Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Big Picture Thread

If you want to complain and say how everyone should be fired, kindly pop onto one of the other 20 threads doing that. I'd like this to be a thread where we can have a sensible debate about the good and bad of this season and the progress this team has made in the 2 years under Doug and what this team looks like going forward next season and after.

Now cast your mind back to the Urban year. Yeah sorry but remember the dysfunction, the games being over after 5 minutes, Zach Wilson breaking tackles on TD runs, Mac Jones putting 50 up on us and 2 years of back to back #1 picks. As rough as being a Jags fan has been, that was the lowest low. I remember people saying they had grown to hate football because of the Jags. 

Doug came in with a huge task to turn this team around and we saw the same mistakes and game losing plays in the first half of last season but then something clicked and we went on a magical run that ended in the Division round. A roster so bad they had 2 years of #1 picks, plus a group of 'overpaid' FA additions massively overachieved and restored some pride in the Jags name.

The offseason was a case of trying to retain the talent we had. We had to let players walk to get under the cap (Jawaan, Key), managed to resign Engram and added Ridley. It didn't look a bad job considering where we started the offseason but Ridley was up and down and the rookies drafted failed to be valuable contributors.

We had the 3rd toughest schedule this year and got to 8-3, even with the Oline problems and injuries and mistakes ruining the season. Its disappointing to miss the playoffs after such a strong start but this team has definitely showed progress in these 2 years. 

This offseason is a huge challenge for Baalke or a new GM (personally I don't see Khan making a change yet) and we need talent at Oline and Dline and better depth all over the roster. There are some big decisions with contracts and cap maneuvering that will effect the draft. I fully expect us to bounce back next year with a better roster but still not a true SB contender and ready to fight for the South and playoffs again.

I know asking after a painful loss and end to the season isn't the best time but do you feel we are a franchise moving in the right direction and think we can continue to do so?

DTWD.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The big picture is that we suck again
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Maybe they should of left those towels alone..
https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/174...0138276933

(01-07-2024, 06:04 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Maybe they should of left those towels alone..

That's a good point

Also keep thinking of the Bengals going for it on 4th down on their opening drive and not getting it. Looked like it was going to be a fun night then Kirk wide open on our first play, gets hurt and it all spiralled quickly and violently after that.

(01-07-2024, 06:04 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Maybe they should of left those towels alone..

Who cares? Absolutely irrelevant. Steelers are a one and done team.

Guys we weren’t making the Super Bowl even if we won. It’s fine, better draft pick + don’t have to play the ravens or chiefs next year

You can't sugarcoat a turd. This is a Mike Tice epic level collapse and there's quite a few heads that should roll for it.

We get the AFC East and NFC North this year coming up. Then we get an AFC North team, an AFC West team and an NFC East team.

Plus our own divisional games. It will be just as equally difficult to win. The front office collectively made luxury picks in a draft class that was fairly deep and with thirteen or fourteen selections they have [BLEEP] all to show for it.

The 2021 class is beginning to weaken on paper now as well. The goal should have been double digit wins this year. They took a step back this year and regressed across the board.

Not a good look. And, again, changes need to happen.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Trev ain't been the same since his injuries and concussion. That part is pretty obvious. Dude needs better protection and more time in the pocket.

My 2 cents..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

It's easy to say we're headed in the right direction when we were 1-15. So to answer the question, yes we are "headed in the right direction" from that point.

You and I had some good dialogue in last weeks game thread, so I won't rehash the same thing but overall I am incredibly concerned with the shambolic meltdown after going 8-3.

Losing a game or two is understandable, but losing how we did in the last stretch of games to close out the season definitely seem like a disturbing regression for many reasons that include on-field performance, injuries, inept coaching at times, etc.

So it all depends on your frame of reference. I'm not happy with us literally, and figuratively, fumbling our way out of the playoffs especially after the 8-3 start. Good teams and well coached teams do not regress like that immensely.

That was when we had passion.  When the players were amped.  

And then the team just completely fell asleep.  Like they didn't care.

The fish rots from the head...  OC, DC, HC

I think from week 1, this team has looked poorly coached. We have have tremendous miscues in every game. We consistently shot ourselves in the foot all year. We would take one step forward and two steps back. It's honestly difficult to fathom how so many mistakes were made week after week.

If it's coaching, what are we doing during practice? How are we not tightening these things up all year? How was this never an area of emphasis, and if it was, how did we do such a poor job of fixing it?

If it's the players, how are they not responding to the coaching? How do we not have guys who knows how to play ball at this point in their lives? Why are we running wrong routes, fumbling, sailing passes, missing gaps, missing tackles, committing horrible penalties?

I think that last year showed a lot of positive momentum to end the year. We were on the upswing. This season is the exact opposite, and I think that this means that a lot of things have to be called into question.

Obviously, our interior on both sides of the ball is a huge problem. But Trevor has a lot of ball security issues. He fumbles like crazy and throws far too many INTs. I know that he's been injured, but he has been off target all season. He makes huge wow plays and then will throw the stupidest INTs. It's maddening. He has to get some consistency.

Our playcalling is highly suspect. Our defense will play lights out and then forget how to tackle.

Frankly, I do not feel like we are going in a positive direction at this time. Season ending losses like this tend to weigh on a team. We've looked out of sorts all year--even when we were winning. Our giveaways just finally caught up with us.

The big picture is, football is basically blocking and tackling. We need to do those two things a whole lot better. I hope in the offseason we find some players who just want to punch someone in the mouth.

(01-07-2024, 06:11 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Trev ain't been the same since his injuries and concussion. That part is pretty obvious. Dude needs better protection and more time in the pocket.

My 2 cents..

Dude has time in the pocket.

Dude is told to throw to his first read constantly.  There's no creativity with the offense.  

Watch other teams...  This team is a dinosaur of the 1980s.  We regressed as an offense.  And we regressed Lawrence's devolopement.

The entire coaching staff should be fired.  This team looked nothing like last year.  I've been saying it since September.  Today was proof of it.

(01-07-2024, 06:15 PM)carp8dm Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 06:11 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Trev ain't been the same since his injuries and concussion. That part is pretty obvious. Dude needs better protection and more time in the pocket.

My 2 cents..

Dude has time in the pocket.

Dude is told to throw to his first read constantly.  There's no creativity with the offense.  

Watch other teams...  This team is a dinosaur of the 1980s.  We regressed as an offense.  And we regressed Lawrence's devolopement.

The entire coaching staff should be fired.  This team looked nothing like last year.  I've been saying it since September.  Today was proof of it.

Dude's been running for his life the most of the season which created his injuries and concussion.

He gets blocked into and rolls his ankle and then takes off out of the pocket downfield for the concussion. Those don't happen with better protection.

It is what it is..

After last season, everybody was sure that this team will improve and dominate with our elite offense.

Look like this team and our coaching staff were too confident. Doug has not done a good job for sure. I don't blame Press, it's Doug choice and it was a huge mistake.

Let's hope that this shipwreck will make them better and work harder (and smarter)

(01-07-2024, 06:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The big picture is, football is basically blocking and tackling.  We need to do those two things a whole lot better.  I hope in the offseason we find some players who just want to punch someone in the mouth.

Very true.

Throwing, running, catching, covering, and playcalling are pretty important though.

I'm willing to bet an unhealthy amount of this message board would truely believe in a towel curse over blaming Trevor for any of it.

(01-07-2024, 06:10 PM)Caldrac Wrote: You can't sugarcoat a turd. This is a Mike Tice epic level collapse and there's quite a few heads that should roll for it.

We get the AFC East and NFC North this year coming up. Then we get an AFC North team, an AFC West team and an NFC East team.

Plus our own divisional games. It will be just as equally difficult to win. The front office collectively made luxury picks in a draft class that was fairly deep and with thirteen or fourteen selections they have [BLEEP] all to show for it.

The 2021 class is beginning to weaken on paper now as well. The goal should have been double digit wins this year. They took a step back this year and regressed across the board.

Not a good look. And, again, changes need to happen.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I agree with what yourbsaying and I think there will be a lot of conversations going on right now about that. Baalke can easily argue he's built a team that's had 2 winning seasons even with its problems. The Co-ordinators can easily say they've done the best with what they've been given. You can easiy argue against that but that's where I think the tough decisions lie for Khan and Doug. Personally I think Khan gives Baalke another year and I'm not sure if Doug wants to fire anyone. There may be a sacrificial head just to say someone got fired but I'm not sure where Dougs thinking is right now.

The big thing is we have to keep pushing the roster forward. We need talent added to it and we need to hit on draft picks. If Baalke stays and misses on those then it's going to be a big problem. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see a few fired but also think I wouldn't be shocked if no one was.

(01-07-2024, 06:22 PM)enigma Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 06:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The big picture is, football is basically blocking and tackling.  We need to do those two things a whole lot better.  I hope in the offseason we find some players who just want to punch someone in the mouth.

Very true.

Throwing, running, catching, covering, and playcalling are pretty important though.

And all of those fall under the fundamentals..

Personally, I'm tired of seeing all the chest tackles and nobody going for the legs. They can't run if you wrap them up.