Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Big Picture Thread

(01-12-2024, 11:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 11:18 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: So you think complacency is the answer? We would get fired for failing this bad and we don't make 7 figures to play a game.

I just think some urgency is warranted in their fantasy job while still getting paid more money per year than we make in a lifetime.

Is that wrong?

They didn't even try. They were just like whatever. And you could see it in Pedersons body language. "Oh well I'm gonna get my millions".

Watch this video from the 5:20 spot.  They say exactly what I am saying.  If you can't run the ball, there's not a whole lot a play caller can do to fix it.  

"If you can't run the ball... no matter who's calling plays, it's pointless."

What Needs to Change Moving Forward? | Huddle Up | Jacksonville Jaguars (youtube.com)
Check my responses to the OL OG issues thread. I'm right there with you.

But that still goes to coaching and scheme. I hate ZBS. I think it is cute and stupid. Get big nasty uglies. We have a pocket passer. Stop being cute. Start mauling.

But they didn't even have athletic players. They didn't even have strong players. All on Trent. But the coaches never tried to change anything. That's on them. I'm cool if that failed too BTW. But using the same thing over n over and saying well its execution. THAT MEANS YOUR PLAYERS CANNOT PHYSICALLY EXECUTE YOUR SCHEME. But instead of trying to change they just said naaah scrubs can do this too.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-12-2024, 12:06 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 11:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Watch this video from the 5:20 spot.  They say exactly what I am saying.  If you can't run the ball, there's not a whole lot a play caller can do to fix it.  

What Needs to Change Moving Forward? | Huddle Up | Jacksonville Jaguars (youtube.com)

But that still goes to coaching and scheme. I hate ZBS. I think it is cute and stupid. Get big nasty uglies. We have a pocket passer. Stop being cute. Start mauling.

But they didn't even have athletic players. They didn't even have strong players. All on Trent. But the coaches never tried to change anything. That's on them. I'm cool if that failed too BTW. But using the same thing over n over and saying well its execution. THAT MEANS YOUR PLAYERS CANNOT PHYSICALLY EXECUTE YOUR SCHEME. But instead of trying to change they just said naaah scrubs can do this too.

You're not going to ever be rid of ZBS if Pederson is your coach, and frankly ETN can be DEADLY in zone runs when they are executed effectively. But there is no reason to make it 80-90% of your run game. You can run both zone and power if you have the right guys.

Just wanna drop this nugget in here too:

Offensive Line Spending by Cap Allocation vs PFF Line rank in the NFL
2021: 1st vs Rank: 24th
2022: 24th vs Rank: 26th
2023: 9th vs Rank: 27th
2024: 11th vs Rank: TBD

Whether they spend or don't spend they aren't picking the players. The cap dollars spent on PEDSRob and the Sheriff were pretty much wasted.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-12-2024, 11:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Watch this video from the 5:20 spot.  They say exactly what I am saying.  If you can't run the ball, there's not a whole lot a play caller can do to fix it.  

You have a shot O-line that you can’t run behind and have no protection to have time to pass the ball downfield. What scheme exactly do you suggest in this scenario?

(01-12-2024, 12:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Just wanna drop this nugget in here too:

Offensive Line Spending by Cap Allocation vs PFF Line rank in the NFL
2021: 1st    vs Rank: 24th
2022: 24th  vs  Rank: 26th
2023: 9th    vs  Rank: 27th
2024: 11th  vs  Rank: TBD

Whether they spend or don't spend they aren't picking the players. The cap dollars spent on PEDSRob and the Sheriff were pretty much wasted.

Which means there's a fundamental disconnect between each coaching regime and person in charge of finding and drafting these players. 

The common denominator in all four years is Trent Baalke. Mind numbing that he still has his job, or, at the minimum, has been demoted with a better person in charge or a layer above him to overrule him or challenge him.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-12-2024, 01:00 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 12:06 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: Check my responses to the OL OG issues thread. I'm right there with you.

You have a shot O-line that you can’t run behind and have no protection to have time to pass the ball downfield. What scheme exactly do you suggest in this scenario?

Part of the reason Engram had 114 catches this year with relatively so few yards attached to that high reception number is because he was catching a bunch short screen passes which was part of the attempted solution to the lack of a real running game.

Not athletic enough for zone, not strong enough for power. 

What are they supposed to do?

They tried chipping with RBs/TEs constantly
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

[Image: giphy.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-12-2024, 01:00 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 12:06 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: Check my responses to the OL OG issues thread. I'm right there with you.

It's simple. 

Press Taylor and Doug Pederson clearly failed to call the pass plays that only require .8 seconds of protection and runs that are meant to allow three defenders into the backfield immediately upon snapping the football.
Those idiots!

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 05:05 PM by snarkyguy_he_him_his. Edited 1 time in total.)

Sigh.

It's their entire job to make things work with what is there.

How can you defend an 8-3 start and a 9-8 finish?

I'm fine if they tried and failed. They didn't try anything. They just said "Hey guys that we know suck, stop sucking!" Cool. Same play! Let's go!

(01-12-2024, 05:02 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: Sigh.

I'm fine if they tried and failed. They didn't try anything. They just said "Hey guys that we know suck, stop sucking!"  Cool. Same play! Let's go!

I agree! Why didn't the defense try tackling instead of just letting the brownies and bungles and ratbirds and tittians just run all the hell over them?

I'm fine if they tried and failed. They didn't try anything. They just said "Hey guys that we know suck, stop sucking!"  Cool. Same play! Let's go!

It's fine that fans are in complain mode after a bad finish to the year.

They just don't all understand how to complain about the actual problems instead of made up problems like "the coaches didn't try anything!" 

That is not accurate and it completely ignores a whole rash of issues that handcuffed the coaches options.

(01-12-2024, 05:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

They just don't all understand how to complain about the actual problems instead of made up problems like "the coaches didn't try anything!" 

That is not accurate and it completely ignores a whole rash of issues that handcuffed the coaches options.

Yup

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 07:53 PM by Jag88. Edited 2 times in total.)

The pass opens up the run. #2 play calling is unbelievably important. Football is the most unique sport like that. #3 it helps when players believe in what you are calling. #4 you can scheme certain players open such as your star players to take pressure off your momentarily struggling quarterback. I can go and on. I would love a new offensive coordinator to jump in to assist or replace the current one. Regardless I love the jags and if press is the best we can do, I will buckle up and ride like always . Crash test dummie with the jags offense.

(01-12-2024, 09:59 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: Can we PLEASE be a smarter/less lazy fan base than blaming play calling. Especially when we all see our deficiencies clear as day. This isn’t that hard.

This isn’t a binary choice. We all agree the O line is trash. But blaming all of the offensive woes on that is just as misguided as blaming them all on Taylor. Both are the problem. Two things can be true at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=u5Z_XUHk2HA&...VktK_AJ_Z3

This is exactly on point!

Just sick of throwing away money when it obviously doesn't matter to the guys making all of it

https://twitter.com/J5_Sports1/status/17...EEg8g&s=19

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Exactly right. 31 teams end the season with things they need to address and improve in the offseason. That can be huge changes or fine tuning certain things. People are acting like the way the season ended we need huge changes and we really don't. We need to address the personnel issues, add some talent and depth, get more out of our better players and so many things will start clicking. We were 8-3, and beating some good teams and being unbeaten on the road was some kind of fluke.

Baalkes got a big summer ahead to address the issues and we hope he gets the decisions right. 

One thing I find interesting every offseason is where fans draw the line on responsibility. The GM signs the player, the HC plays him in a position, the co-ordinator calls the plays, the player executes the plays, the position coach coaches them to execute the plays.

Everyone has their own opinion of where responsibility lies if a player doesn't have a good season or a part of the O or D doesn't perform as expected.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2024, 11:08 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-13-2024, 10:54 AM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 05:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's fine that fans are in complain mode after a bad finish to the year.

Exactly right. 31 teams end the season with things they need to address and improve in the offseason. That can be huge changes or fine tuning certain things. People are acting like the way the season ended we need huge changes and we really don't. We need to address the personnel issues, add some talent and depth, get more out of our better players and so many things will start clicking. We were 8-3, and beating some good teams and being unbeaten on the road was some kind of fluke.

Baalkes got a big summer ahead to address the issues and we hope he gets the decisions right. 

One thing I find interesting every offseason is where fans draw the line on responsibility. The GM signs the player, the HC plays him in a position, the co-ordinator calls the plays, the player executes the plays, the position coach coaches them to execute the plays.

Everyone has their own opinion of where responsibility lies if a player doesn't have a good season or a part of the O or D doesn't perform as expected.
But we do need huge changes.  We need personnel changes on offense and defense.  Also coaching and GM issues, already without a DC right now.  I'd call that huge changes lol.

(01-13-2024, 10:54 AM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 05:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's fine that fans are in complain mode after a bad finish to the year.

You think we have the right GM in the office?  He's gonna get us the right guys to win a SB?