Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
December 17, 1903, Wright brothers make first flight in Kitty Hawk

I read a book about them back in like the 3rd grade, that's why I became the aviation nut that I am........

On this day in history, December 17, 1903, Wright brothers make first flight in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina

Wilbur and Orville Wright were allegedly the first to master the art of flying a powered, controlled aircraft

The world's first flight officially took off from North Carolina’s Outer Banks on this day in history, Dec. 17, 1903.

The Wright brothers were allegedly the first to successfully fly a powered and controlled airplane in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, after years of experimenting with the concept of flight.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/this-d...ty-hawk-nc
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I sailed about a year and a half of total at-sea time onboard the USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63). That’s enough Kitty Hawk history for me.

(12-19-2023, 09:08 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I sailed about a year and a half of total at-sea time onboard the USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63). That’s enough Kitty Hawk history for me.

Thank you for your service Homebiscuit!!!!!
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(12-19-2023, 11:11 AM)The Drifter Wrote:
(12-19-2023, 09:08 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I sailed about a year and a half of total at-sea time onboard the USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63). That’s enough Kitty Hawk history for me.

[Image: 470x340_sailor_salutes_the_flag.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2023, 03:26 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 3 times in total.)

(12-19-2023, 11:11 AM)The Drifter Wrote:

Ditto.  Thank you for your service, Homebiscuit.   

I went to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum a couple of months ago, and they have a very large exhibit on the Wright Brothers, including the original airplane they few at Kitty Hawk.

Here's a fascinating article about their attempts to market their airplane.  They had to go to France because so many people in the US were skeptical of their claims, and the US Army wasn't interested in buying the technology.  

“The Wright Aeroplane and its Fabled Performance” - HistoricWings.com :: A Magazine for Aviators, Pilots and Adventurers

Léon Delagrange, one of France’s leading aviators and designers... quipped simply, [i]“Nous sommes battus”[/i], which translates from French as “We are beaten.” 

In October 1908, from Le Mans, France, Wilbur Wright wrote that, “Princes & millionaires are thick as fleas.”  Indeed, the three Wrights were celebrated as heroes and invited to dinners wherever they went.  Crowds gathered for their demonstration flights and newspapers published breathless reports.  The French military was astonished at the aeroplane that the Wrights had brought over and confirmed their interest in a business deal to license the technology.

Wright brothers 1908 France (youtube.com)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!