Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Patriots claim Nathan Rourke (merged)

Good to see him get a shot.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Call the Boat to hold the clipboard for a week half serious haha
No Fun

Mac Jones in comming

The thing that sucks about it is he already knew the system. Now you’re going to have to sign someone off the street who could be forced into action if Beathard has to start and then goes down. Guess that’s the risk of only having two active QBs on the roster. Maybe it doesn’t matter, if your third stringer is playing, you’re probably screwed anyway. Unless you’re playing us of course.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-18-2023, 08:23 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: The thing that sucks about it is he already knew the system. Now you’re going to have to sign someone off the street who could be forced into action if Beathard has to start and then goes down. Guess that’s the risk of only having two active QBs on the roster. Maybe it doesn’t matter, if your third stringer is playing, you’re probably screwed anyway. Unless you’re playing us of course.

This is exactly correct. He would have at least provided some entertainment

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2023, 09:07 PM by p_rushing.)

(12-18-2023, 07:24 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Why is Beathard banged up? Was he chopping wood in the locker room or get fondue spilled on him? Or break a nail holding the clipboard?
He hurt himself running and then fumbling the ball in his first play 2 weeks ago. Shoulder injury but he is probably fine now at least to start.

I don't see him lasting a full game though.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Basically with Trevor and CJ banged up the brain trust chose to keep an extra TE over an emergency QB.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(12-18-2023, 10:17 PM)copycat Wrote: Basically with Trevor and CJ banged up the brain trust chose to keep an extra TE over an emergency QB.
The extra TE was the coaches son. Honestly it's better for him to leave but I would have preferred him to be the #2 QB instead of CJ. CJ and Pederson are on the roster because of who they know/are friends with, not because of talent.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(12-18-2023, 07:16 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Imagine next year he's starting and goes off, something about him felt like he was one of those guys that just got it..

So you want to keep on the bench here just to prevent some other team from using him? The guy would never start here.

Rourke probably had a conversation with the staff and wanted a chance somewhere else. Lawrence is a franchise QB, coming off of a pro bowl season in 2022 where he finished 7th in MVP voting.

Rourke was not going to supplant Beathard as the backup so his best chance to have a shot was another team. The Jaguars were never going to allow a QB controversy.

(12-18-2023, 05:54 PM)Pick 6 Wrote: Can't believe they didn't even give him a real chance

Good gravy, the tunnel vision here.

He had a few good plays in his first PS game. Does nobody remember that once defenses started actually scheming and putting pressure that he came right back down to earth? He's learning, he's growing, yes, but coaches saw him every day in practice, just like they did CJB. The fact that CJB is here and Rourke was free to sign with other clubs should tell you plenty about how the two fared from Monday to Saturday. He's been on the PS or 53 for dang near the entire season. THEY GAVE HIM A REAL CHANCE.

I'm a Bobcat and I sure wish he was the next Brock Purdy, but the realist in me understands that CFL experience is good, but not fully prepping you for Gameday Sunday. The Pats signing him is probably a bandaid, tire-kick, call it what you want, but I have a darn good feeling if our FO is remorseful over the loss, come mid-Jan they will be fully able to bring him back.

Apparently EJ Perry has been signed instead.

I thought it was odd that with the waves of QB injuries no one picked up Rourke earlier,  considering he had a nice preseason performance.

Perhaps there is an unwritten rule about poaching players off practice squads? Anyhow, he seemed to play well enough to at least get a try somewhere. 

Good luck to him.

(12-18-2023, 08:23 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: The thing that sucks about it is he already knew the system. Now you’re going to have to sign someone off the street who could be forced into action if Beathard has to start and then goes down. Guess that’s the risk of only having two active QBs on the roster. Maybe it doesn’t matter, if your third stringer is playing, you’re probably screwed anyway. Unless you’re playing us of course.

Heh, San Francisco’s third stringer, Mr Irrelevant himself, is a lock for MVP this year.

(12-19-2023, 05:19 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote:

Heh, San Francisco’s third stringer, Mr Irrelevant himself, is a lock for MVP this year.

I know what you mean but he was never really a third stringer. Ok, he was expected to be and was for a couple of games but was not a career backup. Most of those dudes never amount to anything. Although Todd Bouman and Steve Mathews both did have a good games for us once upon a time.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

It will be interesting to see if he gets a chance to play.

(12-19-2023, 02:42 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Apparently EJ Perry has been signed instead.

Yep... we get EJ back.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

So, looks like the Patriots weren't the only team wanting Rourke.

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/stat...O6-Mw&s=19

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2023, 09:32 AM by Mikey.)

(12-19-2023, 02:42 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Apparently EJ Perry has been signed instead.

One assumes Nate Sudfeld is still employed elsewhere.

IIRC Perry got some PS action this year or last, nothing that jumped off paper, but I ain't expecting much if we have to call a third stringer into action. Not like we're the Browns or something.

(12-19-2023, 05:19 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote:

They said his name in the running on Sunday and I laughed. McCaffrey or Deebo are the MVPs of that team - look how they fared when Deebo was out. He comes back and boom, they are a juggernaut again.

If the Ravens hold onto the top seed in the AFC, it would be difficult not to give it to him. Without him, they are going nowhere. Can you say the same about Purds?