You could say the same for any owner, but I just don't respect an owner who hires a GM and coach and continually steps in to direct them how to do their jobs ala Irsay, Snyder and now Tepper.

Will Brinson clobbers David Tepper-

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/frank...ger-issue/

Tepper hung everybody out to dry today though. Saw a video circulating where he said they thought the tinhorns were going to draft Bryce Young all along, they wanted Stroud the whole time, they then all universally decided that Young was the next best bet.

Young's probably going to have a very steep, uphill battle to climb, just like Tua Tagovailoa did when he entered the NFL. His frame hurts him. I haven't seen him live too many times but he has virtually nothing to work with around him.

His best receiving option was traded to Chicago to ultimately get him in the deal for Carolina. Thielen is doing a good job as a veteran but a lot of that seems like it's mop up duty stuff or short stuff being allowed by the defense to keep the game moving to some extent.

Not sure how the defense looks or how the offensive line peforms but it's pretty obvious the talent around him is not there right now. They're entering the draft next year completely depleted with options as well. They really did this kid no favors.

Best bet, in my opinion, is, you stick with an offensive minded coach and coaching staff. You find a head coaching candidate that is willing to also call the plays offensively. I would take a gamble on two guys just like that right now that could possibly work some magic with Young in year two.

1. Kellen Moore
2. Eric Bieniemy

I think those are probably your two best bets right now. Biniemy is making Howell look somewhat competent in just one year there with the Commanders and he's called some pretty good games offensively. Kellen's worked with Dallas and Prescott and worked under ownership similar to Tepper more than likely. He's now working with Herbert and the Chargers, again surrounded by a questionable owner and a really dimwit of a head coach in Staley.

So, that's the route to go in my opinion. Don't make the mistake Chicago did. Don't go out and hire a defensive minded coach to head coach your team that was heavily invested in the QB position to begin with. What the tinhorns have in Ryan and Stroud is a freak of nature event. You don't see that very often and if it's not already been said to that poor kid in Carolina? Don't worry about chasing Stroud's ghost. You're Bryce Young. You be Bryce Young.

But, give him a chance I think with an offensive minded coach that heads the team and calls the offense, hope that individual is good at finding a strong defensive minded staff to shore up that side for them so they can absolutely focus and maximize the investments made for Young. The NFC South is truly weak man. You have a 5 - 6 divisional leader right now. A team that finishes with 7 or 8 wins will have the 4th seed in the NFC.

They could very easily be a winning team next year if they just hire the right guy.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

If we think our Oline is sketchy giving TLaw time to throw the ball just watch a Carolina game. They have no protection for Young and he's on the smaller side for a QB. I honestly don't know how he's still playing at this point in the season as much as he gets hit. I truly feel for the guy. I can't imagine what his mindset is.

He might recover after a craptastic rookie season if they get a solid head coach, OC and QB coach who can work with his strengths and get an Oline to protect him. Minimum. Otherwise he's going to have a short career in the NFL.

The trade capital given up for Young could be franchise crippling. Add on Young’s smaller frame it could legit set the Panthers back a decade. On paper: a receiver corps of Thielen/Chark/Shinault/Marshall doesn’t look terrible. Just like TEs Hurts/Thomas/Tremble and RBs Hubbard/Sanders should be passable…the problem is protection and NO ONE is living up to potential. Blowing that much draft capital on an undersized QB who isn’t a generational talent just sucks all the way around.

I have to chuckle at the fact it’s Carolina though. Everyone talks about how much more successful Carolina has been over Jax, however over the past 29 seasons: Carolina has an all time record of 213-247-1. Jacksonville has an all time record of 194-264-0. Over 29 seasons the Panthers are 19 wins better. Less than a win a season better. Crazy.

I for one am excited about Jacksonvilles future with Pederson/Lawrence. Carolina has no hope with Young/whoever the new coach is.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(11-29-2023, 04:22 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Will Brinson clobbers David Tepper- 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/frank...ger-issue/

Scathing. 

(That article needs some serious editing.)

I don't feel too bad for Reich. He's supposedly a good OC guy, but the roster is poop and butt in Charlotte. He tried, they stank; he relented and gave the reins to his OC for a week or two, and almost immediately took control back; that's gotta be overwhelming for a young kid trying to learn or relearn a playbook, develop familiarity and rhythm with the coaching style, and still trying to survive with little help around him. Reich made some pretty good cash this year and last, so he'll be OK. Even if he doesn't get another immediate hire at the top, he'll have a chance to end up somewhere as an OC. Vacancies tend to occur on successful teams whose assistants get called up. Heck, he could end up back in Buffalo now that Dorsey got canned. Not a bad deal.

Tepper is going to have to learn that he's the bankroll and little else. Hire your guys, and let them do their thing. Owners that like to assert their will on the franchise end up proving their inability to run their franchise. See also Mike Brown, Jimmy Haslam, and even Jerry Jones. Patience is important. If you have a history of failing to give coaches a chance to make their plan work, ain't nobody gonna want to take your job. 

As to Young, I have a feeling he and Fields are doomed to the same trajectory - there may be talent in there, but getting it out is going to be the challenge. Neither team is built, and they are left to try to carry mediocre players to decency. Neither will be Zach Wilson levels of bad as a pro, but I don't see them ever being dominant guys. At the present state of the NFCS, though, if they could build a support system around him, they should be able to compete. Time is of the essence, though - ATL and TB won't roll with subpar QBs for long.

Cam Newton apparently said Tepper wants to hire Belichick.

As for Bryce, I feel like he's in a "Trevor with Urban" type situation. Just an absolute dumpster fire around him to truly see what he's capable of. It will be interesting to see how he does with a new staff
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2023, 01:34 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-30-2023, 01:18 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Cam Newton apparently said Tepper wants to hire Belichick.

As for Bryce, I feel like he's in a "Trevor with Urban" type situation. Just an absolute dumpster fire around him to truly see what he's capable of. It will be interesting to see how he does with a new staff

I don't know if I agree with the "Trevor with Urban" sentiment. Frank Reich was a relatively decent coach for the clots. Fell a little short here and there in the division. Was stuck with Irsay chasing the ghost of Andrew Luck and trying to constantly plug and play with veteran QB after veteran QB. 

I think Frank got a really raw deal there. Just like he did in Carolina. Tepper is the problem there. Since 2018 he's now fired a coach or something to that effect every year or every other year. The dumpster fire around him is unfortunately owned and manufactured by the guy throwing gasoline, trash and matches into it. 

Belichick in Carolina seems bad as well. If anything? Bill's now been exposed for three things. 

1. He's shown he cannot get it done without Tom Brady. 

2. He's a horrible general manager, especially when it comes to finding skill position talent when it's needed the most. 

3. He's a revolving door creator with his coordinator's and coaching staff. 

I think Kraft is going to stick it out with him though. There's nobody out there that's going to have the legacy or chops to maybe fix or rebuild the [BLEEP] show that Belichick's brought upon himself there in New England. 

I wouldn't want to work with Tepper though. The next coach is also FORCED to work with Bryce Young. This is very quickly going to turn into two things:

1. Chicago / Arizona
2. Jacksonville / Miami

All starts with the right hire. I doubt he would come back from retirement, but, Bruce Arians would probably fix that [BLEEP] show in a year or two. Probably the only man that would flat out tell Tepper to shut the hell up, let him cook in the back and keep his [BLEEP] outside entertaining customers on the floor.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-30-2023, 01:18 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Cam Newton apparently said Tepper wants to hire Belichick.

I could see Belichick working at Carolina if he could keep Tepper at arm’s length. If so, he might be able to turn their fortunes around. However, I believe it would turn into a contest of the immovable object versus the unstoppable force.

(11-30-2023, 01:34 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

I don't know if I agree with the "Trevor with Urban" sentiment. Frank Reich was a relatively decent coach for the clots. Fell a little short here and there in the division. Was stuck with Irsay chasing the ghost of Andrew Luck and trying to constantly plug and play with veteran QB after veteran QB. 

I think Frank got a really raw deal there. Just like he did in Carolina. Tepper is the problem there. Since 2018 he's now fired a coach or something to that effect every year or every other year. The dumpster fire around him is unfortunately owned and manufactured by the guy throwing gasoline, trash and matches into it. 

Belichick in Carolina seems bad as well. If anything? Bill's now been exposed for three things. 

2. He's a horrible general manager, especially when it comes to finding skill position talent when it's needed the most. 

I think Kraft is going to stick it out with him though. There's nobody out there that's going to have the legacy or chops to maybe fix or rebuild the [BLEEP] show that Belichick's brought upon himself there in New England. 

I wouldn't want to work with Tepper though. The next coach is also FORCED to work with Bryce Young. This is very quickly going to turn into two things:

1. Chicago / Arizona
2. Jacksonville / Miami

All starts with the right hire. I doubt he would come back from retirement, but, Bruce Arians would probably fix that [BLEEP] show in a year or two. Probably the only man that would flat out tell Tepper to shut the hell up, let him cook in the back and keep his [BLEEP] outside entertaining customers on the floor.

[Image: giphy.gif]
The team will only go as far as the quality of the offensive line.

Carolina just claimed Shaq Griffin off waivers as the Texans waived him this week. We already had low expectations for the rest of the year for Carolina, but Holy [BLEEP]! Someone should tell them they don't have a 1st round pick next year. No need to try harder to lose.

Wow, didn't even see he was waived. Carolina is where old piss-poor Jags go to fade into the woodwork. They got Shenault, Griffin, Henderson. I don't have the heart to lump Chark in with that bunch, but he's there, too. Poor dude.

(12-01-2023, 09:54 AM)Mikey Wrote: Wow, didn't even see he was waived. Carolina is where old piss-poor Jags go to fade into the woodwork. They got Shenault, Griffin, Henderson. I don't have the heart to lump Chark in with that bunch, but he's there, too. Poor dude.

That's pretty bad if they're taking old Jaguars castoffs.

Reich could end up here as an assistant, but I think he's pretty well suited to become the next Washington coach once they fire Riverboat Ron. He's familiar with the NFC East from being in Philly and he's got the right offensive style to play in that division.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

They need a good draft or 2 to get back into it. They aren’t as bad as it looks. They are in a bad division, so they have that going for them too.

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2023, 11:21 PM by NewJagsCity.)

Tepper needs to recuse himself.

(11-30-2023, 01:34 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

1. Chicago / Arizona
2. Jacksonville / Miami

One more Belicheat negative attribute: not an offensive minded HC in an offensive era.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(12-03-2023, 11:13 AM)Jag88 Wrote: They need a good draft or 2 to get back into it. They aren’t as bad as it looks. They are in a bad division, so they have that going for them too.

/touches earpiece
"I'm getting word that they traded away their future to obtain Bryce Young"

Gonna be hard to have a good darft or two missing next year's #1 (or thereabouts) pick and another early second in 2025, assuming the team stagnates next year.

Until the owner gets out of the way, they are going to have bad darfts, bad hires, and bad outlook. The division could be theirs for the taking, but they have already put a few bullets in their own foot and are reloading the magazine.