Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I believe they should bench Lawrence next week

(12-26-2023, 08:24 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 07:52 AM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote: Does Lawrence have to break both of his legs to convince this idiotic coaching staff that he is hurt?

Do you think he's telling them he doesn't want to play?
Do you think that made sense in your head?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-26-2023, 12:47 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 11:27 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Tough call

The kid is a competitor and will push to play on one leg while hallucinating tweety birds encircling the Center's helmet.

If trainers are telling coaches "technically, he is safe to play" they are stuck making a really tough call about a backup with inferior ability or a starter with better ability but currently making bad decisions.

I'd be OK giving the kid a week off, but I reckon it will be TL starting and CJ poised to take over if the turnovers rear their ugly head again.

If Beathard was out there making mistakes and we lost and then knew Lawrence could go but they rested him, the coaches would get killed for resting him for a game we needed.

No they wouldn't. Anyone with a bit of a brain would totally agree that he needed to take a week off for concusion. 

You're just making all this up and assuming...

(12-26-2023, 01:36 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 08:24 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Do you think he's telling them he doesn't want to play?
Do you think that made sense in your head?

It makes perfect sense, Lawrence is playing because he's medically cleared and the starter. He's not being forced to play and would protest if he wasn't. Just because that wasteland between your ears can't fathom the idea doesn't mean it's wrong.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-26-2023, 01:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 12:47 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: The problem is the coaches are wrong whatever they do. They get told Lawrence can go so they play him and that was a mistake. If Beathard was out there making mistakes and we lost and then knew Lawrence could go but they rested him, the coaches would get killed for resting him for a game we needed.

They can't win whatever they do with this fanbase right now. The other option is always the right one.

You're correct.
I'd go a step further and say that in the internet-age of sports fandom, most every franchise in most every sport is dealing with this brand of hyper criticism. Most of it ill-informed, unfounded, often hypocritical to last week or last month's brand of whining, and rarely more than 17 different versions of overreaction. 

It gets harder to tune it out sometimes when the teams is legit struggling. Just gotta' steer the rudder and try to even your own keel.

When the team gets into a rut like this I stop trying to explain the flaw in every misplaced criticism and just focus on a few things that may help the team get better. 

Real help is not on the way until the offseason (we hope) , but if this team can get a few more injured guys healthy in the coming weeks, and TL can slow down the anxiety of trying to overcome that line and just be a bit smarter, they may have a shot at salvaging a bad second half of the season. 

Whatever happens, we can be certain that many in this fanbase will criticize any decisions made that don't match the ones they've personally decided are the best way froward.

Perfectly put. I get it, we live in the talking head era where we have endless shows and social media 'experts' overreacting to the extreme, positively and negatively and fans get caught up with that way of thinking too. I love nothing more than a debate and seeing opinions I agree and disagree with but the mass reaction to whatever happened last, like you say, irregardless of what went before, is getting pretty tiresome.

I get peoples frustration and disappointment with how the season has gone from 8-3 but damn we were 8-3 and with a damn tough schedule. We all knew the team looked light at Oline and the depth drop off for skill positions were a worry and were seeing that hurt us. I also had repeating the South and getting to playoffs as a successful season and know we are trending in the right direction. Would I love for us to just click and win multiple SB's? Sure, which team wouldn't but there are 31 other teams trying to do that and there are a number of teams who have better rosters and been trying to get over that hump a lot longer than us. It takes so many things to come together to be a SB contender but the steps we've taken in just 2 years are amazing. We aren't a one year wonder who have a cupcake schedule.

I just feel I see the big picture for us and we have some pieces to build that SB roster around, we still have a long way to go and we need the FO to hit on FA pickups and draft picks but I'm pretty damn happy seeing us in the playoff races while we're building that roster.

(12-26-2023, 02:46 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 01:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You're correct.
I'd go a step further and say that in the internet-age of sports fandom, most every franchise in most every sport is dealing with this brand of hyper criticism. Most of it ill-informed, unfounded, often hypocritical to last week or last month's brand of whining, and rarely more than 17 different versions of overreaction. 

It gets harder to tune it out sometimes when the teams is legit struggling. Just gotta' steer the rudder and try to even your own keel.

When the team gets into a rut like this I stop trying to explain the flaw in every misplaced criticism and just focus on a few things that may help the team get better. 

Real help is not on the way until the offseason (we hope) , but if this team can get a few more injured guys healthy in the coming weeks, and TL can slow down the anxiety of trying to overcome that line and just be a bit smarter, they may have a shot at salvaging a bad second half of the season. 

Whatever happens, we can be certain that many in this fanbase will criticize any decisions made that don't match the ones they've personally decided are the best way froward.

Perfectly put. I get it, we live in the talking head era where we have endless shows and social media 'experts' overreacting to the extreme, positively and negatively and fans get caught up with that way of thinking too. I love nothing more than a debate and seeing opinions I agree and disagree with but the mass reaction to whatever happened last, like you say, irregardless of what went before, is getting pretty tiresome.

I get peoples frustration and disappointment with how the season has gone from 8-3 but damn we were 8-3 and with a damn tough schedule. We all knew the team looked light at Oline and the depth drop off for skill positions were a worry and were seeing that hurt us. I also had repeating the South and getting to playoffs as a successful season and know we are trending in the right direction. Would I love for us to just click and win multiple SB's? Sure, which team wouldn't but there are 31 other teams trying to do that and there are a number of teams who have better rosters and been trying to get over that hump a lot longer than us. It takes so many things to come together to be a SB contender but the steps we've taken in just 2 years are amazing. We aren't a one year wonder who have a cupcake schedule.

I just feel I see the big picture for us and we have some pieces to build that SB roster around, we still have a long way to go and we need the FO to hit on FA pickups and draft picks but I'm pretty damn happy seeing us in the playoff races while we're building that roster.

Some of these people are suggesting that this seasons regression means Trevor sucks, blow it up, time to move on...they have no ability to bear adversity with dignity. The emergence of entitlement with these people is something I've never seen before. We've been the Factory of Sadness for the better part of two decades, had a miraculous turnaround last year and now, aren't really bad just not the level of sucess we want with a.500 division leading team. It's just pathetic how weak these people are mentally.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-26-2023, 02:22 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 12:47 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: If Beathard was out there making mistakes and we lost and then knew Lawrence could go but they rested him, the coaches would get killed for resting him for a game we needed.

No they wouldn't. Anyone with a bit of a brain would totally agree that he needed to take a week off for concusion. 

You're just making all this up and assuming...

Lol, making things up and assuming. Sorry forgot that's your job. I didn't realise you were in the meetings with Trevor all week and saw how he was.

Are you really telling me that if Doug is told Lawrence has cleared concussion protocol and can play that he turns into Dr Doug and says no he's still suffering and can't play? Come on.

Team before the player. Simple as that.

(12-26-2023, 02:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 02:46 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Perfectly put. I get it, we live in the talking head era where we have endless shows and social media 'experts' overreacting to the extreme, positively and negatively and fans get caught up with that way of thinking too. I love nothing more than a debate and seeing opinions I agree and disagree with but the mass reaction to whatever happened last, like you say, irregardless of what went before, is getting pretty tiresome.

Some of these people are suggesting that this seasons regression means Trevor sucks, blow it up, time to move on...they have no ability to bear adversity with dignity. The emergence of entitlement with these people is something I've never seen before. We've been the Factory of Sadness for the better part of two decades, had a miraculous turnaround last year and now, aren't really bad just not the level of sucess we want with a.500 division leading team. It's just pathetic how weak these people are mentally.

Yes yes and freaking yes. It was so damn depressing watching us every Sunday and after 5 minutes being down 10-0 and knowing that's the game. Endless offseasons of FA additions and draft picks that are going to be the guy that turns us around and by Week 7 they are a bust we need to replace in FA or the draft. It was a depressing endless cycle that seemed to have no exit. I used to dream of being a .500 team. Then suddenly it all turned around. The conversations on here now are the same before the Raiders game last year and that magical run. We go 8-3 (and still some on here were complaining) but first bump in the road and rough stretch and it's back to all put negativity. I said it earlier this year, for some we either have to win the SB and if we cant then get the #1 pick. There's nowhere in the middle. 

We are at the start of a fun ride and there's going to be ups and down, delight and heartbreak along the way but damn I'd rather go through that than watch us get destroyed 14 weeks a season and see who we pick top 5 year after year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jaguars/comment...o_awkward/

Posting this in TL thread but damn this is indicting of the conditions he faces and perhaps why he should have sat without full three days of practices and needing to rest his injuries

(12-26-2023, 01:19 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 12:47 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: The problem is the coaches are wrong whatever they do. They get told Lawrence can go so they play him and that was a mistake. If Beathard was out there making mistakes and we lost and then knew Lawrence could go but they rested him, the coaches would get killed for resting him for a game we needed.

They can't win whatever they do with this fanbase right now. The other option is always the right one.

Bingo. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. All is forgiven when you're winning games. This team is [BLEEP] no matter what they do at this point in the season. They have taken multiple hits now injury wise at vital positions on the team and we're expecting Lawrence to make magic out of lunch meat when he himself has been chewed up and spit out like lunch meat physically this year. 

It's taken it's toll and the Football Gods are here to collect on said toll. It'll be a miracle if they win these next two games and manage not to slip into an 8 - 9 finish this year. The uno reverse card being played on this team is cruel after finishing 9 - 8 last year, but, it does indeed happen in this sport. I also think there's genuine fear of losing your job in this league. 

Nobody wants to get benched and lose their job for any amount of time because anything is possible. Fortunes and fates have changed because of it. Everybody is looking to be the next Tom Brady when their Drew Bledsoe hits the ground. Coaches have to make decisions that benefit the team as a whole and the injured player in said question. Lawrence not surviving this season shouldn't be surprising to anybody. 

It was a genuine fear going into the off season and a few of us said we'll end up like the Bengals with Burrow if we don't improve the line play up front. Well, here we are now in week 15 with everything on the line and we're basically out of good hands to play. Bummer.

Great points as usual. We all feared Trevor getting hurt behind this line and it's a miracle it took so long and that he's played through them. He's hurting and trying and I respect the hell out of him for doing it and i think the main reasons are he wants to show he's a leader and he sees how many key players are out and doesn't want to add to that list.

I'm sure Doug thought that we could win a couple of these last 4, punch our playoff ticket and let Lawrence rest a game or two but its not worked out like that and no we need him to play through the pain. Dougs going to play the starters if he's told they can go, that's what any coach would do.

As a Texans fan who watched his team play them, the Panthers have an aggressive front-4 pass rush that will be problematic for the Jags OL.  I'd expect Lawrence to get hit/sacked a lot...if he plays.  I find it strange that Lawrence was able to pass the concussion testing so quickly, but multiple concussions is bad news even if he recovered fully. (Don't forget that being a "tough QB" is generally worse when it comes to self-evaluating the effects of a concussion.)

So my Texans fandom says to start him while wearing a blindfold, but my logical side says that it would be pretty dangerous considering that his bad ankle and bad shoulder could slow his escapability and slow his release time.

absolutely not
this is part of the maturation process
going to have to continue to learn to perform even if everything is going against you

gotta learn to adapt your game and find a way to grind out an efficient performance, these type of situations will come up over and over through his career.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2023, 09:44 PM by Shad Khans Mustache. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-26-2023, 02:45 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 01:36 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote: Do you think that made sense in your head?

It makes perfect sense, Lawrence is playing because he's medically cleared and the starter. He's not being forced to play and would protest if he wasn't. Just because that wasteland between your ears can't fathom the idea doesn't mean it's wrong.

Which is stupid, all the beating he had two weeks ago and to go ahead and throw him on the following week after a concusion is a very stupid head coach decision.

Just because he is "medically cleared" doesnt mean that he is 80% or even 70% healthy. 

To top it off, the moron Doug Pederson still keeps him in the game being down 27-0 or whatever the freaking score was....

(12-26-2023, 01:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: If CJ Beathard takes all the reps this week, we should play him, because if we can't beat the Carolina Panthers with CJ Beathard at QB, then we should just go home for the offseason.

Ain't that the truth. Lol

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2023, 10:33 PM by jaglyn.)

Sit him out, he keeps getting worse as his injuries are piling up.

I think the coaching staff (and possibly Trevor himself) is hoping he will have some kind of miracle game like he had against the Saints early in the year, where he was decent while playing on a bum knee.

We ain't going anywhere in the playoffs anyway even if we do back into it somehow. The Receivers are underperforming, Running-game is non-existent, and the Defense is a head case.

There is nothing wrong with sitting due to injury.

(12-27-2023, 12:55 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: There is nothing wrong with sitting due to injury.

Honestly I agree at this point. He's still got the knee brace on so you have to wonder if his MCL is at least partially torn. His ankle is a 4 to 6 week recovery, he took helmet to the head during the Bucs game, and now he has a throwing shoulder sprain. If we're not careful he's gonna need multiple surgeries in the off season.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(12-27-2023, 12:47 PM)Protozoa Wrote:
(12-27-2023, 12:55 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: There is nothing wrong with sitting due to injury.

Honestly I agree at this point. He's still got the knee brace on so you have to wonder if his MCL is at least partially torn. His ankle is a 4 to 6 week recovery, he took helmet to the head during the Bucs game, and now he has a throwing shoulder sprain. If we're not careful he's gonna need multiple surgeries in the off season.

I think there is a good chance Trevor sits his first game this weekend. Too many injuries and not able to practice.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2023, 01:21 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-27-2023, 01:04 PM)Newton Wrote:
(12-27-2023, 12:47 PM)Protozoa Wrote: Honestly I agree at this point. He's still got the knee brace on so you have to wonder if his MCL is at least partially torn. His ankle is a 4 to 6 week recovery, he took helmet to the head during the Bucs game, and now he has a throwing shoulder sprain. If we're not careful he's gonna need multiple surgeries in the off season.

I think there is a good chance Trevor sits his first game this weekend. Too many injuries and not able to practice.

Nope.

"The year is 2070. Pug Dederson, the cloned version of Doug Pederson, has just made his decision for the Jacksonville Jaguars 15th Superbowl appearance, while hoping for his 15th win with the Jaguars, that, Trevor Lawrence, in spite of moving around on a hovering wheelchair and with two broken hands and a torn ACL, he will undergo emergency fountain of youth treatment and AI SuperSubTronics surgery just one hour before kick-off to make his start" - Joe Buck, in a fishbowl, with AI VisualSuperSubTronics

Brought to you by, AI-phzer!
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2023, 02:33 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-27-2023, 01:20 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-27-2023, 01:04 PM)Newton Wrote: I think there is a good chance Trevor sits his first game this weekend. Too many injuries and not able to practice.

Nope.

"The year is 2070. Pug Dederson, the cloned version of Doug Pederson, has just made his decision for the Jacksonville Jaguars 15th Superbowl appearance, while hoping for his 15th win with the Jaguars, that, Trevor Lawrence, in spite of moving around on a hovering wheelchair and with two broken hands and a torn ACL, he will undergo emergency fountain of youth treatment and AI SuperSubTronics surgery just one hour before kick-off to make his start" - Joe Buck, in a fishbowl, with AI VisualSuperSubTronics

Brought to you by, AI-phzer!

Send him to St Augustine. Will only cost you $19.95 (in 2023).
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption