Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The defense has fallen off a cliff

(12-13-2023, 11:37 AM)Newton Wrote: The Parker Washington fumble was huge, but his TD catch made up for it some.

He'll learn. He at least redeemed himself. I wish I could say the same for the defense.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-13-2023, 11:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 11:37 AM)Newton Wrote: The Parker Washington fumble was huge, but his TD catch made up for it some.

He'll learn. He at least redeemed himself. I wish I could say the same for the defense.

I mean they did force 3 turnovers
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-13-2023, 02:52 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 11:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote: He'll learn. He at least redeemed himself. I wish I could say the same for the defense.

I mean they did force 3 turnovers

Yeah but it washes out in the end with 3 massive plays being blown for TD's. The one that killed us the most was that 4th down TD late in the game. It's one thing to get beat for the 1st down. It's completely unacceptable to get smoked like that though for a TD. That receiver was open enough to look back for that pass like it was a damn punt.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-13-2023, 02:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 02:52 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I mean they did force 3 turnovers

Yeah but it washes out in the end with 3 massive plays being blown for TD's. The one that killed us the most was that 4th down TD late in the game. It's one thing to get beat for the 1st down. It's completely unacceptable to get smoked like that though for a TD. That receiver was open enough to look back for that pass like it was a damn punt.

Agreed, that was the final nail in the coffin. Once they scored there I knew we weren't making a comeback.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

The biggest issue is Injuries. Before Cambell got injured he was a top 10 corner in the league and you can put him on a island with most WRs in this league. Herndon out has also hurt this team, he was having a career year and one important job for a nickle corner is run defense and that is something Herndon is very good at. It has taken a big hit since we lost Herndon. The Hamilton injury has also been a big blow to this D. If we can get all these guys back healthy for the playoffs I think our D can much improve. Fatukasi play has also dropped. Need him healthy as well. Agnew back will also be huge for our ST

(12-14-2023, 10:53 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The biggest issue is Injuries.  Before Cambell got injured he was a top 10 corner in the league and you can put him on a island with most WRs in this league.  Herndon out has also hurt this team, he was having a career year and one important job for a nickle corner is run defense and that is something Herndon is very good at.  It has taken a big hit since we lost Herndon.  The Hamilton injury has also been a big blow to this D.  If we can get all these guys back healthy for the playoffs I think our D can much improve.  Fatukasi play has also dropped.  Need him healthy as well.  Agnew back will also be huge for our ST

Bad tackling has been a plague in recent weeks all over the back seven, not just the nickel spot. 

FTR - the missed tackles vs the Browns by Jags backup secondary players are as follows:
Greg Junior - 2
Montaric Brown - 3
Antonio Johnson - 0

Something I forgot to mention in the post I made yesterday is that at least 3 of the explosive plays allowed in the past two weeks have come from sending the blitz and getting beaten before the pressure arrived. (may be as many as 5 big plays, but I haven't fully researched it) 

I expect the game plan against Balt/Lamar to be about containment more than pressure, so we may see a shift in that.  

We also may see Caldwell rethink how and when he's dialing up these blitzes moving forward so that doesn't get exploited from what we've put on tape. 

I noticed the DBs giving away their blitz early and the opposing QB adjusting at least 3 times since the niners game. 
That strategy needs a new wrinkle to keep them guessing. 

I know they fake this DB blitz at times and drop into coverage - but if the QB changes protection or calls a hot route - we can't allow free running receivers anymore. Not sure what is coached in those situations when the offense is seen obviously adjusting to the threat - but it may need a change.

Piggybacking on that ^

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...24815?s=20

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2023, 01:20 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-14-2023, 11:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-14-2023, 10:53 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The biggest issue is Injuries.  Before Cambell got injured he was a top 10 corner in the league and you can put him on a island with most WRs in this league.  Herndon out has also hurt this team, he was having a career year and one important job for a nickle corner is run defense and that is something Herndon is very good at.  It has taken a big hit since we lost Herndon.  The Hamilton injury has also been a big blow to this D.  If we can get all these guys back healthy for the playoffs I think our D can much improve.  Fatukasi play has also dropped.  Need him healthy as well.  Agnew back will also be huge for our ST

Bad tackling has been a plague in recent weeks all over the back seven, not just the nickel spot

FTR - the missed tackles vs the Browns by Jags backup secondary players are as follows:
Greg Junior - 2
Montaric Brown - 3
Antonio Johnson - 0

Something I forgot to mention in the post I made yesterday is that at least 3 of the explosive plays allowed in the past two weeks have come from sending the blitz and getting beaten before the pressure arrived. (may be as many as 5 big plays, but I haven't fully researched it) 

I expect the game plan against Balt/Lamar to be about containment more than pressure, so we may see a shift in that.  

We also may see Caldwell rethink how and when he's dialing up these blitzes moving forward so that doesn't get exploited from what we've put on tape. 

I noticed the DBs giving away their blitz early and the opposing QB adjusting at least 3 times since the niners game. 

I know they fake this DB blitz at times and drop into coverage - but if the QB changes protection or calls a hot route - we can't allow free running receivers anymore. Not sure what is coached in those situations when the offense is seen obviously adjusting to the threat - but it may need a change.

Yes, I didn't say bad tackling has been just by the nicklle.    Brown is also a backup coming in because of injury.  Injuries had been a huge part of our poor play on offense and defense.  We have to get some of these guys back or we don't stand a chance in the playoffs if we make it there

(12-14-2023, 01:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-14-2023, 11:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
Bad tackling has been a plague in recent weeks all over the back seven, not just the nickel spot

Greg Junior - 2
Montaric Brown - 3
Antonio Johnson - 0

Yes, I didn't say bad tackling has been just by the nicklle.    Brown is also a backup coming in because of injury.  Injuries had been a huge part of our poor play on offense and defense.  We have to get some of these guys back or we don't stand a chance in the playoffs if we make it there

I wasn't attacking your post. Just adding to it.

Yes, getting some guys back near 100% is key.

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...95699?s=20

Blown coverages
Blitzes being beaten
Missed tackles
Injuries
Facing two powerhouse teams
Opponents learning our tendencies from tape

It has all added up to a major decline in defensive efficiency

Fingers crossed they can work their way back closer to the early season performance level

(12-14-2023, 03:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...95699?s=20

Blown coverages
Blitzes being beaten
Missed tackles
Injuries
Facing two powerhouse teams
Opponents learning our tendencies from tape

It has all added up to a major decline in defensive efficiency

Fingers crossed they can work their way back closer to the early season performance level

Caldwell being exposed by Shanahan after the bye week, followed by two offensive minded headcoaches and play callers in Taylor and Stefanski. They might have another tough outing against the Ravens this Sunday, hopefully, our offense can overcome their defense, as it's just as big as a challenge as the 49ers were in my opinion. 

After this weekend though it should get a little bit easier defensively for Carolina, Tampa Bay and tennessee remaining.

I think that he is trusting the players with 1 on 1's on blitz, and is bitting him in the [BLEEP], think about it: Against the 49ers Olokuon lost his 1 on 1 with Kittle, against the Bengals Campbell was the [BLEEP], this past week Williams slips on 4th down...

Communication is a word I'm hearing a lot in the coaches interviews this week, miscommunication killed this team the last two weeks.

(12-14-2023, 01:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-14-2023, 01:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yes, I didn't say bad tackling has been just by the nicklle.    Brown is also a backup coming in because of injury.  Injuries had been a huge part of our poor play on offense and defense.  We have to get some of these guys back or we don't stand a chance in the playoffs if we make it there

I wasn't attacking your post. Just adding to it.

Late to the party (yay family medical issues) but if by "some guys" you mean Foley, you're 1000% correct.

It's amazing how dramatically our D has shifted with him out/hurt. We were without a lot of guys throughout the season but were still getting it done. He got hurt, and we've made backups look like all pros. He comes back to the form he was earlier this year and a lot of the other warts are obscured.

(12-15-2023, 09:39 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-14-2023, 01:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I wasn't attacking your post. Just adding to it.

Late to the party (yay family medical issues) but if by "some guys" you mean Foley, you're 1000% correct.

It's amazing how dramatically our D has shifted with him out/hurt. We were without a lot of guys throughout the season but were still getting it done. He got hurt, and we've made backups look like all pros. He comes back to the form he was earlier this year and a lot of the other warts are obscured.
He's a big part of the equation. For sure.

Our run D is a lot better with him near 100% instead of hobbled or out of the lineup.

I do wonder how good this defense would have truly been if Hamilton never got injured.

Shipley said he was the best defensive player at camp.

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2023, 03:24 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-15-2023, 12:06 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I do wonder how good this defense would have truly been if Hamilton never got injured.

Shipley said he was the best defensive player at camp.

It's a fair question. I also heard that from Lageman and it looked like he was knifing into the backfield from time to time during some of the preseason snaps that I can recall of. It's a pisser. Hopefully him and Smoot are back next year and able to put this all behind them. Rehabbing is tough for anybody. It's especially tough when you're in a physically demanding sport and getting battered for a living. 

I am excited about Antonio Johnson though in the long term. I think he really is as good as advertised and it's insane to me that we landed him that deep into the draft. Not sure how or why he slipped but he was a highly graded nickel coverage wise coming out of college and at one point, I want to say probably at least two or three weeks before the day of the draft, that, he was mocked to us in the first round. 

People had him up there as far as prospects go and some folks thought he was a first rounder to early second rounder. So, kudos to Baalke there for making that happen.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2023, 02:10 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

Gave up 251 yards on the ground last night. That's after sacks.  Of course, 97 of that was Jackson.  Hes incredible.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Defense played more than good enough for a win last night, the failure to score points by the offense and kicker (tho I don't put too much fault on McManus as before the game it said 10-20 mph winds) that ultimately let us down.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2023, 08:19 PM by carp8dm. Edited 1 time in total.)

The D played pretty damn good on Sunday against the Media Darlings.

The D made Lamar Jackson look like Lewis Lamar for 3 quarters, but after consistent failure by Press and Doug we got our end result...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je7_wMfiMsc

The problem is that the offensive coaching let down the entire team.  The D did everything they could to keep the game close.  Unfortunately, our offensive game planning is just not good enough and it results in a frustrating outcome after the D got gassed.  There's only so much a D can sustain before breaking down.

(EDIT - Revenge of the Nerds is still a hilarious movie, I highly recommend it)

Davon Hamilton had a spinal cord abscess, a serious thing. 

https://www.jaguars.com/news/davon-hamil...40AdobeOrg

This is an explanation of the condition and its symptoms. He was in a bad place.

https://www.healthline.com/health/spinal...s#symptoms