Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Week 15

Backup QB vs. backup QB with a backup HC. Tough year out west.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yeah, this is painful.

35-0 and there's still 4 minutes to play in the 1st half... LOL

Staley should have been fired after they lost to us in the play off's. It's a shame Lombardi was used as a scapegoat.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Also. How did the Saints get two games on Thursday Night Football this year? We played them awhile back but it looks like they get the Rams next Thursday?

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We broke the Chargers.

I had to shut it off. Gotta be up early and this isn't worth me staying up late for. It's crazy how much can change in a season and within a season.

49-0 LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

They might hang 70 on them before this game is over

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2023, 11:20 PM by Caldrac.)

Yeah. I have to get up at 4:00 AM. 49 to 0 now. Ouch.

Staley should honestly be fired tomorrow morning. Give the keys to Kellen Moore for the last few games as an interview opportunity without Herbert and go from there.

If it's true that Belichick is out in New England? I think you interview him immediately next year. They have a QB, some pieces on offense and defense.

They just lack coaching and need a culture shock it looks like.

Can chargers throw in the towel

That pick six by the Raiders a minute ago was incredible. What a play dude made.

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2023, 01:05 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

That game was a joke. From losing 3 to zip to winning 63 to 21??? I wonder how much Vegas gamblers lost on this game playing the O/U?

If Staley is the still the coach after this, then i think the ownership should seriously consider selling the team. They clearly do not know what they are doing.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Before you cast aspersions at Staley or the Chargers' ownership, remember we've had both Gus Bradley and Urban Meyer as our head coach. He needs to go, but they've lost a lot of close games this year and also lost their franchise QB for the season the previous game.

-2 to the Dolphins
-3 to the Titans in OT
-3 to the Cowboys
-3 to the Lions
-3 to the Packers

They could very easily be in the thick of things in the AFC playoff picture if a handful of plays go differently this year for them. 3 of those teams are leading or tied for the lead in their respective divisions at the moment and the Packers are in the playoff picture as well, so these are competitive losses to good teams. Unfortunately for them, Spotrac has them projected to be approximately $45M over the cap next year even with an already planned for increase in the total cap number and they'll have to start shedding talent and contracts in the offseason. Another reason it's probably not a bad time to part ways and bring in a new coach. I'm not sure if Kellen Moore, who is probably already on some owner's radars for a HC gig, necessarily wants an audition like this with Herbert on the sideline and a team that might mentally already be on vacation. It might be best just to let Staley finish out the year and see if he can redeem himself after this embarrassing loss, but losses like that for coaches already on the hot seat usually means the axe is coming shortly thereafter and maybe even today.

A few additional thoughts... I think Herbert isn't quite as good as previously believed by many, though I think he is still a really good QB. Also, a lot of their offense normally goes through Ekeler and he appears to be in decline a bit as most RBs find themselves post age 27. Lastly, Mike Williams going to IR early in the season really hindered them offensively and Quentin Johnston doesn't appear as of yet to be worth the draft capital spent on him as a suitable replacement. They'll be in a rebuild/reload year next year.

(12-15-2023, 10:24 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Before you cast aspersions at Staley or the Chargers' ownership, remember we've had both Gus Bradley and Urban Meyer as our head coach.  He needs to go, but they've lost a lot of close games this year and also lost their franchise QB for the season the previous game.

-2 to the Dolphins
-3 to the Titans in OT
-3 to the Cowboys
-3 to the Lions
-3 to the Packers

They could very easily be in the thick of things in the AFC playoff picture if a handful of plays go differently this year for them.  3 of those teams are leading or tied for the lead in their respective divisions at the moment and the Packers are in the playoff picture as well, so these are competitive losses to good teams.  Unfortunately for them, Spotrac has them projected to be approximately $45M over the cap next year even with an already planned for increase in the total cap number and they'll have to start shedding talent and contracts in the offseason.  Another reason it's probably not a bad time to part ways and bring in a new coach.  I'm not sure if Kellen Moore, who is probably already on some owner's radars for a HC gig, necessarily wants an audition like this with Herbert on the sideline and a team that might mentally already be on vacation. It might be best just to let Staley finish out the year and see if he can redeem himself after this embarrassing loss, but losses like that for coaches already on the hot seat usually means the axe is coming shortly thereafter and maybe even today.

A few additional thoughts... I think Herbert isn't quite as good as previously believed by many, though I think he is still a really good QB.  Also, a lot of their offense normally goes through Ekeler and he appears to be in decline a bit as most RBs find themselves post age 27.  Lastly, Mike Williams going to IR early in the season really hindered them offensively and Quentin Johnston doesn't appear as of yet to be worth the draft capital spent on him as a suitable replacement.  They'll be in a rebuild/reload year next year.

Very good perspective. Thanks for that. The poor Chargers are a textbook example of Murphy's law this season.

(12-14-2023, 11:59 PM)Eric1 Wrote: That pick six by the Raiders a minute ago was incredible. What a play dude made.

Film study pays off, kids.

(12-15-2023, 10:24 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Before you cast aspersions at Staley or the Chargers' ownership, remember we've had both Gus Bradley and Urban Meyer as our head coach.  He needs to go, but they've lost a lot of close games this year and also lost their franchise QB for the season the previous game.

-2 to the Dolphins
-3 to the Titans in OT
-3 to the Cowboys
-3 to the Lions
-3 to the Packers

They could very easily be in the thick of things in the AFC playoff picture if a handful of plays go differently this year for them.  3 of those teams are leading or tied for the lead in their respective divisions at the moment and the Packers are in the playoff picture as well, so these are competitive losses to good teams.  Unfortunately for them, Spotrac has them projected to be approximately $45M over the cap next year even with an already planned for increase in the total cap number and they'll have to start shedding talent and contracts in the offseason.  Another reason it's probably not a bad time to part ways and bring in a new coach.  I'm not sure if Kellen Moore, who is probably already on some owner's radars for a HC gig, necessarily wants an audition like this with Herbert on the sideline and a team that might mentally already be on vacation. It might be best just to let Staley finish out the year and see if he can redeem himself after this embarrassing loss, but losses like that for coaches already on the hot seat usually means the axe is coming shortly thereafter and maybe even today.

A few additional thoughts... I think Herbert isn't quite as good as previously believed by many, though I think he is still a really good QB.  Also, a lot of their offense normally goes through Ekeler and he appears to be in decline a bit as most RBs find themselves post age 27.  Lastly, Mike Williams going to IR early in the season really hindered them offensively and Quentin Johnston doesn't appear as of yet to be worth the draft capital spent on him as a suitable replacement.  They'll be in a rebuild/reload year next year.

If anything, aspersions cast should be taken with all the gravity they merit. By your own admission, we are the voice of experience here. That team is wasting their potential and the morale is gone. They need change if only to reset the mindset of the roster. We should know based on our own history, we've seen it too often - the defeatism is strong. The doubt is present. They have a daunting task playing in the same division as Reid and Mahomes, but they should be much better than their record is, and losses are losses no matter how close they may be.

They've put their chips in on Herbert, and he's a good QB with potential to be great. If they don't get things right around him, that same doubt is gonna creep into his mind and he'll regress to mediocrity. If they want to win, they are going to have to move on from Staley.

(12-15-2023, 10:24 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Before you cast aspersions at Staley or the Chargers' ownership, remember we've had both Gus Bradley and Urban Meyer as our head coach. He needs to go, but they've lost a lot of close games this year and also lost their franchise QB for the season the previous game.

-2 to the Dolphins
-3 to the Titans in OT
-3 to the Cowboys
-3 to the Lions
-3 to the Packers

They could very easily be in the thick of things in the AFC playoff picture if a handful of plays go differently this year for them. 3 of those teams are leading or tied for the lead in their respective divisions at the moment and the Packers are in the playoff picture as well, so these are competitive losses to good teams. Unfortunately for them, Spotrac has them projected to be approximately $45M over the cap next year even with an already planned for increase in the total cap number and they'll have to start shedding talent and contracts in the offseason. Another reason it's probably not a bad time to part ways and bring in a new coach. I'm not sure if Kellen Moore, who is probably already on some owner's radars for a HC gig, necessarily wants an audition like this with Herbert on the sideline and a team that might mentally already be on vacation. It might be best just to let Staley finish out the year and see if he can redeem himself after this embarrassing loss, but losses like that for coaches already on the hot seat usually means the axe is coming shortly thereafter and maybe even today.

A few additional thoughts... I think Herbert isn't quite as good as previously believed by many, though I think he is still a really good QB. Also, a lot of their offense normally goes through Ekeler and he appears to be in decline a bit as most RBs find themselves post age 27. Lastly, Mike Williams going to IR early in the season really hindered them offensively and Quentin Johnston doesn't appear as of yet to be worth the draft capital spent on him as a suitable replacement. They'll be in a rebuild/reload year next year.

Good points, but this is a systemic issue that has been exaggerated this year by unfortunate circumstances. Ask any long term Bolts fan, and they will place the blame on ownership 9 out of 10 times. Go check out their message board, The Powder Blues. Or, call my cousins in San Diego. :-)
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

The Chargers are cleaning house. Staley and the GM gone. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/chargers-fire-h...llowing-bl

(12-15-2023, 01:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The Chargers are cleaning house. Staley and the GM gone. 

They're a year behind on this. It's a shame really. They could have maybe hired Sean Payton, Demeco Ryans or Shane Steichen. The latter of which worked with Herbert already in 2020 and Hurts in Philadelphia and he looks like he's doing a good job in our division given the circumstances with Richardson and Minshew. 

That defense in particular has too much talent at each level to be as bad as they've been over the past few years. Feels like a prime location for Belichick to swoop on in for with an already established QB and all he would have to do is fix their defense, make better decisions mid game and try not to [BLEEP] up the draft too much.

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2023, 02:01 PM by D6. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-15-2023, 01:36 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-15-2023, 01:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The Chargers are cleaning house. Staley and the GM gone. 

They're a year behind on this. It's a shame really. They could have maybe hired Sean Payton, Demeco Ryans or Shane Steichen. The latter of which worked with Herbert already in 2020 and Hurts in Philadelphia and he looks like he's doing a good job in our division given the circumstances with Richardson and Minshew. 

That defense in particular has too much talent at each level to be as bad as they've been over the past few years. Feels like a prime location for Belichick to swoop on in for with an already established QB and all he would have to do is fix their defense, make better decisions mid game and try not to [BLEEP] up the draft too much.

Someone with a proven track record as an NFL HC, with Bill Belichick at or near the top of the list, would seem like a better fit than an Assistant Coach without NFL HC experience.  

If I were in the position of Lions Offensive Coordinator Ben Johnson or any young potential NFL HC candidate who's an Assistant HC without proven winning HC experience, I would turn down any HC offer from the LA Chargers.  This is even in factoring in the LA Chargers have a highly talented QB with Justin Herbert. Between the Chargers ownership being problematic, a bad salary cap situation, and the Chargers not having a home field advantage, this isn't a favorable situation for a HC.