Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I believe they should bench Lawrence next week

(12-25-2023, 12:09 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Boselli and Lageman both said it during the game yesterday; Trevor shouldn't have been on the field, it was a mistake to bring him back this early and he shouldn't be getting any contact for at least another week. This is from men who played the game and know something of what they're talking about.

It's obvious he was not ready. It's obvious the team wasn't ready. CJ practiced all week and then they switch gears and put Trevor in the game after one day of practice. Of course there was miscommunication and errors. You can't game plan for one QB all week then bring in another one last minute, especially one that isn't healthy as they'd like us to think, and expect success.

Again, this isn't coming from me, though I agree with them, it's coming from former Jags. They had more to say but I can't remember it all. 

I will say if you are watching the game on TV you should listen to the radio broadcast instead of the network hacks. You'll get a lot more insight and information relevant to the team and the game as it's happening. If you're streaming from an unknown site it won't work because the lag time is too long. As it is, between the TV and the radio it's about 5-10 seconds off but it's tolerable.
When those two criticize the coach that speaks volumes! I agree totally that he should not have been named the starting quarterback Sunday following his concussion. Pederson did a great job last season, but he has made some very questionable decisions this year. It's now possible that his shoulder injury will prevent him from playing the final two games knocking them out of the playoffs (Titans would win). The other inexcusable decision was not protecting Rourke which allowed the Patriots to claim him. How do you not have a contingency plan when your starter has been repeatedly banged up and your back-up just suffered a shoulder injury against the Bengals? After what happened to SF in last year's playoffs, you would have thought the Jaguars would known better! Rourke will never be an effective starting q.b. in the NFL, but he showed a lot of moxie and was able to move the team. He could have possibly become the primary back-up to Lawrence beginning next season.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If they were to bench him there is no going back franchise QBs do not get benched. I think it sends a message to the team, fans and him that hes not the guy. Unless it's for injuries then sure
No Fun

(12-26-2023, 01:29 AM)nhiverson Wrote: If they were to bench him there is no going back franchise QBs do not get benched. I think it sends a message to the team, fans and him that hes not the guy. Unless it's for injuries then sure

Does Lawrence have to break both of his legs to convince this idiotic coaching staff that he is hurt?

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2023, 07:59 AM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

He now has:

Bum knee
Bum ankle
Concussion
Bum throwing shoulder

I know some fans will say, "Well, he's running around out there just fine to me, doesn't look injured". Just because something appears a certain way on a surface level doesn't mean something isn't wrong or missing. Plenty of people you talk to everyday are probably quietly struggling with something you couldn't begin to understand physically nor mentally.

Whether it's an addiction that's kept hidden, cancer, a disease, a mental illness, etc. Some people, believe it or not, can still function daily while also having a plethora of issues decking them internally and bombarding them around the clock.

I don't know if benching him is the correct answer at this point, with two weeks left to get into the play offs or call it a woefully disappointing season for all involved, but, the entire team is off balance right now and it all seemed to start once Lawrence began getting dinged up and toughing it out.

It's admirable. But, it's also sickening, because, in my opinion, it means this front office has failed him to a large extent. We failed him in year one, we caught a glimpse of hope in year two, a little flicker of light that carried over into this season, and now, it's dimming out quickly in year three.

The fact that we're going to have to wait until year four now? To see if he can be more than what he is now? We've failed him man...
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-26-2023, 07:52 AM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 01:29 AM)nhiverson Wrote: If they were to bench him there is no going back franchise QBs do not get benched. I think it sends a message to the team, fans and him that hes not the guy. Unless it's for injuries then sure

Does Lawrence have to break both of his legs to convince this idiotic coaching staff that he is hurt?

Do you think he's telling them he doesn't want to play?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2023, 11:15 AM by americus 2.0. Edited 1 time in total.)

I believe there is a difference between benching a player and keeping him out of a game for medical reasons.

To me benching means he's underperforming for any reason other than illness and/or injury. If he has Covid or something else that keeps him out of a game for one or two games he's not being benched, he's being held out to recover.

I think there is a significant difference between the two and we should use the right words in order to avoid confusion....and unnecessary arguments. But we do love to argue, don't we. Lol.

Tough call

The kid is a competitor and will push to play on one leg while hallucinating tweety birds encircling the Center's helmet.

If trainers are telling coaches "technically, he is safe to play" they are stuck making a really tough call about a backup with inferior ability or a starter with better ability but currently making bad decisions.

I'd be OK giving the kid a week off, but I reckon it will be TL starting and CJ poised to take over if the turnovers rear their ugly head again.

If he's still struggling with all 4 or 5 of the injuries he's been dealing with, he needs to just sit this week. If we can't beat the Panthers with Beathard we don't deserve to go to the playoffs. And Lawrence walking into a playoff game hobbles and confused isn't gonna help anybody.

(12-26-2023, 11:49 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: If he's still struggling with all 4 or 5 of the injuries he's been dealing with, he needs to just sit this week. If we can't beat the Panthers with Beathard we don't deserve to go to the playoffs. And Lawrence walking into a playoff game hobbles and confused isn't gonna help anybody.

Getting TL nearer to full health for a potential playoff game is probably the best argument out there for sitting him this week, IMO. 

It's a good point worth considering for those gravely concerned about the talent gap between starter and backup QB.

(12-26-2023, 11:49 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: If he's still struggling with all 4 or 5 of the injuries he's been dealing with, he needs to just sit this week. If we can't beat the Panthers with Beathard we don't deserve to go to the playoffs. And Lawrence walking into a playoff game hobbles and confused isn't gonna help anybody.

Pro football reputations are made on toughness, no one is ever going to sit willingly.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-26-2023, 12:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Getting TL nearer to full health for a potential playoff game is probably the best argument out there for sitting him this week, IMO. 

It's a good point worth considering for those gravely concerned about the talent gap between starter and backup QB.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.explicit.bing.net%...ipo=images]

(12-26-2023, 12:05 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 12:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Getting TL nearer to full health for a potential playoff game is probably the best argument out there for sitting him this week, IMO. 

The playoffs started two weeks ago for this team. It's why we can't just rest the best QB on the roster.

(12-26-2023, 12:05 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 12:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Getting TL nearer to full health for a potential playoff game is probably the best argument out there for sitting him this week, IMO. 

I mean - I said "potential" and "game" (i.e. "loss") singular. 

LOL

(12-26-2023, 11:27 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Tough call

The kid is a competitor and will push to play on one leg while hallucinating tweety birds encircling the Center's helmet.

If trainers are telling coaches "technically, he is safe to play" they are stuck making a really tough call about a backup with inferior ability or a starter with better ability but currently making bad decisions.

I'd be OK giving the kid a week off, but I reckon it will be TL starting and CJ poised to take over if the turnovers rear their ugly head again.

The problem is the coaches are wrong whatever they do. They get told Lawrence can go so they play him and that was a mistake. If Beathard was out there making mistakes and we lost and then knew Lawrence could go but they rested him, the coaches would get killed for resting him for a game we needed.

They can't win whatever they do with this fanbase right now. The other option is always the right one.

(12-26-2023, 12:47 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:

The problem is the coaches are wrong whatever they do. They get told Lawrence can go so they play him and that was a mistake. If Beathard was out there making mistakes and we lost and then knew Lawrence could go but they rested him, the coaches would get killed for resting him for a game we needed.

They can't win whatever they do with this fanbase right now. The other option is always the right one.

You're correct.
I'd go a step further and say that in the internet-age of sports fandom, most every franchise in most every sport is dealing with this brand of hyper criticism. Most of it ill-informed, unfounded, often hypocritical to last week or last month's brand of whining, and rarely more than 17 different versions of overreaction. 

It gets harder to tune it out sometimes when the teams is legit struggling. Just gotta' steer the rudder and try to even your own keel.

When the team gets into a rut like this I stop trying to explain the flaw in every misplaced criticism and just focus on a few things that may help the team get better. 

Real help is not on the way until the offseason (we hope) , but if this team can get a few more injured guys healthy in the coming weeks, and TL can slow down the anxiety of trying to overcome that line and just be a bit smarter, they may have a shot at salvaging a bad second half of the season. 

Whatever happens, we can be certain that many in this fanbase will criticize any decisions made that don't match the ones they've personally decided are the best way froward.

(12-26-2023, 12:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Pro football reputations are made on toughness, no one is ever going to sit willingly.

That's fine, but it shouldn't be his decision. That's what the medical staff and the coaches are for.

If CJ Beathard takes all the reps this week, we should play him, because if we can't beat the Carolina Panthers with CJ Beathard at QB, then we should just go home for the offseason.

I mean that'd be true and all if he was playing well, maybe he's playing poorly because of the injuries? Who knows.. regardless he's already struggling to put points up is it really going to make a difference if Beathard plays for one week? It's not like Trevor is doing much to help us win in his current state anyways.

Bingo. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. All is forgiven when you're winning games. This team is [BLEEP] no matter what they do at this point in the season. They have taken multiple hits now injury wise at vital positions on the team and we're expecting Lawrence to make magic out of lunch meat when he himself has been chewed up and spit out like lunch meat physically this year. 

It's taken it's toll and the Football Gods are here to collect on said toll. It'll be a miracle if they win these next two games and manage not to slip into an 8 - 9 finish this year. The uno reverse card being played on this team is cruel after finishing 9 - 8 last year, but, it does indeed happen in this sport. I also think there's genuine fear of losing your job in this league. 

Nobody wants to get benched and lose their job for any amount of time because anything is possible. Fortunes and fates have changed because of it. Everybody is looking to be the next Tom Brady when their Drew Bledsoe hits the ground. Coaches have to make decisions that benefit the team as a whole and the injured player in said question. Lawrence not surviving this season shouldn't be surprising to anybody. 

It was a genuine fear going into the off season and a few of us said we'll end up like the Bengals with Burrow if we don't improve the line play up front. Well, here we are now in week 15 with everything on the line and we're basically out of good hands to play. Bummer.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-26-2023, 01:13 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 12:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Pro football reputations are made on toughness, no one is ever going to sit willingly.

That's fine, but it shouldn't be his decision. That's what the medical staff and the coaches are for.

See the last two posts for why what you propose is a logical impossibilty. There is no right answer other than "he's medically cleared to play."