Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fred Taylor HOF finalist

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2023, 11:52 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I don't think it happens but man I hope he gets in this year

https://www.nfl.com/news/finalists-for-p...4-revealed

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He’s the only RB finalist this year. Maybe that helps him.

It took a few times with Tony b as well he will get in at some point hopefully this his time he deserves it
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

He was such a great running back for the gators. Super fast with power and shakes. Then, what a player for the jags.

It's a tough crowd there. However, it's a great sign for his future now that he's ending up as at least a finalist.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Congratulations to Fred Taylor on becoming a top 15 HOF finalist for the first time! That's a good indication that he will eventually be enshrined, although it may take some time to get there. In my opinion, he is certainly deserving of this honor but has been penalized because he plays for the Jaguars, Coughlin took him out often on goal line plays (lack of touchdowns) and only made one pro bowl as a replacement for another injured player (lack of respect for Jaguars). Very hard to argue the fact that he's deserving since he is only 1 of 3 players to have averaged 4.6 ypc with a total of greater than 2500 carries. The other 2 were Barry Sanders and Adrien Peterson- not bad company! Of course, all one has to do is watch some of his tape and there would be no debate necessary.

Here's hoping my favorite Jaguar of all time reaches the Hall!

(12-28-2023, 11:33 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Congratulations to Fred Taylor on becoming a top 15 HOF finalist for the first time! That's a good indication that he will eventually be enshrined, although it may take some time to get there. In my opinion, he is certainly deserving of this honor but has been penalized because he plays for the Jaguars, Coughlin took him out often on goal line plays (lack of touchdowns) and only made one pro bowl as a replacement for another injured player (lack of respect for Jaguars). Very hard to argue the fact that he's deserving since he is only 1 of 3 players to have averaged 4.6 ypc with a total of greater than 2500 carries. The other 2 were Barry Sanders and Adrien Peterson- not bad company! Of course, all one has to do is watch some of his tape and there would be no debate necessary.

Guys like AP coming eligible in the coming year(s) though will hurt him in the short run.

I think he is certainly deserving, and HOF worthy RB will certainly be a dwindling number as the shield continues to trend more toward the pass game each day. Fred may be one of the last old-school RB to get in.

Mans scored 17 TDs with 1644 scrimmage yards and didn’t make the Pro Bowl. lol nfl

1942 scrimmage yards in 2003 and no pro bowl, lolz. nfl put guys Corey Dillon and Eddie George.

There is a wild chance Fred makes it in this go round because he is the only RB on the list, and the list looks equal across the board at first glance.

Fred will no longer be haunted by that 2001 season. A prime Fres Taylor likely would have rushed for about 1600-1700 yards that season, and his final totals would’ve been somewhere around 13,295 which would be 9th all-time and ahead of Eric Dickerson. Taylor probably would have racked up another 450 receiving yards which would have put his total scrimmage yards at 16,129. He probably would have scored 13 TD on the ground with probably 2 receiving for a total of 15. This would have put his total Touchdowns at 79.

Heck even if Taylor had a mild 1000 yard season in 2001, it would have put him 11th all-time with 12,695 yards, which is just below Tony Dorsett.

Or another way you can look at is Fred missed 55 regular season games in his career and he is still top 17 all-time. Let’s take 55 games away from Smith, Sanders, Martin, Faulk, etc and Taylor would most likely be in the top 3, which is where he belongs.

If I’m starting an NFL franchise and I had to pick from this HOF finalist list, my first overall pick would be Fred Taylor. Maybe all those letters I sent to Canton helped 0.00000001%

(12-28-2023, 02:25 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Mans scored 17 TDs with 1644 scrimmage yards and didn’t make the Pro Bowl. lol nfl

1942 scrimmage yards in 2003 and no pro bowl, lolz. nfl put guys  Corey Dillon and Eddie George.

There is a wild chance Fred makes it in this go round because he is the only RB on the list, and the list looks equal across the board at first glance.

Fred will no longer be haunted by that 2001 season. A prime Fres Taylor likely would have rushed for about 1600-1700 yards that season, and his final totals would’ve been somewhere around 13,295 which would be 9th all-time and ahead of Eric Dickerson. Taylor probably would have racked up another 450 receiving yards which would have put his total scrimmage yards at 16,129. He probably would have scored 13 TD on the ground with probably 2 receiving for a total of 15. This would have put his total Touchdowns at 79.

Heck even if Taylor had a mild 1000 yard season in 2001, it would have put him 11th all-time with 12,695 yards, which is just below Tony Dorsett.

Or another way you can look at is Fred missed 55 regular season games in his career and he is still top 17 all-time. Let’s take 55 games away from Smith, Sanders, Martin, Faulk, etc and Taylor would most likely be in the top 3, which is where he belongs. 

If I’m starting an NFL franchise and I had to pick from this HOF finalist list, my first overall pick would be Fred Taylor. Maybe all those letters I sent to Canton helped 0.00000001%

Repeat after me

PRO BOWL IS A POPULARITY CONTEST.
If they are using probe owls to determine who does or doesn't get in the hall is less reputable than I've already considered them to be.

(12-28-2023, 12:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Here's hoping my favorite Jaguar of all time reaches the Hall!

(12-27-2023, 11:53 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: He’s the only RB finalist this year.  Maybe that helps him.

Skill player ....has that going for him.
GOOD LUCK Freddy T!
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

I saw a video on Jags Instagram account of Boselli talking about Fred deserving the vote.

Can I just say Boselli looks.....ill. Practically skeletal and his eyes.... I hope he's okay. A lot of folks commented on how different he looks.

(12-28-2023, 05:32 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 02:25 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Mans scored 17 TDs with 1644 scrimmage yards and didn’t make the Pro Bowl. lol nfl

1942 scrimmage yards in 2003 and no pro bowl, lolz. nfl put guys  Corey Dillon and Eddie George.

Repeat after me

PRO BOWL IS A POPULARITY CONTEST.
If they are using probe owls to determine who does or doesn't get in the hall is less reputable than I've already considered them to be.

Excellent point!

He was just an insane specimen of power and speed.  If not for all the early year injuries he would already be in the hall of fame.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2023, 04:20 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-28-2023, 10:01 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I saw a video on Jags Instagram account of Boselli talking about Fred deserving the vote.

Can I just say Boselli looks.....ill. Practically skeletal and his eyes....  I hope he's okay. A lot of folks commented on how different he looks.

The dr told him he needed to eat more healthy, or he could have a problem, so he made changes and lost weight. He probably needs to do some weight lifting to help his look. Plus, you are accustomed to seeing him being big.

(12-29-2023, 12:19 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: He was just an insane specimen of power and speed.  If not for all the early year injuries he would already be in the hall of fame.

The injuries didn't help him, but even worse for his HOF chances has been the low number of touchdowns. 

The Jaguars hardly ever used Fred in the red zone through out his career.
Whether it was a coaching philosophy of preserving his health at times, or favoring the skillset of another back on those plays designed for short yardage, from 1999-2006 Fred Taylor stood on the sideline for the majority of running plays inside the 25 yard line. (I scoured through the defensive splits and tallied up the touches for the backs on those teams based on field position last year when this topic arose) 

James Stewart, Stacey Mack and Maurice Jones Drew were given many opportunities to score from 20 yards or less while Fred had to just watch from the sideline. 

At one point I extrapolated the numbers based on his red zone efficiency and the carries taken from him and his TD numbers projected to be in a near dead tie with Curtis Martin who is 13th on the all time list and already in the hall. 

I love MJD, but I wish they had given Fred a bigger chunk of those attempts inside the 20 all those years. He'd have been enshrined years ago if that had been the case.

(12-29-2023, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-29-2023, 12:19 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: He was just an insane specimen of power and speed.  If not for all the early year injuries he would already be in the hall of fame.

The injuries didn't help him, but even worse for his HOF chances has been the low number of touchdowns. 

The Jaguars hardly ever used Fred in the red zone through out his career.
Whether it was a coaching philosophy of preserving his health at times, or favoring the skillset of another back on those plays designed for short yardage, from 1999-2006 Fred Taylor stood on the sideline for the majority of running plays inside the 25 yard line. (I scoured through the defensive splits and tallied up the touches for the backs on those teams based on field position last year when this topic arose) 

James Stewart, Stacey Mack and Maurice Jones Drew were given many opportunities to score from 20 yards or less while Fred had to just watch from the sideline. 

At one point I extrapolated the numbers based on his red zone efficiency and the carries taken from him and his TD numbers projected to be in a near dead tie with Curtis Martin who is 13th on the all time list and already in the hall. 

I love MJD, but I wish they had given Fred a bigger chunk of those attempts inside the 20 all those years. He'd have been enshrined years ago if that had been the case.

Yea, I think that it is safe to say that Fred will not choose Tom Coughlin (hope he'll still be alive and in attendance) to present him his statue. Between the Red Zone issue and calling his game to to game status in 2001 "questionable" (despite the severity of the groin injury), T.C. did Fred no favors. Of course, the latter issue lead to his "Fragile Fred" nickname given to him by some. 

Wouldn't it be something if Fred and Coughlin got enshrined the same year? Both are pretty much slam dunks to eventually get in. I do hope Coughlin is still around when he is honored.

The talking heads are starting to get wise to the fact that Eddie George did not deserve accolades like the Pro Bowl and Fred did. The proof was there all along in the average yards per carry number, but it takes a while for sportswriters to forget what they felt and remember what they actually saw. Eddie George got more sponsorship money, had a more impressive physique, and gave a better interview. Still true! But Fred ran better. They'll figure it out.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Hines Ward are being considered over Jimmy Smith is crazy.